Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2010, 00:17   #106
Senior - BHPian

its all about the diesel !

Ah! I was thinking Figo is a Fiesta with boot chopped off and would therefore command an i-20 like price.

But looks they have stripped it down further to bring the price down to ??.....Swift/i-10 level should do just fine I guess.

The 1.4 tdci is a very credible alternative to the Swift ddis (even a 5% premium over Swift is justifiable). This is a huge opportunity for Ford to attack Swift's negatives like the waiting list, turbo lag, rattles, poor back seat and brittle ride quality while building on all the positives like sharp handling, FE, good looks etc.

Exterior, I think they did a very good job considering its based on the 2001 Euro Fiesta which is the epitome of blandness. Modern and elegant touches without being too flashy. The rear is a touch bland and contrasts with the flashy front end. Loved the detailing around the side indicator.

The clay dash is godawful. The color itself is good (I think I've seen it on a Bentley) but it simply does not gel with the rest of the car. What's more repulsive is the cheap silver paint on the center console. No climate control, cheap blower knobs, the meters look bargain basement (Hey Ford, go check out the latest 150cc bike meters). Even Tata gives chrome ringed meters on the Vista. Overall the interior is a mild disaster and looks like it was designed by a committee of engineers not a master designer.

1.2 petrol looks really underpowered on paper and unless someone reads this report or TDs the car and discovers the good drivability...they will assume its weak and this will be a deal breaker for many.

They need to throw some serious deals to move the 1.2p. Beat level pricing might work but I wonder what kind of profits they will make at that price point.

BTW, How's the GB shift quality ? Supposed to be an Ikon GB and not the Fiesta's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
In this segment, most of the buyers are self drive. Only when family is there will there be people sitting in the back.
Your logic is correct but unfortunately its about Want vs Need and people want it weather they need it or not. BTW, my mum is chauffeur driven in a Wagon R !!!

Last edited by Mpower : 26th January 2010 at 01:56.
Old 26th January 2010, 00:28   #107
~~h
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Further, I simply cannot understand why Ford is unable to give us control stalks in a right-hand-drive orientation. The indicators & headlamp flasher are on the left, while the wiper stalk is on the right.
+1, and they it's designed for India..
It's a pain if you are used to (and still using) a car with RHD controls.
You know what, the RHD controls should become mandatory by the law, I think it's high time.

Last edited by ~~h : 26th January 2010 at 00:31. Reason: words added
Old 26th January 2010, 00:35   #108
BHPian

Great review, GTO!

Now eagerly looking forward to the review of the Polo. Now that's something that quite a few of us are waiting with bated breath.
Old 26th January 2010, 00:45   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
Totally agree, the red/pink dash colour will go very well with some colours - Black and white cars definitely. I feel one of the reasons for such a strong negative feedback from most members is that the test car in the images is a lime green one and with this the dash colour is a total mismatch!
Totally agree with you here. Its the Green car and Red dash that dint go well. I think it shud go well with some of the other colours. Ford has attempted something different from usual black and beige, but this attempt maybe not to everyones liking. I personally think its cool except for the cheap aluminium/chrome center console which doesnt go well with Red dash. I feel a wooden dash like in the Fiesta Sxi might be well suited for Red dash.

Last edited by rajivn : 26th January 2010 at 00:48.
Old 26th January 2010, 01:14   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~h View Post
+1, and they it's designed for India..
It's a pain if you are used to (and still using) a car with RHD controls.
You know what, the RHD controls should become mandatory by the law, I think it's high time.
I agree that it is a pain to have the wiper and indicator stalks on the wrong sides, and moreso if you own another car that has those on the correct side (like me ).

However, Ford has been consistent---Fiat has switched to the Ford pattern on its Punto and Linea models, when compared to the Palio.

I personaly prefer a method in the madness.

BTW, that was a splendid review, GTO. I too found the pink dashboard a wee bit awkward. Actually Ford should have provided a dashboard of the same tinge as the exterior colour, as in the European Focus RS.

So when is the launch taking place?
Old 26th January 2010, 01:14   #111
BHPian

Looking at power windows by itself, I would definitely like the top end variant to have rear power windows.

But looking at the overall package, I really like what Ford has done, i.e given preference to ABS+Airbags over power windows and such. In fact they could have gone further and excluded the audio system etc. I dont think small hatches should come with audio systems because almost all of them sound crappy (except for the luxury segment) and most people rip them out and fit their own preferred system anyways.

I would prefer even more if car makers gave ABS+Airbags as an option for all versions of their cars, rather than just the top end version, as there are a lot of people who would like to have ABS+Airbags but couldn't care less for rear power windows, various cosmetic fitments and junk stereo system.
Old 26th January 2010, 02:43   #112
BHPian

Good unbiased review GTO. This is what we all were waiting for. Is there any chance you start reviewing new launches in motobike as well?

I think Figo is good practical car and it will generate almost 70% of its numbers from Diesel. Petrol seems to be underpowered and lacks the zippiness. This is almost a mini fusion with reduced price.

I don't understand why they are not providing PW in rear and tilt steering. Moreover why rear windows only go down 50-60% ? Is this a design flaw? Or Am I missing something?
Old 26th January 2010, 03:40   #113
BHPian

Colours

Colour scheme of Figo looks like Govinda on steroids.

Brilliant review GTO, as always.

I think Ford will price this car above Swift and the diesel will probably be a hit in most Southern states.
Old 26th January 2010, 04:06   #114
BHPian

Great review GTO. Thumbs up to you.

I liked the design. Looks like a big car. But the interiors are seriourly ...eeks...Hope they have options..

I think for the diesel, it is not the Swift it will be competing against, but it will be the Indica Vista. So the pricing will be a huge settlement point on Ford's part. Lets wait and watch.
Old 26th January 2010, 07:57   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

If I were to rank the 1.2 L petrols in order of competency, it would go thus : Ritz 1.2 > i10 Kappa > Figo > Punto > Fabia (3 cylinder).
Few Qs:

1. Where would you slot the Beat in the above equation?
2. What would a similar ranking look like amongst the diesel engines? (I honestly think the way the engines are designed its the diesel that'll hog up the bulk of the sales.
3. Any idea what's the launch date?
4. You mentioned a SOBO showrooom soon for Ford. Any more info on when and (roughly) where?

The Fiesta diesel offers respectable enough performance (its no highway scorcher I know but immensely driveable). I feel the Figo D if it has the same heart should not be too disappointing.

One final suggestion.

Team BHP should put together a all similar hatch comparison (the sort that most mags put out). I'm sure that'll be an awesome definitive resource in decision making. More often than not, I find the mags biased in some respect or the other. These kind of reviews in a comparo format will be invaluable reference points for purchasers in the relevant segment. That can then be extended to other segments as well.
Old 26th January 2010, 09:32   #116
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshdrive View Post
Look wise, it is not adventurous like beat, but way ahead than the boxy japanese hatches we have.Kinetic design from ford is like the melody songs which sounds good for ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Contrary to what most people think, I like the Figo's design more than the Beat's. It's simple, clean edged with lines at the right places. It's quite understated and I think that this kind of design philosophy makes a car age well
SPOT ON! I'm an acknowledged fan of clean proportionate designs and I'd much rather be seen in a car like the Figo than some tall boxes (no offence to any owners). In terms of looks, I also like the Swift, the Punto and the Polo. From what I've seen at the Auto Expo, VW Polo would get my top vote in terms of design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcrawler View Post
How it compares with Punto in terms of ride quality?
An equal in terms of ride quality.

On high speed stability, I still think the Punto will have the edge. But on curves (cornering & chuckability), it will be the Figo. I don't think anyone will complain of the dynamics in either of these cars. I like the Figo's steering, but love the Puntos.

Quote:
Apart from the turbo lag in MJD , is there any other difference with the TDci in terms of performance ?
Outright performance should be more or less in the same ballpark. The Figo's low end driveability is indisputably superior. Want real performance? Wait for the 1.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
OT: I have been thinking for a long time to put in a review on the Ford Fusion, which has clocked 75K kms in 27 months and has served me well. Would do it sometime soon.
Not fair to the rest of us! This community is built on the foundation of knowledge sharing. Please share a detailed ownership report, will surely be of help to others.

Quote:
Ford is putting in serious effort in improving it's dealership reach and quality. My parents own a Ford Fusion and the owner of the dealership was saying that Ford is laying great emphasis on a good customer experience and trying to tie up the loose ends by organizing numerous training programs for service staff as well as the sales teams.
Nice to hear and thanks for sharing that point, Amartya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
any info about the 1.6? off the record which can be said(waiting for a PM in that case)
Whatever I know has been put up here. Ford responded to all 1.6 questions with a wicked grin

Quote:
and please continue with more reports like this, its awesome,tons of thanks and yes it does put a smile on our face
The appreciation & comments from all of you put a smile on my face. Thanks.
Old 26th January 2010, 10:04   #117
BHPian

Excellent review GTO.

Lets hope Ford will price Figo sensibly.
Old 26th January 2010, 10:15   #118
BHPian

Man this does it, I've been waiting for a review from you since time immemorial. And boy was it worth it!!! If Ford is going to price it as decently as you suggest then im looking at my next car.
Old 26th January 2010, 10:17   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil8089 View Post
Lets hope Ford will price Figo sensibly.
I think we might be in for a pleasant surprise. In fact, when Ford had announced the Ikon TDCi, I thought they had just managed to bring back an aging car(still dynamically very competent) back into the reckoning by pricing it very attractively. That gives me hope that Ford will get this right (they already have the advantage of knowing what the rest of the competition is priced at).

What I am not so sure about is what happens to the Fiesta diesel, it seems that unless the Fiesta diesel is upgraded to a larger engine (1.6?), Ford won't be able to sell too many of those.
Old 26th January 2010, 10:19   #120
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Did the rear seats seem comfortable if the vehicle is considered for parents (chauffeur driven)?
The reason I rank the rear seats higher than that of the Swift is:

- Super back support

- More room than the Swift and the i10

- The Figo's compliant ride quality. Not like the harsh Swift or the bumpy i10

Of course, the Figo has a low stance. Thus, it's best to first see if your folks are okay with the ingress / egress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
the meters look bargain basement
Now that you mention it, the meters remind me of the Logans! Very basic.

Quote:
BTW, How's the GB shift quality ? Supposed to be an Ikon GB and not the Fiesta's.
Yup, it is the Ikon's IB5 unit (as mentioned in my report). Decent gearshift quality, sure slotting too, but requires more effort than say the one in the i10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
So when is the launch taking place?
Ford says by March, my guess is February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erohit View Post
Good unbiased review GTO. This is what we all were waiting for. Is there any chance you start reviewing new launches in motobike as well?
Thanks! I take that as a compliment. However, I don't understand motorcyles the way that I do cars. Will leave that to the bike experts onboard.

Quote:
I don't understand why they are not providing PW in rear and tilt steering. Moreover why rear windows only go down 50-60% ? Is this a design flaw? Or Am I missing something?
Design flaw. Many European cars suffer from this. Has to do with the design, and wheel wheel eating into the door. Thus, no space for the window mechanism to accomodate full window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Few Qs:

1. Where would you slot the Beat in the above equation?
On par with the Figos. Neither petrol is a class-topper. Outright power, Beat has the edge, and will do in fuel efficiency too.

Class topper remains the Maruti 1.2 K series.

Quote:
What would a similar ranking look like amongst the diesel engines? (I honestly think the way the engines are designed its the diesel that'll hog up the bulk of the sales.
The MJD & 1.4 TDCi both have their pros. As well as cons. The largest advantage of the TDCi is the lack of turbolag and hence, superior driveability.

Quote:
3. Any idea what's the launch date?
Previous post.

Quote:
4. You mentioned a SOBO showrooom soon for Ford. Any more info on when and (roughly) where?
Coming soon for sure. Location unknown.

Quote:
Team BHP should put together a all similar hatch comparison (the sort that most mags put out). I'm sure that'll be an awesome definitive resource in decision making. More often than not, I find the mags biased in some respect or the other. These kind of reviews in a comparo format will be invaluable reference points for purchasers in the relevant segment. That can then be extended to other segments as well.
Thanks, we are always open to suggestions and believe in continuous improvement. As an example, compare the review format, structure and comprehensiveness of the first car we officially testdrove (Ritz) to where we are now. You will agree its a step forward? Your suggestion will be considered.

Most Viewed