Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:23   #16
BHPian

Yet another convert

Congratulations, you are yet another convert. All these years 800 have sold in thousands and Ford has rightly positioned itself as first choice when it comes to upgrade.

How many 800s have been sold ? 100K ? that's a good opportunity. In fact Ford should offer the Fiesta/Figo as exchange for a week offer, drive the Fiesta/Figo for a week just like they had in US.
Old 7th July 2010, 11:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Thats very decent Fuel economy!
and you almost completing 10000kms in less than 6months time - Good going!
All these driving in city or lot of higway trip also involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Fantabulous Fuel Efficiency. How do you drive to manage to get such high figures!!!
Thanks for all the replies.

Generally my driving is around 25 to 30 km per day for office commuting (to and fro). In the mornings (7.30 am) roads are less congested but in the evenings, there will be medium to heavy traffic.

Other than this regular driving, we go for 100 to 150 km drive once or twice in a month.

My driving pattern is similar to what all you guys do. But I practice some methods which I hope will be useful to others:

1. When in bumper to bumper traffic, I will be very careful not to raise the engine RPM above 1500 - 1700. Even for all gear shifting, I ensure that the RPM stays below this level. Unwanted acceleration drinks fuel and is of no use in the congusted traffic.

2. If I plan to go to a crowded shopping place, generally I plan the parking spot and drive to the nearest comfortable parking place. I will not search for a parking place after reaching the destination. This helps a lot.

3. While waiting in traffic signal, I will switch off the engine if I find the stoppage is more than 30 sec.

4. Very smooth usage of clutch and that too absolutely on necessity only. I always keep my feet away from clutch. I also avoid sudden acceleration. Very gentle use of the clutch and acclerator is an absolut must, especially in bumper to bumper traffic.

5. Anticipatory driving is also key. In my regular travel to office, I know all places of trouble. Generally I will try to anticipate the problems. I keep a good distance away from trucks and buses, because they tend to stop in the middle of the road and that too at an unexpected time.

6. My high speed driving is limited to the long drives (once or twice in a month). During regular office usage, I don't get the opportunity to reach high speeds. Duirng highway driving, I tend to try 100-120 km/hour. But my regular driving is limited to less than 50-60 km/hour speed during my office commuting.

7. You can start 5 minutes early and you can see how comfortable you are in reaching your destination. No mental agony and no straining of the car.

Hope this is useful to all.
Old 7th July 2010, 11:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968chensaro View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

Generally my driving is around 25 to 30 km per day for office commuting (to and fro). In the mornings (7.30 am) roads are less congested but in the evenings, there will be medium to heavy traffic.

Other than this regular driving, we go for 100 to 150 km drive once or twice in a month.

My driving pattern is similar to what all you guys do. But I practice some methods which I hope will be useful to others:

1. When in bumper to bumper traffic, I will be very careful not to raise the engine RPM above 1500 - 1700. Even for all gear shifting, I ensure that the RPM stays below this level. Unwanted acceleration drinks fuel and is of no use in the congusted traffic.

2. If I plan to go to a crowded shopping place, generally I plan the parking spot and drive to the nearest comfortable parking place. I will not search for a parking place after reaching the destination. This helps a lot.

3. While waiting in traffic signal, I will switch off the engine if I find the stoppage is more than 30 sec.

4. Very smooth usage of clutch and that too absolutely on necessity only. I always keep my feet away from clutch. I also avoid sudden acceleration. Very gentle use of the clutch and acclerator is an absolut must, especially in bumper to bumper traffic.

5. Anticipatory driving is also key. In my regular travel to office, I know all places of trouble. Generally I will try to anticipate the problems. I keep a good distance away from trucks and buses, because they tend to stop in the middle of the road and that too at an unexpected time.

6. My high speed driving is limited to the long drives (once or twice in a month). During regular office usage, I don't get the opportunity to reach high speeds. Duirng highway driving, I tend to try 100-120 km/hour. But my regular driving is limited to less than 50-60 km/hour speed during my office commuting.

7. You can start 5 minutes early and you can see how comfortable you are in reaching your destination. No mental agony and no straining of the car.

Hope this is useful to all.
@chensaro

This looks straight out of the driving rules book.
I try to follow the same step you have mentioned with some degree of success although many times I end up with a lesser avg. But the avg you have mentioned needs a special effort and it is showing. Why dont you forward these figures to Ford, they might use it for promotional stuff.
Old 7th July 2010, 15:54   #19
BHPian

@ghodlur
Here is the blog from Ford for driving tips. Top Ten Driving Tips | Driving Ford
Old 8th July 2010, 08:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the information, nice blog site but mostly talks about Ford Figo nothing about Fiesta. Guess we should start one.
BTW is this the official Ford Blog. Does Ford view these blogs? then maybe its time the Fiestians can pour their heart out on various issues related to Ford vehicle from buying to maintaining. What say??
Old 8th July 2010, 09:21   #21
BHPian

Yes, they do view the feedback. You can see recent blog regarding 1,00,000 Fiesta. They appreciate only positive feedback. We can give try posting comments against this article!
Old 8th July 2010, 12:43   #22
BHPian

There is a lot of discussion going on in various threads regarding the correctness of the DTE meter in Fiesta.

In my opinion, there is a clear pattern in which the DTE meter is behaving. I have done around 10 tank refillings after buying my diesel Fiesta. I will try to explian the DTE meter behaviour pattern in my car.

There are some points to be noted before studfying the actual writeup. They are:

1. Immediately after refilling, I reset the trip meter to zero.

2. I always take the combined reading of DTE meter + Trip meter.

3. I have already posted the actual efficiency achieved by me in this
thread itself.

4. The combined DTE reading + Trip meter reading I mentioning in the writeup below is the value shown at the first cranking of the engine in the early morning.

5. The entire driving is done only by me. So the driving style is almost same except for few kilometers when the car is given for servicing.

WIth this information, pl. study the following writeup:

When the tank refilled (I usually fill upto the brim level), the DTE meter normally show 915 km. After resetting the trip meter I start driving my car.

Pattern 1
The DTE meter reading generally stays at 915 for the first 230 - 240 km of my driving. In other words, the combined reading of DTE meter + Trip meter will be approximately 1140 - 1150 km. During this period, the DTE meter will show 915 when ever I restart the car after parking atleast half an hour. I would have driven for atleast 7 to 8 days during this period. I call this as Increasing pattern

Pattern 2
For the next 300 - 320 km, the combined DTE + Triop meter reading will show a decline. It will strat declining from 1140 - 1150 to 1100 levels. During this period, I would have completed almost 15 - 16 days after my refilling and consumed half the tank of diesel. This I call as decreasing pattern.

Pattern 3
For the next 350 - 400 km, the combined reading of DTE + Trip meter will show an increasing trend. The reading will increase from 1100 km levels to 1170 - 1180 km. This is once again called Increasing pattern.

Pattern 4
For the next 100 - 120 km running, generally the combined DTE + Trip meter reading does not change much and will hover around 1170 - 1180 km level. By this time I would have driven more than 1160 km and the Low fuel lamp will start appearing. This phase, I will call it as stable pattern.

For the last 8 out of 10 refills, I have been seeing this consistent pattern in the readings. It has changed only when I gave the vehicle for servicing.

A model chart is given below for easy understanding.

I would love to answer any questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Chensaro upgrades from M800 to Ford Fiesta Diesel-chart.jpg  

Last edited by 1968chensaro : 8th July 2010 at 12:52.
Old 8th July 2010, 13:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Chesaro my friend. You have me zapped. I could not believe what I was reading. Your DTE reads 915 kms (Which I assume the DTE is displaying based on previous avg calculated by the ECU and the amount of fuel in the tank) on tank refuels. The patterns which you have mentioned is something I am unable to understand. How can the DTE remain constant when the vehicle has travelled 250kms. Also the assumption of trip meter+DTE is also incorrect. Either there is an issue with the DTE display which I feel is for sure or your way of calculating the avg seems to be wrong.
I would like to know how much kms does the trip meter read before the next refuel and whether the amount of fuel filled is same every time. If so then the trip meter reading divided by the fuel filled would give you the correct avg.
BHPians pls correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by ghodlur : 8th July 2010 at 13:08.
Old 8th July 2010, 13:45   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Chesaro my friend. You have me zapped. I could not believe what I was reading. Your DTE reads 915 kms (Which I assume the DTE is displaying based on previous avg calculated by the ECU and the amount of fuel in the tank) on tank refuels. The patterns which you have mentioned is something I am unable to understand. How can the DTE remain constant when the vehicle has travelled 250kms. Also the assumption of trip meter+DTE is also incorrect. Either there is an issue with the DTE display which I feel is for sure or your way of calculating the avg seems to be wrong.
I would like to know how much kms does the trip meter read before the next refuel and whether the amount of fuel filled is same every time. If so then the trip meter reading divided by the fuel filled would give you the correct avg.
BHPians pls correct me if I am wrong.
Dear Friend,

Please read the actual fuel efficiency acheived which I have posted in this thread itself (post No. 11) which will almost match with the figures mentioned in DTE discussion.

For your referecne, the details are reproduced once again.

My posting dated 02.07.2010:

Latest mileage figures are udpated:

Filling Date / Initial Odo reading / Odo reading at refilling / KM run during during this period / Litres of Diesel filled / Mileage (Km/l)

23.11.2009 / 387 / 1348 / 961 / 44.07 / 21.81
18.12.2009 / 1348 / 2220 / 872 / 39.91 / 21.86
26.12.2009 / 2220 / 2877 / 657 / 30.36 / 21.62
19.01.2010 / 2877 / 3903 / 1026 / 43.84 / 23.37
07.02.2010 / 3903 / 4362 / 459 / 24.77 / 18.55
06.03.2010 / 4362 / 5270 / 908 / 36.83 / 24.63
11.03.2010 / 5270 / 6415 / 1145 / 51.45 / 22.25
02.05.2010 / 6415 / 7506 / 1091 / 51.30 / 21.26
27.05.2010 / 7506 / 8577 / 1071 / 46.96 / 22.80
25.06.2010 / 8577 / 9567 / 990 / 41.00 / 24.34

Mileage is checked tankful to tankful basis.
Old 2nd April 2012, 20:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chensaro upgrades from M800 to Ford Fiesta Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
How can the DTE remain constant when the vehicle has travelled 250kms
That is because, bhpian chensaro fills diesel upto the brim(45 litre+extra filling). So until the 45 litre level is reached, DTE will always show for full tank.

It reduces during the trip, which indicates that DTE is not polled that frequently.

Most Viewed