Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2010, 09:35   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrmanju1 View Post
Hope i am not beating this GC topic to death.
Yes, you are

Hi B103, Welcome to the club of ANHC owners who have scratches on the front bumper and the owners who crib about speedbreakers and ANHC getting BANG (alor) ed

i am one of the initial member of this club
Old 1st March 2010, 10:04   #32
BHPian

Hi Biju,

I will ping you sometime so that to have a look at the headlight focus you are referring to, I allways keep the setting to "0" and it serves the purpose.

If Iam on a road which is new to me, then occasionally I use high beam for a second to make sure there are no surprises.

It really hurts to see a brand new car scratched out. Be cautious.
Old 1st March 2010, 10:13   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Yes, you are

Hi B103, Welcome to the club of ANHC owners who have scratches on the front bumper and the owners who crib about speedbreakers and ANHC getting BANG (alor) ed

With 4 adults and 2 kids on board, and being dead slow, I could not take the car out of my apartment. There is an exit ramp from the basement and near the exit gate, there is a smooth round gradual lump kind of structure made of concrete which hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Hi Biju,

I will ping you sometime so that to have a look at the headlight focus you are referring to, I allways keep the setting to "0" and it serves the purpose.

If Iam on a road which is new to me, then occasionally I use high beam for a second to make sure there are no surprises.

It really hurts to see a brand new car scratched out. Be cautious.
Raghu, the level adjust dial does not work for me at all. I tried it in all kinds of position what I can imagine. Planning to take it to Honda today if I have time. Running on high beam might be irresponsible from my side. Low beam hurts me than others. Will catch up with you at work tommorow. I am off today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
+1,
I have never done this as you mention, I mean with the key in 'ON' position but I did this quite a lot of times when I was on the road with the car in the 'START'ed position. If I see that there is more weight in the back of my ANHC and the angle of the beam is not as per what I am used to, I adjust the slider and I can see the beam moving across physically.

Can you try it once after starting your car? I am not sure if this is supposed to work just with the battery.
Thanks Kalyan, Adjusting the dial, does not change the angle of head light for me in battery or in engine on positions. I think I should get it checked up by Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrmanju1 View Post
Ouch, that hurts. I don't blame the car alone in this. Combination of

BANGalore unscientific Hump Hills + Low GC of the car + maybe the light.

I am concentrating on the roads a tad too much for these humps. Well, need to crack the Humps problem. Seniors - new ideas. (Slow + Turning the wheel in an angle are covered already)

Hope i am not beating this GC topic to death.
Manju, There isn't much we can do about it. I never had a problem with my earlier Getz even when it is fully loaded. I sold it to my brother and whent and checked yesterday how it's front bumper is.

There is a beeding kind of thing (either plastic or rubber) fixed below the front bumper of Getz and even if the front scrapes only this part will be in contact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
@Kalyan & Manju: I never had any major problems with GC in last 1 year. Agreed, if i am a little careless and there are 5 people on board it does get bottomed out,but those and few and rare (only 2-3 times last year).

Manju mentioned two things i use. Go very slow and use and angle so that both wheels arent off the bump at the same time (then the suspension dips and that when it hits).

In you case Kalyan, it still wont save you from any unseen bumps. But the same problem is there in most cars except probably SUVs.
SkyWalker, From my 2 weeks of experience in Honda City, your feat looks amazing to me. May be I will learn how to negotiate those humps successfully one day. It looks not so near to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Yes, you are

SV, after my experience of two weeks with the City, I am schizophrenic to a certain extent and is wondering at times if the car will do a seesaw, on seeing that might round lump of cement/tar on the road.

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st March 2010 at 10:32. Reason: Back to back posts, please wait for moderator approval to edit the original post.
Old 1st March 2010, 10:31   #34
BHPian

Yeh Biju,

Fine then, anyways even Iam off today, didn't wish to go to office and hence lying at home.

We will meet sometime tomorrow.
Old 1st March 2010, 10:45   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
SV, after my experience of two weeks with the City, I am schizophrenic to a certain extent and is wondering at times if the car will do a seesaw, on seeing that might round lump of cement/tar on the road.
Don't worry man, Honda cars are not (yet) so unpredictable
in fact of you do not respect speedbreakers, it is so predictable that, you here only one sound "BANG"

this is the most effective way the car OEMs & road builders (in co-operation) can contribute to reduction in accidents within cities.

one out of box idea. it must be mandated that every car MUST have max 160mm GC. this way everyone will start respecting the speed breakers.
Old 1st March 2010, 10:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Other City AT owners may share their experience -- if I accelerate the car to say 60 kmph on a level road and took my foot off accelerator, the car is kind of cruizing by itself around the same speed for a longer time than what I expected. I have driven cars in cruise control mode and felt quite similar. Also in 'D mode', after stopping the vehicle the vehicle is very eager to move as soon as I release the brake.
This is common as a there is not much engine braking in ATs.
Quote:
One question to gurus: I tried everything as per the manual to adjust the level of my headlight -- i.e, to turn the ignition key to 'ON' position and then adjust the dial on the right bottom side of the steerring. I tried in high beam as well as low beam position. Looks like it is not working. Is there anything which I am missing ??
On the headlight level adjuster, you just leave it to '0'. Other positions are available to do a correction when the car is loaded and the nose goes up, making the beam to fall further.
Yes the illumination is not sufficient to see the far away objects and that's why it is a good idea to keep checking with the high beam occassionally (whenever there are no oncoming vehicles, road is badly lit and you are not sure about what is ahead)
Old 1st March 2010, 13:35   #37
BHPian

Mileage calculation at the time if second tank fill

Mileage calculation after first full tank
Fuel:
42L -- max fuel capacity of the tank
39L -- Which I filled up in the immediate petrol pump after taking the delivery
3L -- that is then what I got from Whitefield Honda
11.5 liters -- I could fill only 30.5 liters second time when I topped up the tank. This means that the tank had around 11.5L of fuel pending in it.

I am taking the milestone as the tank fill up of second time

Distance:
312 km -- Distance displayed in odometer
9 km -- what the car had already done when I took the delivery from the dealer

Average mileage:
Total distance covered at the milestone is : 312 - 9 = 303 km
Fuel used up to cover 303 kms is : 39 + 3 - 11.5 = 30.5 L

Average mileage is : 303/30.5 = 9.934 (can be rounded off to 10 kmpl ??)

THe onboard fuel indicator was showing 11.2 (on small roads) and 11.8 (on outer ring road/hosur road) most of the time.
Old 1st March 2010, 15:14   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With 4 adults and 2 kids on board, and being dead slow, I could not take the car out of my apartment.
Quote:
SkyWalker, From my 2 weeks of experience in Honda City, your feat looks amazing to me.
duh! Either i am doing something terribly good or you folks have seen speed breakers i have never handled before.

We should have an ANHC meet - i think there are lots of Bangalore owners here now.
Old 1st March 2010, 18:45   #39
BHPian

Headlight and it's dial adjustment

Guys, I went to Whitefield honda today to chekout if the dial (for adjusting headlight) is really working or not. Talked to AGM Ramdas again today and cribbed about my problem. He directed a guy to check it out.

Ramdas appears to be a multi-linguist to me. I have heard him talking at least 4 more languages apart from English and Hindi .

The outcome of the inspection was that the headlight adjusting dial is indeed working. The effect of the dial adjustment changes the angle of light so little that it is indeed very difficult to figure out if it actually changes anything. I had previously tried to find it out by parking the car in a dark area opp to a wall in the basement in my apartment. Couldn't feel any difference then.

In the service station, a guy with black pants was made to stand opp to the car and then dial was adjusted by another person through the window of the car. I was standing outside and this time could hear the sound of a motor moving.

First attempt was a dud. I couldn't see anything changing but second attempt indicated that light is indeed moving an angle by a minute margin.

The dial postion must be set to 0 to get the maximum reach which is the new info which I learned. I was still not happy about the headlights lights and then Ramdas asked me to check out the 'Osram Nightbreaker' headlights in the accessory shop. It seems that the circuitry need not be altered for changing to this bulb. Each peice costed Rs 800. I don't know what would be price outside but finally went for it as it is not a Honda built accessory and thought they will have to sell at the price fixed by Osram. I have attached a pic of it. Hopefully this bulb will bring in some better lighting.

As an aside, in between, I checked the cost of original Honda bumper protector beedings with the guy in accessory store. 4 peices (for the 4 corners) costed Rs 8,357. Me almost fainted . I can understand if Honda wants to make it's car a desirable item by pricing it above the average market price. That could be a marketing strategy. However, what could be the rationale for making accessories so costly ?

That is the update about headlight and it's dial adjustment. Hopefully it would help other confused souls like me who had just bought the City.
Attached Thumbnails
Dream comes true -- Silver Honda City AT, now 10 years up!-01032010070.jpg  

Last edited by B103 : 1st March 2010 at 18:58. Reason: Phrasing better
Old 1st March 2010, 18:58   #40
BHPian

Hi Biju,

OSRAM specifications mentioned are exactly the same as the ones used with the car.

Iam curious to know how it works?

Is it 800/pair or 1600/pair?
Old 1st March 2010, 19:01   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Manju mentioned two things i use. Go very slow and use and angle so that both wheels arent off the bump at the same time (then the suspension dips and that when it hits).
That would work when the traffic is lean. Under heavy traffic condition we may not get enough space side wise to angle. What should I do then?
I think every car should be tested on Bangalore roads before the launch.
Old 1st March 2010, 19:02   #42
BHPian

Cost of bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Hi Biju,

OSRAM specifications mentioned are exactly the same as the ones used with the car.

Iam curious to know how it works?

Is it 800/pair or 1600/pair?
Raghu, it is 1600 + 200 as tax for a pair of bulbs. No fitting charges. From what I was told, these bulbs would bring in some more whiter light and hence an improvement. I am not sure if I can get a significant improvement without changing the ciruits and having high wattage bulbs. Hence settled for those.

Last edited by B103 : 1st March 2010 at 19:05.
Old 1st March 2010, 19:07   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Raghu, it is 1600 + 200 as tax for a pair of bulbs. No fitting charges. From what I was told, these bulbs would bring in some more whiter light and hence an improvement. I am not sure if I can get a significant improvement without changing the ciruits and having high wattage bulbs. Hence settled for those.
cool, let us know the difference you find it now after the replacement?

I need to replace mine too, was thinking of relay and higher bulbs, but if OSRAM solves it, let it be tried.

All the accessories are imported for Honda and hence they are priced heavily, this is what they quote.
Old 1st March 2010, 20:38   #44
BHPian

Sorry to barge in on this thread, but with respect to the bulbs, I have heard that Philips x-treme power is much better than osram nightbreakers and cheaper as well. Just something I have read on other threads. so you guys might want to check that out.
Old 1st March 2010, 21:32   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnk77 View Post
That would work when the traffic is lean. Under heavy traffic condition we may not get enough space side wise to angle. What should I do then?
I think every car should be tested on Bangalore roads before the launch.
I had a similar situation almost three weeks back on a stretch of Tumkur Road in between Nelamangala and Pennya. Due to flyover construction, the PWD guys have put speed breakers almost every 50 meters or so and some of those are car breakers, well almost.

We were four adults and two kids and I was trying to cross those at speeds ~ 5 KMPH, literally forcing the car to crawl over the breakers and haplessly hearing screeching noise due to the car underbody scraping against the breakers. There were no room to cross the breakers diagonally due to moderate to heavy traffic condition. So, I had no options :(

And yes, I do feel that Honda has kept the suspension setting of ANHC on the softer side. It seems they did not apply their learnings from Civic to City. They have applied that in the new Civic though; new Civic owners are reporting a stiffer suspension.

-Pratim

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks