Team-BHP - Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/75579-yet-another-skoda-laura-1-8-tsi-team-bhp-edit-now-sold-9.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shajufx (Post 2948052)
Superb upgrades buddy..its long time we are due for a coffee meet !! Have fun and drive safe :thumbs up

Thanks a lot dude. I am in Bangalore on 2nd/3rd Nov. I will give you a buzz and try to meet up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 2948109)
Fantastic upgrades dude!
If I remember correctly, there was an Octavia vRS tuned to 500 horses by Petes! That's a crazy amount of power going to the front wheels that are also supposed to steer the car apart from propelling it. Even an E-Diff isn't going to help in harnessing all that power and most of it isn't going to be usable anyway. 300 is more than enough for a FWD car.

Thanks a bunch Suhaas. I am glad you liked the upgrades. A hell lot of planning has been done before doing each and every upgrade, be it performance or cosmetic.
It feels nice when an enthusiast appreciates it.

Lets see about the RS bumper. I have got a sweet deal on some amazing "Recaro" seats, so it might come first. Anyway, about the HP.
The HP on paper is around 300 but the wheel HP is obviously less. I believe the Stage 2 hits the sweet spot with manageable torque steer. Just need to be careful at the traffic signals.
I am very careful in the 1st/2nd gears else the traction control goes bonkers. :)
Besides I am more of a highway driver than a signal to signal racer boy.

WOW!

Your car is now officially what my car wants to be or has to be. :D
Thank you for charting a fantastic and desirable evolution path for us Tsi owners.

For me this is the dream / near-perfect setup for the 1.8 Tsi, let me know when you are in Bangalore the next time. It will be great to catch-up!

Parked next to your car, I anticipate my white vRS to automatically turn blue.

Best,

Azeem

Quote:

Originally Posted by azeemhafiz (Post 2948639)
WOW!

Your car is now officially what my car wants to be or has to be.

For me this is the dream / near-perfect setup for the 1.8 Tsi, let me know when you are in Bangalore..

Thanks Azeem. I will call you on 2nd/3rd Nov, shall try to meet up on 3rd Nov.

Had been to Pete's to get things done for my car and I happened to see this one in flesh there. Good looks and a mean stance. Nice choice of mods as well.

This is for all those who are having the light error in the instruments console after installation of LED bulbs. I have now 6 LED's (2 DRL's, 2 parking sidelights and 2 license plate lights) in my car and its totally error free. Previously, I had posted a picture about sorting out the DRL LED error.

This is to sort out the error from the license plate LED which is afixed to the camera. I got the idea from http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic...e-lights-help/

Had an amazing drive to Bangalore from Salem! Minimal traffic and beautiful weather.

What it was before : an executive sedan
Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-img_0411.jpg

What it is now : a sports sedan :)
Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-img_1103.jpg

Hey congrats on your refurbished ride man! This is the coolest Laura I have seen on Indian roads. It looks mean! And the performance upgrades and 300 BHP is awesome. Along with the suspension/brakes/shoes, I can't even imagine how amazing this must be to drive.

Congrats yet again! Cheers. Keep us updated!

Mate the upgrades are super impressive. I am sure you are in love with the upgraded behaviour of the car,

I have a few requests of mine.

A. Can you please post a few shots of the engine bay - now that all work has been done.

B. Post Driving comparisons - Stock - 200 HP and 300 HP. I am especially interested in how does she transfer the power to the ground and also thoughts on the way she pulls ?

I can imagine my requests will take time, I would greatly appreciate your time. Please post it when possible.

Thanks a ton. And congrats on owning a serious piece of motoring hardware.

OT: Might I suggest a change in the paint scheme, say something stealth planes use to hide from the radar, might come in handy.

Best - ML.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motoringlover (Post 2951765)
I have a few requests of mine.

A. Can you please post a few shots of the engine bay - now that all work has been done.

B. Post Driving comparisons - Stock - 200 HP and 300 HP. I am especially interested in how does she transfer the power to the ground and also thoughts on the way she pulls ?

I can imagine my requests will take time, I would greatly appreciate your time. Please post it when possible.

Thanks a ton. And congrats on owning a serious piece of motoring hardware.

OT: Might I suggest a change in the paint scheme, say something stealth planes use to hide from the radar, might come in handy.

Best - ML.

Thanks a lot.

Image of the engine bay. Theres hardly any difference from stock as the turbo/manifold/intercooler/DV are not visible. Besides I didnt do any intake work, so no fancy colored hoses around.

Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-img_1103.jpg

Regarding driving impressions, I still need to get used to the new power surge to make a comment. But in simple terms, its like it reaches 180 in the same time as the stock would take to reach 140 and a stage 1 to say 155.
Moreover, it now pulls relentlessly all the way upto 6500rpm. In stage 1 there was a slight dip beyond 5500 rpm. Let me do some long drives and get back to you with a detailed driving impression.
As to comparing it with a stock TSi, Azeem Hafiz would be a better person as he drove the two cars today back to back.

my car with Azeem's VRS

Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-img_1105.jpg

PS: My VRS alloys with Michelin Primacy LC 205/55 16 are on sale in the classifieds section!

Quote:

Originally Posted by robimahanta (Post 2952259)
Azeem Hafiz would be a better person as he drove the two cars today back to back.

I remember writing about how I could not stop grinning when I drive my vRS. I got off Robi's car after some sweet driving and orchestrating one of the sweetest sounding symphonies with the exhaust note (that I totally love) about 12 hours ago - And I am still grinning, a smile pasted wide on my face when I think about the drive or even when I recall our return convey mode back to Bangalore. Sweet!

The numbers and stats are not even remotely as impressive as the way this car and its power delivery makes you feel. I have written before in the forum that I miss the soul to engine connection in a turbo-charged car, something that I adore in the NA counterparts, this machine makes you feel like you are driving a deep throated Naturally aspirated engine. Don't get me wrong - In my books that's the highest praise a turbo-charged car can get. The remap has been done really well to ensure the power delivery curve is linear and one that purists fall in love with instantaneously. The surge starts from pretty low revs and continues till red-line. There is power available at all gears and at any revs. As I was telling Robi - The car looks fast even when its parked. :D

As pointed out by Robi, the stock car runs out of steam way before the redline is neared. The mid range in the stock car is fantastic! its what we all love. Now take that mid-range, multiply it a little and spread it across the range. That's the difference, the big one at least. I can easily tell in my car when the redline is coming up, the power curve kind of flattens, but in this one you need to look at the rev range - That look for those of us who are familiar with the stock is definitely going to take you by surprise. Representing this car by numbers (300 BHP etc) does not do justice to the car. You do not have to try to hard with this car. It is truly effortless and relaxing to do great speeds and climb there in no time. For instance, lets say you want to climb from 100 to 140 - Not spirited but still in good times, the engine makes you feel like its just doing a part time.

One more thing that needs special mention - Brakes. Even the slightest shadow of either of your feet - the car stops. I love the feel and it bites really well. The car just stops - No drama at all. Brilliant!

I must say this, but I really like the way Robi has gone about getting the car done - It is inspirational - Every important aspect - Suspension, brakes, engine has been done with a key balance in mind.

Looking forward to our next convoy mode!

Quote:

Originally Posted by robimahanta (Post 2952259)

Image of the engine bay. Theres hardly any difference from stock as the turbo/manifold/intercooler/DV are not visible. Besides I didnt do any intake work, so no fancy colored hoses around.

I guess that's the beauty of the upgrade. I personally like it this way. Keep it stock looking under the hood. Even if one goes for those silicon hoses, go for the ones that looks like stock [read as Black], thanks for taking the time post it.

Quick Question to you Mate - Now that you have reduced the ride height - What is the effect on the GC ? I am sure the handling is 2x the fun.

Also looks like you have retained your stock Air Intake, did peter not recommend a Cold air intake ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by azeemhafiz (Post 2952698)
I remember writing about how I could not stop grinning when I drive my vRS. I got off Robi's car after some sweet driving and orchestrating one of the sweetest sounding symphonies with the exhaust note (that I totally love) about 12 hours ago - And I am still grinning, a smile pasted wide on my face when I think about the drive or even when I recall our return convey mode back to Bangalore. Sweet!

Thank you very much aseem, I know the feeling - i had the pleasure of driving fellow bhpian Ardy's 220 bhp peted avatar of the older VRS, i know and can relate to the feeling. Loved your narrative on the comparison. Thanks for your time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motoringlover (Post 2952846)
Quick Question to you Mate - Now that you have reduced the ride height - What is the effect on the GC ? I am sure the handling is 2x the fun.

Also looks like you have retained your stock Air Intake, did peter not recommend a Cold air intake ?

Well I had lowered the car before doing the Stage 2 upgrade, so I am kind of used to it now. Its around 30mm lower than stock with stiffer sports springs and Bilstein shocks. The rear sway bar is also an uprated one. So the handling is actually even more than 2X the fun :)

I just need to be careful over the unscientific bumps and not overload the car. Even if it scrapes, its usually the plastic vent like cover in front of the rear wheels.

About the CAI, I discussed it with Peter and he felt its needed only for the Stage 3/3+.

How are the alloys coping in bangalore? I am running 17'' borbet LV5's on my laura with PS3 rubber. One highway trip itself has been quite difficult on the alloy. Had to get straightening done.

Robi,

Your Car appears fantastic mate :thumbs up Could you please take out some time & post few pictures? (out on the road types) Just the right mods to stand out, subtle yet classy.

And do I get to see this Car anytime soon? (any plans of coming over to Guwahati driving in it?)

Thanks for sharing your experiences :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by megazoid (Post 2964449)
How are the alloys coping in bangalore? I am running 17'' borbet LV5's on my laura with PS3 rubber. One highway trip itself has been quite difficult on the alloy. Had to get straightening done.

What about the PS3? Did it cope up well? I'm quite worried about my set coming up with a bubble or something.