Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2010, 11:06   #121
BHPian

Nice Review GTO , I always Envy you for getting your hands on New cars even before they are launched in market .

On a Diff Note, For Me , Looks Wise - No where near to Punto , FE Figures will decide the sales No,s of Figo( I Just Hope they price it aggressively ), FORD Service Just like Fiat /TATA is a Concerns specially outside Metro's , I hope they just Drop the Idea of a maroon / reddish Dashboard when launched, That may appeal to 10% Population only in india .

one Question Though -

How's the 1.4 Ltr Diesel Mill Compared to national 1.3 Multijet????
Old 26th January 2010, 11:13   #122
Senior - BHPian

To me, the figo looks just OK, a timid car with a bold face. Still, it will work here.

OT: I commented on my parent's jazz as "looks like a wireless computer mouse, especially in front of the punto", and their reaction was...you know what I mean.

Thank god I did not buy an I 20, looks a bit girly to me.

GTO: Did any car had a full black dashboard? Did you take any pics of it?

Last edited by sidindica : 26th January 2010 at 11:15.
Old 26th January 2010, 11:53   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks, we are always open to suggestions and believe in continuous improvement. As an example, compare the review format, structure and comprehensiveness of the first car we officially testdrove (Ritz) to where we are now. You will agree its a step forward? Your suggestion will be considered.
Step forward? No question, although having said that the Ritz review in itself was excellent as well IMO. The quality of the website is testified by the fact that team-bhp is now being invited by manufacturers for launch TDs.

While we're on the topic, here's what I like about the TDs personally:

- comprehensive
- covers all aspects evenly (unlike for eg SV Patankar who will spend 7 mins out of an 8 min review on the lines and design of a car and ergonomics and about 1 min on all else)
- loaded with pics that provide good coverage of every aspect you would like to sight
- clinical, neutral and unbiased
- based on substantial running (few 100 kms usually at the least)
- for the moment, the fact that it doesn't get accompanied by Vbox data etc does not matter that much. It covers most of the necessary info that a purchaser would look for and is a little more 'real world' in that respect.

Thanks for considering the comparo suggestion. I honestly believe it'll add a signifcant dimension to this website as a reference point. I do hope something on those lines work out soon. Imagine a periodically updated reference point for most popular segments at least - its the one stop shop for any informed purchaser. It need not even throw up a "winner" like many mags approach this. Simply needs to rank and rate cars across various parameters and outline general pros and cons. From there its up to the reader to make what he does of the info. What works for which purchaser is a personal choice based on that individual's priorities.
Old 26th January 2010, 12:20   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjimso View Post
As always, we are taken for granted, depriving us of something as small as rear PW is not acceptable - Dont you think someone paying 4.5 - 5 lacs deserves it but no we still go ahead and book 500 of these and encourage other auto dudes to give us cars with stripped features
Many people spend that kind of money to buy Swift/Ritz LXi/LDi, which don't even have front power windows. (No offence meant to Swift/Ritz owners)

Indian customers are already used to being taken for granted. IMHO, lack of rear power windows should not be a deal-breaker. Anyway, Figo's rear windows open only half, addition of rear power windows would have meant money spent in the wrong place.

What I find irritating if the fact that 60:40 rear split seats are not provided. Come on Ford, even the Tata IndiCab has this ! How difficult was it to provide this feature, considering the utilitarian design approach ?

Rohan
Old 26th January 2010, 12:28   #125
Senior - BHPian

GTO :- What are the expected/ speculated FE figures for 1.2 petrol & 1.4 diesel ?

As pointed in earlier thread we can now have a super hatch shoot out comparing the Ritz, Swift, Punto, Beat, i10 & Figo
This sort of comparative study will help many to choose there hatches.
Old 26th January 2010, 12:42   #126
BHPian

Figo's Rear window glass going only 60% is a projected safety but a design flaw. Is it Like in Maruti Eeco van can the rear window roll up lever must be reversed if one need to roll down 100% the glass?

No 60:40 rear split seats
No power windows at rear
No adjustable steering
No alloy wheels
Ford should reflect in true VFM pricing @ 4.5 L ex showroom.

Cost of spares must be cheaper and made available Over the counter.

Good luck to ford Figo for success with great VFM

Last edited by harimakesh : 26th January 2010 at 12:44.
Old 26th January 2010, 14:40   #127
BHPian

GTO - Excellent review! A prospective buyer would find all the necessary information in it. Couple of queries though:
1. Which diesel car is a better choice for 80% (City) and 20% (Highway) - Figo or Vista QJD? I read from your review that Figo doesn't suffer turbo lag, still...
2. Between the above 2 mentioned cars, which one will have a lower total cost of ownership after 5 years. Fords are known for more expensive upkeep.

Last edited by WindRide : 26th January 2010 at 14:57.
Old 26th January 2010, 17:09   #128
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
I think we might be in for a pleasant surprise.
We sure will, Amartya. I had predicted an extremely VFM price tag on the Beat and was proven right. The Figo is going to wear a competitive price too.

Come to think of it, Ford has no choice but to price it competitively. The hatch segment is extremely competitive, several alternatives available and many more soon to come.

Quote:
What I am not so sure about is what happens to the Fiesta diesel, it seems that unless the Fiesta diesel is upgraded to a larger engine (1.6?), Ford won't be able to sell too many of those.
A more powerful diesel will come in the all-new Fiesta. Expected in the next 12 months (or less).

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
How's the 1.4 Ltr Diesel Mill Compared to national 1.3 Multijet????
Covered in several posts earlier. Request to search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
GTO: Did any car had a full black dashboard? Did you take any pics of it?
There were way too many Figos in the parking lot, some covered too, to check for the black dashboard. Sorry, didn't take a pic of any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
While we're on the topic, here's what I like about the TDs personally:
Thank you. Points noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
GTO :- What are the expected/ speculated FE figures for 1.2 petrol & 1.4 diesel ?
We can't even gauge FE relativity, as we know the ARAI numbers of competitors, but not of the Figo. Period.

The diesel will easily match 14.xx kpl in a city like Mumbai. That's what Fiesta owners running the 1.4 D are reporting on Team-BHP. Add 10% - 15% to that number for the smaller towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
1. Which diesel car is a better choice for 80% (City) and 20% (Highway) - Figo or Vista QJD? I read from your review that Figo doesn't suffer turbo lag, still...
Chauffeur driven / priority on backseat space = Vista. Self-drive, lesser priority on backseat = Figo. The Figo is better in nearly every aspect, except back seat space.

Quote:
Between the above 2 mentioned cars, which one will have a lower total cost of ownership after 5 years. Fords are known for more expensive upkeep.
Can't really gauge, as the information on the Indica Vista itself is limited (few cars have run over 60,000 kms).
Old 26th January 2010, 17:22   #129
BHPian

Thanks to you for an excellent test drive report. Informative and comprehensive.

I too like the clean and sedate looks of the ford figo. I think the clean bonnet lines will also improve visibility.The beat is a bit too garish for my taste and was not comfortable with the visibility.

I was planning to book a Wagon R for my city commute. Since I heard about the impending launch of the new wagon R, I am holding off. I will check out the Figo before making a call. Checked with MPL ford in Nandanam and they said they have not even seen the car yet and will not have the car till Feb 2nd week.

Also kudos to ford which has given ABS/Airbags with diesel (unlike swift DDIS) .
Old 26th January 2010, 18:45   #130
BHPian

Honest and unbiased review GTO! I was looking forward to this for some time now.

As an ex-Ford India employee, I truly hope the Figo does well.
However, that said and done the small car buyers are spoilt for choice. A few thousand rupees more for a better looking and featured car, to be paid over 5 yrs (EMIs and all) will not hurt too much. I fear that the Figo might run out of steam soon after launch. This was true for Fiesta too- great launch, challenged City for a few months n then slid to 1500 levels.

My take, sales for Ford India in Jan 2011 might look like this:
Figo: 3500
Ikon+Fiesta: 2500
Endeavour etc: 300
TOTAL: 6300

Hope I'm wrong and they do much more.
MODS: Delete this post if you find it irrelevant
Old 26th January 2010, 19:37   #131
Team-BHP Support

Great review GTO. I love Ford's for the way they handle, they somehow hit the sweet spot with driver feedback. Maintenance package is a welcome change, especially with the reputation that Ford has managed to create.

I hope they launch a 1.6 liter also
Old 26th January 2010, 20:18   #132
BHPian

@GTO Nice review. Nice to see all the pics.

The look of the car would decidedly appeal to the person looking for a family hatchback. Nice and neat look albeit a little outdated in some angles. The same can be said about the interiors. Doesn't compare with the Beats interior. Having said that the Figo looks very elegant and not grotesquely handsome like the BEAT lol.

Looking at PIC 11 comparing it with the Fiesta, the Figo looks much bigger than a i10 or the Swift and in fact bigger than the Fiesta itself! My wife asked if it was a SUV lol. It looks more comparable to the Jazz or i20 ! If indeed the interior is as spacious it is definitely a plus point. The boring interior look can be forgiven for a roomy interior and comfortable seating and ride "IF" the Figo is indeed priced closer to the i10 and Swift .

I would like to see 10 year warranties and Unlimited mileage warranties on Indian cars and why not if the same are offered to cars in US for almost the same kinda money.

The plastics look as good as the Beats interiors.
And the glass area is much bigger which is a very welcome move. Much more visibility all round . I hate the high door lines and dash lines submerging you into the car which is the trend in cars nowadays ( Totally against logic, for saftey, as far as visibilty is concerned)

The absence of "so called" premium features like rear power windows,
tilt steering in the top end variant points to a good VFM price policy as pointed out.

Why no MID or Climate control ? It would perhaps cost them a couple of thousand rupees more to incorporate them ! Electronics are dirt cheap nowadays .
Old 26th January 2010, 20:35   #133
BANNED

GTO, Can you tell me if its true that Figo will come in four different trim levels as I have received an Email from "Driving Ford" where it is mentioned by Emily Lai, the Colours and materials design manager.
What are all these trim levels ?
Old 26th January 2010, 21:02   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
No 60:40 rear split seats
No power windows at rear
No adjustable steering
No alloy wheels
Ford should reflect in true VFM pricing @ 4.5 L ex showroom.
Looking at the current competition,IMO Figo 1.2 base will be placed between Beat (base) and Ritz petrol (base), which means it will start @ INR 3.75 Lakh.
That will be a good price I guess.
Old 26th January 2010, 21:09   #135
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
I too like the clean and sedate looks of the ford figo. I think the clean bonnet lines will also improve visibility.
As I mentioned in my review, the Figo's low window sill, unobtrusive dashboard height and large windscreen remind me of the OHC (a late nineties design). The driver enjoys a fantastic view of the road ahead. Me thinks most cars designed in the last 2 - 3 years have high set dashboards for safety reasons (but a compromise on visibility).

Quote:
Also kudos to ford which has given ABS/Airbags with diesel (unlike swift DDIS) .
Absolutely agreed. I can't fathom why Maruti won't give ABS + Airbags on the top end Swift / Ritz. Diesels are anyways the flavour of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_head View Post
A few thousand rupees more for a better looking and featured car, to be paid over 5 yrs (EMIs and all) will not hurt too much. I fear that the Figo might run out of steam soon after launch.
True. But again, the Figo (especially diesel) doesn't have a single major flaw. The Vista has typical Tata issues and the Swift its stiff ride + poor backseat comfort. The Ritz doesn't have any serious product flaw, just as the Figo, but the market hasn't taken kindly to the rear end design. The Figo diesel is, in many ways, an all rounder. Good build, acceptable fit & finish, FE engine, nice to drive, compliant ride, better room than i10 / Swift, big boot.....it's only Ford that has to pull up its dealers, quality of service and cost of ownership to make it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I love Ford's for the way they handle, they somehow hit the sweet spot with driver feedback.
Sweet spot, well put. With the driving experience, yes. But also hitting a fine balance between handling & ride quality.

Quote:
Maintenance package is a welcome change, especially with the reputation that Ford has managed to create.
Can't wait to see the pricing of their packages, relative to what GM offers on their cars.

Quote:
I hope they launch a 1.6 liter also
They will, Jaggu. I just know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NUT-case View Post
I would like to see 10 year warranties and Unlimited mileage warranties on Indian cars and why not if the same are offered to cars in US for almost the same kinda money.
Just for the record : No one offers a 10 year unlimited mileage warranty in the States.

Quote:
I hate the high door lines and dash lines submerging you into the car which is the trend in cars nowadays ( Totally against logic, for saftey, as far as visibilty is concerned)
Got to do with securing high scores in crash tests. The latest gen cars are, without doubt, wearing safer structures than their predecessors were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons View Post
GTO, Can you tell me if its true that Figo will come in four different trim levels
The same as most others. A basic, mid spec, top end and lastly, top end with ABS + Airbags.

Most Viewed