Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 09:53   #3001
BHPian

Ford dealer (Chennai Ford) is quoting 'Essential Pack' of Rs 5800 as part of the OTR price of the car. Forgot to check if he insists on it or customers can opt out.

Anyways, apart from stuff like mudflaps and floor mats (which understandably, most would want to buy anyway), it includes:
System G
Waxoyl paint protection

Can anybody help explain what those two are and whether they are really needed? If these are not critical and can be purchased outside later if desired, is there any point in purchasing them? And for that matter, is it better to get mats from the dealer, or buy them outside?
Old 26th July 2010, 13:52   #3002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Ford dealer (Chennai Ford) is quoting 'Essential Pack' of Rs 5800 as part of the OTR price of the car. Forgot to check if he insists on it or customers can opt out.

Anyways, apart from stuff like mudflaps and floor mats (which understandably, most would want to buy anyway), it includes:
System G
Waxoyl paint protection

Can anybody help explain what those two are and whether they are really needed? If these are not critical and can be purchased outside later if desired, is there any point in purchasing them? And for that matter, is it better to get mats from the dealer, or buy them outside?
From my personal experience -
  • Essential Pack - Its only an option. Even if the dealer insists on it, you can always insist that you do not want (if you don't want it)
  • Dealer floor mats are fabric and tend to get worn out real soon; Useless
  • Mud flaps - i guess not much of a difference with what is available outside, a lit bit of haggling and dealer should give it for free
  • Don't know what's System G
  • Waxoyl paint protection - Think you can get it done outside at the 3M outlet near Teynampet if you require it. Heard dust / grime gets easily attracted because of this paint protection (though i don't buy this logic). I didn'y opt for it as i felt the car's paint as it is is good and will easily hold good for 5 years which is a normal shelf life
  • BTW - All Ford dealers have started giving out freebies to further increase Figo sales. MPL ford gives 3rd year warranty as compliment. A bit more haggling, i guess you can get first year insurance as free (if you are part of their corporate list)
Old 26th July 2010, 14:25   #3003
BHPian

Thanks a lot e-biz, I will check further.

BTW, I did a bit of googling and apparently System G or System G is a fuel additive that is popular with Petrol and Indica diesel users. Not sure why the dealer is pushing that, I will check next time if that is something that Ford actually recommends.
Old 26th July 2010, 14:48   #3004
BHPian

This thread has earlier on recommended that fuel additives are not required. Even the extra premium diesel should not be filled.
Old 26th July 2010, 14:57   #3005
BHPian

Quote:
Any Fiesta or Ikon TDCi owners who have faced this issue can correct or give more inputs
The SE guys once used this to pump out the water collected in the fuel lines.
Eventhough i ended up cleaning the fuel tank.
Old 26th July 2010, 15:23   #3006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post

The carpet floor mat looks very good - but wears out at an unbelievable rate. Only 3 months, and it looks bad. I put a Packy Poda rubber mat over it. For that, you can directly buy the Packy Poda mat and use it.

Mudflaps are fine - and you might get them from outside directly also. Mahindra First Choice would sell them. Floor mat was supposed to come, but has not come till date.

So in my opinion, before you take delivery of your car, get the Floor mat and boot mat yourself and fit them. The Packy Poda mats are available from Xenos - although IMO they are overpriced. You may find them cheaper from shops in Mahalingapuram and GP Road.

Mudflaps - get them fitted elsewhere.

3M/Waxoyl - is cheaper from Balaji Agencies direct. Dealer is a middleman who just makes some money in between.
Old 26th July 2010, 19:43   #3007
BHPian

some observations

Some observations with my Figo which has 4k on ODO

1) The performance is not good with Shell Diesel ?
2) Y'day (sunday afternoon) there was very strong cross winds all along mysore road and I had a tough time keeping Car at 120. I felt the car was struggling when it could have easily been at 120+ (130ish) or so. I have earlier quite easity hit 130 on the same stretch.

With Shell fuel I got 14kmpl on 100% city run. And I think I got 20kmpl with Highway ripping which I felt would have been better from BP normal diesel.

Am kind of attributing all this right now to the Shell fuel. Anybody else with similar experience ?
Old 26th July 2010, 20:56   #3008

At last I took delivery of my Figo Titanium(P) on 21st. As this is my first car I am little elated and excited. But as I am used to my bil's Santro the light and wiper control confuses me a little. Even after 4 days I feel comfortable with the visual clue for the indicator. As such there are two things I am happy with. 1. DTE - which gives me an idea of the distance I can go on with the available fuel based on my driving style of the moment and 2. BT facility in the music system which allows me to answer calls by pressing a button on the audio system and say 'Will call you later, I am driving' as normally I don't attend calls while riding/driving.
I was told that I need not fill up any special fuel like Speed, etc. Just Unleaded petrol is enough and wasn't advised on any additive. Even as I was happily settling into the thought of owning a car I saw this small warning light flashing on the panel which was not on the manual. Resulted in tension, doubt, anger and self pity. I opened and closed all the doors 118 times. The flashing remained. I opened and closed all the windows 78 times. The flashing remained. In frustration I called up their toll free number and complained only to be told that it is just normal flashing which tells that the system is OK! What a relief. But this thread told me that I am not the only one with the butterflies and that the flashing is indicative of 'immobilizer'!
I made a small dent while reversing on the second day itself and thinking of fixing a reversing camera. Saw Mapmyindia navigator whose higher end version can be hooked on to the camera also.
There were one or two smudges on the body and a 5mm chip which were noted down by the person who looked after the delivery at the Velacherry yard of MPL Ford. I was also told that I will be contacted the next day itself by The Ford(!) but couldn't have the pleasure till now. I was also advised that The Ford will contact me for these small aberrations and rectifications:-( Maybe I should give the Sales person a reminder.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-21072010906.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-21072010904.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-dsc02801.jpg  

Old 26th July 2010, 23:22   #3009
BHPian

@Puyal
Congrats on you first car man, good choice
And personally I think Figo looks best in white and the ford original alloys add to it.
Mind sharing the cost split-up including alloys and seat covers (G-sport?) and how your search ended in a Figo?
And also did you manage any freebies from the dealer?
A slightly dark tint would add to the overall appeal of the car.
Old 27th July 2010, 00:25   #3010

I've got the delivery of my Figo 1.2 Petrol EXI two days ago. I find the gear box feel to be significantly different from the test drive vehicles. It feels as if the gear shift is going through "multiple notches/stages" instead of one smooth motion. About 4 times, even after slotting the gear in the 1st gear position, the car refused to move and I had to re-apply the gear. Is this normal with a new car or should I have this checked up?
Old 27th July 2010, 07:11   #3011
h.k
BHPian

I own a figo with 3rd year extended warranty. though initially they had mentioned that extended warranty included all parts etc etc, later i found out that it does not include suspension(up to 35000kms only) and so on, therefore read the complete terms before 3rd year warranty payment is made.
Old 27th July 2010, 10:01   #3012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhnanda View Post
I've got the delivery of my Figo 1.2 Petrol EXI two days ago. I find the gear box feel to be significantly different from the test drive vehicles. It feels as if the gear shift is going through "multiple notches/stages" instead of one smooth motion. About 4 times, even after slotting the gear in the 1st gear position, the car refused to move and I had to re-apply the gear. Is this normal with a new car or should I have this checked up?
You have to fully press the clutch and engage the gear. Don't grip the handle but use your palm to push the lever away from you to the front.

As I posted earlier, the fuel level needle moves in sync with the DTE figures. Last time , I ran till DTE showing '0' and the cut off figure was 31.5 lit., which means that the car had around 14 lit of fuel in the tank. In the last refill, the DTE was showing 49 and the cut off was at 34.3.

So there is no way of knowing the actual fuel left in the tank. As long as the DTE errs on the safe side it is OK. But you may get stranded with DTE showing 15 or 20 and no fuel in the tank.

It is advisable to fill when the DTE warning comes up.

I will update the FE in my ownership thread
Old 27th July 2010, 12:27   #3013
BHPian

Why rely on the DTE for quantiy of fuel left in the tank...what about the fuel gauge indicator (the one with the needle)...is it not there in the Figo?
Old 27th July 2010, 12:36   #3014
Senior - BHPian

In the review of the Figo here Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community - Test Drives

It is mentioned that Figo diesel's highway performance is sad and it cries above 120 KMPS. Is that right? I have recently done a trip which required me to go on Expressway, I never intended to push the car hard but to my surprise I found that Figo was crusing at 145!! And I did not push the gas pedal too hard either.

If other owners too feel the same the review should be corrected!
Old 27th July 2010, 12:38   #3015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Why rely on the DTE for quantiy of fuel left in the tank...what about the fuel gauge indicator (the one with the needle)...is it not there in the Figo?
Figo's low fuel warning comes when DTE is 80 or less, this is irrespective of fuel gauge.

Yes Figo has a fuel gauge.

Most Viewed