Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2021, 20:50   #10996

Re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
1. Wear and tear costs to be looked at for 60k kms. I'm aware clutch and timing belts generally wear at this mileage and can be a sizable amount to replace. Any other surprises I should be looking at?

2. Recommended service points in the Hinjewadi/Pimpri area. Will Ford SVC be reliable? Any recommended FNGs in the region for Figos.

3. Purely from a tractability and fun to drive aspect, Diesel or Petrol?
Not sure If you are still looking for Figo, Here is my advice.

1)Surprises- Injectors, suspension and steering rack assembly. Some owners had problems with the AC system as well.
2) Recommendation(although it is my personal experience)- Dhone Ford (Hadapsar). Ford SVC near Hinjewadi closed several years ago. If you need, I can provide contact for trusted FNG.
3) Diesel Figo will make you smile on the highway.

Note: Please have OBD scan before purchase.
Nature&Me is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 13:34   #10997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlQuazi View Post
1. Wear and tear costs to be looked at for 60k kms. I'm aware clutch and timing belts generally wear at this mileage and can be a sizable amount to replace. Any other surprises I should be looking at?

3. Purely from a tractability and fun to drive aspect, Diesel or Petrol?
The diesel is miles ahead in tractability and driveability.
Second, I would be skeptical of any 10 year old diesel car run only 60-70k KMs. Of course, there are rare specimens like my family friend's Santro which has been used for only 9k kms in 13 years out of which I drove it for 1000kms in a month.

Most dealers will clock the Odo's and don't believe any car which doesn't have continuous service history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature&Me View Post
Not sure If you are still looking for Figo, Here is my advice.

1)Surprises- Injectors, suspension and steering rack assembly. Some owners had problems with the AC system as well.

Note: Please have OBD scan before purchase.
OBD scan will reveal the problem only if the injectors are 100% gone which either way would be known by the turbocharger refusing to work . Car won't cross 2k rpm. Plus error lights would glow on the dashboard.

I would advice you to skip the Figo. Numerous issues over my 6 year ownership. All 4 doors rusted and replaced and again rusted. 2 injectors dead. Suspension , steering aand AC work is fine as it happens in all cars beyond certain mileage.
Ragavsr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 08:44   #10998
BHPian

My car which has run 121K been making a humming noise of late and felt unsteady at high speeds. It was a loud humming at higher speeds. Took to ASC. The technician duly made a test drive. He immediately recognized the sound and told me the bearings have gone. Back at ASC, car was put on ramps and did a detailed check by rotating tires and there was a good amount of play for rear wheels and advised bearing change. Quoted 2300 per piece plus labor, but due to Easter weekend and possibility of delay, advised me to come next week for changing. Immediately called my trusted FNG and they confirmed they can get it done in 1 hour. Took the car there and got the two rear bearings changed as promised in 1 hour. Per bearing cost came to 2075 and total amount including labor was 4800.
ask_017 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 04:48   #10999
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Sold off our 10.5 year old Figo 1.2 Duratec Petrol Titanium after running it 37,780 km. The car served us well during this period.

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_9543.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_9542.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_9541.jpg

The build quality was really tough.
The engine was anemic.
The GC was an issue sometimes.
The car offered good amount of space.
Had an exceptionally good AC unit.
Good dynamics and handling.

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-3.jpg

Never faced any breakdowns except for the AC evaporator core (cooling coil) which was replaced before selling it off in exchange to Hyundai (H-Promise
used car dept.) from where we bought it's replacement.
Tgo is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 21:24   #11000
Senior - BHPian

Figo owners---my daughter had a funny incident yesterday when she took out the car for shopping. It was drizzling and she lowered the driver's glass to speak to me soon after exiting the front gate. The darned window glass was not going up again!

We tried several times without luck. The passgener window was going up and down fine, but there was somthing jinxed with the switch of the driver's window. I told her to restart the car, but it was of no use. The battery of the car was changed only 2 years ago, and everything is working fine.

I suggested she drive for a km and try again. And when she did that, voila, it started working!

I have asked her not to lower it again till we have it examined. I have not found time to go to FASS, but did any of you have such a weird experience? Could droplets of rainwater have caused the issue?
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 09:13   #11001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I have asked her not to lower it again till we have it examined. I have not found time to go to FASS, but did any of you have such a weird experience? Could droplets of rainwater have caused the issue?
I have had that experience, mostly during running. And yeah, like your case, got automatically cleared. Fortunately, it has not happened in the past couple of years. And it has never happened while raining. I now realize I never mentioned this to the service center, forgetfulness.
ask_017 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 09:40   #11002
BHPian

Quote:
did any of you have such a weird experience? Could droplets of rainwater have caused the issue?
Happened to me exactly 1 time, few years ago, and if I remember correctly, there was no rain. It was the passenger side window. It started working again, when I turned the engine back on, after switching it off. I planned to mention it to the service center if it happened again, seeing your post, reminded me now.
dragntailonfire is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 09:41   #11003
BHPian

Quote:
............ she lowered the driver's glass to speak to me soon after exiting the front gate. The darned window glass was not going up again!
did any of you have such a weird experience? Could droplets of rainwater have caused the issue?
Happened quite a few times for me.. with the driver side window glass. Mostly happened when the car was not on flat surface and when either the left or right side of the car was on an incline.
sara.ramli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 11:56   #11004
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all, I drove the Figo yesterday and the glass was rolling fine. Could be a one-off case, like with most of you.
Old 3rd August 2021, 12:42   #11005
BHPian

Hello.

My 10.5 year old figo has had its first major failure. AC stopped cooling and the issue was diagnosed to a leaking/ failing evaporator coil by a reputed FNG. They did check the condenser, all the other lines for leaks but couldn't find any and hence zeroed on to the evaporator coil as they have had past experiences with the likely possible culprit.

They have quoted 8.8k for the entire job with coil cost around 4k and labor and AC gas cost for another 4.8k

I checked the cost of the AC evaporator coil on boodmo and im getting one for 3k with shipping. Just wanted to know from previous owners who have replaced their coils if they could share the part number of the evaporator coil. If it matches with Boodmo then i can buy it myself and hand it over to the FNG.
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-figo-evaporator-coil.jpg

thank you.
Old 5th August 2021, 21:17   #11006
BHPian

Okay then, it’s time for a short and nutty tale about the Figo. I went for a wheel alignment and balancing yesterday, and I saw that the technician was struggling to remove some of the wheel nuts with an impact wrench. He eventually affixed a caliper (No idea why a caliper, and, forgot to ask as well), with a nut key?, and finally managed to loosen it.
I was told that this is a regular problem with all Ford cars with alloys, like the Ecosport, Fiesta etc. The nut has a metal covering that eventually gets torn away, making it virtually impossible to screw it back on. I saw a few such specimen, and it was not a pretty look.

The spotty nuts, still attached to the wheel:
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20210804_150035.jpg

Nuts completely removed and put in a box:
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20210805_161948.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20210805_162002.jpg

He convinced me to go for a different model, that comes with its own key, which can be easily attached to an impact wrench. Also, it was completely hollow. I gave the go ahead and he started fitting the nuts, one wheel at a time, after balancing was done.

The new nuts, attached to the wheel:
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20210804_150118.jpg

I was enjoying the new look on the wheel, when the technician told me 2 of the nuts were defective in that lot, and that they will go and get similar nuts from a nearby shop. I agreed to wait, and the alignment was done in the meantime.

Eventually the guys who went in search of the nuts returned, with not 2, but a whole new set of nuts. They were unable to secure similar spec nuts and came back with a completely different set. This one also had a key to attach but was fully covered. All the 1st replacement nuts were, again, duly replaced with the latest nuts and finally it was time to go home. It was at this point the guy reminded me that, the wrench I had till now, will be useless, and I will have to get a new one to go with the new key.

The key that goes with the nuts:
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20210804_201323.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20210804_201349.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20210804_201403.jpg

He showed me the Wrench model that I can go for:
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20210804_160008.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20210804_160012.jpg

Went to one of the oldest and best hardware stores in Trivandrum, and got this guy instead:
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20210805_122257.jpg

This are the nuts that were finally attached to the wheel:
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20210805_122238.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20210805_122245.jpg

Key attached to a nut on wheel:
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20210805_122305.jpg

Finally, the new wrench, attached to the key, attached to a nut:
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20210805_122321.jpg

I am left with a few questions at the end of all this:
Is this a fate shared by all fellow Ford owners?
Were the nuts in my car destroyed, due to incorrect usage of impact wrenches done previously?
Was there enough damage done to justify changing all the original nuts?

Overall, this costed me Rs.1600 for the nuts, Rs.250 for the new Wrench and Rs.900 for the balancing and alignment.
dragntailonfire is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 18:58   #11007
HTC
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quick update on my 2011 - Figo TDCI.

Odo stands at 1.14 lakh. Recently facing battery issues . Intermittently the car refuses to start. Sometimes the first crank used to be a long one.This has happened two or three times so far. I thought this is because of sparse use of car during lockdown. But after using the car for 50-60 kms over the weekend, the battery died again. Had to jump start to reach back home. Today, I took the car to the battery shop. Upon inspection, they informed me that the battery is fine, but it is not getting charged while running. On raising the throttle, the output needs to be 14+ amps, but it is at 12 amps. I will take the car to Ford service and get the alternator checked. Looking at 10k damage if alternator has gone kaput.

Meanwhile, I saw some droppings on the coolant container. Attaching the pic here. Hope they were from a visiting mouse and not a permanent resident in my engine bay. Need to check for wiring as well now. Apart from this, still get a smile when I drive my Figo around and this old lady never ceases to amaze me with her VFM quotient.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-20210811_114218.jpg  

Last edited by HTC : 11th August 2021 at 19:00. Reason: grammar
Old 13th August 2021, 22:08   #11008
BHPian

Got the air filter and ac cabin filter cleaned last week.

After putting back the ac filter, the AC is not blowing cold air unlike how it used to / should. I did not bother to check it then itself, as it was just a simple task. But yesterday, when I went for a long trip and needed AC, I realised the issue.

What could be the reason? What can I check myself before heading back to the garage once again?

Thanks.
Old 24th August 2021, 18:17   #11009
BHPian

Got the first fuel injector replacement done today at 80800 Km (2011 TDCI). Usage for the last 1.5 years was around 5000 Km only due to covid. Cost was Rs 15988. They claim it is after 20% discount on injector price.

Have anyone replaced injector of figo/fiesta classic recently. Is this amount normal ?
Old 24th August 2021, 19:36   #11010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
Quick update on my 2011 - Figo TDCI.

Odo stands at 1.14 lakh. Recently facing battery issues . Intermittently the car refuses to start. Sometimes the first crank used to be a long one.This has happened two or three times so far. I thought this is because of sparse use of car during lockdown. But after using the car for 50-60 kms over the weekend, the battery died again. Had to jump start to reach back home. Today, I took the car to the battery shop. Upon inspection, they informed me that the battery is fine, but it is not getting charged while running. On raising the throttle, the output needs to be 14+ amps, but it is at 12 amps. I will take the car to Ford service and get the alternator checked. Looking at 10k damage if alternator has gone kaput.
I had battery charging issue in my 2011 Figo last year and the alternator is changed. The cost is less than 5K (don't remember the exact amount). I have done this work in a FNG near my house.

Most Viewed