Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2010, 00:15   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivn View Post
Ford is pitching in a VFM car, hence its prudent to focus on really essential features that can make a difference in the ownership experience rather than focus on features which wudnt really dent the ownership experience much.
Point with the power windows it can only glide down only by 40-50%, so why spend that 3.5k per car when one canr roll it down by 40-50%. I think it makes sense to do away with this and provide something much more valuable.
I agree with you to an extent, But I defer with U also
I don't want to take the reason behind omitting rear power windows. Even Nano offers power windows. Four PW is almost a standard feature in the segment. Loss of it creates some lacking kinda feeling in customers, Well of course every one doesn't think that practically.
If cost cutting is the reason, Then why offer bluetooth or electric boot release!
I will make it clear. 'Even a small dot looks big on a clean paper'.

And I miss USB feature,come on now this is becoming standard for the segment. I lost the habit of buying cds, My 8GB pendrive does the job perfectly.
Old 28th January 2010, 01:14   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
There are 2 reasons why rear windows go down only 60%.
1. The height of the car. ( it is a good 100 mm shorter than the Swift)
When the height of the car is reduced to have better road hugging characteristics,
proportionately the height of the doors(below the glass portion) also reduces.

2. The size of the windows.
The rear windows are really large in FIGO, so for such a large glass window
to go fully inside it is practically impossible unless it is a long 3 box sedan.

If you have a small window like in Swift or Beat it would have gone inside fully,
but what is the point in having rear windows that go in 100% but are so small ?
Ultimately its the outside view for the rear seat passenger that matters.

PS: Even the erstwhile Matiz had rear windows that opened only 60% and it had no wheel arches to block its way down. That prompted people to think that it is a safety feature to prevent kids and pets from jumping outside!!!
Good explanation dude! The pics make things clearer a lot. Thanks.

BTW, almost all Fiats sold in India have a similar restriction on the rear windows. Not sure about the Linea though.
Old 28th January 2010, 02:02   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Other Points:

• Doors lock automatically once the speedo crosses 7 kph.

• Under an emergency braking condition (at 60 mph / 96 kph and above), the parking lights will automatically start blinking to warn traffic at the back.
Great review GTO! The above mentioned safety features should be made mandatory in all cars.
Old 28th January 2010, 10:34   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivn View Post
Ford is pitching in a VFM car, hence its prudent to focus on really essential features that can make a difference in the ownership experience rather than focus on features which wudnt really dent the ownership experience much.
Point with the power windows it can only glide down only by 40-50%, so why spend that 3.5k per car when one canr roll it down by 40-50%. I think it makes sense to do away with this and provide something much more valuable.
Nice in theory but its a tough-sell. How do you justify no rear power windows on a car thats expected to cost 4 lacs OTR (my guess). Besides 50% glide means 50% less travel hence lesser amount of belt length & lower powered pulleys => lesser costs (lower than 3.5 k).
Like it was said elsewhere in this thread, why offer bluetooth and electric boot release if your pitch is VFM?
Which of these two activities do you think happen more often - rolling down rear windows (probably on a daily basis) OR opening boot (once a week perhaps)?
Old 28th January 2010, 12:46   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulpine101 View Post
I agree with you to an extent, But I defer with U also
I don't want to take the reason behind omitting rear power windows. Even Nano offers power windows. If cost cutting is the reason, Then why offer bluetooth or electric boot release!
I will make it clear. 'Even a small dot looks big on a clean paper'.

And I miss USB feature,come on now this is becoming standard for the segment. I lost the habit of buying cds, My 8GB pendrive does the job perfectly.
Nano has PW ?. Wow, they missed an opportunity to cut cost there. Just kidding. Point taken. Imagining myself with my friends in Figo, I am sure I would be slightly embarrassed if my friends remark "Dude your top end Figo doesnt have a PW ? My Nano has it."

USB omission is something I would crib about more than rear PW omission. Come on Ford, USB is a mighty useful feature for everyone and I really see myself using more of USBs than CDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_head View Post
Nice in theory but its a tough-sell. How do you justify no rear power windows on a car thats expected to cost 4 lacs OTR (my guess). Besides 50% glide means 50% less travel hence lesser amount of belt length & lower powered pulleys => lesser costs (lower than 3.5 k).
Like it was said elsewhere in this thread, why offer bluetooth and electric boot release if your pitch is VFM?
Which of these two activities do you think happen more often - rolling down rear windows (probably on a daily basis) OR opening boot (once a week perhaps)?
I feel it is a minor quirk. Not a deal breaker atleast for me. If I get one, its going to be mostly self driven and I wouldnt bother much about PW. Bluetooth is a cheap electronic stuff and electric boot release could have worked out cheaper compared to rear PW ( not sure though, just assuming).

I do feel, Ford can provide rear PW as an option for lower ends and as a default in higher ends. Hope, they listen to customer feedback and do necessary additions or deletions.
Old 28th January 2010, 12:57   #171
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Punto, in only 5 months of launch, is down to a mere 500 odd units (December 2009 sales).
Fiat India should thank T-bhpians for that

Ford is massively ramping up its sale & service outlet, they have opened one in Siliguri(dist-darjeeling)and one in Patna and i presume they are doing the same at other places too
Old 28th January 2010, 13:06   #172
Senior - BHPian

The low stance of the car makes ingress & egress a pain, it will not be a good car who have back related problems. I specially remember my in-laws changed there Esteem to a Santro owing to a back problem.

I also fail to understand why they have left out a 60:40 split seat at the rear; it is a very useful feature if you have some extra luggage or grocery.

Omission of USB is also more important point.
Old 28th January 2010, 14:16   #173
BHPian

Hey GTO I see you missed your trademark "A dead pedal will be sorely missed on long drives" line in this review just a "no dead pedal" comment instead!

But great review, as always. Not sure about the car, though; just bores me somehow... unless they price really well (and perhaps even if they do), what's the impetus to move the average buyer to buy this over the volume sellers in the category?
Old 28th January 2010, 14:39   #174
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, enough with the rear power window! Let's discuss the Figo's market positioning, Ford's after sales, the steering, handling, space ......simpler put, the more important things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Do they have a version with black center console? (instead of silver)
Pretty sure the base version will be all black but with a silver center console. Note that even in the top end, the unpopular clay red colour is optional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Great review GTO! The above mentioned safety features should be made mandatory in all cars.
I believe the only other car to have this emergency braking + parking lights activation is the Mercedes. Read it in the E Class brochure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post
Hey GTO I see you missed your trademark "A dead pedal will be sorely missed on long drives" line in this review just a "no dead pedal" comment instead!
Gotta keep each unique, right?

Quote:
Not sure about the car, though; just bores me somehow... unless they price really well (and perhaps even if they do)
We'll know soon. Rumour mills buzzing of a launch next week!
Old 28th January 2010, 14:58   #175
BHPian

@GTO - I found this feature Lane Change Indicator mentioned in other reports on the net. There is no mention of it in your review. Does Figo have it? Is it a useful feature?
Old 28th January 2010, 15:10   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I believe the only other car to have this emergency braking + parking lights activation is the Mercedes. Read it in the E Class brochure.
This is also available in the Passat and the Jetta. I believe it is supposed to be a compulsory feature now in germany. Not sure though.

In case of the Passat and Jetta it's not the hazard lamps that turn on but the brake lamp itself. During emergency braking the brake lamp is not continuous but flashes continuously.

The reasoning is that when the light continuously the driver of the vehicle in the rear notices that better than just a brake lamp which is just lighted up.
Old 28th January 2010, 15:10   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO,

Were any questions regarding the New Fiesta or future Ford offerings in India raised during the event?
Old 28th January 2010, 15:40   #178
BHPian

Quote:
I simply cannot understand why Ford is unable to give us control stalks in a right-hand-drive orientation. The indicators & headlamp flasher are on the left, while the wiper stalk is on the right. Headlamp controls are European style with a rotary switch on the RHS of the dashboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~h View Post
+1, and they it's designed for India..
It's a pain if you are used to (and still using) a car with RHD controls.
You know what, the RHD controls should become mandatory by the law, I think it's high time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I agree that it is a pain to have the wiper and indicator stalks on the wrong sides, and moreso if you own another car that has those on the correct side (like me ).

However, Ford has been consistent---Fiat has switched to the Ford pattern on its Punto and Linea models, when compared to the Palio.

I personaly prefer a method in the madness.
Being a Ford driver myself, I find it no major issue (of course this the only car I drive). In fact I consider it ergonomically correct to have it on the left. Let me explain.
  1. Indicator stalk on the left is (from what I have heard) according to EU standard (most countries are LHD) and hence followed by all/most European brands. Now as the UK is a part of the EU and (the only?) RHD country, it follows the EU standard.
  2. European manufacturers just bring that UK spec to India (also being RHD). This can be seen in most European cars like the Fords, Fiats (new), Renaults, Opels, Skodas, even on Daewoos and Chevys (barring the beat).
  3. For Japanese and Indian cars. Well their home market is RHD, so no issue in getting these here.
  4. For Koreans. They don't mind modifying to suit the local taste as far as possible!

See: Automotive lighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's typical to the UK: snopes.com - View Single Post - This Car Changed America

Not in Australia: snopes.com - View Single Post - This Car Changed America

Why I prefer it:
  1. Graduating from a bike to a car, the controls come on the same hands.
    - Right hand has the light main switch (knob on the car) and the starter button (key on the car).
    - Left Hand has the indicator and flasher, same on the car!
  2. This is a biggie. In an RHD car, an experienced driver will normally hold the steering with just one hand. The right. The left is free to change gears, fiddle with stereo, adjust AC and the likes. Now in city driving my right hand is often at the 12 o'clock position on the steering wheel (in order to give maximum rotation before having to leave the wheel). Now if I need to indicate a direction I need to have the right hand at the 3 o'clock position (which is not the best position for city driving). I rather use my (generally) free left hand to switch when needed. The only issue is when I need to indicate when changing gears and that happens rarely. I normally select the direction change before changing the gear

Driving Instructor Explains: snopes.com - View Single Post - This Car Changed America

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_head View Post
For most people like me it is the boot. I hardly use the car for a daily commute, but when I do, I keep the laptop in the hatch (yes so that it is out of prying eyes and locked at most times). Of course there is the luggage cover to obstruct direct view too!

Quote:
You can say that again! Simply can't beat the Punto on style! I saw a black one on sunday while crossing the road, made me turn my head and the rear looked wicked with that all metal / thin tail lamp design.
But you have often criticised the C-Pillar "Christmas Tree" style lights haven't you (in the Vista & the Figo too).

Of course they still do rounds in recent iterations of expensive (but not necessarily pretty) cars like the Honda CRV and Nissan X-Trail!
Old 28th January 2010, 15:50   #179
Senior - BHPian

The hatch market in India is price conscious - not only about the initial cost, but also about the running cost. Ford has an image of being costly to maintain, which will be difficult to overcome - the 5 year service warranty is something that helps though.

The next thing about competing in the volume market is the reach of the A.S.S - Maruti and Hyundai, and to an extent Tata-Fiat have an advantage here.
Old 28th January 2010, 16:18   #180
BHPian

Thanks a lot GTO for such a wonderful detailed review and also for promptly replying to all the queries and questions.

My reading of Figo is that it looks to be a good car but fails to give knock out punch both from design and features point of view. One will have to wait for the prices to be announced but as you have said it will give knock out punch in pricing. It will be interesting to see how it performs against likes of Swift-Ritz-i10-Punto-Beat.

My gut feeling is similar to the guy from ford (I forgot his name) who observed that initially it will sell well but after a while it will settle for numbers around 3500 & that too mainly on diesel strength.

Last edited by rutvij : 28th January 2010 at 16:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks