Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2012, 10:33   #151
BHPian

re: Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Sorry to hear that. Is your Laura a Tsi or Tdi? Which alloy got damaged ? front/rear? Just to talk to Peter, I guess there maybe some issues with the specific alloy model. Try an escalate the issue with the Borbet guys, I hope you have taken images of the damage.
AFAIK one of Peter's ADV1 18 inch alloys got damaged and he was able to get a free replacement.
It's a tdi. Front left.
Old 6th January 2013, 13:26   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Its been a while and the car has crossed 45K Kms. Its now over 5K kms after the Stage II (300hp) upgrade, the power delivery puts a smile across my face every time. The next service is due at around 50K and I am planning to fine tune the map a little to make the power delivery even more linear.

Nothing much to write about, except a small issue that cropped up at around 43K Kms. The coolant level was coming down on its own at about 200-300ml/day and it was diagnosed to be a faulty water pump. Took it down to the Skoda centre in Salem and they said it would take 2 days.

Well since it was within 5K kms after the major update at Pete's. I called up Peter and he promptly agreed to change it for free. The next morning Peter's head mechanic with an assistant came down to my place and changed the water pump at my place within two hours.

The car is due for a wash and I ll post some pictures soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-img_1244.jpg  

robimahanta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 14:59   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
Exactly the same. H&r lowering springs and bilstien b6. Haven't even done 1000kms with this setup. My rims are not taking it. I only use the Laura for out station trips. No city driving at all in the car. Iam simply amazed that you have been driving on this setup for so long without trouble.
megazoid,
let me put in my take regarding suspension set up. I have the Bilstein B14s running on 17'' Borbet XLs shod with Michelin 225/45/17 PS3s on my vRS. Its a much more stiffer setup then what you presently run.
Absolutely no problems till date. More impressive is I drove down to Goa (1300kms/16hrs) in the monsoons after Peter twirled his magic wand in Cochin. Still laughing every time I take her out for a spin.
Old 7th January 2013, 15:14   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketla2411 View Post
megazoid,
let me put in my take regarding suspension set up. I have the Bilstein B14s running on 17'' Borbet XLs shod with Michelin 225/45/17 PS3s on my vRS. Its a much more stiffer setup then what you presently run.
Absolutely no problems till date.
Thats nice to hear. I am getting one more alloy and giving it a try again.
Old 7th January 2013, 17:41   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

So what's the root cause? Why did the water pump fail?
Old 7th January 2013, 18:22   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
So what's the root cause? Why did the water pump fail?
Well I am not sure but both Pete's and Skoda Service centre echoed that its a part prone to failure in TSI Laura's at around 50k kms.
They have replaced the same in quite a few number of old TSI's.

One of the valves in my water pump had failed and coolant was seeping out albeit at a very slow rate.
Old 16th February 2013, 22:58   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

47000KM update

Owing to the excessive wheel spin in the first two gears (inspite of traction control), torque steer and the poor quality (low octane) fuel in the highways I decided to tone down the engine map to get a much smoother drive and to protect the front tires. When using 97 octane, the drive is in a different league but the cost and availability of Speed 97 is a bane.

Visited Red Rooster Racing in Bangalore and found the car to be making 242 wheel HP with 370 Nm torque. Considering 15-20% transmission and other losses, it should be around 280HP (crank)

The Dyno Plot
Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-skodadynoplot1ed.jpg

Entering RR for the Dyno
Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-img_1343.jpg

The beauty of the TSI engine, its possible to get 16km/l with a car making over 250hp
Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-img_1336.jpg

3M CF wrap of the front bumper spoiler
Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-_dsm3635.jpg

3M CF wrap of the aluminium bits in the dash and door panel (Lets see how long it lasts)
Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-_dsm3644.jpg

Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-_dsm3642.jpg
robimahanta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th February 2013, 23:16   #158
BHPian

V E R Y nice!!!!

Graphs a bit choppy/bumpy dont you think!?!. Should be a lot smoother once the car gets on boost IMHO. Had a lot of tuning done on the evos and sti, and none looked that choppy... should have your feul pump checked out. Also clean out the injectors and charcoal filter/sensor and pipes.. power graphs way too bumpy and that is never a good thing for turbo engines.

Did RR guys tune on top of pete's base map? Or did they build a map from scratch?

Hre is what you're graph should look like. Green = Safe tune, Orange = Slight Aggressive tune (Speed Feul/ Premium Feul), Red = Very Aggressive tune (Speed 97 only)

Note from Team-bhp support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
Attached Images

Last edited by moralfibre : 18th February 2013 at 11:40.
Old 17th February 2013, 03:12   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Hre is what you're graph should look like. Green = Safe tune, Orange = Slight Aggressive tune (Speed Feul/ Premium Feul), Red = Very Aggressive tune (Speed 97 only)

Thanks a lot Prithwi. I know the power delivery is a bit choppy especially around the 4500rpm.
The RR guys didnt work on the map at all, just went there for a Dyno. The entire remap is worked out by Peter and the guys from Custom Code,UK.
There is a major issue with fuel quality in India and it varies a lot across different pumps. Since I do a lot of highway drives, its difficult for me to stick to a single pump.
Some amount of fine tuning of the map is left and the guys are working hard on it. Things should be sorted out by another month.

Hope you have a great time at the Buddh circuit. Wish I could drive my car there, you guys up north are lucky to have a track like that at your disposal.
Old 17th February 2013, 11:43   #160
Team-BHP Support

Wow so the 1.8tsi is now more powerful than the n20 in the 328i. Quite a feat.

Also I like the new bumper lip, and the superskoda grille , do check out the rear diffuser they have on sale too.
Old 17th February 2013, 12:48   #161
BHPian

Quote:

Hope you have a great time at the Buddh circuit. Wish I could drive my car there, you guys up north are lucky to have a track like that at your disposal.
Delhi is not that far away you know, especially in your car

Thanks for the regular updates on the Forum Robi, I should update mine too, the fist service is around the corner ( less than 2k kms to 15k)
azeemhafiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2013, 20:42   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Forgot to mention that the graph actually smoothens out a bit once you spread it across a wider rpm range. Check the stock dyno of the N20 328i plot for reference. My only concern is the dip around 4500rpm, cant really feel it during the drive though.

Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-n20f30328iplot.jpg

Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-n20328iplot.jpg

[image source: automobilemag.com]

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Wow so the 1.8tsi is now more powerful than the n20 in the 328i.
Also I like the new bumper lip, and the superskoda grille , do check out the rear diffuser they have on sale too.
Thanks Akshay. The rear diffuser is in stock at the dealership as well but I did not quite like the look when I put it on the car.
Old 20th February 2013, 18:17   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Check the stock dyno of the N20 328i plot for reference.
Can you drive with a 328i/530D/Audi 3lts and let us know the difference. I guess your car should be close to those machines. Now this would be an interesting info at least for me.

If you are not able to finds those cars then you have to attend mumbai drives.
Old 20th February 2013, 18:31   #164
BHPian

Quote:

Forgot to mention that the graph actually smoothens out a bit once you spread it across a wider rpm range. Check the stock dyno of the N20 328i plot for reference. My only concern is the dip around 4500rpm, cant really feel it during the drive though.

[image source: automobilemag.com]

Thanks Akshay. The rear diffuser is in stock at the dealership as well but I did not quite like the look when I put it on the car.
Little bumps and dips are ok. What is worrying is the flat/dip/pause on the powerband at 4500rpm and the sudden bump after. Its almost like the ecu is lost at that point, which is scary. Does the 1.8 tsi have vvt? Get that corrected and your golden.
Old 20th February 2013, 21:48   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post

Can you drive with a 328i/530D/Audi 3lts and let us know the difference. I guess your car should be close to those machines. Now this would be an interesting info at least for me.

If you are not able to finds those cars then you have to attend mumbai drives.
Well its difficult to find the cars you mentioned as hardly anyone buys these machines. Just to let you know the 320d/C/A42tdi are no match, you may even include cars like Q5, X1, 525d, Evoque on that list. I am just happy to have a car which is more fun to drive but costs atleast 10L less than its nearest equivalent.

@prithwi
The map with 97oct is smooth and pristine. Just give me a month or so and I ll be up with a brilliant map for 91octane as welll. As you said, the dip near 4500rpm is the only concern and its getting sorted out pretty soon.
A few other upgrades are also planned, so just hang on for a while. It will soon be the best driving machine south of 20L, maybe a bit more

Most Viewed