Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2010, 20:30   #1546
BHPian

Mustang,

Thanks for the reply.I can live without ABS, tell me about the airbags. Do they make a difference if one was wearing the seat belts?
Old 6th April 2010, 20:31   #1547
BANNED

@fiery enzyme : They are really effective in saving you from frontal impact, Have a good life saving rate in frontal impacts.It cushions you during a frontal impact, But in case of an impact from the side/rear, they are completely useless.
Old 6th April 2010, 20:33   #1548
BHPian

How important is ABS in India?

I thought it was pertinent to frozen/slippery roads.

I do a daily commute of 20KM on city roads. Is it important for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
@fiery enzyme : depends entirely on you, i dont care much about airbags but if you can manage without ABS then buy it.
Old 6th April 2010, 20:36   #1549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
Hi All,

Now I'm really tempted and confused. The only difference is the ABS and Airbags. Should I wait for the titanium or should I go for the ZXI? The feedback from family and friends are for both sides of the arguments.

Should I wait or go for the ZXI?
Zxi= if your are gonna drive with atleast 4 passengers and city driving conditions
Titanium: More of highway driving,and safety is top priority.
end call is yours
Old 6th April 2010, 20:37   #1550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post

You have no idea how useful ABS is in our dusty roads with some light mud on it. It's also super useful on wet roads. My heart's always in my mouth when I have to brake hard in my 800 on a wet road or on a road with mud layer on top of the tar. I have had wheel lock up at times and it's not a pleasant experience. Always get an ABS equipped car if you can afford it.

fiery enzyme, my suggestion would be to wait for the Titanium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio07 View Post
Zxi= if your are gonna drive with atleast 4 passengers and city driving conditions
Titanium: More of highway driving,and safety is top priority.
end call is yours
A car can easily skid in city conditions as well. And how will the presence of 4 passengers inside prevent wheel lock up? The TD cars that were crashed in Bangalore were being driven in the city and the airbags probably saved the passengers inside.

Last edited by Gilead : 6th April 2010 at 20:42.
Old 6th April 2010, 20:38   #1551
BHPian

Quote:

City drive we can do without ABS, but if your prone to Panic braking then ABS would be more useful. to avoid skidding due to brakes locking the wheel
Old 6th April 2010, 20:38   #1552
BANNED

Quote:

I believe that ABS is the most important safety feature in India. Its more relevant at high speeds though .

It basically allows your vehicle to steer without locking up the wheels when you brake hard, Thus if unexpectedly you see a stationary object on the road & you cant stop by then, then simply you can brake as hard as you want & at the same time can also steer the car away from the object.
Detailed explanation can be found at wikipedia

Check this out!

Ford - Ford Fiesta Safety
Old 6th April 2010, 20:49   #1553
BHPian

I read the tech part, but had booked a Zxi.
Will book an ABS on my next car though.

I'm generally a sedate driver. For the rest, TIG.

Quote:
I believe that ABS is the most important safety feature in India. Its more relevant at high speeds though .
Old 6th April 2010, 20:53   #1554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio07 View Post
City drive we can do without ABS, but if your prone to Panic braking then ABS would be more useful. to avoid skidding due to brakes locking the wheel
Only bad drivers are prone to panic braking. Even good drivers have to resort to panic braking at times to avoid obstacles on the road. IMO most panic braking and wheel lock ups happen in the city and not on the highway. E.g. kids running on the road, share autos suddenly cutting across lanes to pick up or drop off passengers, cyclists weaving around to avoid potholes, traffic signals suddenly changing to red and policemen jumping in front to stop you etc. Highways are relatively far more peaceful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
OK. I will wait for the titanium then Sigh!
You definitely won't regret it.
Old 6th April 2010, 20:57   #1555
BANNED

Quote:
It is steering adjustment/alignment, The steering gaiters have to be removed & then steering has to be adjusted, Dont even think of getting this done outside.
+1 to that. Doing wheel alignment / wheel balancing with outside tire shops has always been a let-down in my experience. At least, dont consider this option for cars which are less than 5 years old.
Old 6th April 2010, 21:10   #1556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
+1 to that. Doing wheel alignment / wheel balancing with outside tire shops has always been a let-down in my experience. At least, dont consider this option for cars which are less than 5 years old.
As Mustang has pointed out, it's not just a simple alignment/balancing issue but rather a steering issue. Outside tire shops are always better at balancing/alignment from my experience. But one needs to ensure that the tire shop has modern equipment.

Last edited by Gilead : 6th April 2010 at 21:13.
Old 6th April 2010, 21:11   #1557
BHPian

[+1 to that. Doing wheel alignment / wheel balancing with outside tire shops has always been a let-down in my experience. At least, dont consider this option for cars which are less than 5 years old.
]
I would say never, I had to get my car alignment re-done after the one-and-only time the wheels were balanced & aligned outside. This was at the Vijay auto after the free installation of michellins brought from lalbhag rd.
Old 6th April 2010, 21:15   #1558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Only bad drivers are prone to panic braking. Even good drivers have to resort to panic braking at times to avoid obstacles on the road. IMO most panic braking and wheel lock ups happen in the city and not on the highway. E.g. kids running on the road, share autos suddenly cutting across lanes to pick up or drop off passengers, cyclists weaving around to avoid potholes, traffic signals suddenly changing to red and policemen jumping in front to stop you etc. Highways are relatively far more peaceful.

You definitely won't regret it.
I would have opted for an ABS if there was an option on the ZXi, wouldnt mind the extra safety feature. Within city, chances of wheel locking at speeds around 50 kmph are less IMO. Even with ABS, one won't have the space to manoevre the vehicle. I feel its the highway when ABS helps, load falling of a truck, stray animals and the wayward people trying to cross highways.
Old 6th April 2010, 21:18   #1559
BHPian

Will the steering alignment be a problem in the cars going to be delivered in the month of may?
Old 6th April 2010, 21:18   #1560
BANNED

@scorpio07 : for ABS to be effective, one does needs space but we cant rule out city use completely.

@fiery_enzyme : The steering problem was only with 50-100 cars already produced, It has been now corrected so you need not worry for may deliveries, Guys taking delivery today also need not worry, problem has already been sorted (those taking delivery prior to march 31 should check)

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 6th April 2010 at 21:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks