Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2010, 06:51   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks real good. So now more off road excursions in offing?
Old 22nd September 2010, 09:54   #32
BHPian

Thanks Sudev. Don't have any off roading planned. Though hopefully will do a couple of Long trips soon. While I might not shy away from some no-road situautions, don't have the heart to take a GV through the Jeep trails!

(I have gone through your Trailblazer threads - they look very interesting. So may be next time I'm in NCR!)
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:58   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Give me a bit of warning and sure we should do some action. Perhaps Samurai San can join in too!!

In the meanwhile I had to drop out of recce trip for Desert Storm 2011 but my GV is enjoying traversing sands around Barmer Welcome to Facebook
Old 24th November 2010, 13:36   #34
BHPian

20000 service

Got the 20k service done yesterday. Rs. 6,304 for oil and labour.

I hadn't had to open the hood in a while, so was shocked to see that the silencer pad under the hood was peeling off (pic below). SA had no clue why. Have ordered the part (Rs. 3,300, takes 15 days to come) and dealer is talking to MSIL to replace under warranty. (MSIL's first reaction was 'No' - according to them it is a 'cosmetic part'!)

I'm still very happy with the car. Don't crib about long gear throws anymore, must've gotten used to it. Love the car-like handling, suspension, stability at high speeds, that I'm not tired after long drives etc.

The only irritant is the lack of torque at low RPM's. Sometimes I have to fight hard not to half-clutch (*) in 2nd gear at < 2000 RPM. May be it's on my mind more after I recently started driving a friend's Fortuner, with its impressive torquey engine.. Anyway, nothing I can do about it. Can't have everything, right?

(*) - I used to abuse the clutch in my Palio a lot. Riding, slipping the clutch, all the time. Paid very heavy prices too - got stranded thrice on long trips because of clutch failures. So now I'm extremely paranoid with the GV clutch. (still have the Palio to get a release!)
Attached Thumbnails
Grand Vitara 2.4-img_0062.jpg  

Old 24th November 2010, 15:13   #35
BHPian

Sir, please fix an LCD head unit in place of that old looking stereo head unit that you have fixed right now. It seems out of place in an otherwise neat (if not very attractive) GV dashboard.
The skid plate looks real neat though i suspect the ground clearance might have reduced and the additional weight might hamper your acceleration/fuel efficiency figures. (just my stupid thought.)
Old 24th November 2010, 17:16   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveoman19 View Post
The skid plate looks real neat though i suspect the ground clearance might have reduced and the additional weight might hamper
Thanks aveoman19. I haven't noticed any change in power/fuel efficiency. Of course, not measured a before/after, but there is no perceptible difference. The whole plate set actually was pretty light. I could carry it around in packed form, so probably not more than 20kg?

GC - again, all I can I say is that it doesn't look like there is much difference. Sorry for being of no help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveoman19 View Post
please fix an LCD head unit in place of that old looking stereo head unit
Yep, it is old. 10 years, and in its 3rd car. It was cutting edge when it came out. Still does some cool things I think. But mostly I guess I'm just lazy to change!
Old 24th November 2010, 17:29   #37
Senior - BHPian

Seems you are enjoying your GV :-) Did you do any more long trips e.g. Bnlgr - Delhi?

The skid plates look nice - where did you get them from? I am thinking of installing something similar on my Fortuner.
Old 24th November 2010, 20:50   #38
BHPian

Thanks Nilanjan, so far so good. Bought the skid plates online from RASTA4X4. Don't see Fortuner listed there, but I remember them as very customer friendly. You could write to them and check. It will be expensive - with 25% duty, 4x times than fabricating it locally. But you save time and iterations.

No recent long trips, startup life is tough! Next long drive would be Desert Storm '11, that should be fun..
Old 24th November 2010, 21:03   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonk View Post
Next long drive would be Desert Storm '11, that should be fun..
Just went through some recce in my GV - Jaisalmer & Bikaner area. Very long sections are going to be order of the day!!
Old 24th November 2010, 21:16   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Very long sections
Awesome!

Now that you're here, any thoughts on why the pad under the hood could be peeling out so fast? Have you seen anything like this..?

Also, I was thinking of putting rally lights, but without getting a nudge/bull guard. At the service, I got them to open the grill and saw that there is a part of chassis that is just behind the grill where I can clamp lights. Have you seen any GV fit lights like this? I thought I had seen a Swift here with Lightforce mounted so, but not able to find now..
Old 25th November 2010, 09:42   #41
Senior - BHPian

I saw the same hood peel in a 2.0 GV that I test drove some months back. Maybe it is the material they use - perhaps not suitable for Bangalore weather.
Old 25th November 2010, 10:40   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonk View Post
...any thoughts on why the pad under the hood could be peeling out so fast? Have you seen anything like this..?
Yes. The same has happened to my GV but have not changed the lining for last two years. The SA at Motorcraft told me that this is because of battery gases??!! But I do not think so as the new sealed and maint free battery has also not helped. Will post a pic.

Quote:
..was thinking of putting rally lights, but without getting a nudge/bull guard. At the service, I got them to open the grill and saw that there is a part of chassis that is just behind the grill where I can clamp lights. Have you seen any GV fit lights like this? I thought I had seen a Swift here with Lightforce mounted so, but not able to find now..
Never have felt the need to rally lights with GV. If at all you need rally spread light to help cover the extreme turning manoeuvres.
Old 25th November 2010, 12:37   #43
BHPian

Thanks Nilanjan and Sudev. Let's see what MSIL says..
Old 25th November 2010, 12:44   #44
Team-BHP Support

Even my GV bonnet lining has peeled off over years. I just cleared the hanging parts and left it alone.
Old 25th November 2010, 13:12   #45
BHPian

looking at the enthusiasm from you guy s even i am tempted to buy the GV belonging to one of my neighbour s which has hardly done 3800 km s in last 2.5 yr s it s golden color the guy is a 54 yr old hardcore maruti fanatic hence bought the golden vitara and hardly uses it although he has never intended to sell it off i am sure he will part with it !!
it s a manual and scratchless !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks