Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2012, 14:09   #7531
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
You are correct, the coolant temperature is what is used as an input for the temperature sensor. As for the gauge, you could drive in the test mode once in while to keep a tab on the kind of temperatures your engine's reaching.
Good point, I should probably do that just to get an idea of the temp in different operating conditions. Might come in handy. Its been a while since I actually tried the test mode. If I recall to activate it we need to turn the key and start the car with the trip meter button pressed, right?
Old 17th December 2012, 14:13   #7532

Hi

The Race chip is an awesome addition to your ride if your looking for additional power as and when required. It really makes the Figo come even more alive

Also I have installed the Philips 110/90 bulbs with the relay setup and have noticed a sizeable improvement in visibility

I will try it on Ghodbunder Road sometime this weekend This road is partially unlit and has trucks with blinding lights on it so it shall be a good test

Also got through to the Hella guy in Bombay He said it would cost around INR 5000 for the 500 FF with harness and INR 6000 for the 700 FF In case anyone needs details please PM me
Old 17th December 2012, 15:10   #7533
BHPian

Recently i have had my highway trip Chennai-Tvm-Chennai. Falling in love again with my Figo TDCI. It was a breeze to drive Figo in speeds 90-130 km/hr. Its a pure highway car. Returns me a mileage of ~19 kmpl. If you fill your tank up at Chennai you can reach TVM without refilling :-). My bro who had Polo (P) literally crying hearing this :-).

Felt like travelling in a big car. Even though the seats are narrow its quite comfortable. Hold the steering, tap the accelerator while approaching a curve. you will love the Figo again and again.

For me Figo is not a city car. Its steering is not feather light, and its suspension is not soft. I will not suggest Figo for anyone who drives ONLY in city, for city i will suggest lighter car like Micra D/Beat D.

One thing i noticed, I find TDCI is butter smooth if you fill diesel from HP.

Last edited by DRIVE_ADDICT : 17th December 2012 at 15:11.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 10:14   #7534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post

I have the same experience. Not certain about the smoothness but definitely my mileage drops if i fill Indianoil by about 15% compared to HP.
Old 18th December 2012, 10:30   #7535
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
I have the same experience. Not certain about the smoothness but definitely my mileage drops if i fill Indianoil by about 15% compared to HP.
This is interesting. I consistently fill from Indian Oil outlets since i have the citi IOC card and i get 15.xx in city and 19.xx on highways (85 - 100 generally with short bursts once in a while)
Let me try HPCL for a 3k km trip which is coming up.
Old 18th December 2012, 10:40   #7536
BHPian

Posting this on behalf of my colleague.

"I recently bought my Figo Titanium Petrol in September 2012. My daily run in Bangalore city is about 15 kms on an average. I'm yet to take her out on the highway. The car has clocked only 2300+ kms as of yet and I'm getting a paltry milage of 9kmpl (80% AC) in bumper to bumper traffic. Is there anything that I can do to increase this like changing tyres (using stock) or filters? I think I'm a pretty decent driver as I used to get 14kmpl (80% AC) off my Wagon R earlier on. I don't drive rash at all. What sort of mileage should I expect with this car in a long run? And what sort of mileage are you guys getting in you Petrol Figo? Thanks in advance."
Old 18th December 2012, 11:10   #7537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
I think I'm a pretty decent driver as I used to get 14kmpl (80% AC) off my Wagon R earlier on. I don't drive rash at all. What sort of mileage should I expect with this car in a long run? And what sort of mileage are you guys getting in you Petrol Figo? Thanks in advance."
Well at 2300kms I dont think he gas done his first service yet.
Unfortunately In the figo petrol,thats the mileage he is going to get in the city with AC. Aftet first service, he can hope to get better performance, but I doubt any improvements in the mileage.

I still get 9-10kmpl in thr city with AC and 14-15 on spirited highway driving. At sedate speeds of 80kmph however, I get upto 17kmpl. And perhaps after the 20000km service that I recently got done, the mileage should increase a bit more as the car feels a lot smoother.

As for modifications, the free mod would be to take alternate route to his work where its relatively traffic free or start early from home Thats my mod for getting better mileage in city.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 18th December 2012 at 11:12.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 11:14   #7538
Senior - BHPian

Guys, any observations pertaining to BP? I have been filling up BP since the beginning & I have been averaging at about 21-22 kmpl to the litre, with about 80% without AC.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Old 18th December 2012, 11:21   #7539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

"I recently bought my Figo Titanium Petrol in September 2012. My daily run in Bangalore city is about 15 kms on an average. I'm yet to take her out on the highway. The car has clocked only 2300+ kms as of yet and I'm getting a paltry milage of 9kmpl (80% AC) in bumper to bumper traffic. Is there anything that I can do to increase this like changing tyres (using stock) or filters? I think I'm a pretty decent driver as I used to get 14kmpl (80% AC) off my Wagon R earlier on. I don't drive rash at all. What sort of mileage should I expect with this car in a long run? And what sort of mileage are you guys getting in you Petrol Figo? Thanks in advance."
I have a diesel figo but also have a Ikon Petrol which I use for my office runs and I also get 9-10kmpl in bumper to bumper rush hr traffic. Earlier when Ikon was my primary car and driven all 7 days of the week, I used to get 11-12 kmpl in the city but ever since its reduced to occasional office commute I am yet to get more than 10kmpl. Your friend can expect some improvement as engine settles but dont expect drastic improvements on the petrol. Btw even my diesel Figo gives 13-14kmpl in city traffic. This is with 100% AC.

Quote:
Guys, any observations pertaining to BP? I have been filling up BP since the beginning & I have been averaging at about 21-22 kmpl to the litre, with about 80% without AC.
You are getting 21-22 and still want more, you are being greedy now . I havn't tried BP ever so cant tell much. Normally I get 13-14kmpl in Bangalore city traffic and ~18kmpl on highway with 100% AC. Hoping it might improve a bit after 2nd service coming up shortly.
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 11:27   #7540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car has clocked only 2300+ kms as of yet and I'm getting a paltry milage of 9kmpl (80% AC) in bumper to bumper traffic.
The petrol engine on the Ford Figo is not known to be very efficient. It is probably the worst among the 1.2l club along with the Fiat Punto 1.2l. The efficiency numbers your friend is getting is no surprise. Not much you can do about it. A better way to get more efficiency out of this engine is to not baby it and drive. Most folk think that keeping as light a foot on the throttle keeps efficiency at the maximum. On the Ford Figo petrol, it is probably better to rev the engine to a more optimum engine speed than lug the engine which will cause increased fuel consumption. The Figo is a heavy little hatch with a wheezy petrol engine. Don't waste time on air filter upgrades and tires. I doubt if there will be so much an improvement to even the costs.

I bet the 1.6l engine found in the Ford Classic will be more efficient that the 1.2l in the Figo as it is not struggling to move the car which is the case with the 1.2l engine. Ford should just dump the 1.2l and offer the 1.6l as standard and not as a variant. It will increase the cost of the car for sure but will make the Figo petrol a stronger case to consider.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 11:35   #7541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been feeding the 1.4 Tdci unit with BP outlet(Advaith) and the mileage is consistent(15+ in city roads, 20 in highways with moderate AC usage).

I do 'feel' the engine more smoother and responsive when filled in HP outlets.

Last edited by ramzsys : 18th December 2012 at 11:36.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 11:47   #7542
BHPian

Quote:
I dont know about mileage differences, but from my experience i will say TDCI is smoother with HP. I had filled it up with BP and IOC but i find TDCI likes BP's diesel. It clatters less and feel a bit more refined.

And it seems others also feels the same here

Last edited by DRIVE_ADDICT : 18th December 2012 at 11:49.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 15:13   #7543
BHPian

Quote:
Recently i have had my highway trip Chennai-Tvm-Chennai. Falling in love again with my Figo TDCI. It was a breeze to drive Figo in speeds 90-130 km/hr. Its a pure highway car.

For me Figo is not a city car. Its steering is not feather light, and its suspension is not soft. I will not suggest Figo for anyone who drives ONLY in city, for city i will suggest lighter car like Micra D/Beat D.
I completely agree that Figo is very stable at high speeds and offer excellent steering feedback even in high speed. It has superb road handling when I drove in few corners. In my 4400kms of ownership of Figo, 2700kms(60%) are highway drives.

But I donot agree your statement that it is not a city car (ofcourse diesel cars are bit hard in accelaration) I compared old gen ddis swift which has turbo lag at 2k rpm, till it reaches 2k, it was irritating. But in Figo the turbo lag is upto some 1.6k rpm only, it has very minimal turbo lag, hence Figo tdci is easier to drive in city traffic compared to ddis old gen swift and i20 crdi. But after 2k rpm in 3rd gear, swift & i20 pulls better than Figo.
But agree that Figo's hydraulic steering is not butter smooth as Electric power steerings.
Old 18th December 2012, 15:57   #7544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
But I donot agree your statement that it is not a city car (ofcourse diesel cars are bit hard in accelaration) I compared old gen ddis swift which has turbo lag at 2k rpm, till it reaches 2k, it was irritating. But in Figo the turbo lag is upto some 1.6k rpm only, it has very minimal turbo lag, hence Figo tdci is easier to drive in city traffic compared to ddis old gen swift and i20 crdi. But after 2k rpm in 3rd gear, swift & i20 pulls better than Figo.
But agree that Figo's hydraulic steering is not butter smooth as Electric power steerings.
May be me and im talking as a whole package not just the engine.
I felt Figo is bit tougher when compared to Swift D (new gen), Micra D and Beat D. All of these cars have EPS so they were feather lite and easy to maneuver in parking speeds.
Also in Figo slow speed ride over bumpy roads makes you FEEL the bump due to stiffer suspension and low slung seating.

Ofcourse these are the reason why we enjoying our highway run.
Old 18th December 2012, 16:33   #7545
BHPian

Hey Everybody,
I've been getting heavy rattling sounds from the rear and squeaking sounds while braking .Took it to the A.S.S today and met an old technician who used to service my innova .

The rattling issues couldn't be sorted out as the car became eerily silent during the road test but the braking issue took an interesting twist.

He gave me some insight about the standard service procedure at Ford .

ODO : 42300 KM
Previous Service : 40000 KM

Brake Pads where replaced during this service .

While braking , the braking pad clasps the rotating Disc ( Front ) . When braked harshly , they create some sort of concentric circles on the disc . When the brake pads are changed , generally the disc surface is machined ( reamed ) to eliminate the circular markings . Ford Does not do this . Thus one gets a mild hum when the brake is applied due to the new pads clasping the uneven brake disc. The sound is unpredictable .

So the only recommended solution is to change the brake disc , though it still has life .

Most Viewed