Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2013, 16:17   #166
BHPian

re: Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!

Lets just say right now with that powerband, this car can smoke anything below 55-60lacs provided both are rolling, and his tires hold up.

My concern with most tunes available for the stock turbo is that they are peaky midrange, they give u that WHOAAAA Feeling with great peak torque.

That's great for daily driving cars, but for my use primarily for BIC Track days, I need a flatter consistent torque delivery for me to power thru and out of corners. Cant do much with 100NM torque at 6k and 350nm at 3.3k. Granted its great for daily use, but for my use I will need a custom tune without the peaky curve. Dont think that is readily available at Pete's now. Will need to have a chat with him on that one.

Off topic, the B14s are getting installed as we speak!! :-)

Last edited by prithwi-81 : 25th February 2013 at 16:20.
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 17:07   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Lets just say right now with that powerband, this car can smoke anything below 55-60lacs provided both are rolling, and his tires hold up.

My concern with most tunes available for the stock turbo is that they are peaky midrange, they give u that WHOAAAA Feeling with great peak torque.

That's great for daily driving cars, but for my use primarily for BIC Track days, I need a flatter consistent torque delivery for me to power thru and out of corners. Cant do much with 100NM torque at 6k and 350nm at 3.3k. Granted its great for daily use, but for my use I will need a custom tune without the peaky curve. Dont think that is readily available at Pete's now. Will need to have a chat with him on that one.

Off topic, the B14s are getting installed as we speak!! :-)
Congrats on the B14's, should be great for the track. I drove a car with B16's and it felt quite stiffer than mine. The GC though at the max ride height setting was same as mine. The only thing was that you could lower it by another 20mm or so, making it around 110mm GC (would be nice on a track but not in the city)

Regarding the tune, I am sure Peter can come up with a map for you based on your requirements with inputs from the Custom Code,UK guys.

I dont know the exact torque range for the stock turbo after a remap as I did not dyno the car after the stage 1 remap but with my K04 hybrid turbo and stage 2 remap I am still making over 300Nm at 5700rpm.
Planning to dyno upto 6k rpm after getting the revised map soon.

Last edited by robimahanta : 25th February 2013 at 17:09.
Old 25th February 2013, 23:55   #168
BHPian

Ofcourse Pete can. Had a long chat with him regarding this, and we are measuring how the car would do on the track with different mods on the car.

First Track Day was stock everything with just a non resonated TBE. Best time 2.53. Next session we both debated and thought it best just to go at it with the B14s, and see how much time i can shave off with a good suspension and stock tune.

In the meantime Pete is talking to CC guys to get a good flat powerband map going. Let see if they can whip something up.

Depending on how long it takes, the next Track Day is planned either with wider wheels and tires, or a Stage 1+ Tune+Downpipe on Stock Rims n Tires. Personally I really want to see how much you can extract out of the stock tune with bolt ons (Suspensions/exhaust/rims and tires), before I touch the downpipe or the ECU, both when combined give a huge bump to power.

Suggestions welcome...
Old 26th February 2013, 06:28   #169
BHPian

Quote:

Depending on how long it takes, the next Track Day is planned either with wider wheels and tires, or a Stage 1+ Tune+Downpipe on Stock Rims n Tires.
Any particular reason why you are sticking with the stock rims and tires? I find the Goodyear NCT5's just a little under adequate for the stock car on heavy braking and cornering, especially while exiting corners. Based on my experience the gap between a stock tire (the ones that we have) v/s a better one goes up exponentially as you enhance the performance mods. Would the poor NCT 5's be able to do justice to the suspension mods?

After having known and read almost all your posts on T-BHP, I am certain there is an awesome / very good explanation behind this motive - Just cant wait to hear it
Old 26th February 2013, 09:36   #170
BHPian

Put simply, am charting out the most performance per $ path for you folks. The rims and tires faired pretty well in the first session, even under hard breaking, while the suspension was the weakest link. Power was the second weakest, but thats a mod that will certainly void your warranty so it will be last.

Changing rims and tires would also affect the acceleration, in a negative way, if the new setup weighs more.
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 20:00   #171
BHPian

Got you a little present my friend. Stock vs K04 Turbo Graph.
This is what you should be shooting for. Note this isnt WHP. Its at the flywheel.

Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-859089_10151515762745281_263113478_o.jpg

Last edited by prithwi-81 : 26th February 2013 at 20:08.
Old 27th February 2013, 01:50   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got you a little present my friend. Stock vs K04 Turbo Graph.
This is what you should be shooting for. Note this isnt WHP. Its at the flywheel.
Doesnt look much less choppier. Its across a wide rpm hence the bumps are not magnified. Besides I believe this is a 97 octane plot which in my case is also quite good. Just looking forward to sort out the dip near 4500rpm with regular fuel and I am done
Old 7th April 2013, 18:21   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Just back from the 50K routine service at Pete's.

Work done:

Oil changed/engine flushed
Fuel/Air/Oil/Pollen filters changed
Detailing done
Brake pads cleaned
Squeaks and rattles sorted (hardly any were there)
Throttle body cleaned
Air Mass Flow Meter Changed
Fine tuned the map

Got a boost gauge to keep track of the boost pressures
Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-_dsm6160.jpg

Peter's did a small photo shoot (photo credits: Peter Chacko)
Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-49kservice2.jpg

Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-service49k.jpg

The car is ultra smooth now and throttle response is crisp.

Setback:
On my way back, the right rear tire got punctured. Checked and saw a huge metal piece lodged inside. I will have to replace the tire as it seems unrepairable. Lucky I had the spare with same alloy and size.

Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-tyrepunct.jpg

Last edited by robimahanta : 7th April 2013 at 18:24.
robimahanta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 16:17   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-image3845387471.jpg

Did a mushroom patch for the punctured tyre. The tyre guys have assured that it will be fine. I have made it the stepney to be safe. Total damage : Rs 200

PS: Cost of new Michelin PS3 225/45 17 around 12-13k. I got the best quote from BHPian Nikhil of Madhus Tyre Store, Bangalore
robimahanta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 19:46   #175
BHPian

Have 4 michelins with me. Your size. Done 1500km. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 10th April 2013, 20:59   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post

Did a mushroom patch for the punctured tyre. The tyre guys have assured that it will be fine. I have made it the stepney to be safe. Total damage : Rs 200

PS: Cost of new Michelin PS3 225/45 17 around 12-13k. I got the best quote from BHPian Nikhil of Madhus Tyre Store, Bangalore
Where did you get this mushroom patch done?
Old 11th April 2013, 16:27   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
Have 4 michelins with me. Your size. Done 1500km. Let me know if you are interested.
Sure. I will let you know. PM me your expected cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Where did you get this mushroom patch done?
Sagar,

I got this done at "The Tyre Centre "(Bridgestone/Michelin) located in the outskirts of Salem. Its a huge place with very good machines for alignment, balancing (Hunter, Bosch etc). Besides the guys working there are pretty proficient in their job.

Check http://www.tyrecentre.in/ for the exact location

PS: If you are not able to get it done in Bangalore then you can drop the tyre at my place in Bangalore and I ll get it done next time I am in Salem. I travel Bangalore-Salem almost three to four times a month. PM me for further details.

Last edited by robimahanta : 11th April 2013 at 16:30.
Old 20th May 2013, 09:49   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Got an opportunity to drive robimahanta’s car yesterday. Robi, azeemhafiz and myself met up to discuss possible mods that we could do on our cars. Mod potential on these Skoda TSi’s seems to be limitless! Love the way Robi has gone about the whole thing in a phased manner, with a lot of thought put into the whole process. Although I was seeing Robi’s car in the flesh for the first time, it somehow felt very very familiar, having drooled over it several times on T-BHP . At first we went for a short spin in HSR layout. I was able to floor the throttle for a brief moment and the turbo kick just blew me away. Although I expected his car to be very harsh in terms of the ride, surprisingly it wasn’t. The ride was certainly on the firm side, but not uncomfortably so. Only problem was with the GC, the unscientific humps requiring some skill and patience to negotiate.

We later went for longer drive on more open roads and I was able to get much better feel of the car. The turbo in this car kicks in a little later than the stock car, but boy when it does, the car simple takes off. The screaming engine, the unbelievable amount of torque, the tight suspension, the superb brakes all combined to give me an experience I am not going to forget in a hurry.
Santoshbhat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 01:27   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Some of the recent mods carried out by vagtune.in. Having done all my mods at Pete's I was a tad apprehensive to try out some other firm. But decided to do some plug and play cosmetic OEM fittings and ended up being quite impressed by the quality of the work as well as the parts. There were no errors at all in the VCDS scan after fitting all the stuff.

Multifunction steering wheel:
The steering wheel with perforated leather and thumb contours is a joy to use and gives the interiors a rich feel. The steering audio and BT controls work perfectly even with my Caska system.

Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-mfsteering.jpg

Cruise control:
I know its something crazy in a MT car but it comes in handy in my frequent highway trips. Since I was already getting the MF steering module, I just needed the stalk and some VCDS coding to activate cruise control.

The cruise control stalk

Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-cruisecontrol.jpg

For the Bangalore guys, cruising at 80kph on the Elevated Tollway is so convenient.

Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-cruise.jpg

Auto Lights:
Luckily my Tsi has rain/light sensor from the factory so it was just a matter of replacing the switch to activate auto lights. Its a cool feature. Besides you can now activate get the coming home/leaving home lights option.

Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-autolightswitch.jpg

LED tail lamps:
Initially I thought these would be cheap chinese imitations but these are actually the original chinese octavia tail lamps (VW Shanghai). There are no Canbus errors whatsoever.

Its pretty difficult to get a proper image of the LED's in camera. It really looks pretty cool in real life.

Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-skodaledtaillamp2.jpg

The new Skoda logo goes well with the black and white theme I have got going in my car.

Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-_dsm6673.jpg

Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI on Team-BHP. EDIT: Now sold!-rearlogo.jpg
robimahanta is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 13:14   #180
BHPian

Very nice.. I've been considering the VRS Steering wheel on the TSI as well ;-).

How much did it cost you for the Wheel (PM Source and Cost Please) and did you also need a new airbag unit. From my initial inspections the VRS steering airbag unit appears to be the same as the TSI steering airbag unit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks