Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2011, 13:12   #4321
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
I cant believe the excuses the SAs tell the customers.
Yes thats the kind of the sound. There is a also a slight thud thud noise coming from the left rear side.
Anilisanil, Surely will get back to you. Will take the car to the A.S.S and see what they say.
Others facing this problem please post about it.
I've learnt to live with this squeeking noise. Though not very prominent, it exists. With the music on, the noise is completely drowned. As I hardly drive without music, it doesnt bother me much.
It is during times when i drive through heavily roughened roads that the noise gets its life though. Over the three services, the noise has dampened out but i re iterate again, it still exists.

What i would like to bring it out here is that the A.S.S did it free of cost in the initial two services, when i went in for the 20k servicing, they charged me for it!! Which i believe, within any realms of fancy, is simply ridiculous. Any one with similar experiences???

Ford already knows that there's this problem of squeaky noise. What they should ideally do is to do some kind of recall and get it rectified once and for all. It would only go into building up the reputation of the company for its customer service standards
Old 7th May 2011, 13:48   #4322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkglow View Post
Is it possible to remove the integrated headrests and fit normal ones?
Or, if that's not possible, is it possible to install extra headrests on top of the existing ones?
Old 7th May 2011, 15:50   #4323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
What i would like to bring it out here is that the A.S.S did it free of cost in the initial two services, when i went in for the 20k servicing, they charged me for it!! Which i believe, within any realms of fancy, is simply ridiculous. Any one with similar experiences???
I was charged 42/- for a foam filling insert behind the meter console lining when I complained about a clicking noise from that area. Now how silly is that? Believe me, it was hardly 3 pieces of 3cm foam strips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkglow View Post
Is it possible to remove the integrated headrests and fit normal ones?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Or, if that's not possible, is it possible to install extra headrests on top of the existing ones?
All these are technically possible and can be considered as just pure modifications of the back rest. Only thing is finding a good place/person to get it done. A good upholstery worker in your region should be able to assist you.

Or just try checking with the dealer if a Fiesta Classic CLXi back seat with the adjustable headrests is a direct fit in the Figo. That would keep things simpler at a higher cost though.
Old 7th May 2011, 16:14   #4324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
I've learnt to live with this squeeking noise. Though not very prominent, it exists. With the music on, the noise is completely drowned. As I hardly drive without music, it doesnt bother me much.
It is during times when i drive through heavily roughened roads that the noise gets its life though. Over the three services, the noise has dampened out but i re iterate again, it still exists.

Ford already knows that there's this problem of squeaky noise. What they should ideally do is to do some kind of recall and get it rectified once and for all. It would only go into building up the reputation of the company for its customer service standards
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
I was charged 42/- for a foam filling insert behind the meter console lining when I complained about a clicking noise from that area. Now how silly is that? Believe me, it was hardly 3 pieces of 3cm foam strips.
I wasnt charged anything but I wouldnt mind paying if they fix this irritating problem permanently. Now I have to waste time, fuel and take a day off going to the *** to fix this small nagging problem.
Old 7th May 2011, 18:10   #4325
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
What's the difference in mileage figures with and without AC?

My FIGO has completed 14k kms and in the winters in Delhi it used to be 20+ all the time....heck i even saw figures of 22.7 and 21+ a few times.

But now that the summers are here and the AC is on all the time, last mileage was 14.2 and even this refill seems to be heading for a similar figure.

A difference of 6 kmpl is something that amazes me, cos the driver and the route are the same with similar traffic conditions.

Can people share their mileage figures please? Esp owners from NCR (since I live in Delhi)

Yes, i will comment on it. If you drive with the AC on mileage does fall by 3-4 kmpl.

But what happens in Delhi is that when the Summers are on, people who own cars and bikes, prefer to go to work on cars (AC is absolutely necessary). You might have noticed it that the traffic situation now is much worse than what it was say 2 months back. This causes a further drop in FE.
Old 7th May 2011, 22:12   #4326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Yes, i will comment on it. If you drive with the AC on mileage does fall by 3-4 kmpl.

But what happens in Delhi is that when the Summers are on, people who own cars and bikes, prefer to go to work on cars (AC is absolutely necessary). You might have noticed it that the traffic situation now is much worse than what it was say 2 months back. This causes a further drop in FE.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts/inputs. What I have finally decided is to keep the car with me for 15 days or so and then check the mileage again. I drive from South Delhi to Gurgaon and I leave for office at around 7:15. The traffic should not be an issue/factor. Till then I will keep my fingers crossed.
Old 9th May 2011, 08:10   #4327
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
Mustang 101 - It is great news that 1 lakh Figos have been sold. With the success of the Fiesta and the Figo, Ford has become a main stream car manufacturer in India. My question/Concern is around how Ford is planning on servicing this number of cars presently on road + future. Are there any plans to increase service network? I am guessing if one wants to be a volume vendor then servicing capacity is key. Currently, atleast in S.India, this is the scenario:

- Many big/medium size cities have only 1 Ford service center. There are always problems around getting appointments etc. Also, the lack of competition makes the dealer very complacent. Case in point - the addition of a new Tata dealer in my city totally changed the attitude of the existing dealer.

- No small town/small city here has a Ford dealer. So every Ford owner in the nearby towns have to come to the big cities for service - this further burdens the already heavily loaded dealers.

Would appreciate if you could share or illuminate on how Ford plans to ramp up its service network. Thanks!
Yes absolutely. Chennai (hub of FIL) has 2 SC's but MPL has more workshops to handle. Worst case is in Coimbatore where there is one dealer. Heard that one more guy is contacting FIL to get atleast a SC opened up, but facing stiff competition from present SC. If you do not have an appointment and there is a need to have an immediate checkup, thatsall need to run corners to get this done.

Quote:
2. New dealerships are being planned in cities/towns and will be opening very soon. As far as i can see the real rush problem is in big cities where as the people in smaller cities that have a ford dealership are enjoying pretty good service. However, there will be a lot of complaints (like you mentioned) in these small cities if the dealership owner thinks that he is a monarch
Since most of the sales are Diesel figos, the mileage was done pretty fast in smaller towns/cities and the problem of getting a service appointment is certainly difficult. In fact I made an appointment 1 week before for my 10k service and reminded two times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Metro ford here did not rotate the tyres on my figo during the second service
When I asked the SA he told its to be done only at 20,000KM

The Annoying rear rattling sound is back again. Exactly 1000KM after the last service.
Absolutley. SA says tyre rotation is at only 20k, but all the tire companies recommend to do at 5k or atleast 10k. I think still there are no permanent fixes for rattling noises and squeaks by FIL. My rear windows still roll down after placing the lever as per the TSB by FIL.

Quote:
Today I was low on Diesel and was going to work, so switched off the AC as I did not want to cut it too close (I have pretty much never driven the Figo without AC before). To my suprise the performance of the car was in a different league:

- There was almost NO turbo lag even in low rpms
- The acceleration on 2nd & 3rd was much better
- The car could be driven 1 gear higher than the norm in my route

To summarize, it was like driving a petrol car!! It is addictive - now even after filling diesel, I am tempted to switch off the AC...only that it gets unbearable hot (I don't roll the windows down).

I have driven the old indica where you switch of AC to overtake and this is nothing like that. Figo's performance is very much acceptable with AC on. However, the power delivery without AC is superb and makes driving in the city so much easier. Now naturally having experienced it, I want the same with the AC on too

Not sure how the MJD performs without AC.
-The compressor noise is completely shutdown, so you get a feel of less sound from the engine bay.
-1.5 Ton compressor resulting in more load and loss of power
-When AC is switched on, the increase in engine idle rpm is around 100-200 (i dont know whether this is done electronically or mechanically) and certainly gives a difference in all the three points you have mentioned. Yes driving without AC gives a feeling of more pickup.(Adds a psychological effect also)
As far as I have driven diesel vehicles, I did not feel this difference only in Innova.

I was driving towards the east direction in chennai around 11am and it was terribly hot. AC was functioning well, but I got a different plastic smell especially from the dash.
In the earlier part of this thread, some guys were mentioning the dash effect in the Figo. The dash was certainly hot than most of the cars and also a different smell is felt.
Old 9th May 2011, 08:51   #4328
BHPian

My brother owns a Figo ZXi Diesel which is about a month and a half old. This weekend he gave his car for first service and yesterday we noticed that water has seeped into the left headlight. We can see moisture inside the headlight. Has anyone else faced this issue with the figo?

Need some inputs from fellow figo owners.
Old 9th May 2011, 09:18   #4329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post

I was driving towards the east direction in chennai around 11am and it was terribly hot. AC was functioning well, but I got a different plastic smell especially from the dash.
In the earlier part of this thread, some guys were mentioning the dash effect in the Figo. The dash was certainly hot than most of the cars and also a different smell is felt.
Try to set the flow of air to your face, footwell and the front windshield (set the dial at 10 o' clock position for that)

This will result in cooler cabin since the windshield will remain cooler.

Also keep the blower to position 3 for nice chilling effect all over.
Diesel lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 10:47   #4330
BHPian

I suggest you go in for good windshield suncontrol film / window suncontrol..makes a huge difference (they are on the expensive side though).

My friends car had a 3500Rs (total cost) suncontrol film (not sure of the brand) on all 4 side windows/rear and nothing on the windshield. My car had 'Raybarrier' (almost transparent looking) sunfilm on windows/back and 3M transparent windshield film on the front (total: about 10K for all). We had parked our cars in the open sun for about 2 hrs. When we came back his car was like a oven and the steering/dash for really really hot. My car was just warm and AC took care of it a couple of minutes.

I was skeptical in the begining on spending 10K on sunfilm but after 2 mo of use, I am really happy. Also, the vendor claims that the 3M film reduces glare when driving at night...not 100% sure of this claim, have not been able to test it relaibly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Yes absolutely. Chennai (hub of FIL) has 2 SC's but
Old 9th May 2011, 12:22   #4331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I suggest you go in for good windshield suncontrol film / window suncontrol..makes a huge difference (they are on the expensive side though).
I would suggest no. The glasses we have now are already UV protected, so a film is suggested only for privacy, everything else is marketing gimmick, I have Llumar film all around my car (to even the front windshield) and I feel no different in a friend's car which is without any filming. Technically speaking, all heat because of UV is already filtered out by your glasses/windshield and you cannot stop IR or visible light from entering the cabin!

So directing the a/c towards windshield is a better option than the sun control film!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
A difference of 6 kmpl is something that amazes me, cos the driver and the route are the same with similar traffic conditions.

Can people share their mileage figures please? Esp owners from NCR (since I live in Delhi)

I am not from NCR, but my mileage dropped by up to 3-5 kmpl as summer started. And apart from the a/c and traffic conditions, it is a known fact that Engines perform better in Winter, due to lower ambient temperature, denser air helping in the performance!

Last edited by anilisanil : 9th May 2011 at 12:28.
anilisanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 12:28   #4332
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
I would suggest no. The glasses we have now are already UV protected, so a film is suggested only for privacy, everything else is marketing gimmick, I have Llumar film all around my car (to even the front windshield) and I feel no different in a friend's car which is without any filming. Technically speaking, all heat because of UV is already filtered out by your glasses/windshield and you cannot stop IR or visible light from entering the cabin!

So directing the a/c towards windshield is a better option than the sun control film!
Anil as far as my knowledge goes, UV does not cause any heating effects. Only IR rays cause the heat. Sunfilms can help reduce IR radiations by reflecting and/or absorbing the IR rays.

I have felt the difference (ooops ford reference!) by using 3M RE 50 on the sides of my fusion. Now i am ready for the front one.
Mustang.101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 13:03   #4333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anil as far as my knowledge goes, UV does not cause any heating effects. Only IR rays cause the heat. Sunfilms can help reduce IR radiations by reflecting and/or absorbing the IR rays.

I have felt the difference (ooops ford reference!) by using 3M RE 50 on the sides of my fusion. Now i am ready for the front one.

Yeah you are right, UV is not responsible for the "sensation" of heat. But I am not too sure if the films can complete block all the IR radiation and still confirm to the legal norms. The legal films cannot block all the IR and then we have the Green House effect.

3M RE 50 has Visibile Light reflected factor at 13% and Visible Light transmitted at 51 %, TSER (total solar energy reflected) 43% and there is no information on their website if it actually reflects IR

I use Llumar Steel ATR 50 which has VLR at 8, VLT 51% TSER at 34 and no information about IR.

So I am not too sure how you felt it is good, because by all possibilities neither of ours films block IR and the ones that do (Vkool and 3M's CR range) are pretty expensive. This is going off topic, more details here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...n-film-22.html

Last edited by anilisanil : 9th May 2011 at 13:07.
Old 9th May 2011, 13:30   #4334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Even UV will get trapped and heat up things (not to talk of all the other nasty stuff they do to materials) - but in sunlight the amount of UV vs. the amount of IR is substantially in favour of IR. At sea level UV will be very very small fraction and even glass absorbs it, so hardly any filters into the car to begin with.

IR is the biggest problem as far as heating goes.

Special materials are needed to stop longer-wavelengths (i.e. IR) while letting shorted wavelengths (i.e. visible) pass - that is why near-transparent heat shielding films are expensive. just about any film that darkens the glasses may not stop IR, and if that is the kind of film someone has in his car, there is no point blaming the film.

Coming to Figo : Mustang can you tell me whether it is a good idea to get the film from the dealership or can I get it done elsewhere? Fortune Ford charged me 11k for Art Leather covers and I'm not sure they are the best option for accessories.
Old 9th May 2011, 13:37   #4335
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Coming to Figo : Mustang can you tell me whether it is a good idea to get the film from the dealership or can I get it done elsewhere? Fortune Ford charged me 11k for Art Leather covers and I'm not sure they are the best option for accessories.
Get it done from outside.

Also you paid a lot for the art leather seat covers. I got mine from an autoform distributor one of the best quality ones for 5100/- including snug fitting.

I recommend that you go to an authorized 3M dealer and get it done.

Most Viewed