Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2010, 01:04   #1
BHPian

Got My Chevy Cruze Automatic

I am pretty excited, I will be seeing her face to face for the very first time in the morning. Precisely 9 hrs to go.

The journey so far
I have been looking for a C+ segment car for quite sometime. I started TD cars October 2009, after TD all cars/SUV withing 10-16 lakhs range, come novemeber I had shortlisted on Altis GL, Cruze LTZ and Laura TSI.
I was looking for a car for on an average basis a daily run of 50 Kms on Mumbai roads, my priorities were good looks, gem of an engine, comfort and reliablity. I bought swift 4 years back with the same set of priorities but with limited resources and I have not repented my decision.

Altis GL
Pros
True value for money
Best resale value of all the three competitors
Toyota reliablity
Good instrument level

Cons (personal views)
Engine and handling doesn't thrill you
Felt like a 40+, driving it
Already have 3 Altis GL in family.

Laura
Pros
Very comfy
Best among competitors for in-cabin space
Solid build and best quality interiors
Superb engine
Best handling of all three cars

Cons
Elegant trim option missing
After sales service (Wouldn't like to use that word on public forum)
Reliablity

Cruze
pros
Best looker of all three
Gem of an engine
Good instrument level
GM 3 yrs warranty
Lowest cost of ownership (considering cost of frequently replacable spare parts)
Cons
Pain to drive in B2B traffic of mumbai

It was neck to neck between Cruze and Laura, late November I booked Laura TSI and was expected to be delivered on 5th of December. Within a weeks time I got a call from Chevrolet dealer that automatic Cruze will be launched in 2nd week of January.
I shouted at the sales representative, 10 days back only I had asked them if there are expecting cruze auto to be launched any time soon. Which they promptly replied, "No Sir, not before June 2010"
The only thing which I did not like about cruze was its turbo lag, now that would be gone with the auto version.
I kept on thinking whether I should cancel skoda booking or not. Few days later skoda representative called "Sir, the car delivery will be delayed by two weeks. The plant does not have any ready stock of the car in color of my choice as it is produced in limited quantity." I thought this is the gods way to say, cancel your booking and which I did.

I waited desperately for cruze auto to be launched, got a call on 6th of January and was asked to come to Ashtavinayak showroom on 8th for cars unveiling. Went there, saw a black Cruze auto with autographs of god knows who all. Couldn't TD the car as the car was not yet registered. I wanted to TD the car before I took the plunge. I was promised that the car will be sent to my home by 14th January for TD. To my surprise I had the car in front my building @ 10:00 AM on 15th January. I took it for a long TD, drove it over all kind of roads ( its very easy in Mumbai, you can find cemented, tar and stoned roads within 100 Mtrs stretch).
The turbo lag was no more evident, it was lot easier to drive. I was little disappointed with the fact that in the extra 1 Lakh Rs, over the LTZ model I was only getting auto box.
I booked the car very same day and was promised delivery by 14th Feb.

On 31st I got a call from the dealer that the car has now reached their Bhiwandi warehouse and can be delivered once the remaining payment is made, which I promptly did. I couldn't go to Bhiwandi to see the car, so asked him to get the car in their showroom so that I could see it and then only they should get is registered to which to my dismay he agreed.
I kept calling him twice everyday as to when do I get to see it, after making numerous excuses I was told today that the car has come and I can come and see it. I somehow finished my meetings, don't even remember what all actions were on me and have been waiting for sun to rise so that I get to see her.
I think I am already in love with her without even seeing her, don't know how will I sleep tonight, when will this night get over.

Will be out of town for the weekend, will be able to get her home only on Monday

FYI
I have already fought with my living GF in exuberance of getting to see my non-living GF. So if you have my number then don't call me till I get to see her.
Old 5th February 2010, 01:23   #2
BHPian

Well written story. Every car has a story behind it. And a happy ending. Take it positively. No monday morning blues for you this monday. Congratulations in advance.
Old 5th February 2010, 09:32   #3
BHPian

I think it will be the first Cruze auto on TBHP. Congrats my lucky friend and hope she gives you tons of joy. Don't completely forget the living Gf though.
Old 5th February 2010, 10:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

@diveshsingh - congrats on ur beauty.Keep your thread updated on your wonership experiences.
Old 5th February 2010, 10:10   #5
BANNED

Congrats on your decision and purchase, it is really a wonderful and powerful car which will keep you very happy. Enjoy your ride and keep posting your experiences.
Old 5th February 2010, 10:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Very well penned down your thoughts & desperation, nice to read. Pls keep us posted on the pics . Congratulations for a happy driving life

Last edited by aargee : 5th February 2010 at 10:11. Reason: Add more contents
Old 5th February 2010, 10:27   #7
BANNED

You must have her now. Ssome pics and the dealership details. What about freebies, insurance the total price of car?
Old 5th February 2010, 18:12   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Divesh, We don't allow booking threads anymore. I'm going to lock this discussion until you are ready to update with your post-delivery experience.

Congrats on the car
Old 9th February 2010, 18:06   #9
BHPian

3 sleepless nights before I get her home - My Chevy Cruze Automatic Upd: Got her home

I got up at 7 in the morning, booked a Meru cab for 9:30 to go to the showroom. Bouyant and excited I was outside my building at 9:25, waiting for the cab to arrive.
It took me 45 mins to reach the showroom some 5 kms away, I was cursing all the autorickshaw drivers on the way for their lack of driving sense.
On my way called the showroom to make sure the car is ready for delivery, don't want to wait there looking at the car, while someone is polishing my car. As promised the car was ready for delivery, followed PDI and signed on the dotted line of the invoice.
The sales representative didn't know anything about the car, he couldn't explain features of the car properly. Politely I asked him to get out of my car as I want to spend some quality time with my Girl friend before I get to my office.
Couldn't really enjoy the drive to office, there was maddening traffic all the way. Skipped a few heartbeat on way whenever someone on bike/autorickshaw made those maneuver cutting across the stationery car.
My girlfriend has already got quite a few admirers in the office, let me tell you she looks amazing in black. Can't wait to drive her back

Dealer experience:
Definitely not the best Chevrolet dealer in Mumbai. If you are buying chevrolet in Mumbai then go for National Garage. For some it may be extra miles to be travelled but trust me they are way better than Ashtavinayak.

Drive so far:
The automatic version is lot easier to drive in bumper to bumper traffic in Mumbai. The deisel engine grunt would be music to the ears of petrohead, not so much for executive car owners. The ride is very comfortable, was able to manage potholed and uneven roads of mumbai quite well. But don't expect comfort level of skoda.

Niggles so far:
The head unit skips a lot when listening to MP3 songs burned on RW CD. Its not there when stationery. But as soon as the car starts moving you can easily make out and its very irritating. Will burn another CD and try for a normal audio CD as well. If anyone else has also noticed it then lemme know.

Accessories done:
3M crystalline series tint. 50 on sides and back and 70 on front.
Door sil plates
Teflon coating.

Accessories planned (priority-wise):
Speakers upgrade.
If the problem with HU persists then surely HU upgrade as well.
Tires upgrade to Michelin Primacy LC or Continental CPC2
Boot lip spoiler.
Will be uploading the pics very soon.

Last edited by diveshsingh : 9th February 2010 at 18:08.
Old 9th February 2010, 20:31   #10
BHPian

Update :
MP3 songs playback issue can only be noticed on a particular CD. I tried playing another CD and it played well. I had burnt the songs in jukebox CD format, it could be because of the format. I tried playing the CD on my PC and windows would hang, surely the problem was not with the HU
Old 9th February 2010, 20:49   #11
BHPian

Congrats bro, what this thread now needs is pics............
Old 9th February 2010, 21:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Great choice! I'd love to know how the Cruze A/T drives and if it is as enjoyable as the M/T. Which color is it and how much did it cost you OTR?
Congrats and happy revving! pics please...
Old 9th February 2010, 21:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveshsingh View Post
Dealer experience:
Definitely not the best Chevrolet dealer in Mumbai. If you are buying chevrolet in Mumbai then go for National Garage. For some it may be extra miles to be travelled but trust me they are way better than Ashtavinayak.
Absolutely true - I went for a TD of the Cruze AT , it wasn't registered but I saw the same car you saw (black autographed one - Apsara awards attendee the SE told me ). Then I asked to see the Magnum - the SE showed me a car on which there were 3 guys working, fixing sun film. I asked him to show me a proper car, he didn't have any so I walked out.

Quote:
Drive so far:
Quote:
But don't expect comfort level of skoda.
Spot on again. Also I found the seats to be a on the harder side - how about you ?

And before I forget - CONGRATULATIONS on the car buddy.
Old 9th February 2010, 23:55   #14
BHPian

Thanks funkydevil,theragingbull, normally_crazy.
Will post pics soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Great choice! I'd love to know how the Cruze A/T drives and if it is as enjoyable as the M/T. Which color is it and how much did it cost you OTR?
Congrats and happy revving! pics please...
Its black beauty. 15.94 Lakhs on road Mumbai. I haven't yet got the chance to drive it on open roads, for sure city drive has improved by a long way over MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Spot on again. Also I found the seats to be a on the harder side - how about you ?
And before I forget - CONGRATULATIONS on the car buddy.
The front seats are comfy, the rear seats are best for kids. Lumbar support is sorely missing specially for 6'4" frame of mine.
Old 10th February 2010, 12:23   #15
BHPian

Congrats Divesh once again for getting your ride ....on time.

Let us know the entire Automatic experience. Also did ashtavinayak gave you any freebies?

As for my car, Still have to wait for a long long time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks