Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2010, 10:16   #16
BHPian

Nice review GTO. Ohh the dashboard color - can't get over it. Probably thought up by someone who is a Rajnikant/Tamil movie fan with a penchant for bright colors!!.

No rear power windows? Bad - same with the tilt steering - should have had it. Other than that looks a decent offering in the B Segment. Now, every thing will depend on the price. So Ford, please price it right the first time.

Last edited by chennai-indian : 25th January 2010 at 10:18.
Old 25th January 2010, 10:17   #17
BHPian

Thanks for the excellent review GTO.
This is definitely a good attempt from Ford. From the rear, it looks very similar to Fusion.
With the proven diesel, it should do good initially. Let us wait and see if this becomes true winner for Ford.
Old 25th January 2010, 10:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

Neutral, unbiased review, as always.

The car is more of a practical optimised all rounder rather than an "exciting" hatch.
If it is priced correctly, it has the potential to be a winner. If not, it will have its work cut out.

Ford, why not rear power windows? Imagine if me and my driver both have paan and I have to spit it out, will I have to roll down manually and at just 60 percent down? While my driver will enjoy all the comforts of power windows?
Old 25th January 2010, 10:28   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Neutral, unbiased review, as always.

Ford, why not rear power windows? Imagine if me and my driver both have paan and I have to spit it out, will I have to roll down manually and at just 60 percent down? While my driver will enjoy all the comforts of power windows?
Sid, even if you had power windows at the rear, since the windows roll down only 60%, you would have a tough time spitting out the pan

Moreover, spitting is not hygenic
chennai-indian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2010, 10:30   #20
BHPian

Great Review GTO. Typical High Quality In Depth review that we have come to expect from Team Bhp. Tad disappointed that you were not able to test Figo under high speeds - I think thats another area where Figo will score better than its rivals and should be on par with Punto I believe.

Going by your review, Can we say Figo is the best diesel hatch? To me overall package(with aggressive price) seems to be better than that of Swift, Vista and Punto

1.6L Figo should be absolute driving machine. It will garner as much fan following as Palio 1.6 had/still has.

We own a Fiesta, yes the AC in Fiesta too is an absolute chiller. So I can understand when you talk about Figo's AC experience. Most times, I switch it OFF and ON when I drive alone. I sorely felt the need of Auto AC to maintain constant mild temperature.

Photos are little dull. Weather of GOA ?

Red Dash is the quirkiness in the interior and I kinda like that quirkiness.

Been waiting for this review, since the time you closed Figo thread running in Indian Car Scene.

Last edited by rajivn : 25th January 2010 at 10:31.
Old 25th January 2010, 10:44   #21
BHPian

Thanks for the excellent review GTO,

I have a small doubt. Since Fiesta and Figo share the same diesel plant , did you notice any difference in performance levels between the two.
(P.S I am just assuming here that Figo will be lighter than Fiesta)
Old 25th January 2010, 10:45   #22
BHPian

Excellent review, GTO !

On the flip side, the red Figo dash has brightened up my Monday morning

- Are those AC vents in the foot well ?
- The plastic quality (black) seems to be quite good in the pics,

A nice all rounder, does the major things well, The diesel looks to be the winner for Ford !
Old 25th January 2010, 10:48   #23
BHPian

GTO

Thanks for the great review. I have been checking out this forum multiple times a day for the Figo. Would you prefer the Beat to the Figo ? I mean,If it were up to you,which hatchback among the two would you go for. Please comment on the rear legroom as compared to the Beat.
Old 25th January 2010, 10:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The version I drove is equipped with ABS and airbags.
Sorry I missed that part earlier. It is really a good move. You can live without minor 'nice to have features' but safety is a absolute must.
Old 25th January 2010, 10:51   #25
BHPian

Cool Review GTO...!!!
Somehow I dont think it will stack up to the likes of Hyundai i20 and Indica Vista levels in terms of interior quality as well as rear leg room...
I think Ford should definelty include basic stuff like power windows and alloy wheels in the top end version.
I really like the rear bumper black skirting... Looks cool.. Gives you a Fiesta look (European hot hatch)..!!!
Old 25th January 2010, 10:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for a great review GTO.
I am on the lookout for buying a hatch and am keenly waiting for the Figo. Can you pls enlighten us on the following?
1.Does the Diesel [Duratorq??] feel nose heavy during braking or while taking turns?
2.How are the brakes for the non ABS Diesel? Do they feel adequate? Ford has a bad reputation with the brakes. I am particularly concerned with the smaller discs as well. [I am driving a Fiesta S for the past 2 months and the amount of brake dust coming out of the front wheels gets me real worried.]
3.The absence of the tilt steering is so bad in a Ford. For a car with such a nice chassis and communicative steering, I would really miss a good wheel position. Would have preferred the tilt steering option instead of the rear parcel tray/ or rear wiper.
Old 25th January 2010, 11:00   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
Other than that looks a decent offering in the B Segment.
Quote:
The car is more of a practical optimised all rounder rather than an "exciting" hatch.
Quote:
Going by your review, Can we say Figo is the best diesel hatch? To me overall package(with aggressive price) seems to be better than that of Swift, Vista and Punto
Quote:
A nice all rounder, does the major things well,
The Figo diesel has excellent low rpm response, light controls, a very chuckable nature and better space than the Swift. That makes it well suited to the city. The ride quality is better. And its as much fun to drive as the Swift is.

Where the Figo loses out to the Swift is in outright performance, including on the open road. Then, the Swift also enjoys Maruti's splendid after-sales, vast dealer / service coverage and proven low cost of ownership. The petrol is no match for the 1.2 K series in the Ritz, and soon to come in the Swift.

More diesel choices in the B segment....all the better for the customer, I say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Oh Sid, that's just crude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivn View Post
under high speeds - I think thats another area where Figo will score better than its rivals and should be on par with Punto I believe.
Considering that the Figo's onroad behaviour is so similar to the Fiesta, I don't have any doubts on its high speed stability.

Quote:
We own a Fiesta, yes the AC in Fiesta too is an absolute chiller. So I can understand when you talk about Figo's AC experience. Most times, I switch it OFF and ON when I drive alone. I sorely felt the need of Auto AC to maintain constant mild temperature.
Now I know.

Quote:
Photos are little dull. Weather of GOA ?
Yes, conditions were rather dark when most of the exterior shots were taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octy9833 View Post
I have a small doubt. Since Fiesta and Figo share the same diesel plant , did you notice any difference in performance levels between the two.
I am impressed with the diesel's behaviour at low rpms, especially when you compare it to the MJD turbo-lagged hatchbacks. Nope, I didn't notice any substantial improvement over the Fiesta 1.4 diesel. The kerb weight difference should not be more than 30 - 40 kilos (the equivalent of 1/2 a passenger). Remember, while a hatch may save weight from the absence of a boot, the rear structure needs a substantial amount of strengthening (relative to a sedan). E.g. The weight difference between the Honda Jazz and the City is only 45 kilos. Don't miss the fact that the City runs an engine that is 300 cc bigger, and will constitute atleast 15 - 20 kilos of that 45 kg difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
- Are those AC vents in the foot well ?
Could be.

Quote:
The plastic quality (black) seems to be quite good in the pics,
Hard, but durable. Most parts didn't feel cheap, very few did.
Old 25th January 2010, 11:01   #28
Senior - BHPian

Nice review GTO.

It's good to know that the Figo has decent build quality and not just another tin can. If the pricing is competitive, it proves that good quality can be provided at reasonable prices too.

I had a sense of deja vu looking at the interior pics. The interior looks just like the Fiesta.

You should have taken the TDCi on a highway run. The engine is fantastic from 80-120. It does lose a bit of steam after that but anything beyond 120 is extremely unsafe on our highways.

I am surprised about your comment about the brakes. I am not sure about the Ikon, but the Fiesta has fantastic brakes. They are very progressive and don't just bite all at once at a certain point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivn View Post
You should use the thermostat to set a comfortable temperature. I never switch off the AC.
Gilead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2010, 11:12   #29

keep up the good work GTO! its because of these reviews (the beat, and now the figo) that i have stopped buying Indian car magazines. Power to team-bhp and to the internet!
i have a big soft corner for Fords (i own a fusion 1.6 myself), but if you notice the grey figo parked next to the fiesta in one of the pics, the shape just sits down. it looks terribly bland. it has none of the style of the punto or the character of the ritz and the beat.
Old 25th January 2010, 11:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

A well-balanced review GTO. Thanks.

I am eagerly awaiting the pricing information. Hatchback customers may initially have doubts regarding the overall cost of ownership of a Ford car. Unless the pricing is mouth-watering, it would be difficult to attract customers who would rather prefer the safety-net of buying a Maruti/Hyundai car which are known for their low cost of ownership.

Figo 1.4 TDCi is a refreshing entry in the market. Maruti's DDIS twins are too common and have long waiting periods. Tata Indigo Vista and Fiat Grande Punto (though excellent cars) are notorious for their Q.C. and A.S.S. As mentioned in the review, Figo TDCi is more driveable in typcial city conditions, would (hopefully) not have long waiting periods like Maruti's DDIS and would (hopefully) not have quality and A.S.S. issues like Tata-Fiat. This looks like a winner to me.

1.2 litre petrol market is already too crowded. Frankly speaking, Figo 1.2 litre petrol doesn't have anything to boast of. There are just too many better products in the market.

Already mentioned in the review - option for AT, especially in diesel variant would be a great USP.

Lack of rear power windows, tilt-steering and automatic climate control doesn't bother me that much (Provided that the pricing justifies all this cost-cutting).

I noticed that the handbrake lever is not in the centre, but slightly towards the passenger side. Is this because of the left-hand to right-hand conversion ? Also, Hood release lever on the passenger side - not acceptable.

Rohan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks