Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2010, 18:44   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
You are correct NFS. The CRDe and the MHawk engines provide their best FE at 2000rpm @5th gear without the ac.

I have gotten FE figures of 15.05kmpl at these speeds with Hariya, who has a CRDe heart.
Thnaks Devdath. Good to note that the automatic behaves pretty much like the manual and has a difference of only about 1 kmpl at that range.
Old 17th September 2010, 18:59   #92
BHPian

Ananth- what are the service intervals like? And also could you post interior photographs as well?
Old 18th September 2010, 14:14   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme View Post
Ananth- what are the service intervals like? And also could you post interior photographs as well?
The service intervals are 4 months - 5000kms - should be the same as the manual I believe. Give me a bit of time and I will post interior photos. With 2 kids traveling in it don't expect it to be pretty
Old 29th September 2010, 13:26   #94
BHPian

Thats a beast alright, congrats Ananth! The Scorpio has been this beautiful desi-SUV since it's launch and I feel it has grown better with age now. The Auto transmission is a boon in city traffic and is stress-free.

But I had this doubt in mind regarding your journey to Coonoor. How was the ride when you were climbing the hills (especially the hair-pin bends, did the vehicle give any hiccups) and how did you go about when you were descending the hills? I mean did you engage the "D" when you were descending or the 1/2/3 gears. I am told that you should brake less when you descend so that you don't strain the brake pads (an awful smell is emitted if done so).

Happy mile munching!
Champion!
Old 4th October 2010, 17:43   #95
BHPian

Champion,

The Scorpio AT has an ascent and descent control module so the car doesn't really roll and pick up speed indiscriminately on inclines. The car was perfectly well-behaved. I have slipped it into the M mode a couple of times but for normal hill road that is not necessary at all since one is able to pick speeds to 40-45 kmph and only slows down for the hair-pins. One should use the M mode only when there is a steep straight incline (in my opinion).

When descending I felt I was over using the brakes and felt that there was a smell. I pulled to the side and did a smell-check to find nothing whatever. Then I found it was all the other vehicles (ostensibly manual) that had their brakes smelling - well it was probably the poor overloaded buses.
Old 5th October 2010, 07:22   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@ananth: Are you able to effectively get engine braking with M mode?
Old 19th October 2010, 10:20   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@ananth: Are you able to effectively get engine braking with M mode?
Yes. The M mode works but I don't find it very useful. The reason being that let's us I am driving at 40 and want to use engine breaking and hence slip it into M mode. It holds the gear in the 3rd (that's where one would be at 40). Then, if I slow down for a curve (like a hair-pin) and let's say the speed drops to 20, it downshifts to 2nd gear. Now it holds in the 2nd gear and if ever we drop below 15 and it slips into 1st, it then starts holding in 1st. I have never managed to get it to raise gears in the M mode - I presume it has to go to the redline to upshift and that is too much of an ask. One probably has to move back to D and drive until the right gear has been reached and then slip it back into M, but I have never had the patience to try that.

I much prefer the older style of 3, 2, L where it still changes gears until the specified gear normally but doesn't cross that gear.
Old 19th October 2010, 13:18   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@anath: Thanks for the detailed feed back. I too feel they should have offered either the D32L or the +/- manual shifting override rather than just the M mode. The US spec vehicle actually has the +/- manual upshift downshift modes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks