Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2010, 20:55   #1
BHPian

My first buy - Xylo E8

Dear all,
This is my first post.
I have been a visitor to this wonderful website for the last 2 years (right from the moment when I thought about buying a new car) and became a member in the recent past. This website has helped me more in making my decision.
My family wanted to buy a car after selling off the maruti 800 which I had been using for 4 years but lot of other commitment prevented us from going ahead. Since my father had gifted me my first car and the eventual upgrade too I decided to buy the car for the family as a whole.
Started reading reviews and test driving vehicles one after the other for the last year. The budget was fixed at 8 to 10 lakhs and I and my brother decided to chip in. We were looking for a car which we enjoy traveling around in and can take for long drives.
First test drove the hatchbacks - Palio, Ritz, A-star, i10, i20, spark, Vista, Punto, Fabia and Jazz. Except for Jazz and Fabia the remaining cars did not have an edge in comparison to Hyundai Getz which we have been using for the last 3 years. But ruled out Fabia since the company is not so reliable and ruled out jazz as the cost factor was not justified in my perspective. Since we already have a hatchback I saw no point in buying another hatchback.
Then started test driving the sedans. Test drove Honda City, Aveo, Accent, Baleno, Linea, Logan, and Manza. I was impressed with the performance of Baleno but since its being phased out I ruled it out. The cars we narrowed down to were Logan and Manza. With a 60,000 reduction I was impressed to go for Logan. Plus the driving Logan was more fun than Manza. Nothing against Manza. It’s an awesome vehicle and I totally agree with the review of GTO. Just felt Logan was better than manza. But problem was Logan was getting phased out and I could not get the desired model and colour. Had to let it go.
Finally decided to go for the MUV’s and SUV’s. Test drove Scorpio, Safari, Innova and Xylo. Among all I felt Innova is the best but the price factor was a concern. Plus driving Innova inside the city is difficult and I could not park it in our garage comfortably. Required lot of twisting and turning. The 2nd row of seats was more comfortable in Safari and Xylo compared to Scorpio. 3rd row of seats were the best in Xylo. Though the engine of Xylo is not as fine tuned as Innova, I was comfortable driving it. Xylo E8 offered more than Scorpio and Safari at the same price range. So went ahead with it.
I had booked it on December 2009 in India Garage. Took deliver of the vehicle on Jan 18th 2010. Overall the Experience with the Dealer was good. The sales person did not have much idea about the vehicle but did arrange the test drives immediately and helped me with the loan too. Since I got all the information about Xylo from team bhp I did not bother the sales person much.
For a change the loan process went ahead without any trouble and the India garage people coordinated with the bank at every step saving me lot of headache.
I have driven close to 500kms till now and I am enjoying every moment of it. Only mistake I think that I made is that I did not choose the ABS and Airbag version. Since those models were not available and I can get those vehicles only in February I had booked the E8 version. I still feel it’s a mistake but I cannot do anything about it now.
So driving and enjoying every moment of it in my new car Toreador Red Xylo E8.
I intend to keep updating this post as I cover many more miles.
Dr. Raja Saravanan

"Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead"
Old 26th January 2010, 21:06   #2
BHPian

Congratulations, Dr. Raja, Xylo is an excellent choice because of the practicality it offers, enjoy your ride and keep us posted on the ownership experience.
Old 26th January 2010, 22:09   #3
BHPian

congratulations on the new xylo Dr rajasaravanan. You had the option of the ABS even now but the version with airbags will be available only after February as per my knowledge. you should have atleast gone in for the E8 ABS version currently available. Anyways welcome to the Xylo family, i own a diamond white E8 ABS xylo. Happy and safe motoring.

P.S. where are the pictures and what accessories were offered to you?

Regards
Rocky

Last edited by rocky080 : 26th January 2010 at 22:11.
Old 26th January 2010, 23:16   #4
BHPian

Congrats Dr.Raja, how was your first 500kms with vehicle and is there any intial problem that you experienced with Xylo. Also update your accessories list.
Old 27th January 2010, 02:26   #5
BHPian

COngratulations

Dr. Raja Saravanan..Hearty Congratulations on the new buy. The Xylo E8 is definately one of the best in its available price range feature packed with many feel good factors.

Please post some picture of your mighty buy.
Old 27th January 2010, 10:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

I really enjoyed reading your writing. first test drive a hatch, then a sedan and finally end up buying a SUV/MUV

congratulations on new XYLO. You have mentioned that driving Innova in city was little difficult. Now that you are driving XYLO, compared to innova how easy is to drive XYLO in city?
Old 27th January 2010, 17:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the ride doc. Yes, it would have been better had you got the E8 with ABS and Airbags. Nevertheless, enjoy your MUV.
Old 27th January 2010, 22:27   #8
BHPian

Hello everybody,
Beejay : Airbags option will be available only from february. I had the option to get ABS but i could not get the colour of my family's choice. I feel like i had been a bit hasty to have neglected ABS. But i hope mahindra would allow us to upgrade our vehicle.
recshenoy : Innova is far superior to Xylo in the way it responds. Though both the vehicles share the same turning radius of 5.6m i had trouble parking the vehicle in my garage. Plus my family hated the looks of innova. Plus i think the 3rd row legroom is better in xylo.
narchennai : Till now i have driven close to 500 kms and i intend to update at 3000km. Planning on couple of trips in a short time. Will definitely post my experience. I am looking forward to a trouble free ownership. The india garage dealers gave me the usual floor mat, mud flap, car cover, first aid kit, Ganesha idol and perfume. I am yet to shop for accessories. Your suggestion are welcome.
Vista,musicmanaman, rocky080 : Thank you guys.
Will post the photos of my drive shortly.
Old 28th January 2010, 01:09   #9
BHPian

Dr. Raja Saravanan. Thank you for asking. About the accessories I would like to suggest that please go for Sun Films of quality nothing less than a V-kool. You do land up spending a bit more but its worth the expenditure. It helps keep the car cool even in sun and maintains a good ambience inside. I repented opting for cheaper sun films in my previous car. I have just got my Xylo E8 delivered this month and I have got V-kool 70 fitted. If you may want to look at my post please vist the !1New Addition to the Xylo E8 !! thread within this same sub-forum.
Old 28th January 2010, 13:22   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hello everybody,
Beejay : Airbags option will be available only from february. I had the option to get ABS but i could not get the colour of my family's choice. I feel like i had been a bit hasty to have neglected ABS. But i hope mahindra would allow us to upgrade our vehicle.
recshenoy : Innova is far superior to Xylo in the way it responds. Though both the vehicles share the same turning radius of 5.6m i had trouble parking the vehicle in my garage. Plus my family hated the looks of innova. Plus i think the 3rd row legroom is better in xylo.
narchennai : Till now i have driven close to 500 kms and i intend to update at 3000km. Planning on couple of trips in a short time. Will definitely post my experience. I am looking forward to a trouble free ownership. The india garage dealers gave me the usual floor mat, mud flap, car cover, first aid kit, Ganesha idol and perfume. I am yet to shop for accessories. Your suggestion are welcome.
Vista,musicmanaman, rocky080 : Thank you guys.
Will post the photos of my drive shortly.
Hello dr rajasaravanan i don't think it is advisable to retrofit your xylo with the ABS now. As they would have to change a lot of electrical stuff and add sensors in the wheels which would cost a lot and i am not sure whether it can be done in the first place(i may be wrong).anyways drive safe and post pics soon.

regards
rocky
Old 28th January 2010, 13:41   #11
BHPian

Congratulation for your new car.

We are expecting Xylo Pic.
Old 28th January 2010, 13:42   #12
BHPian

Heartiest congratulations Dr Raja for the new Xylo. Enjoy her and drive safe!
Old 28th January 2010, 14:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hello everybody,
That's like close to impossible now. So let it be. Enjoy your ride. Do post some pictures.
Old 28th January 2010, 15:15   #14
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase. This thread needs pics. Please post pics of exterior as well as interiors.

I dont think Mahindra will allow a product upgrade, you although can sell this and buy one with ABS, ofcourse financial dmage is guaranteed, so this option does not fit. Retrofitting ABS would also prove costly, though its worth checking out this option.

Do keep updating with your experiences with Xylo.
Old 28th January 2010, 17:42   #15
BHPian

Hey Doc!!
Congratulations on your own new buy!!
You definitely chose the best over the Innova ...
The pics of your mighty beast are being awaited!!
Regards,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks