Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2010, 00:45   #16
BHPian

Dear all,
I know that it is not possible to upgrade ABS and airbags on my E8 but i wish it could be done. I am taking a trip this weekend and intend to cross my first 1000km. I will post pictures and review about the trip once i am back. See you all in a bit.
Old 5th February 2010, 10:26   #17
J.Ravi

drrajasaravanan,

Congratulations and best wishes on becoming a proud owner of Mahindra Xylo E8.

I was toying with the idea of going in for this superb VFM vehicle. In fact, I had test driven Xylo E8 version soon after its launch at India Garage, Anna Salai, Chennai. When I was about to book, Fiat Linea was launched. After three test drives, I decided in favour of Fiat Linea, another VFM in another segment.

I have driven Toyota Innova extensively in Goa. But, I liked Xylo over Innova.

Old 12th February 2010, 17:27   #18
BHPian

Hey doc...Enough looking at the patients
What about the pics??

Regards
Old 18th February 2010, 17:27   #19
BHPian

Congratulations on the purchase Doc, hope you have a great trip, take snaps of the place exactly when you cross your 1000 mark.

looking forward to pics and more
Old 20th February 2010, 22:08   #20
BHPian

2000km Update

Hi all,
I have clocked around 1972km till now on my new xylo and i guess i calls for an update on my posts. I am going to divide the post into three sub headings. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.
The Good :
1. Space is excellent and awesome. The third row seating comfort is out of this world.
2. Driver seating is great and gives a great view of the road. You can make a business class seating arrangement of the first and second row of seat and is great on long drives.
3. Air conditioning is a chiller and suites the chennai climate well.
4. Handling the vehicle is easy and the response is great. Travelling inside city is not a pain in the neck.
5. Gear shift is not as hard as i presumed
6. Clutch is not hard and the accelerator is smooth and responsive. Xylo shoots up to 80kms easily and since i have to stick to 2500rpm limit i am not able to push it further.
7. The mileage i got is around 12 km/l.
8. The reverse sensors, rear view mirrors (electrically adjustable) and Digital drive assist system makes your life easier.
9. Wonderful shock absorbers. Xylo just glides over rough roads.

The Bad :
1. Music system that came preinstalled with the vehicle is absolutely no good. I had installed two Sony ovals. Though the sound quality is great and pleasant its still not enough for a vehilce of this size. I am planning to add amplifier and sub woofer.
2. Vibrations. You can feel the vibration of the engine on your gear shaft mainly. I am not comfortable with it.
3. When you start the vehicle it starts with a shudder and till you start moving it sort of grumbles. But once you reach 40kms or 1500rpm it becomes smooth.
4. The glove box light sometimes does not switch off and i have to open and shut it one more time.
5. The box below the driver seat sometimes gets stuck and does not come out easily.

The Ugly:
1. Xylo is not apt for making sudden turns or sudden breaks. ABS option should be considered strongly for future buyers. I still regret not taking it.
2. The belt in the engine assembly started making weird noise and i had taken it to the service station. India garage people changed it immediately. I was told that some vehicles came fitted with this belt which was missed during quality check and as and when the vehicles come in for service its being changed. Of course after changing it the weird noises stopped.
3. The USB and AUX input option in the music player does not work.

Well thats about it. If i have missed out anything i will come back and add it up in my next post. Sorry about the pictures. I intend to post it tomorrow.
I had taken couple of trips with my family to Tirupathi, Mahabalipuram, Pondy and Salem and travelling in Xylo is comfortable. There is much more to it than what meets the eye. Though there are inadequacies i am happy with the vehicle and am enjoying it.

Cheers guys.
Old 21st February 2010, 03:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hi Doc,

Congrats on your xylo and nice review! The xylo is a totally great vfm vehicle compared to the innova. If only it didn't have the funny chrome grill!

Glad to know you're enjoying the ride and do post the pics!

cheers!
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:51   #22
BHPian

hi
Just completed 2000kms and had the first minor accident. An old man pushing a tricycle cart lost control and rammed into my car while i was cruising at 60kms per hour. Fortunately i did not ram into the cart as it would have meant disaster, not for the car but for the cart and dealing with the public will be really difficult. I stopped the car and got down. Though i wanted to rip the old man's cart into pieces i felt sorry for him. Well he did shout at me for ramming into his cart and how the world has gone bizare with people not respecting senior citizens. I made sure that his cart is not beyond repair and then inspected my car. One feet length scratch marks, 3 in number with two small dents on my left rear door. Well should have the attitude to accept these sort of things when you have idiots running around the roads. Better sense prevailed and i just got into my car and started driving away from the place. I showed it to the service advisor who remarked that most of it will come of but the dent cant be removed fully. Well i dont want to do anything to it now. Will get it done during the first service.
Cheers.
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:32   #23
BHPian

very sorry to hear about the accident doc. isn't it really frustrating when your vehicle is damaged for no fault of yours? anyways hope the damage gets fixed properly at your first service.

regards
rocky
Old 9th September 2010, 21:13   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hi all,
I have clocked around 1972km till now on my new xylo and i guess i calls for an update on my posts. I am going to divide the post into three sub headings. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.
The Good :
1. Space is excellent and awesome. The third row seating comfort is out of this world.
2. Driver seating is great and gives a great view of the road. You can make a business class seating arrangement of the first and second row of seat and is great on long drives.
3. Air conditioning is a chiller and suites the chennai climate well.
4. Handling the vehicle is easy and the response is great. Travelling inside city is not a pain in the neck.
5. Gear shift is not as hard as i presumed
6. Clutch is not hard and the accelerator is smooth and responsive. Xylo shoots up to 80kms easily and since i have to stick to 2500rpm limit i am not able to push it further.
7. The mileage i got is around 12 km/l.
8. The reverse sensors, rear view mirrors (electrically adjustable) and Digital drive assist system makes your life easier.
9. Wonderful shock absorbers. Xylo just glides over rough roads.

4. The glove box light sometimes does not switch off and i have to open and shut it one more time.
5. The box below the driver seat sometimes gets stuck and does not come out easily.

3. The USB and AUX input option in the music player does not work.

Though there are inadequacies i am happy with the vehicle and am enjoying it.

Cheers guys.
Hi Doc
Hope that you are still enjoying your Xylo - as I am
For the glove box light just put a small bit of double sided tape on the lid at the correct place (Keep the top layer of masking on so that it does not stick shut)
Check out the small red tab on the lid in the pic below
Should see it through till the *** can find a permanent solution I hope!!
Hope you got the USB port fixed - I have a fully loaded 2GB flash drive with all my fav music and so feel in heaven on any drive
I am more than satisfied with the quality of my system even though I am choosy about my music found it adequate for the time being
may be an update later in the year
Keep posting with photos
Keep safe and enjoying Xyloing
Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
My first buy - Xylo E8-interiors_page_18.jpg  

Old 24th February 2011, 17:48   #25
BANNED

Re: My first buy - Xylo E8

Its been a while since this thread has been updated. How is the ride quality, handling in the city? Also, you haven't uploaded any pictures. Please post them ASAP!
Old 8th September 2012, 07:30   #26
BHPian

VST motors, Chennai

Hi,
I own a Xylo, E8. Its 2.5 years old with 40 thousand kms on the odometer. I had given it for service and to me the car is running fine. Yes there are those odd creaking noises now and then. The service representative has given me a quotaion of nearly 40 thousand rupees. Regular service which comes to around 16 thousand plus he claims the clutch needs to be replaced ( 12 thousand) and the suspension needs a complete overhaul ( 19 thousand). When i told him i have extended warranty he said clutch will not be covered and the suspension price can be reduced to 8 thousand. I made inquiries outside and i have a feeling i am being fleeced. I have told them to hold the service until i decide. Need your suggestions.
Old 8th September 2012, 09:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

Re: VST motors, Chennai

Quote:
... When i told him i have extended warranty he said clutch will not be covered and the suspension price can be reduced to 8 thousand. I made inquiries outside and i have a feeling i am being fleeced. I have told them to hold the service until i decide. Need your suggestions.
Clutch, brake pads, tires, batteries etc., which are prone to regular wear and tear are normally kept out of the purview of Extended warranty.

Since 40K on the ODO is way too less for a such a major overhaul, it is better to get a second opinion from another service station like India Garage or the like before you commit your money on that. Ask a senior technician to test drive the vehicle with you or your rep without making any reference to the VST visit.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 8th September 2012 at 09:41.
Old 8th September 2012, 09:54   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Regular service which comes to around 16 thousand plus he claims the clutch needs to be replaced ( 12 thousand) and the suspension needs a complete overhaul ( 19 thousand).
What is the Service interval for XYLO. Isn't 16k for regular service on a higher side ?

Does your travel include lots of broken roads ?
Old 8th September 2012, 10:05   #29
MAS
Senior - BHPian

This seems to be a case of genuine fleecing.

How can a 40K service add up to 16K rupees? It is way too high. Even a Ford or a Toyota does not charge this much, unless you have requested for 3M polishing, interior cleaning, etc.,

As suggested by other members, please take a second opinion. You could get in touch with Raghav from IgNite and show you car to him. He will give you a genuine feedback.
Old 8th September 2012, 12:18   #30
Senior - BHPian

Indeed they are fleecing you, Even 16k for a regular service in on higher side. Plus, 40k kms isn't too much for a clutch overhaul and i don't think, Xylo will need a suspension overhaul in just 40k kms.

I suggest you to runaway from them, Change your workshop. Don't get fleeced.

Cheers,
Sameer

Most Viewed