Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2018, 11:41   #10786
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Alright, so i got the car back last weekend.

Pulled the injectors out and got them serviced at hema diesels in bangalore. Out of 4, sensors on two had apparently failed so we got them replaced and serviced the entire lot. That bill worked out to 18k.

Fitted the injectors back and dare i say the car sounds sweeter. I will be keeping a watch, but i think the worst is behind me.

I received stellar support from golden ford salem, really top bunch of guys. They didn't blink when i said i wanted the injectors serviced, and also went ahead and got me a discount on new injectors should the need arise.

Unfortunate lesson, but if i spot a good bunk on the other side of the highway, i think its worth the trouble to go the distance for good fuel.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 12:13   #10787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Didn't Ford move to Bosch injectors with the facelift Figo in end 2012 ? The Conti injectors are the one's that have issues and most of the affected cars are before the facelift.
Yes. From what I've read, that is true.

That brings me to another question that I have.
On the pre-facelift cars, when the injector fails, do they replace the failed Continental injectors with the newer Bosch ones or do they replace them with continentals only again?
Turrrb0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 12:14   #10788
BHPian

Quote:
Didn't Ford move to Bosch injectors with the facelift Figo in end 2012 ? The Conti injectors are the one's that have issues and most of the affected cars are before the facelift.
I have heard that the face-lift had Bosch. Can't confirm though.

Mine is from the May 2012 batch and it had Continental injectors.

Bosch injectors cost hardly 9500 while the Continental ones cost 18k.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 19th September 2018 at 12:38.
Ragavsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 12:26   #10789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
On the pre-facelift cars, when the injector fails, do they replace the failed Continental injectors with the newer Bosch ones or do they replace them with continentals only again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
Bosch injectors cosy hardly 9500 while the Continental ones cost 18k.
Mine is a Jan 2012 make. It has the continental ones too.
Are the two injectors that much different? Can they be interchanged?
That price difference it HUGE!

Last edited by Turrrb0 : 19th September 2018 at 12:31.
Old 19th September 2018, 12:34   #10790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

Fitted the injectors back and dare i say the car sounds sweeter. I will be keeping a watch, but i think the worst is behind me.
Nice to read that you got the car back up and in pristine condition.
How much has it run?

But how confident were they that the issue was due to poor quality of fuel ?
Old 19th September 2018, 12:35   #10791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly the same question I have, since Conti injectors are known to have problems and the same could repeat again. On the other hand, injector calibration is a complicated and I am not sure if they can just replace Conti with Bosch without too much re-calibration.

Owners who have had injectors replaced, can you tell us more ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
On another note, I recently sold my 2013 Figo aka Bluey. She had done 70k km in 5 years and was in top notch condition when I sold her. Replaced only due to the upgrade itch .

Since the car was TN registered, used this opportunity to drive her down from Pune and throughly enjoyed the drive.

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_20180815_14424001.jpeg
En-route Pune to Chennai

Got a good price for the Figo and brought home the new Ecosport S!

This is Bluey just a few minutes before she was handed over to the new owner!
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_20180818_14110801.jpeg

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_20180818_14111801.jpeg

Bluey's big sister. Introducing Paprika!
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_20180905_18050001.jpeg

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 19th September 2018 at 12:50.
fiat_tarun is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 12:39   #10792
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Nice to read that you got the car back up and in pristine condition.
How much has it run?

But how confident were they that the issue was due to poor quality of fuel ?
Car has run 82k in total, and after this incident has run about 250 kms.

1. The water component in the diesel filter removed in front of me on the highway was 50/50.

2. Prior to that the diesel water warning lamp came on and the car began jerking, i continued to push on with the hope of atleast reaching salem.

3. All this happened 150kms after i had tanked up at a new essar bunk.

4. After we drained the diesel out of the fuel tank, the smell of diesel was very faint, it was not over powering my nose at all. I know diesel fumes are quite strong.

Why do you ask?

I think it makes sense to open and inspect the fuel filter every 10k regardless of what the stupid manual says.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 12:43   #10793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Why do you ask?

I think it makes sense to open and inspect the fuel filter every 10k regardless of what the stupid manual says.
My experience was completely different hence asked for more details.
Believe your case seems to be a pure diesel contamination issue.

VW were never able to provide any reason as to why the injectors went bad apart from telling that it was low quality diesel.

There was no water present in the diesel but they were keen to point fingers at the bunk

Only after a detailed analysis courtesy google, did i get to know that the Jetta 2.0 TDI Engines had a known issue with injectors going kaput
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 12:44   #10794
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. From what I've read, that is true.

That brings me to another question that I have.
Considering I was quoted 34K by FASS for replacing two injectors, it must be Continental again.

The new one sourced by the garage was also Continental.

My understanding is that it's the new engine line up - 1.5 L in the Ecosport, Fiesta new Figo and Aspire has Bosch. Though a few people claim the facelift Figo itself has Bosch.

Again the 9500 I mentioned is the cost of Bosch injectors for the 1.3 Multi jet diesel.

Can anyone with a facelifted Figo 2012 end - 2014 confirm of the injector is Bosch or Continental?

Water in fuel can cause injector issues. But mine was on the death bed for long. I could create a black smoke cloud before easily. Now, the black smoke comes out only in strong acceleration and has reduced a lot. In fact the car was on a tank full of Shell Diesel when the issue cropped up.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 19th September 2018 at 12:55.
Ragavsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 12:57   #10795
BHPian

Quote:

Since the car was TN registered, used this opportunity to drive her down from Pune and throughly enjoyed the drive.

Wow! I also had driven down in my Figo from Mumbai-Chennai when I was moving, and I thoroughly enjoyed the drive too! The Figo really does manage to hold its own on the highway, that too at pretty decent three-digit speeds. Solid car, solid handling and ride quality.

Congrats on the Ecosport! Really like the colour!

Quote:
Considering I was quoted 34K by FASS for replacing two injectors, it must be Continental again.

The new one sourced by the garage was also Continental.

My understanding is that it's the new engine line up - 1.5 L in the Ecosport, Fiesta new Figo and Aspire has Bosch. Though a few people claim the facelift Figo itself has Bosch.
Hmm, you might be right. Since if the Bosch and Continental are not the same, the Head might need changes too right? which I dont think was the case.
Quote:
Can anyone with a facelifted Figo 2012 end - 2014 confirm of the injector is Bosch or Continental?
This really is the question of the hour!
Quote:
Again the 9500 I mentioned is the cost of Bosch injectors for the 1.3 Multi jet diesel.
Ohh, my bad. I assumed you were talking about Bosch injectors in the figo.
Quote:
Water in fuel can cause injector issues. But mine was on the death bed for long. I could create a black smoke cloud before easily. Now, the black smoke comes out only in strong acceleration and has reduced a lot. In fact the car was on a tank full of Shell Diesel when the issue cropped up.
Isn't too much black smoke a bad sign? My car starts to smoking on aggressive part-throttle(maybe half or 2/3rd throttle) acceleration too. Also Since I almost entirely drive in the city and fill up at a reputable bunk I doubt I should have issues with water in the diesel.

Last edited by Turrrb0 : 19th September 2018 at 13:08.
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 15:04   #10796
BANNED

Quote:
She's not only hot but also as practical as a wife...!!!

That said, Bluey looked really good for her age and usage.

Can you post the price break-up and the discounts you got for the EcoSport?

Also, why not the Nexon?
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 16:12   #10797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

That said, Bluey looked really good for her age and usage.

The Figo aged really well and the whole ownership experience was great barring the gear bush failure which I temporarily fixed with my shoe lace to get home! The constant detailing sessions every 6 odd months, kept her all shining as well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this is not OT on a Figo thread, but it could help other Figo owners also looking at the Ecosport !
Quote:
Can you post the price break-up and the discounts you got for the EcoSport?
The Ecosport S TDCI came to 14L on road with 5 years extended warranty and the 11k TCS which I should get back when filing my next IT return.

The discounts I got were;
  • Free 3rd year warranty as part of corporate discount (~11k)
  • Essential kit - Mats & mudflaps (~6k)
  • 3M underbody coating with 5 yr. warranty (~4k)
  • Insurance on my own. I got a quote of ~24k against 36k from the dealer. I further used my 50% NCB from the Figo and paid 19k for insurance (HDFC Ergo with 0 dep, engine protector & NCB protector)
Further got a little extra cash discount as well since we supply to Ford and know the team, etc.

Quote:
Also, why not the Nexon?
Strangely, I was 90% going to buy a Nexon basis my test drive of a brand new TD car when it was launched, however when I went for another TD recently, the TD car was in a really bad condition and the overall experience wasn't very good. It put the "how will this car age" question into my head. To add fuel to the fire, I had gone for the TD in a friends new Ecosport which in direct comparison felt so much more premium and better put together. The extra kit in the Ecosport also more than justifies it's price I think, especially the safety bits.

I had the budget for the Titanium +, but made the stretch for the S for the drool worthy alloys and the black treatment without any chrome whatsoever ! The 'fun roof' & proper MID screen was the icing on the cake.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 19th September 2018 at 16:18.
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 23:09   #10798
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't too much black smoke a bad sign? My car starts to smoking on aggressive part-throttle(maybe half or 2/3rd throttle) acceleration too.
My car was pretty much the same. Too much smoke means fuel is only partially burnt and hence lower than normal FE.

Quote:
On another note, I recently sold my 2013 Figo aka Bluey. She had done 70k km in 5 years and was in top notch condition when I sold her. Replaced only due to the upgrade itch .

Attachment 1800079
Thought of buying your Figo as a secondary car but decided against buying anything for the time being.

Congrats on the Ecosport. The red is stunning.

While its loaded with features like sunroof, 6 airbags , 14 lakh is bit too much for a sub 4M vehicle. My god, car prices have kept up like anything.

I remember the Ecosport launching at 5.5 L in 2013. My mind seems to associate it only as a 8-10 L vehicle at max . Even the Titanium + seemed to sell for 9.xx for a while.

Did you consider alternatives like Creta, XUV or even a Corolla / Octavia?
Old 19th September 2018, 23:43   #10799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

While its loaded with features like sunroof, 6 airbags , 14 lakh is bit too much for a sub 4M vehicle. My god, car prices have kept up like anything.
Did you consider alternatives like Creta, XUV or even a Corolla / Octavia?
Haha, tell me about it. I took about 6 months thinking about which car appealed to me enough. It had to be a fun to drive car and rear seat space was the last priority for me. Surprisingly, the Figo is a very hard car to replace from a FTD perspective upto 15L on road apart from maybe the new Figo / Freestyle which are pretty good cars.

I wanted only new, so XUV, Corolla & Octavia weren't even considered. Only the Creta 1.4L diesel would have fit this budget and it's equipment levels are almost on par with the Figo from 2013 and this is ignoring the fact that it isn't very engaging to drive. The Polo GT was also considered but I feel it's too old a car to be buying new now and an all new one will launch in 2020. It was honestly between the Nexon, S Cross and Ecosport.

Do sit in the cabin of the new Ecosport. Ford have taken the experience to the next level and it feels very premium. Except for the handling compared to the good old Figo, the Ecosport feels like a proper upgrade.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 15:26   #10800
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Going by so many horror stories, is it a good idea to keep that part in stock in the boot of the Figo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arif_ford View Post
This is a common issue with the 1st gen Figo and Fiesta Classic. Its good to get the bush checked regularly.
I have faced this same issue few years back. I complained and escalated to Ford India to include it as part of their regular service. Have updated in this thread as well.

Note: Once I tied the gear shift lever with a plastic thread and drove 70kms to reach the service center.
Quote:
Goddamn.

Fuel filter opened and we unloaded the innarda into a bottle to see half diesel and half water. Cleaned it and put it back and the car still refuses to start. Finally flat bed trucked the car to Golden ford in Salem and the car awaits analysis tomorrow.

I have read some etios liva threads here of folks having driven their cars after the warning comes up, 50kms or more.
Tough day. But safe.
Quote:
As an update.
We drained all the diesel. Cleaned the fuel lines with compressed air. Tried to start the car again and no dice. Diagnostics show no errors. Installed a new filter as well.

Now they want to check the diesel pump, common rail, and the injectors by swapping the parts with a demo car. Unfortunately i need to get back to bangalore, i cannot hole myself indefinitely at salem to watch what is going on (my bp shoots if i see the guy working on the car disappear for a few minutes).

Any pointers?
I filled 20 Litres of diesel in a fuel station at the outskirts of Kanchipuram (Kanchipuram - Chengalpet road) last Friday night. Before filling the DTE reading was showing 80kms. Reached home at 1.30 am without any problem.

The next day the engine automatically switched off near IIT bridge. Started pumping the feed pump as I suspected air lock. Luckily it started and reached home without any problem.

On Tuesday night, started the car and When I got down to close the apartment gate, the engine switched off after running for few minutes (Engine did not even attain the optimum temperature). Engine did not start after many attempts.

Eureka Ford is not in operation now and hence called a local technician. They tried to start with spraying petrol on the engine manifold (not a good practice). Engine started and after 10 min, it stopped again. The technician listed two reasons.

1. Poor quality of diesel
2. CKP sensor issue

They have taken the car now. Waiting for their update. It seems to be true that some of the brands cannot guarantee long term reliability of their cars.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks