Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 12:42   #1621
BHPian

At last did some calculations on Fuel economy and Travel based on current fuel rates.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-fuel-economy.jpg  

Last edited by kadri007 : 8th April 2010 at 12:48.
Old 8th April 2010, 12:53   #1622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
I am not a fan of diesel engines, but the FE of Diesel engine will save me around 35K annually, but I will be shelling more on EMI and maintainance, So is it worth going for it, will my 35K saving on Fuel will be spent on additional maintainance of Diesel engines.
Also how are the resale values differing between Petrol and Diesel engines. I may sell only after 5 year term. So want a engine which will be good and give less trouble for 5 years.
Petrol Vs Diesel is one of the much debated topics on this forum and further elaboration here would make it OT .

I remember reading a fabulous thread (i think it was referred to in one of the Figo threads as well).. through which I concluded that Diesel makes financial sense only for the high usage customers (as in taxi segment). Private users like me lose much money on Initial 1lakh, extra interest on loan, depreciation etc .. which would kinda negate any savings i might get from Diesel cost and mileage.
There are many people on the forum who own a diesel for the "low-end-torque drivability" and not any financial factor.
Old 8th April 2010, 14:59   #1623
BHPian

Apart from the OTR cost, what are the Misc expenses that will occur. Just need an approximate figure.

Ex : License plates, greasing(hand) etc.
Old 8th April 2010, 15:11   #1624
RGK
Senior - BHPian

I think in Chennai, OTR covers License plates also. If Sun Films not needed, I think may be 1 or 2k more is enough to drive home the new baby.

Last edited by RGK : 8th April 2010 at 15:11. Reason: grammar
Old 8th April 2010, 15:17   #1625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
Figo Petrol would only give you 11 kmpl in city drive, do not go what the dealer is saying. Ford has never been known for good FE figures in Petrol Engine. The Diesel Figo would give you around 15/16 in city. but you should be ready for higher engine noise. and the diesel clatter. The old Fiesta Diesel clatter a lot as they grow old.
Ford has never been known for great petrol FE because they have mostly sold only the deliciously powerful 1.6 engines till now. Who cares about FE when you have an engine like that. The 1.6 Duratec gives about 10-11 in the city. I am getting 9.5 on a 1.6S with 15 inch low profile tires. I would expect at least 12-13 from the 1.2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
Thanks Brix, I was not thinking of the Diesel version at all, but when I was checking with my friends 15-20K Kms in a year they are telling me to go for diesel.
What is your avg running in a year? If it's 18K-20K or more, go for diesel. Else stick to petrol. There was a great excel sheet in one of the petrol vs. diesel threads. Use that and let us know what the results were. The re-sale value of the diesel will be higher because it costs more to start with and has a better demand. If I were you, I would take the Titanium petrol because it offers additional safety features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
Apart from the OTR cost, what are the Misc expenses that will occur. Just need an approximate figure.

Ex : License plates, greasing(hand) etc.
License plate costs 500 bucks and it is already baked into your OTR price under some head. Greasing hand for registration is also taken care of in the OTR. You can give something to the polishing guys, security men etc if you want.

Last edited by Gilead : 8th April 2010 at 15:21.
Old 8th April 2010, 16:12   #1626
BHPian

If Figo petrol's 'on road' mileage is going to be around 11-13 kmpl, it would only mean that Ford hasn't really done all of its homework properly. Producing a cheap small car with loads of features with the assurance of affordable and durable spares as well as a growing fleet of dealers is excellent work, keeping the average Indian in mind. But the average Indian has another average in mind before buying a car. If Ford ingores that critical component -- a great fuel economy/average -- in its petrol Figo, the petrol variant could well struggle to leave the showroom. The horror FE tales of Fiat's early Palio still lingers in the minds of the average Indian.

If Figo petrol drinks a litre of petrol every 12-13 kms, it is surely off on my radar, no matter what goodies it has to offer.

Last edited by misquitas : 8th April 2010 at 16:25.
Old 8th April 2010, 16:17   #1627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
If Figo petrol drinks a litre of petrol every 12-13 kms, it is surely off on my radar, no matter what goodies it has to offer.
Which is exactly why I am waiting for the All New WagonR and also want to get an actual feedback from owners of the petrol Figo before deciding. The diesel is great but I have my doubts on the petrol's FE. I need a minimum FE of 15 else the Figo's out.
Old 8th April 2010, 16:19   #1628
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For a vehicle which in terms of dimensions and weight is quite close to the Swift, how much mileage do you expect to get? The Swift-P as per my friends returns similar mileage figures, which IMO is at par for the segment.
Old 8th April 2010, 16:28   #1629
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Even diesel as per Joe & Gemi's observation's (driven in Kerala) they are getting 15 km/l which is also not a healthy one as compared with its competitors.
Old 8th April 2010, 16:31   #1630
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't know what the milage of Figo is.

But your comment above is imho missing out on the greatest cost of car ownership.

It is not just the fuel economy.

Assume Price of petrol at 60 Rs a liter.
Cost per km for 14 kmpl: 4.28
Cost per km for 12 kmpl: 5

Most petrol cars are driven around 10k kms a year.
Anything more and you are better of buying a diesel.

So the car with lesser milage costs you an extra 8,000 a year.
or 660 Rs a month.

This was calculated at Rs 60 per liter of petrol.
For actual petrol price the difference will be lesser.

Most cars are owned for 5 years.
So overall extra money spent on fuel is 40k.

That is just a fraction of the amount lost in depreciation.

Do not reject a car outright just because it gives a km or 2 less than the best in category for milage.
Old 8th April 2010, 16:35   #1631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
For a vehicle which in terms of dimensions and weight is quite close to the Swift, how much mileage do you expect to get?
My benchmark is the FE of the K-series Swift/Ritz, which is surely not 11-13 kmpl.
Old 8th April 2010, 16:47   #1632
RGK
Senior - BHPian

In today's The Hindu, there was a big advt by GM with Beat & Cruise photos - "Dont follow the Hype" - I think they mean only Figo
Old 8th April 2010, 16:48   #1633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My benchmark is the FE of the K-series Swift/Ritz, which is surely not 11-13 kmpl.
If you are looking at an F.E atleast 15km/l in city you surely should go with the K Series Engine. Its a real good engine. Though i'm not sure about 15 in city i'm sure its one of the best from Maruti Stable.
Old 8th April 2010, 16:50   #1634
Senior - BHPian

Is there any Swift (K-Series) owners who can confirm the FE?

IMO, it should be giving less FE compared to the A-Star/Ritz.
Old 8th April 2010, 16:54   #1635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Which is exactly why I am waiting for the All New WagonR and also want to get an actual feedback from owners of the petrol Figo before deciding. The diesel is great but I have my doubts on the petrol's FE. I need a minimum FE of 15 else the Figo's out.
Your only choice is an A Star then. Only the A Star will return 15 in city conditions. Every other B segment hatch will give 12-13 only in the city. Mileage figures are usually exaggerated by owners anyway. Else get the diesel which will give 15 in the city.

Quote:
What do you think is the FE of the K Series Swift and Ritz in the city? Definitely not more than 13 in typical city bumper to bumper start stop traffic. Like I said, if you want 15 in the city, get an A Star. Even an Alto will return only 13-14. My M800 which is in an excellent condition gives only 12 in the city. My colleagues with an i10 1.2 and 1.1 get 11-12 and 12-13 respectively in the city. If you are looking at 15, you are looking at a small capacity 3 cyl engine or a diesel.

Last edited by Gilead : 8th April 2010 at 16:59.

Most Viewed