Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2010, 17:25   #1606
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanD View Post
hmm.. if what poloman is suggesting is true.. it would be quite a revealation. So far, I could only think of Agricultural produce where distinction based on size and quality_of_finish can be made.

A question to RGK's friend: what if a feature designed only for top-end model (say, airbags, rear-wiper) is found to be defective in a car. Could ford sell it as LXI/EXI and tell the customer "don't mind the non-working airbag"?

ScanD - just leave out defects.. may not be based on defects.. my question is on what parameters they are lined up as LXI, ZXi etc... is it based on demand, requirement, timeline, product finishing, or some automobile secrets... etc..
Called up my friend, still he believes that top end models are definitely a class apart from lower ends purely based on quality... he may be wrong. Just to know.
Old 7th April 2010, 17:28   #1607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Pl come out of Ford. Just it is a generic question. May not fit into the thread. Do you mean to say today all will be Exi and tomorrow Zxi and Lxi after a week. Squeeze painting on Zxi will be after April 18th . Just tell on what parameters they are lined up. Even if it is based on timelines, there should be some parameters.. want to know what are they...
The line is set up based on the demand forecast. The dealer input is one parameters and I am sure the marketing team at Ford has their own way of forecasting demand as well. I have no way of knowing for sure as I work in the Telecom industry and not the auto industry. But I have a fairly good academic knowledge of manufacturing operations and I can assure you what your friend says is untrue. It adds an unreal level of complexity to operations and I am sure no plant in the world is set up that way. Of course it will be all LXi or ZXi or Titanium in a certain day or certain shift. That's when the line can churn out the maximum number of cars.

Has anyone seen a single Squeeze on the road yet? It's obvious that mass production of Squeeze, either petrol or diesel, has not started yet. The forecast for Squeeze may or may not have been correct.

Is your friend an auto industry inisder?

Last edited by Gilead : 7th April 2010 at 17:34.
Old 7th April 2010, 17:44   #1608
BHPian

This segregation based on defects seems a bad guess. Today most of the manufacturing processes are automated and variations among individual cars is going to be very less. The EXI,LXI trims manufacturing scheduled should logically based on dealer requirements+ford marketing input+info based on trending. A major part of the manufacturing process(chassis, painting, body etc) is going to be common across models.Interiors, electrical are the ones that is going vary a lot.
Old 7th April 2010, 18:13   #1609
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
The line is set up based on the demand forecast. The dealer input is one parameters and I am sure the marketing team at Ford has their own way of forecasting demand as well. I have no way of knowing for sure as I work in the Telecom industry and not the auto industry. But I have a fairly good academic knowledge of manufacturing operations and I can assure you what your friend says is untrue. It adds an unreal level of complexity to operations and I am sure no plant in the world is set up that way. Of course it will be all LXi or ZXi or Titanium in a certain day or certain shift. That's when the line can churn out the maximum number of cars.

Has anyone seen a single Squeeze on the road yet? It's obvious that mass production of Squeeze, either petrol or diesel, has not started yet. The forecast for Squeeze may or may not have been correct.

Is your friend an auto industry inisder?
No he is associated with Auto industry in a different form from 1985.
I agree with your point and the complexity of day to day operations. But the Squeeze is respect to painting. Is the QC done for all stages or after the final painting is done.
Old 7th April 2010, 18:16   #1610
Senior - BHPian

I don't know anything about car manufacturing or grading. Difficult to do this since a single car composes of thousands of components. I know more about processors than about cars
Old 7th April 2010, 19:12   #1611
BHPian

Mustang,

I am happy and Appreciate your high resilient perseverence. Keep up the Great work. You are doing a great QC job for the FIGO outside Ford plant too.
Old 7th April 2010, 21:17   #1612
BHPian

OT: @mkerala - "Why are they not promoting abs and airbag which is much effective than seat belt?" not to sure about this statement. As for the airbag to keep the user safe the seatbelt has to be used. SO the goverement is having trouble getting people to use seatbelts and if they help to make airbags cheaper without using seatbelt would be asking for trouble. Just a firmbeleiver of the seatbelt as it does save lifes, it did mine

Old 7th April 2010, 21:59   #1613
BHPian

Coral alternative

Quick question - is the quality of the black option the same or inferior to the coral option in the Titanium option?
Old 7th April 2010, 22:49   #1614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
Quick question - is the quality of the black option the same or inferior to the coral option in the Titanium option?
yes its of same quality
Old 7th April 2010, 22:59   #1615
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
I am no expert on these..will wait for you to throw some light. From a layman's perspective like me, it is the clock speed/cache etc that will differ. Are you trying to suggest that a defective 3Ghz will be packaged as a acceptable 2.5 Ghz and sold?
Well, you are partly right and partly wrong.

No processor manufacturer sells defective parts. Whether it is a 2.5 GHz or 3 GHz processor, you can be very sure that they do their job 100% accurately.

However, there could be performance variations across various manufacturing lots. That is to say that a lot from today might work 100% accurately till 3 GHz clock, while a lot from tomorrow might work 100% accurately only upto 2.5 GHz clock.

The units from the latter lot are sold at a lower price (and also marked differently as 2.5 GHz units)
Old 7th April 2010, 23:40   #1616
Senior - BHPian

Pyso has closed this discussion nicely. They are both the same other than the performance difference due to process variations. Cost difference will be huge due to less yield of high performance parts in a lot. Both are 100% fine.Sorry for going OT.

Last edited by poloman : 7th April 2010 at 23:41.
Old 8th April 2010, 07:22   #1617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Other Points:

• The 1.4 TDCi engine weighs only 98 kilos.

Super, can we get the engine to do duty on a super light weight 4x4? Allan, where are you
Old 8th April 2010, 07:50   #1618
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
Its of the same quality
Old 8th April 2010, 12:03   #1619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
Which one would be a good option Figo Titanium Petrol or Figo EXI Diesel since my budget is around Rs 5.5L.
You are the only one who can answer that. Since you asked this question, i assume you are not interested in ABS and Airbags (I chose Titanium only for those 2 features. Otherwise, it would've been an Exi for me). So, if i were you, I would be comparing Exi Vs Zxi and proceed as below;
1) Compare features of Exi Vs Zxi and pick the one that i need
2) Take TD of both petrol and diesel and see if I like the drive. Ensure other stakeholders (family) join both the TDs. (they should be okay with factors like A/C, noise, ride comfort, etc. In my case, i didn't like the drivability of petrol and my wife didn't like the noise of diesel car)

Based on results of the above 2 points, I would make a choice which may involve some compromises. of course, there are far many factors that ppl consider like mileage, no. of kms/month, resale value, proven engine, etc. but i guess you have already considered them and your decision doesn't involve them.

Last edited by scanD : 8th April 2010 at 12:19.
Old 8th April 2010, 12:32   #1620
SCH
BHPian

But the dealer tole me the Figo mileagefor Petrol would be around 12-13 in city and

Figo Petrol would only give you 11 kmpl in city drive, do not go what the dealer is saying. Ford has never been known for good FE figures in Petrol Engine. The Diesel Figo would give you around 15/16 in city. but you should be ready for higher engine noise. and the diesel clatter. The old Fiesta Diesel clatter a lot as they grow old.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks