Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2010, 17:39   #121
BHPian

By the way, my smart card was deliverd last Friday.

Because of work pressure, I could not check with the post office or RTO, as suggested by Raghu, Joe and Jayanth. However, it came finally and I am happy.
Old 18th April 2010, 18:35   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
If anybody is looking for Philips Extreme Power bulb, I have got an unopened pair with me, which I have bought last week from the Philips authorized distributor. I can pass it on with the original bill.

I would like to know the price & its watts is it addaptble to ANHC what is the difference between Philips Rally and this one?
Old 18th April 2010, 19:59   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post
I have recently (4days back) upgraded lights of my ANHC VAT to Philips Rally 90/100 with Hella Relay Kit (Relay, wiring, Ceramic holders).

Total cost INR 1010/- and output is just awesome.

Philips Xtreame power says +80% but practically its only up-to +30%, and cost is more then what I have paid.

Can you kindly say the difference between philips X treme & Rally which is the best between them and what is the price difference.
Old 19th April 2010, 09:56   #124
BHPian

@sathyaprakash Philips Xtreme Power what I have is 60/55 H4 type, I purchased it for putting it in NHC. For time being kept them as spare in my car.

These are the Pros upgradation with 60/55 Xtreme bulbs when compared with Ralley 100/90.

Being the 60/55 H4, its stock wattage spec, No hassles of additional wiring, not much additional load on battery, simply Plug and Play, no problems of Car Warranty issues. Cost is Rs.800/- for a pair (sold in pairs)

Some posts on other Forums says, there can be a disadvantage of shorter life for these 80% more efficient bulbs (not only Xtreme Power) especially due to lots of Dim and Bright switching. Philips Ralley bulbs can be bought as singles.
Old 19th April 2010, 10:45   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
By the way, my smart card was deliverd last Friday.

Because of work pressure, I could not check with the post office or RTO, as suggested by Raghu, Joe and Jayanth. However, it came finally and I am happy.
Just make sure that the registration number mentioned on the smart card is same as what the number plate displays. It happened to me that the dealer did some mistake because of which they gave me wrong number plate.
Old 23rd April 2010, 20:53   #126
BHPian

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnk77 View Post
Just make sure that the registration number mentioned on the smart card is same as what the number plate displays. It happened to me that the dealer did some mistake because of which they gave me wrong number plate.
Thanks vnk77. I did a cross-check of data.
Old 9th May 2010, 20:12   #127
BHPian

Travelouge to Ooty

Had a trip to Ooty last week in the Honda City. Thought of typing in a travelouge as I used the new car to drive down to Ooty. I wanted to go on a long drive before the second service which is due in second week of May.The travelouge cum drive review is as below. I hope it will be useful for fellow TBHP-ians.

In Bangalore, we drove through Outer ring road -> Bannarghatta road -> NICE road to reach Mysore road . Major places enroute are Maddur ->
Mandya -> Srirangapattana -> Mysore ring road -> Nanjancode -> Gundalpet -> Bandipur -> Muthumalai -> Gudalur -> Ooty.

Mysore road drives you straight to Mysore and hence is the least confusing segment. Bangalore to Mysore is approx 135 kms. Traffic volume is rather high on Mysore road esp in the evenings and it took us close to 4 hrs with a half hour break to cover this distance, on both ways. Mind you there are speed breakers in every 5-10 kms or so and you may run over some, if not cautious. Srirangapattana is a historical place which will arrive just before Mysore city.

Before entering Mysore city, there is a ring road going to the right side which bypasses the whole city. Taking this route will save time
though it goes a roundabout way via the city's periphery and runs more kms. Once you pass Mysore, the road to Nanjancode (20 kms from Mysore) is scenic with water bodies on road sides. Mysore airport comes on the right side of this road. Gutters are patched up with tar but road is tad bumpy.

After Nanjancode to Gundalpet is the best part of the drive. There are occassional humps and the road to keep you vigilant. Road is single-laned but is in good shape. From Gundalpet, we enter the Bandipur forest which is the border of Karnataka. From Bandipur, we cross to Mudumalai which is the continuation of the forest in Tamil Nadu's side. Drive through these two forests were really amazing. There are sign boards and speed breakers all the way.

Once you exit Mudumalai, Gudalur is the next place. Road to tourist hotspots in Kerala like Sultan Batery, Calicut, Wayanad etc splits right from here. In fact, there is a place named Tapekkadu in the
Mudumalai forest and there is a road to Ooty from this place which is signficantly shorter than the other road via Gudalur, which we took. This road splits left from the main road at Tappekkadu and distance to Ooty via this road is only 36 kms.

If you go via Gudualur, which is the usual route, the distance to Ooty is around 76 kms. Hence there is a saving of 40 kms approx via the other road but from what I heard, the road is narrow and full of steep hair pin curves (36 hairpins from what I was told).

After Gudalur, the uphill climb starts. The total distance is
approximately 315 kms from Sarjapur road in Bangalore to bus stand at Ooty. While going up and coming down, I took close to 10 hrs to cover the whole distance with breaks in every 2 hrs.

Bangalore-Mysore road takes close to 4 hrs to drive. Then comes the Mysore -> Gundalpet drive which will consume another 2 hrs. From Gundalpet, we enter the jungles of Bandipur and Mudumalai where speed breakers are rampant and speed limits (30 to 40 kmph) are posted all over. Once you exit the forests, the climb starts and here too you cannot travel above 50 kmph. Big vehicles coming in the opposite direction, will stray into your side of the road to negotiate those sharp turns without loosing speed. Got to be very careful on those turns. I have been trifile lucky on a couple of occassions. Thank God.

Now about the car, my experience had been good overall. When driving through the straight roads, I realized that the suspension is on the softer
side when compared to my older car -- Hyundai Getz. You can feel those small rolls coming into your seat. Also mine is City automatic. While
driving through the ghats, I was driving in the 'D mode' mostly. Paddle shifters were used occassionaly to downshift before overtaking. I realized that the car revs a bit too long before upshifting to a higher gear and increase the speed when the accelerator is pressed hard on an uphill, primarily to overtake other vehicles. Without upshifting, engine produces more sound and less acceleration at those precious moments. I didn't try the paddlers to upshift manually when this happened.

Again, with 3 adults and a child plus luggage of around 15 kgs onboard the bottom scraped out on every serious hump. Some of them on the Bannarghatta road and Mysore road where almost as high as the cliffs in Ooty. Car literally falls down from the peak of those humps . Anyway, this is coverd in a lot of other threads and hence is not going deep here.

On the way up climbing the hill, I had to stop at a place because a truck in front had stopped. Soon I realized that another car had given a thud from the behind. I kind of panicked and thought of moving the car to road side to see the damange. Somehow, I thought that the engine had shutdown and cranked the keys again and again, when the engine was actually running. Finally, I parked the car to one side and checked the back. To my utter surprise, there weren't any dents or scatches. I haven't cracked this mystery fully because metals used in new age cars are quite light to reduce weight and hence will bent or scratch with the slightest of impacts. Probably it is that the other car (an old Maruti 800) would have touched the exhaust pipe from an angle, as we were going uphill.

Now on Ooty, it is an amazingly picturesque place. We stayed in a cottage arranged by arranged by my colleague. Temperature now is quite cool esp at nights and water too is quite chilly. Roads are very narrow and many roads are closed because of ongoing construction work. Hence had trouble with the routes as guided by the GPS once we were inside Ooty. I felt that the place now has lot of filth and garbage because of the booming tourism.

I am uploading some pics of the travel here.
Attached Thumbnails
Dream comes true -- Silver Honda City AT, now 10 years up!-dsc03741.jpg  

Dream comes true -- Silver Honda City AT, now 10 years up!-dsc03747.jpg  

Dream comes true -- Silver Honda City AT, now 10 years up!-dsc03752.jpg  

Dream comes true -- Silver Honda City AT, now 10 years up!-dsc03764.jpg  

Dream comes true -- Silver Honda City AT, now 10 years up!-dsc03766.jpg  

Dream comes true -- Silver Honda City AT, now 10 years up!-dsc03768_1.jpg  

Dream comes true -- Silver Honda City AT, now 10 years up!-dsc03769.jpg  

Dream comes true -- Silver Honda City AT, now 10 years up!-dsc03773.jpg  

Dream comes true -- Silver Honda City AT, now 10 years up!-dsc03800.jpg  

Dream comes true -- Silver Honda City AT, now 10 years up!-dsc03847.jpg  

Old 9th May 2010, 21:26   #128
Senior - BHPian

Hi Biju

So you managed a long trip. it was due for some time i think
Queen of Hills is best visited by driving own car.

how much was the fuel economy ? why don't you post a detailed travelogue.
Old 10th May 2010, 11:24   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi Biju

So you managed a long trip. it was due for some time i think
Queen of Hills is best visited by driving own car.

how much was the fuel economy ? why don't you post a detailed travelogue.
Thanks Aravind. Yes, it was due for a long time. I haven't driven this long a distance ever in India. Just mustered courage and started.

I didn't check the economy very closely this time. Occassional observation showed that the car was returning somewhere between 12 and 14 kmpl. The drive from Bangalore to Mysore was not too fast because of high traffic density. Again after Gudaloor, the drive through the two forests are slow. Further comes the climbing of ghats to Ooty. As I wrote above, it took 10 hrs for me to cover 310 kms when I went up as well as down.

An Oooty trip in my opinion is not the ideal one to see what mileage do you get on highways. Probably, a trip to Chennai may serve that purpose.

Also, I have put a concise travelouge along with the photos above. It is not very elaborate though. Did you get a chance to see it ?

Last edited by B103 : 10th May 2010 at 11:25.
Old 11th May 2010, 22:24   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Aravind. Yes, it was due for a long time. I haven't driven this long a distance ever in India. Just mustered courage and started.

I didn't check the economy very closely this time. Occassional observation showed that the car was returning somewhere between 12 and 14 kmpl. The drive from Bangalore to Mysore was not too fast because of high traffic density. Again after Gudaloor, the drive through the two forests are slow. Further comes the climbing of ghats to Ooty. As I wrote above, it took 10 hrs for me to cover 310 kms when I went up as well as down.

An Oooty trip in my opinion is not the ideal one to see what mileage do you get on highways. Probably, a trip to Chennai may serve that purpose.

Also, I have put a concise travelouge along with the photos above. It is not very elaborate though. Did you get a chance to see it ?

It was a wonderful writeup congratulations on your trip to Ooty

Just last week myself along with my family went to Kodai in my ANHC automatic total KM covered was 1150km & average mileage i got in the plains was 14km /litre and in the hills it was 12km/litre i have been using the D mode as well as S mode wherever possible with full AC on

the speed at which i was travelling in Highways where in between 120 - 140 km/hr and in ghat section it was 60 - 70 km/hr

one important factor i observed was the car struglles to cross 140km & there is an increase in acceleration if the AC is put off at top speed between 120 - 140km/hr the car was fully loaded with 4 adults & 2 kids along with 4 suitcase of luggage

Further i would like to tell every body the important additons i made before i made this trip it was upgrading my head lights (100/90 phillips Rally) & adding one more set of Bosh horns, plus another important additons is for the Front wind shield CR 70 3M sunfilm to arrest the heat while driving whole day in summer

all the three where extremely useful for me & i would like to thank every member in guiding me through this to have a safe & happy journey & like to recommend these products to other ANHC owners also for a safe drive in highways.
Old 12th May 2010, 21:46   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
It was a wonderful writeup congratulations on your trip to Ooty

Just last week myself along with my family went to Kodai in my ANHC automatic total KM covered was 1150km & average mileage i got in the plains was 14km /litre and in the hills it was 12km/litre i have been using the D mode as well as S mode wherever possible with full AC on
Is it the reading from the fuel meter or calculated by you ? Actual mileage usually is 1-2 km less than what is shown by the fule consumption meter.

Quote:
one important factor i observed was the car struglles to cross 140km & there is an increase in acceleration if the AC is put off at top speed between 120 - 140km/hr the car was fully loaded with 4 adults & 2 kids along with 4 suitcase of luggage
I guess the top speed of this car itself is 150-160 kmph. With 4 adults and 4 suitcases onboard, I wonder if it will go further than that easily.

Last edited by B103 : 12th May 2010 at 21:47.
Old 13th May 2010, 18:38   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Is it the reading from the fuel meter or calculated by you ? Actual mileage usually is 1-2 km less than what is shown by the fule consumption meter.

I guess the top speed of this car itself is 150-160 kmph. With 4 adults and 4 suitcases onboard, I wonder if it will go further than that easily.

Its from the reading of the meter i did'nt had the patience to do the maths

May be the top speed is 160kmph but i sure found my car to struggle to go beyond 140kmph any one of our forum members who have rode above 140kmph please put your sugestions on this
Old 14th May 2010, 11:37   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
Its from the reading of the meter i did'nt had the patience to do the maths

May be the top speed is 160kmph but i sure found my car to struggle to go beyond 140kmph any one of our forum members who have rode above 140kmph please put your sugestions on this
I sometimes wonder where that 118HP claimed by Honda is, it really struggles to push beyong 120 and sound from the engine feels strained. I feel disappointed when cars like santro and swift overtake in a wizz
Old 14th May 2010, 11:55   #134
BHPian

I agree with you.Beyond 120 the car is really left gasping and engine note turns rough. Also given the skinny tyres the car just doesnt feel planted at those speeds.The car just doesnt do justice to the power figure!
Old 14th May 2010, 12:06   #135
BHPian

B103, nice, crisp update on your Ooty trip. Great photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanth_yk View Post
I sometimes wonder where that 118HP claimed by Honda is, it really struggles to push beyong 120 and sound from the engine feels strained.
+1 to that. I also felt same.

Last edited by pratim : 14th May 2010 at 12:09.

Most Viewed