Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2014, 00:59   #9466
Senior - BHPian

Re: My new Ford Figo fails emission test + fuel gauge problem

Highly doubt your car can fail an emission test when its just one year old.

Try this, go to a hawa wala, remove the air filter, get him to blow it clean.

Put it back, just to let the system know you have plenty of air going in now as the system is clean, drive it for some kilometers and during this period, rev it a bit in lower gears before shifting.

Go to the PUC guy and check, if not the same one, someone else as who knows his machine can be faulty too.

PS: The car might smoke for a second or two at 3000 rpm, but if it continuously does the first remedy is the air filter one which I mentioned as due to lack of enough air, unburnt diesel is bellowing out of your exhaust.

My car does not smoke at all, ever , although when I downshift and smash the throttle, for a second or two there is this bhooopppp smoke which comes out which is normal, but that's that.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 02:26   #9467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post

I have a 2011 Figo Tdci. I find the DTE quite accurate. This is the first time I am hearing about this problem in a Figo.
My dealer told me about the problem before I even bought the car. So I took it as a given. But an empty tank when the DTE says 56 and 88 is just crazy. How accurate is your DTE? Have you ever encountered an empty tank situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Was it continuously emitting black smoke above 3K rpm?
Not constantly. There's always a cloud of smoke that comes out. The manual says it's supposed to be exhaust residue.
Quote:
45 kmph @ 5th gear?! IIRC the RPM at this point should be near 1300-1400. Am I correct?
45-50 kmph is the bracket for upshifts to fifth gear, I reckon? But I follow my tacho to make sure I shift before 1700-1800rpm, mostly at 1500rpm.

Quote:
Do you do this method when the car is standstill?
Yes, that's what it asks me to do in the manual.

Quote:
No replacements, what is the FE you are getting when you check the full tank to full tank method?
Surprisingly, not that great considering it's a Figo. I barely touch 17 on city roads with occasional AC usage. But I'm not sure what to do about it. I've tried a few methods to increase FE but it doesn't work. I don't think it can be traced back to a manufacturing problem so I haven't told the dealer about it. It certainly is disappointing considering other Figo owners do an easy 19kmpl in the city.

Quote:
What is wrong with the fuel gauge?
Like I wrote in my OP, it wasn't even at the red line when my engine acted up and the warning light started flashing.

Last edited by AbiDas : 12th August 2014 at 02:30.
Old 12th August 2014, 03:10   #9468
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
1. I felt the overall NVH levels in my Figo TDCI was less in Chennai when compared to Bangalore. Is it because of Chennai's altitude (at sea level), moisture in the air, air density w.r.t. Bangalore?
I am not sure of this. My Figo sounds the same in Bangalore and Chennai. I will try to hear it more closely the next time.

Quote:
2. While on Chennai - Bangalore highway, the AC stopped blowing air. I mean the blower was working/spinning (as if its getting choked) but there was no air which was blown. It was like this for about an hour and suddenly it started working. This happened multiple times and it got fixed by itself. I tried different speed settings of the blower but to no use. I could hear the blower motor running at full speed when set at 4, but literally there was no air blowing from the AC vents. What is wrong? Should I get the AC checked. Please help.
Check your air filter and see if it requires cleaning/replacement. If it keeps happening regularly, check with the A.S.S. It could be either a blower or condenser issue.
satan's_valet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 07:21   #9469
Distinguished - BHPian

Ask the service centre to check the EGR valve and actuator. Also, have them clean the fuel tank.
Old 12th August 2014, 07:34   #9470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
Guys,

Had been to Chennai from Bangalore over the weekend and observed few things which are listed below. Hope fellow BHPians can shed some light on these.

1. I felt the overall NVH levels in my Figo TDCI was less in Chennai when compared to Bangalore. Is it because of Chennai's altitude (at sea level), moisture in the air, air density w.r.t. Bangalore?

2. While on Chennai - Bangalore highway, the AC stopped blowing air. I mean the blower was working/spinning (as if its getting choked) but there was no air which was blown. It was like this for about an hour and suddenly it started working. This happened multiple times and it got fixed by itself. I tried different speed settings of the blower but to no use. I could hear the blower motor running at full speed when set at 4, but literally there was no air blowing from the AC vents. What is wrong? Should I get the AC checked. Please help.
The choking could be due ti icing of the the cooling radiator, ice accumulation will prevent air from passing through but resolve itself.
gharika is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 07:36   #9471
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 12th August 2014 at 12:40.
gharika is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th August 2014, 08:31   #9472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbiDas View Post
How accurate is your DTE? Have you ever encountered an empty tank situation?
I have found it to be pretty accurate. I haven't emptied my tank, but have come close to it (about 2kms DTE).
Old 12th August 2014, 09:34   #9473
Senior - BHPian

Floor the Diesels once in a while in 3rd. Do not let carbon and soot accumulate. Besides, its fun.

Whats with TDCi and emission tests?

Here is another thread for a Fusion. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...t-what-do.html
Old 12th August 2014, 12:44   #9474
RGK
Senior - BHPian

My injector was replaced twice under warranty and the last was during May'14. The price was around 11k. Sharing the bill for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-injectorprice.jpg  

Old 12th August 2014, 13:06   #9475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
My injector was replaced twice under warranty and the last was during May'14. The price was around 11k. Sharing the bill for reference.
Off late I feel that my car's engine has become noisy (2011 Figo 1.4). I went to the workshop where they checked the fuel injectors. They said the reading was within range on all four injectors. So nothing needs to be done and the sound is normal.

My car is out of warranty now, so I am happy I didn't have to get my injectors replaced. But the noisy engine has me worried.

How did you know that your injectors needed replacement?
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 13:22   #9476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
2. While on Chennai - Bangalore highway, the AC stopped blowing air.
Bone chilling AC and Ford thinks that the AC needs to be switched off for some time so that the cabin does not become a freezer. On a serious note, this is one embarrassment which I have to live with in my Figo. I have the same issue and F.A.S.S is not able to do anything yet, to resolve this. They acknowledge that this is an issue but unable to rectify it. The explanation given below by gharika (icing inside the condenser) is the most probable cause of this problem. People say that Figo is having the best AC in it's class, but I would like to add a small condition to it - ie; "when it works!"

And, this problem surfaces only when you are using the AC for longer periods; long drives that is, which makes it all the more irritating. During many of my drives, I had to bear the hot air when the AC stopped working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
The choking could be due to icing of the the cooling radiator, ice accumulation will prevent air from passing through but resolve itself.

Last edited by A350XWB : 12th August 2014 at 13:23.
Old 12th August 2014, 15:39   #9477
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
How did you know that your injectors needed replacement?
The engine noise changed a bit and took for a checkup.
SA found that there was diesel pressure difference in one of the injectors and was replaced.

I saw the reading (four horizontal bar charts moving) in the laptop and remember one of the bar is well behind the other three. It may be the diesel momentum or pressure inside the nozzle ( I may be wrong).
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 17:50   #9478
Senior - BHPian

Can someone confirm the spark plug type is the same for Figo/Fiesta/Fusion?

I am looking at ordering NGK platinum plugs online, which mentions it is compatible with Fiesta 1.4/1.6 and Fusion 1.6.

So it makes me think it should be fine with the 1.2 as well since it is a derivative of the 1.4 petrol.
Old 12th August 2014, 20:24   #9479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbiDas View Post

Questions:
a. How is the calculation of DTE that inaccurate? What is the use of having a feature that's in fact causing trouble instead of avoiding it?
b. Are the readings supposed to be that haywire?
c. My dealer said that the DTE problems are standard and that everyone gets inaccurate readings. He refused to take a look at it saying there's nothing he can do. What do I do in this situation?
Hi AbiDas,

DTE value is a statistical value and does not hold true always. It is derived from the 'Moving Average' Mileage for the last few hundred kilometers traveled.

It is like this: You fill up your tank and keep going on an express way... the milage is high so as the DTE. for example you travelled the last 300-400 KM in economy mode and the Avg milage is say 18, the DTE at 1/3rd tank may show you ~250 KM. Say suddenly you hit a traffic jam and start idling...the DTE wouldn't change drastically, where in which it's prediction 250 KMs fails and you may reach only 100 KMs with 1/3rd tank. But now consider the opposite situation: You fill up your tank for a Highway trip. But you are stuck in city traffic for most of the time where in your half tank is consumed. Now the DTE would be ~300 KMs. But if you are on highway and drive in economy mode , You would go beyond 450 KMs without a refill. This is what I have read /understood/observed/verified in my Figo. .

So then how does this DTE Helps ?: Consider samples like me---- I take the same path, similar timings, similar traffic pattern all working days. So my DTE predictions are very close enough because there is hardly any change in the mileage and driving pattern.

To summarise, DTE is a forecast/prediction based on the last few hundred KMs travel. So we need to learn how to read the DTE. Also once I didn't fill my tank till DTE 20KM. It had still ~ 5 Litres of Diesel in it.

Hope this helps.
Old 13th August 2014, 09:37   #9480
BHPian

Do you know how to make your girlfriend/wife say sorry first after a fight? Ford Figo is the answer!
Just checkout their website!

New Figo comes with average fuel indicator. Does anyone get a chance to check its accuracy? I am planning to retrofit it in my Figo if possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks