Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2010, 23:06   #16
BHPian

thanks malgudi,
well , the main reason i bought i20 crdi (1.4, crystal white, magna) was ( i think i am repeating myself here !) that i wanted a deluxe/premium quick diesel hatch which could turn heads ! I was really cheesed off my Indica(lookwise) ( NO OFFENSE MEANT WHATSOEVER !) If anybody can suggest any other car ... well then i'll be da##ed !

The car has satisfied me in most aspects.

PART 1 : LOOKS

the car does stand out and stands apart from swift(it's closest competitor). Although the head turning has now stopped, ever since the petrol i20s descended on the roads in large numbers, it still is rare enough at parties and weddings and parking lots to get that extra look !. Getting out from the back of a chauffeur driven i20 gets the same glances as bigger cars !

EXTERIORS : looks are so European that they cannot become commonplace anytime soon. The headlamps and taillights are good, placement of antenna enhances the looks, curves on the sides are a delight, black strip below the sideview mirrors are a subtle touch. I have got roof rails attached which have given a very sporty-sleek look to it.( see pics in my thread). Just seen 1 more i20 with roof rails till now.
The not so good things(lookswise): the dulling of the taillight glass has occured faster then expected(it usually takes longer) resulting in slight dulling of the initial sparkle of the rear light/brake lights( am i being too finicky?). The big pain is the front rubber strip below the bumper which scrapes EVERY GODFORSAKEN bump/hump/ protrusion/upslope. The car is so silent that i hear every scrape that it goes through and believe me it touches EVERY one of them. This is more than in other cars because my bumper has been broken by an errant scooter wala (refer my pics again) resulting in dangling down of the rubber strip a wee bit further than normal.
A lot of dust collects in the groove between the rear glass and margins (because of the incurving design which give the sexy curvy look to i20) but then again this is nitpicking !. Cloth or finger does not reach the dust so it has to be blown out !.
On the rear wheel arch near the door, there is a small white sticker like thing (i dont know for what purpose?) which has yellowed slightly maikng it stand out from the rest of the body a little bit.

Lastly maintaining a white car in all it's beauty IS a slight pain !!
Old 9th June 2010, 08:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

The i20 is a very good looking car. Take the high quality interiors into account and it does feel like a very plush and upmarket car.

You've chosen well, and it fits your requirements perfectly.
Old 16th June 2010, 23:08   #18
BHPian

Great read!
185/70R14 tyres did wonders for the i20 GC, and like described in my thread, the speedo is dead right when checked with a Garmin GPS
Old 20th July 2010, 16:11   #19
BHPian

10k Update for the i20 and a 65k update of the Swift

Well guys I hope I have helped people decide on a car they would prefer to ride.

I see that the i20 diesel is very much talked about in the posts, but I beg to differ with most of them. My points of arguments are as follows :-

1. Hyundai does make decent CRDi engines but none of them have really clicked in the Indian Market (Accent, Getz, Sonata, Tuscon, Terracan & now i20)

2. Hyundai overprices the diesels. The cost of an i20 diesel can get you a Swift Dzire so I guess again VFM is not very high.

3. The petrol engines of Hyundai are tried and tested and are of good quality. I dont feel paying that additional lakh and a half would be economical enough.

But these are just my views cause my own brother has gone and bought a i20 diesel Asta (8lac+ Nuts) despite me advising him against it. I guess I may be wrong but my reasons are valid.

Now for the update on my two cars:

The Swift Vdi has done 65,000kms now in 2 1/2 years, which as per me is a bit of heavy driving but being interior contractors we need to travel quite a lot everyday. But the surprising thing is that i still long to drive the car every single day. The 1.3l engine is a gift from god to the designers from Fiat - the engine is as good as it was the day the car arrived. I wish Maruti could build the body to the same standards as their engine. The car has started to make lot of noises from the body which need tightining every 4-5k kms now. The clutch has started to show first signs of wear now and think wont last more than 5-10k kms. There is ample play in the pedal and a new driver takes time to adjust. I changed the tyre to Yokohama 195/R14 tyres and the whole game changed. the factory fitted tyres lasted for 45k kms but after that were a bit of a bother in the rains so dumped them for the Yoko's. These tyres have given the car a new dimension and my wife a scare as I drive even more fast now. Other than body rattling I dont have any issues with the factory fitted car. I mean the HID lights I opted for are bothering me as they get fused every 2 months and I have agreed to bear them till they are in warranty for another 6 months.

The i20 petrol (Asta) on the other hand is the best city drive car you can gift your parents. We are so happy with the car. the first 2 services have only costed us Rs. 430 & Rs. 810 respectively. The fuel filter for the diesel costs more ! the only problem I faced was for noise from the steering column (which as per the mechanics is a regular problem with the i20) and the tyre noise in the cabin with the windows rolled down. I dont know or understand y are the tyres making so much noise I had them cleaned for stones or oil patches had them rotated so as see if only 1 tyre made noise but no the problem still persists. I dunno if it is the tyres or the bearings are making the noise as the service shop says it is Normal. Well the average of the car was supposed to go up after the 10k service as per Hyundai but there has not been much improvement in this area and has gone up marginally from 8-9 in city to 9-10.

Thus I feel that the cars apart from their small problems are doing fine and hope they continue with the same for atleast another year before I try to replace one of them.

Cheers
Old 21st July 2010, 17:12   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pace in Blood View Post
Hyundai does make decent CRDi engines but none of them have really clicked in the Indian Market (Accent, Getz, Sonata, Tuscon, Terracan & now i20)
That's only the half-truth. The Accent & Verna CRDIs have done respectably well in the market. The Getz CRDI was only introduced as a stop-gap (until the i20 CRDI came around) to keep Hyundai customers within the family. The Sonata, Tucson and Terracan were market duds, irrespective of their engine.

What we shouldn't overlook is the fact that the Santro & i10 form an overwhelming majority of Hyundai's India sales. Neither of them has been offered with a diesel yet. Wait till the i10 is
Old 21st July 2010, 18:12   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That's only the half-truth. The Accent & Verna CRDIs have done respectably well in the market. The Getz CRDI was only introduced as a stop-gap (until the i20 CRDI came around) to keep Hyundai customers within the family. The Sonata, Tucson and Terracan were market duds, irrespective of their engine.

What we shouldn't overlook is the fact that the Santro & i10 form an overwhelming majority of Hyundai's India sales. Neither of them has been offered with a diesel yet. Wait till the i10 is
Hi GTO,

I am not commenting on Hyundai's capability over here but my (and my alones) observation that their Petrol models are sold way more than their Diesel ones.
I took this in comparison to the Diesel variant sales of say the Swift and the Indica/Indigo models or even the Lancer or the Fiesta.
But again I say I may be wrong and it is a very personal view and I have nothing against Hyundai Diesels or their performance, which I have not been able test extensively.
Hope you understand what I am trying to say

Happy driving
Cheers - Tanay
Old 21st July 2010, 20:29   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Well the average of the car was supposed to go up after the 10k service as per Hyundai but there has not been much improvement in this area and has gone up marginally from 8-9 in city to 9-10.

Isnt that quite less for an i20? I've read people consistently mentioning 12-14 kmpl.
Old 17th January 2011, 13:09   #23
BHPian

Re: The i20 Asta vs the Swift VDi (ABS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-hul View Post
Isnt that quite less for an i20? I've read people consistently mentioning 12-14 kmpl.
Sorry for the late reply

But till today my car has not given me a Mileage of 12-14 kmpl but the max i have been able to extract is a 12kmpl on my run to Lavassa last month.

I dont know i have driven 20K kms now but there seems to be a issue with my car or my driving style I am not understanding. The service center claims ALL IS WELL ALL IS WELL. Well I dont really crib about it cause the ride quality in the i20 really makes it worth the expense.

Tanay
Old 17th January 2011, 15:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

Re: The i20 Asta vs the Swift VDi (ABS)

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply

But till today my car has not given me a Mileage of 12-14 kmpl but the max i have been able to extract is a 12kmpl on my run to Lavassa last month.

I dont know i have driven 20K kms now but there seems to be a issue with my car or my driving style I am not understanding. The service center claims ALL IS WELL ALL IS WELL. Well I dont really crib about it cause the ride quality in the i20 really makes it worth the expense.

Tanay
Is the ride quality of the i20 that good ? I have read that the suspension is a little too soft and the car tends to bottom (on its suspension), especially when the car is full. How would you rate the ride quality of the Europeans (Polo & Punto) as these cars are known for their impeccable ride + handling.
Old 18th January 2011, 14:05   #25
BHPian

Re: My first highway drive in the i20

Quote:

The drive which stared with a lot of pride of taking the new car out on its first long drive soon turned a bit sour when I stopped on the way near Matoshree, on JVLR rd to fill gas and to get tyre filled with Nitrogen gas. I was shocked to find out that my tyres including the spare were having a pressure of 45psi as against the company recommended 33psi for a fully loaded car. I had given the car a day earlier for the first service and had complained about tyre noise and hard jumping of the car to the Shreenath Hyundai Workshop at Jogeshwari.
I also experienced a similar problem in my new i20 1.2L Sportz. I have done only 400km and have been driving for only last 20 days. When I checked the pressure for the first time, the OEM tyre was filled with around 43psi. The recommended tyre pressure for nominal load is 30psi so I asked that guy to reduce it to 30. But after that, passenger cabin noise increased drastically.

Even at low speeds upto 30kmph, it was quite audible and got worsen at higher speed. Then in the next visit to the petrol pump, I asked him to pressure it upto 33psi (which is a recommended value for the maximum load). After that the cabin noise has reduced significantly, but not as quite as it used to be when i drove it from the showroom to my house.

Please share if anybody observed and solved this problem?
If yes, has anybody asked the service guy about this?

I am waiting forward for my first service to report this problem...
Old 27th March 2012, 15:01   #26
BHPian

Re: My first highway drive in the i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorn_i20 View Post
I also experienced a similar problem in my new i20 1.2L Sportz. I have done only 400km and have been driving for only last 20 days. When I checked the pressure for the first time, the OEM tyre was filled with around 43psi. The recommended tyre pressure for nominal load is 30psi so I asked that guy to reduce it to 30. But after that, passenger cabin noise increased drastically.

Even at low speeds upto 30kmph, it was quite audible and got worsen at higher speed. Then in the next visit to the petrol pump, I asked him to pressure it upto 33psi (which is a recommended value for the maximum load). After that the cabin noise has reduced significantly, but not as quite as it used to be when i drove it from the showroom to my house.

Please share if anybody observed and solved this problem?
If yes, has anybody asked the service guy about this?

I am waiting forward for my first service to report this problem...
I bought an i20 2 months ago and during the first few weeks, the cabin noise was very feeble. Suddenly I could hear noise level going up inside the cabin. I tried both 30 and 33 psi but somehow I still experience the noise. But after first service that was done last week, it looks like the noise has come down. But I believe it will crop up again. Did you get to know what the problem was and any solution to that?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks