Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2013, 09:54   #7651
Senior - BHPian

Infamous stalling problem still exists in figo? My brother just called and told me that it happend to my figo thirty minutes back. He over took a bus and was caming back to left lane, suddenly car stalls. Since its first time experience, he got confused and tried to drive car out of road. But he ended up with locked steering infront of bus he overtook. How horrible is that!! He was in third gear when he over took.

My Figo is 2012 Feb made. Planning to sell off my figo, life is more precious than VFM tag and pleasure to drive. I would rather be happy with not so good looking RITZ or a Vista.

Also any one has sued or escalated this issue to ford. Please provide me the contact details or procedure.
recshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 12:10   #7652
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Infamous stalling problem still exists in figo? My brother just called and told me that it happend to my figo thirty minutes back. He over took a bus and was caming back to left lane, suddenly car stalls. Since its first time experience, he got confused and tried to drive car out of road. But he ended up with locked steering infront of bus he overtook
OMG!!

I guess the steering wont lock if the key is in 'Ignition On' position. Correct me if 'am wrong. May be since the power assistance for the steering dies makes him felt the steering locked.

I guess this scenario occurs while decelerating with clutch pressed. if the car shut down like this while in motion with clutch pressed, whether releasing the clutch wont start the car back?

Last edited by DRIVE_ADDICT : 7th February 2013 at 12:13.
Old 7th February 2013, 12:27   #7653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planning to sell off my figo, life is more precious than VFM tag and pleasure to drive. I would rather be happy with not so good looking RITZ or a Vista.
Dont Sell. Get a Remap Done.
gemithomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 16:13   #7654
BHPian

Quote:
But he ended up with locked steering infront of bus he overtook.
He might have ended up with a hard steering, but not a locked steering. The steering lock works only if you turn off the ignition, turn the key to the last position and take the key out.
I totally agree that this might have been a really horrible experience for him. Good that everything ended up fine.

But I have a question here. Almost all the stalling issues reported here have happened, when the clutch was depressed. Even I had a stalled car once, when I was downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. I depressed the clutch and the engine just died. If it happened while overtaking and not while the clutch was disengaged, I feel that the problem may be something else.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 01:11   #7655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Dont Sell. Get a Remap Done.
I guess this is the best solution looking at the seriousness of this stalling problem. But car is just 10 months old and i have 2 more years of warranty on car. Especially with wierd warranty clause of ford, don't want to take chance. Also how reliable is remap? it wont cause any new issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
OMG!!

I guess the steering wont lock if the key is in 'Ignition On' position. Correct me if 'am wrong. May be since the power assistance for the steering dies makes him felt the steering locked.

I guess this scenario occurs while decelerating with clutch pressed. if the car shut down like this while in motion with clutch pressed, whether releasing the clutch wont start the car back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
He might have ended up with a hard steering, but not a locked steering. T...., I feel that the problem may be something else.
yeah. I had spoken to my brother as soon as it happened in Mangalore today morning. I was sleeping happily in Bangalore and he calls me to tell this incident. He was shaken by incident so i dint ask him more information in the morning. Just got basic info and update right-away using team-bhp mobile app. some time back spoke to him and this is the sequence of events he explained. (just like Nat-Geo, minutes before disaster)

He is driving figo on left lane, and there is a bus in front of him which is also on left lane. He gets an opportunity to overtake the bus. (At this point he is on fourth gear)

Over takes the bus at fourth gear and there comes a diversion (people familiar with Mangalore roads, its just after Kuloor bridge where flyover begins and there is also a diversion to go towards airport). So he changes gear to 3rd from fourth

AND "yes you are right DRIVE_ADDICT / A350XWB", this is when he realized that 3rd gear instead of reducing the speed has stalled the car. So this is the infamous stalling issue for sure.

Yes, its not steering lock but hardening of the steering due to system shutdown. He tried moving car to left when he realized that it has stalled, but with diversion ahead and once he found that steering is not moving, he assumed that steering has locked and concentrated fully on getting the car started. Without warning and without any prior history/ knowledge of stalling problem of Figo, i am sure seriously this is scary. Thankfully nothing happened due to GOD`s grace.

My next step would be to escalate it to Ford and i will try hard to get this in media. Any contacts or suggestions folks ? At least in my company and through social media i will spread this message about stalling problem is figo. Hope it at least saves some accidents and forces Ford to recall all these defective crap they have been selling for 3 years.
Old 8th February 2013, 14:52   #7656
BHPian

Quote:
Also how reliable is remap?
I guess, your car being only 10 month old should have come with the remapped ECU. If it is still stalling, it is unreliable.

That said, I have not had a problem since the remap in sept 2012. I think most of the Figo owners here who had the remap also did not have a recurrence.

Last edited by Deep Blue : 8th February 2013 at 14:55.
Old 8th February 2013, 15:52   #7657
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
He is driving figo on left lane, and there is a bus in front of him which is also on left lane. He gets an opportunity to overtake the bus. (At this point he is on fourth gear)

AND "yes you are right DRIVE_ADDICT / A350XWB", this is when he realized that 3rd gear instead of reducing the speed has stalled the car. So this is the infamous stalling issue for sure.
Something doesn't sound right here. If he shifted to 3rd and released the clutch, the engine always starts back up again (like a push start). Unless he pressed the clutch to shift into 3rd but put it in neutral once it stalled. The minute you release the clutch in any gear it will start up again.

With my old firmware I faced the same issue like you mentioned. Was in 4th gear and wanted to downshift. Pressed the clutch and rpm dropped and stalled. Lights came on and the beep beep. Momentarily I got perplexed but since I was changing down, I completed the shift and as soon as the clutch released, it started up again. This happened to me 3 times but since I was in the middle of a gear change, i completed the shift and it came on again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
That said, I have not had a problem since the remap in sept 2012. I think most of the Figo owners here who had the remap also did not have a recurrence.
I had the remap update in Nov 2011. Been more than one year and the stalling issue has never happened to me after that.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 16:48   #7658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

The minute you release the clutch in any gear it will start up again.
Thank you Vid6639, You cleared my doubt which i posted in my previous post. The vehicle should start back by releasing the clutch after completing the shift.
Old 8th February 2013, 16:54   #7659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess this is the best solution looking at the seriousness of this stalling problem. But car is just 10 months old and i have 2 more years of warranty on car. Especially with wierd warranty clause of ford, don't want to take chance. Also how reliable is remap? it wont cause any new issues?
Hey even i have a Feb '12 TDCi and I also face the stalling problem. Its not very often but it does happen once in a 2 months or so. The signature of my stalling is normally when I am slowing down with clutch pressed thats when engine goes off. As someone said 1st time it was scary, next time onwards just release the clutch with gear and it starts back. But i completely understand your BiL's panic since in an unknown car in a tricky situation it can be difficult to handle. I just got my ECU S/W updated during 2nd service. Lets see if the problem is gone or not.
Old 8th February 2013, 18:56   #7660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
I guess, your car being only 10 month old should have come with the remapped ECU. If it is still stalling, it is unreliable.

i confused the remap to performance Remap like RRP yeah i have already blasted A>S>S for selling such vehicles. Need to go tomorrow at 10.

Quote:
Something doesn't sound right here. If he shifted to 3rd and released the clutch,

I had the remap update in Nov 2011. Been more than one year and the stalling issue has never happened to me after that.
Maybe again what you said is correct. At that moment my bro pressed clutch and it was all panic to re-start the car. Also there are some rough roads around that area and an incline towards flyover, so that might have slowed down the car. Hence third gear failed to jump the car ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Hey even i have a Feb '12 TDCi and I also face the stalling problem. ECU S/W updated during 2nd service. Lets see if the problem is gone or not.
yeah. its all with first time occurence of problem. Now we are very careful with the car. I will get ECU updated tomorrow on priority. Today my brother is very much ok and has gone to Goa for relaxing

By the way, i have another problem to talk about too. My Figo's already feeble single tone horn doesn't work for first few kilometers. Take out car in morning and horn doesnt work. Drive for 5 kilometers and it starts working. This has been happening for month and half now. Since we were busy we some how adjusted. In between horn behavior was even more weird. After 5 minutes of drive, horn starts working and after 30-35 minutes of drive it some times works and some times doesnt. When i was out of station, my brother got issue fixed from A.S.S. This issue has started again now a days.

I combined both the blasting and told "this time get me a new horn, no more repairs". More updates tomorrow once I come back from A.S.S

Last edited by recshenoy : 8th February 2013 at 19:00.
Old 8th February 2013, 19:16   #7661
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Maybe again what you said is correct. At that moment my bro pressed clutch and it was all panic to re-start the car. Also there are some rough roads around that area and an incline towards flyover, so that might have slowed down the car. Hence third gear failed to jump the car ?
3rd gear will start the car even at 20kmph. If his speed was any lower and going down to 3rd from 4th then the engine stalled because the speed was too slow for that gear and not because the ecu issue.
Old 8th February 2013, 20:34   #7662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3rd gear will start the car even at 20kmph. If his speed was any lower and going down to 3rd from 4th then the engine stalled because the speed was too slow for that gear and not because the ecu issue.
Thanks vid for reply. Ok my hypothesis is wrong. Stalling due to low speed was possible if it was Learner driving the vehicle but driver had already driven close to 12K on same car and 20K on some other cars. Engine shutdown in-between gears happened for sure and its definitely not due to bad driving practice of driving at <20kmph on 4/3 gear. Exactly what happened once engine got shutdown can’t be recalled since it’s a panic situation for driver and not sure what exactly he did. Spoke to him multiple times and all he could say was “over took as usual, changed the gear from 4th to 3rd and in couple of moments I realized that car has slowed down and steering is too hard, plus bus guy behind is honking”.
Even I asked similar question like a prosecutor “were you too slow hence the car got stalled in higher gears “ for which I got sarcastic answer “ yeah! I overtook bus moving at 40 kmph in a car which was moving at 20kmph and stalled the car”.

I remember even my manager telling about his Figo stalling coupleof times on Nice Road. I had not interrogated much and requested him to get Software fix soon.

All said and done even if I assume my car stalling was not due to ECU issue( assumption but it was ESU issue), going through all other stalling issues reported by owners till now, surely there is problem with Figo. My point is why Ford is not proactively recalling cars to upgrade the software? Only once problem happens and owner realizes problem, they upgrade software!!

PS: Sorry if I sound like Sheldon Cooper, been watching too much of Big Bang Theory now a days

Last edited by recshenoy : 8th February 2013 at 20:36.
Old 8th February 2013, 21:09   #7663
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

All said and done even if I assume my car stalling was not due to ECU issue( assumption but it was ECU issue), going through all other stalling issues reported by owners till now, surely there is problem with Figo. My point is why Ford is not proactively recalling cars to upgrade the software? Only once problem happens and owner realizes problem, they upgrade software!
Initially the dealer here refused to accept the problem. After escalating on facebook, Ford contacted me and asked me to go to dealer and they will update the firmware on ECU. Went to same dealer and he says you didn't have to escalate to Ford, we could have solved the issue. Told them, when you guys don't even know the problem exists, how will you fix it?

Finally my ECU was reflashed with the new firmware version and problem has not recurred in 1.5 years.

By the way for me the issue happened once at 80kmph once from 5th to 4th which is why I said it can happen but once i released the clutch in 4th it came back on.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 21:58   #7664
BHPian

Quote:

i confused the remap to performance Remap like RRP yeah i have already blasted A>S>S for selling such vehicles. Need to go tomorrow at 10.
I was there today (Cauvery Ford, Mangalore) for my 40k service.
When I went for ECU update last September, they were aware of the problem and readily did the updation.
Old 10th February 2013, 21:12   #7665
BHPian

Hi all,

Just wanted to check on mileage figures for figo tdci. Mine has done 9300 on the odo. Only first servicing done. However have got the engine oil changed once at 2k.

Has been consistently giving 12.5 to 13 in Blr city traffic. I do an average of 25 km every day in city traffic with multiple short trips. In fact more than 70% of that would be bumper to bumper traffic in high traffic density roads. AC is on 50% of time in City conditions.

Have observed that highway mileage is around 17 for consistent speeds of 80-90 kmph with ocassional 100-110 kmph and with 100% AC.

I may agree with city mileage but was expecting more on the highway. Since mine is due for second service, wanted to check if there is anything i can get checked with regard to mileage.

Thanks in advance for your inputs,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks