Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2016, 08:08   #10246
BHPian

Re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Was that the same sound or a squeaking sound. Since that issue was present earlier on the same wheel and was fixed by greasing. Not sure if this is the same issue, advanced.
In my case, it was not a squeaking sound. It was more like a knocking of metal (kat-kat sort of). Got it replaced, under warranty though.
auto_enthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 15:40   #10247
BHPian

Hello everyone,

Of late, some oil was leaking from my figo petrol and I was pretty lazy about it for the past couple of weeks. Now, since yesterday, I see that there is a noise when I turn the steering.

One inspection and I see that the power steering fluid is below the "min" level. Couple of questions:

1. I must have driven at least 100 kms with lower power steering fluid. Can this cause a long term damage?
2. Is there a problem if I top it up with any 'other' brand of fluid than the one that is already in there?

So far, it was topped up at the A.S.S during my regular service/general checkup visits. Not exactly sure which one is used there! Sorry for my ignorance.

Regards,
Sri Harsha.
Old 5th January 2016, 16:46   #10248
Senior - BHPian

Hey Folks, I am having some cold start idling issue with my Figo TDCi. Basically there is some kind of jerking that engine goes through until it warms up. Its very similar to how you would relate to mis firing piston on petrol engine. Posting a video of the same. If you look closely around 11 sec mark and later also engine will jerk a bit with different sound. Anyone come across this before? I plan to show A.S.S over the weekend but inputs would help. Hope ppl still see this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhappyharsha View Post
Hello everyone,

1. I must have driven at least 100 kms with lower power steering fluid. Can this cause a long term damage?
2. Is there a problem if I top it up with any 'other' brand of fluid than the one that is already in there?
As long as the fluid was not completely empty you are safe. It should not have caused any kind of damage. You can either get it topped up at A.S.S or even if you top it up with another brand of power steering oil, it should be ok. I am not an expert but I was done in one of my cars and didnt have any issues.
Old 5th January 2016, 19:08   #10249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Hey Folks, I am having some cold start idling issue with my Figo TDCi. Basically there is some kind of jerking that engine goes through until it warms up. Its very similar to how you would relate to mis firing piston on petrol engine. Posting a video of the same. If you look closely around 11 sec mark and later also engine will jerk a bit with different sound. Anyone come across this before? I plan to show A.S.S over the weekend but inputs would help. Hope ppl still see this thread
What model is your Figo ? What is the current odometer reading ?
Old 5th January 2016, 20:16   #10250
BHPian

Quote:
I have it too.. Not on all days though. I usually hear this when I don't take the car out for a day or two. Once the engine is warmed up, it goes away. Hence I never bothered to get it checked. Let us know what the SA tell about this.
Old 6th January 2016, 00:23   #10251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
What model is your Figo ? What is the current odometer reading ?
2012 Figo, 34K km done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
I have it too.. Not on all days though. I usually hear this when I don't take the car out for a day or two. Once the engine is warmed up, it goes away. Hence I never bothered to get it checked. Let us know what the SA tell about this.
Surely will let you know. In general I find the accelerator response very jerky after cold start. It was certainly not the case earlier.
Old 6th January 2016, 10:45   #10252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
In my case, it was not a squeaking sound. It was more like a knocking of metal (kat-kat sort of). Got it replaced, under warranty though.
Do you remember how much the part was? Although it was under warranty, you would have received a bill with the amount.
Old 6th January 2016, 10:52   #10253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Do you remember how much the part was? Although it was under warranty, you would have received a bill with the amount.
IIRC it was somewhat below 2k for one side. I had replaced both the link rods and the bill was approx. 4k.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th January 2016 at 13:31. Reason: n > and. Please avoid sms lingo while posting on the forums. Thanks!
auto_enthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 13:24   #10254
BHPian

Quote:
2012 Figo, 34K km done.

Surely will let you know. In general I find the accelerator response very jerky after cold start. It was certainly not the case earlier.
Since it is 2012 model with the BS4 engine, the most likely culprit is the egr valve. In this engine the egr valve opens up at idling rpm to speed up the warming process but if it opens a bit too much or the valve sticks then this knocking/jerking can be observed.

The svc won't be interested in cleaning the egr valve since it takes 2-3hrs to remove and clean the egr valve properly.
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 13:46   #10255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
Since it is 2012 model with the BS4 engine, the most likely culprit is the egr valve. In this engine the egr valve opens up at idling rpm to speed up the warming process but if it opens a bit too much or the valve sticks then this knocking/jerking can be observed.

The svc won't be interested in cleaning the egr valve since it takes 2-3hrs to remove and clean the egr valve properly.
Thanks for the inputs. You could be right. Since my 30K service I have seen a drop in mileage. When I showed it to A.S.S they said that ECU was showing a EGR error code. So they kept the car for a day and cleaned the EGR and reassembled. The error went away. But its possible maybe the EGR itself has gone bad. I am still in extended warranty and EGR can be covered. Will update as to what A. S.S comes up with.

Btw the mileage issue didnt really go away as such but I kinda live with it since I dont think A.S.S is technically capable of really debugging issues unless ECU shows any fault codes.

Last edited by supertinu : 6th January 2016 at 13:48.
Old 6th January 2016, 17:57   #10256
BHPian

The Coolant/Engine overheat (key is sinking in the river) light showed up on my 1 year 8 month old Figo TDCi. The ODO is at 35k kilometers. Preliminary self diagnosis revealed that the radiator fan has stopped spinning. Took the car to the A.S.S. wherein they replaced 1. A Thermostat and 2. A Relay. The fan bounced back to life. However, I was told that the replaced parts are not covered under warranty. Owing to the fact that the bill was a measely 1.5k INR, I coughed up the amount and left.

Now, I have been planning to opt for extended warranty. This for a diesel Ford comes pretty expensive with respect to competition at a whooping 14k INR. This incident has got me thinking. How, do I get to know exactly which components get covered by the extended warranty? Ford helpline gives a very cryptic reply that parts covered under original warranty will be covered. Is there any comprehensive list of parts covered under warranty/extended warranty from Ford?
Old 6th January 2016, 23:35   #10257
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs. You could be right. Since my 30K service I have seen a drop in mileage. When I showed it to A.S.S they said that ECU was showing a EGR error code. So they kept the car for a day and cleaned the EGR and reassembled. The error went away. But its possible maybe the EGR itself has gone bad. I am still in extended warranty and EGR can be covered. Will update as to what A. S.S comes up with.

Btw the mileage issue didnt really go away as such but I kinda live with it since I dont think A.S.S is technically capable of really debugging issues unless ECU shows any fault codes.
I am sure the A.S.S has just cleared the code without cleaning the egr and luckily the code didn't pop back. Ask them specifically to open and clean the egr valve in front of you.

Since the egr is letting more exhaust gases into the intake than required - your FE is low. Same with the knocking sound at idling.
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 07:35   #10258
Senior - BHPian

Was experiencing a clatter type of noise from the front left wheel for few weeks now and it was getting annoying since roads are rough everywhere and the noise was constant.
Took the car to Ford last evening and went for a spin with one of the mechanics who immediately identified it as loose disc brake caliper pin.
At first their immediate response was replace both calipers for 6k,then it came down to replace the pins for 1k each and then finally it was removed and greased for less than 300. But this they said is temporary.

The disc pads were replaced few months ago during annual service. Not sure if it was a fitting problem that caused this since I feel the pin can't just become loose in less than 50k kms.
Old 12th January 2016, 12:39   #10259
BHPian

Hi BHPians,

So I'm still very much new to driving. Yesterday, I tried to start my car from 5th gear instead of the usual first (seemed like a good idea at that time!). The car did move, but there was this burning smell and some smoke too believe. I drove home later that night and everything seemed normal, but should I be worried? And if I should, how bad do you think the damage will be?
Old 12th January 2016, 22:18   #10260
BHPian

My dad's friend sold his 2012 Figo after clocking 190k kms for Rs.3lacs. Engine was still peppy as new. Clutch was also stock. Only front struts,link rods, brake pads, discs, filters, oils,tyres, timing belt, drive belt, one engine mount and radiator fan were replaced. Everything else was stock. Believe me-they use the car day and night, multiple drivers, from smooth expressways to non existent roads. He has booked the new figo.

Last edited by interc00led : 12th January 2016 at 22:20.
interc00led is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks