Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2014, 15:22   #9451
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

An old sound had resurfaced since last month. A metal to metal tak-tak sound somewhere in the front specially when I go over potholes, rough roads, undulations. No sound in smooth roads. I guessed something in the suspension had given up.The guys at Cauvery Ford, Mangalore said it is from some clip in the back seat!
I took it to my mechanic as the sound was getting worse who said it is either the tie rod or the link rod and that I go to Ford itself as they dont give spares outside.
Back to Cauvery Ford at Mangalore and they found the play in the link rod joint with the strut to be too much and replaced them both(left and right).
Now there is no sound, car is driving fine. I have attached a pic.

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-photo-280714-2-02-42-pm.jpg

Last edited by Deep Blue : 28th July 2014 at 15:23.
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 16:03   #9452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
my 2012 Figo TDCi that has done 24K km and noticed some oil leaks. One is around the turbo and the 2nd one much bigger on the back side of the engine block. Not sure if these are leaks as I dont see any drip marks in my parking, or this happened during one of the injector changes that happened sometime back.
The blowby connection also seems to be leaking, so am not sure whether the blowby is contributing to these patches.An injector change without proper torquing can also lead to blowby from the injector seat. Can you check around your injectors as well?

Also try to monitor your Oil levels in the morning,to find out if you are losing oil drastically.This could mean that the turbo seal itself is faulty.But for a 24K run vehicle, not expecting that.

Last edited by nijelj : 28th July 2014 at 16:14.
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 20:29   #9453
BHPian

Did my 30K service a couple of weeks back. Had complained about a whining noise that increases linearly with acceleration. It was diagnosed to be a bearing failure with the tensioner pulley. Cost of replacement for the pulley ~ 5K. Covered under warranty only till 2 years. Mine was at 2 years and 2 months then. So was told that I had to pay out of the pocket. After some email exchanges with Ford, they finally agreed to replace it under warranty as a Goodwill measure. The labour charges had to be borne by me though.

Now for the interesting part - two new problems developed after the 30K service.
1) A noise of something pumping/rotating from the engine bay, along with the regular diesel clatter. Happens both when cold and under normal running conditions. Can hear it from outside, even with the bonnet closed. From inside the cabin it is a bit muted, but is audible in certain instances, especially when you decelerate and come to a stop.

2)The engine running a 'bit' rough in the morning, after a cold start is normal I understand. But mine sounds like it is grinding a metal or stone during these cold starts. The sound subsides after the temperature reaches 81C and ultimately smoothens out. Till then, it is a harrowing experience in the driver's seat.

For the first problem, the SAs at MPL ford initially agreed that they too could hear this additional noise. For the first time, I did not have to pull my hair out, before they acknowledge the problem. However after working on the vehicle for a good 4 hours or so, they call me from the lounge and say the problem is fixed. I could see no improvement though. It sounded the same to me. They all surround and tried convincing me that it indeed is fixed. I refused to budge and pay a whopping labour bill of about ~1.5k for a problem which is not fixed.

They finally suggested that I try driving the car for a day or two, and if I still see the problem linger (!) I bring back the car and leave it with them for 2-3 days, so that they could spend enough time and fix it.

Meanwhile shot a video with the sound that I am complaining about and sent an email to the SM, with another video as reference from a normal Figo to compare. Here are the links:

Mine (audible at 0:09, 1:00, 1:39, 2:07, 2:33, 3:05):

Reference:

Thought will take your thoughts, before I visit them again.

The second noise complaint (on cold starts) is going to be even more difficult for me to demonstrate and for them to fix and verify. Phew.
Old 3rd August 2014, 14:19   #9454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
The blowby connection also seems to be leaking, so am not sure whether the blowby is contributing to these patches.An injector change without proper torquing can also lead to blowby from the injector seat. Can you check around your injectors as well?

Also try to monitor your Oil levels in the morning,to find out if you are losing oil drastically.This could mean that the turbo seal itself is faulty.But for a 24K run vehicle, not expecting that.
The engine oil levels are stable. I check that on regularly. Plus there are no drip marks either in the parking spot. Will get it checked by service center once just to be sure.
Old 6th August 2014, 16:58   #9455
BHPian

Guys,

I am planning to replace stock air filter with a K&N stock replacement filter. I wanted to know the part number of K&N stock replacement filter which will fit in Figo Diesel. I searched on internet but couldnt find the part number. Please help.

Cheers
Kiran
Old 7th August 2014, 09:54   #9456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
Guys,

I am planning to replace stock air filter with a K&N stock replacement filter. I wanted to know the part number of K&N stock replacement filter which will fit in Figo Diesel. I searched on internet but couldnt find the part number. Please help.

Cheers
Kiran
http://www.knfilters.com/search/apps...ta&engine=1.4L
Old 7th August 2014, 10:06   #9457
BHPian

My 4 month and 7000 km new Figo TDCi has developed noise from the front left suspension (my guess). The sound is more like plastic rattle and is persisting in nature. In two minds whether to take the car to the A.S.S. immediately or to wait it out till the scheduled 10k service (within 2 months time). Please advice.
Old 7th August 2014, 10:08   #9458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by limited-edition View Post
It doesn't look like it. The Figo's air filter is more rectangular. I don't think the Figo's filter would be listed on their international website anyways. Snapdeal has the Figo-specific K&N filter for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
My 4 month and 7000 km new Figo TDCi has developed noise from the front left suspension (my guess). The sound is more like plastic rattle and is persisting in nature. In two minds whether to take the car to the A.S.S. immediately or to wait it out till the scheduled 10k service (within 2 months time). Please advice.
Most probably it's the infamous brake caliper noise. It should be something like a metallic rattle while going over rough patches. You can check it by kicking the tire hard when the car is still and see if it makes the clanking noise. Better to wait till the routine service unless you feel uncomfortable driving around with that clatter.

Last edited by jayded : 7th August 2014 at 10:11.
Old 11th August 2014, 10:58   #9459
BHPian

Hi Guys!
I have recently joined Team BHP and have been following this thread since long as I own a Ford Figo TDCi . Well she is 1.8 years old and has clocked 29000kms on odo.

She is due for her 30000 kms servicing soon. I was feeling engine noise has gone up and had replaced engine oil at 23000 kms with Shell Helix fully synthetic. Since then she is smooth and silent on cold start as well as run. Also I have observed whenever I go for Shell's diesel which has additives; and is costlier by Rs 4 per ltr than usual diesel, engine further goes smooth and less noisy.

I read somewhere on Team BHP not to go for premium diesel fuel as it might damage the engine. Is it so?

Also I am in a dilemma whether to change the oil during next servicing or let her run till 33000kms and then change again to fully synthetic. Ford service center guys always replace engine oil with semi synthetic and I don't want to run on semi synthetic from synthetic. But again I might lose on a warranty if I don’t change the oil as per the schedule .

Last edited by moralfibre : 11th August 2014 at 12:19.
Old 11th August 2014, 21:51   #9460
BHPian

Hi guys...

Can somebody please help me understand which type of Fog Lamp bulbs are used for Ford Figo's default setup. My bulbs have conked off and the dealership in concern (Wasan Ford) is askin 1600 for a pair. I know for sure that they are of 55 watts. What i don't know is their type (h1 h8 h11 etc)
Old 11th August 2014, 22:16   #9461
BHPian

My new Ford Figo fails emission test + fuel gauge problem

Hello!
Before I describe the issues, here are specifications about my car:
Make - Ford Figo 1.4 TDCi [Titanium]
Manufacture - March 2013
Registration - 30 August 2013
Odometer - 15,200 kms

1. Emission test failure
My emission testing is done at a particular trusted station who also does the testing for my Skoda Yeti. There aren't a lot of testing centres in Delhi for Diesel vehicles anyway, and he conveniently gives me a certificate valid for 1 whole year (which is the rule for BSIV vehicles apparently).
As my Figo turns one year old soon, I decided to pay this guy a visit to get my first PUC certificate last week. After a lot of trials for over 20 minutes, he had to give me a certificate of failure because the exhaust readings were above the limits. There was also visible and considerable amounts of smoke coming out during the test (which I thought was normal as my car does emit black smoke beyond 3000rpm).

Disappointed as I am, I could not pinpoint what could have happened that my car would fail the emission test. The car is driven for about 60 kilometres daily, in city limits of New Delhi. I consider myself a fairly good driver who does shifts to fifth gear at 45kmph. I even follow Ford's instructions on cleaning out the exhaust every week [revving up to 3000rpm for 30 seconds]. All in all, it's a baby taken good care of.

Now, to the questions:
a. Is there any chance in a millennium that a new car, not even a year old, could fail emission test norms?
b. Considering the car is still under warranty, will I get replacements/repair for free [since air filters are usually charged]?
c. Should I consider a second opinion? [I haven't because it's a trusted station and I don't think his equipment was out of order]

2. My car's fuel gauge and distance-to-empty (DTE) meter has given me quite a few problems too.
Being a college student, I don't always have money for fuel. So I don't follow the golden rule of fuelling up when the gauge reaches half empty, but the not-so-shiny rule of going to the station when the bar has reached the red area and the low fuel light has turned on.
Now, as a standard measure, my dealer had warned me about the DTE meter not being accurate, and I had thought a variance of around 20 kms should not be much of a problem. As far as I know, the DTE meter triggers the low-fuel light at 80 kms; whether it is in any way connected to the fuel gauge is something I am not sure of. The car gives me an almost-empty warning at which the engine starts revving un-uniformly and stops responding to the accelerator. This usually gives me two minutes to quickly stop the car, run to the next fuel station and get diesel in a canister.
What's odd, however, is the timing of these occurences. Both literally and figuratively. Literally because, twice when this has happened, the DTE was at 56 kms and 88 kms respectively. The fuel gauge hadn't even reached the red area on the second time. Figurately because once I was in a hurry to catch a flight and the other time at 6.30 am while I was on my way to surprise my girlfriend before she woke up on her birthday.

Questions:
a. How is the calculation of DTE that inaccurate? What is the use of having a feature that's in fact causing trouble instead of avoiding it?
b. Are the readings supposed to be that haywire?
c. My dealer said that the DTE problems are standard and that everyone gets inaccurate readings. He refused to take a look at it saying there's nothing he can do. What do I do in this situation?

Last edited by bblost : 11th August 2014 at 23:34. Reason: Please use no more than 2 smileys per post.
Old 11th August 2014, 22:28   #9462
BHPian

Guys,

Had been to Chennai from Bangalore over the weekend and observed few things which are listed below. Hope fellow BHPians can shed some light on these.

1. I felt the overall NVH levels in my Figo TDCI was less in Chennai when compared to Bangalore. Is it because of Chennai's altitude (at sea level), moisture in the air, air density w.r.t. Bangalore?

2. While on Chennai - Bangalore highway, the AC stopped blowing air. I mean the blower was working/spinning (as if its getting choked) but there was no air which was blown. It was like this for about an hour and suddenly it started working. This happened multiple times and it got fixed by itself. I tried different speed settings of the blower but to no use. I could hear the blower motor running at full speed when set at 4, but literally there was no air blowing from the AC vents. What is wrong? Should I get the AC checked. Please help.
Old 11th August 2014, 22:34   #9463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by limited-edition View Post
I bought K&N filter part number 33-2955, but unfortunately it wont fit 1.4 TDCI. It is specifically for Fiesta 1.5L i.e. 6th generation Fiesta. Now I have to sell and buy another one.

The part number for 1.4TDCI mill is 33-2840

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...d=1582408&rw=1
Old 11th August 2014, 22:47   #9464
BHPian

re: My new Ford Figo fails emission test + fuel gauge problem

As a fellow Figo owner, my 2 cents:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbiDas View Post
a. Is there any chance in a millennium that a new car, not even a year old, could fail emission test norms?
Very unlikely, but possible if something is wrong. If I were you, I would show it to the workshop.
Quote:

b. Considering the car is still under warranty, will I get replacements/repair for free [since air filters are usually charged]?
Obviously it depends on what needs repair. But there is no point speculating, best is to show it to the workshop asap.
Quote:

c. Should I consider a second opinion? [I haven't because it's a trusted station and I don't think his equipment was out of order]
Not sure about this.
Quote:

a. How is the calculation of DTE that inaccurate? What is the use of having a feature that's in fact causing trouble instead of avoiding it?
I have a 2011 Figo Tdci. I find the DTE quite accurate. This is the first time I am hearing about this problem in a Figo.
Quote:

b. Are the readings supposed to be that haywire?
As I mentioned, I don't think so.
Quote:

c. My dealer said that the DTE problems are standard and that everyone gets inaccurate readings. He refused to take a look at it saying there's nothing he can do. What do I do in this situation?
I don't this problems is standard. Raise some stink. If needed, go to another dealer.

P.S: I thought only 2 smileys are allowed per post.
Old 11th August 2014, 23:42   #9465
BANNED

re: My new Ford Figo fails emission test + fuel gauge problem

Quote:
After a lot of trials for over 20 minutes, he had to give me a certificate of failure because the exhaust readings were above the limits. There was also visible and considerable amounts of smoke coming out during the test (which I thought was normal as my car does emit black smoke beyond 3000 rpm).
Was it continuously emitting black smoke above 3K rpm?

Quote:
I consider myself a fairly good driver who does shifts to fifth gear at 45kmph.
45 kmph @ 5th gear?! IIRC the RPM at this point should be near 1300-1400. Am I correct?

Not right buddy, you are lugging the engine following this upshift process.

Quote:
I even follow Ford's instructions on cleaning out the exhaust every week [revving up to 3000rpm for 30 seconds]. All in all, it's a baby taken good care of.
Do you do this method when the car is standstill?

Quote:
Surprising actually! Do try changing the air filter and see if the smoke is seen.

Quote:
No replacements, what is the FE you are getting when you check the full tank to full tank method?

Quote:
2. My car's fuel gauge and distance-to-empty (DTE) meter has given me quite a few problems too.
What is wrong with the fuel gauge?

Anurag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks