Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2010, 17:25   #241
BHPian

Accessories cost

Prem:

Questions for you, did you upgrade your car with the following accessories? Please share the cost details.

1) Sunfilm
Dealer quoting 4200 for 3M, the car comes with 20% tinted so have to choose 70% VST to bring it to 50% VST. Not sure which range it is (CR or CS)

2) Nudgeguard:
'Extreme' brand, costs 10K.

3) Lamp 90/100:
Philips brand. The relay part is costly and the overall package could cost anywhere from 2000 - 3000.
Old 5th October 2010, 18:42   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3) Lamp 90/100:
Philips brand. The relay part is costly and the overall package could cost anywhere from 2000 - 3000.

Pray where did you get this estimate from?
Old 5th October 2010, 20:50   #243
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Pray where did you get this estimate from?
Attaboy Luke, it doesn't cost more than INR 700.00 if I remember correctly. And is freely available all over the place.
Old 6th October 2010, 01:14   #244
BHPian

Sgmitr,

Are you getting any further discounts on top of Corporate offer? If not, then i must say it is a poor negotiation. Try to get more cash discount against the accessories. The cheap mats,idol,perfume are not worth it.

On the additional accessories,
Take your time on the nudge guard. You might get into parking issues. You may look at playboy at ~12k for the same.
Get the sun film at one of the shops in JC road. If you go for it at the dealer, then all they do is call up one of these shops and fit them at dealer service centre.I suggest sunfilm which is 20 instead of 35% VST.
On the Headlamps, you can do with 90/100 and relay with a small drill and seal it. get in touch with Happywheels.It costs 1k only. My advice is, go for Osram/phiiips perfomance lamps which are 1k but no drill/no extra wiring. This is not as effective as 90/100 but good for city drive. you may go for hella driving lamps (~10k) if you get nudge guard.

Finally, i didn't get to read your entire thread but if you are deciding between Vx 4*4 and Vx 4*2, then Gx 4*4 is the winner. VFM. You want to take it to the beach and terrains sometime don't you?
Old 6th October 2010, 07:51   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
Are you getting any further discounts on top of Corporate offer? If not, then i must say it is a poor negotiation. Try to get more cash discount against the accessories. The cheap mats,idol,perfume are not worth it.
Yes, loyalty bonus 15K + cheapo mats.

Quote:
Take your time on the nudge guard. You might get into parking issues. You may look at playboy at ~12k for the same.
I will skip it, not required immediately, let me get used to driving this big one first.

Quote:
Get the sun film at one of the shops in JC road. If you go for it at the dealer, then all they do is call up one of these shops and fit them at dealer service centre.I suggest sunfilm which is 20 instead of 35% VST.
I thought about that too, I got my Palio's done by the guy in Koramangala and at my parking lot. I assume that the svc center has a clean surrounding for this activity and hence negotiating for this with the dealer itself.

Quote:
On the Headlamps, you can do with 90/100 and relay with a small drill and seal it. get in touch with Happywheels.It costs 1k only. My advice is, go for Osram/phiiips perfomance lamps which are 1k but no drill/no extra wiring. This is not as effective as 90/100 but good for city drive. you may go for hella driving lamps (~10k) if you get nudge guard.
You mean to say the Night Breaker kind with the same wattage? Otherwise, where is this drill done? Will PM HW.

Quote:
Finally, i didn't get to read your entire thread but if you are deciding between Vx 4*4 and Vx 4*2, then Gx 4*4 is the winner. VFM. You want to take it to the beach and terrains sometime don't you?
[/quote]
You may have seen my updates further, I did go for 4x4. Pics already posted in the safari pics thread. Car is waiting at the dealer place ready to pick it up. Just waiting on the SBI folks to finish their part.
Old 6th October 2010, 12:57   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
You may have seen my updates further, I did go for 4x4. Pics already posted in the safari pics thread. Car is waiting at the dealer place ready to pick it up. Just waiting on the SBI folks to finish their part.
Mahesh, Congratulations buddy !!! I dont know if I missed your pics OR somehow didnt realize that it was yours

Will check it out again and good luck.

Talking of Sunfilm, 4K and odd reasonable and I got it for free and it was not 3M, but some other brand with which TATA or CONCORDE always recommends which they claim better than 3M and as in paper, it was costing 7K or 8K.
I agree and recommend you strongly to get it done in the dealership and incase if its not done properly or you see some air bubbles, it would be replaced without much hassles or you dont need to drive to a different location to do that.

Good luck on taking delivery of your beast. Let me know if you need any help around.

Prem.
Old 6th October 2010, 14:09   #247
BHPian

Quote:
You mean to say the Night Breaker kind with the same wattage? Otherwise, where is this drill done? Will PM HW.
Yes. Night breaker. I had it on mine. Good option if you like Hella driving lights going forward. Go through HW thread for 90/100 config

Quote:
Like i have said before, I didn't go through your thread properly. Nevertheless, Good choice and money well spent

Last edited by blackbeast : 6th October 2010 at 14:14.
Old 6th October 2010, 16:53   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You may have seen my updates further, I did go for 4x4. Pics already posted in the safari pics thread.
Congraulations! How much did it cost you on-road (with/without the discounts)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Talking of Sunfilm, 4K and odd reasonable and I got it for free and it was not 3M, but some other brand with which TATA or CONCORDE always recommends which they claim better than 3M
It is Llumar - I got it done by Concorde when I took delivery. They did a fairly decent job - a 9/10 I'd say. Saved me the hassle of going to another shop and spend some more time.
Old 3rd November 2010, 14:34   #249
BHPian

Recently, In one of the shopping mall in Bangalore, shot this. Some [Safari lovers] may like it
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari VX 4X4 - 2010 variant-safari-safari.jpg  

kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2010, 18:07   #250
BHPian

Free service check/camp

I am just back from the Concorde service station in Hosur Road and almost, fresh memories.

First of all, this is NOT my regular service timing. I was called for "Free service camp" a couple of weeks ago and I couldnt make it that day for some personal reasons. This Free service camp included "Standard check up" & Body wash.

The Service Manager "Prem" [yes, happened to be the same name] was kind enough to say "No problem sir, Come on any week day and I will be able to do more things for you - all free than on the day of camp".

I chose today, Wednesday, Nov 17 and I had an holiday for Bakrid. But, good that Concorde motors work !

I had a couple of [small] issues too to address along with the check up.

1 - Looks like someone hit me [2 or 4 wheeler] in the rear due to which the rear bumper has come out a bit.
2 - A coin went in and while taking it, I broke the center console ash-tray.
3 - Somehow, for the past 1 week, I felt the front passenger side tire just gets dropped to ground level while passing a nice, sloppy bumps without applying brake and in 25/30 KMPH.

I took this list and all fixed well.
Free check up done and coolant topped up as well.
Body wash + Interior vacuum + Under Body wash done very well.

As per Prem's comment, the Under body wash couldnt be done to the vehicles for time-constraint that day. So, he said "You chose the right day"

Overall, very nice experience. I just stayed all day [starting 9:30 AM till 4:00 PM]. Completed the "Times of India" paper in full and checked up my office mail a couple of times and all settled for the final test drive.

Finally, the bill amount - 0.00

Things got done
Standard Check up and coolant top up [Mechanic said oil levels are OK and top up not needed]
3 Problems that I reported - Resolved.

I was happy and was not able to recreate the reported problem in my test drive and so happy then !
Wash quality & Interior vacuum - 10 out of 10 according to me.

One more thing - Me sitting with other car "drivers" in the same customer/waiting lounge is fine because, according to me, they are also representing a [TATA] product/customer. Also, I dont mind if they have free coffee & Tea though they do ask/serve free coffee/tea every 1 or 2 hours.
And btw, I am not a communist

So, the only feedback that I have told Prem was to improve the environment of the sitting lounge with better ambiance.

Prem.
Old 17th November 2010, 19:04   #251
Senior - BHPian

Hi Kavi, even I was invited to a free service checkup camp by Prerana last sunday, unfortunately I could not go, it is a nice gesture from Tata to hold frequent checkups, a couple of times a person from Prerana Old Madras Road has come home to do a free check up, this too is part of their service.

Quote:
3 - Somehow, for the past 1 week, I felt the front passenger side tire just gets dropped to ground level while passing a nice, sloppy bumps without applying brake and in 25/30 KMPH.
What was the issue here and how was it solved?
Old 17th November 2010, 19:09   #252
Senior - BHPian

Nice report Prem. I am really surprised the way TATA Service Center works and they rectify each and every reported problems religiously. I do not know why there is so much bashing about after sales support of TATA. They are ready to serve you at any points. Remember Tanveers issue. TATA Service Engineer came to attend Tanveer's Safari issue on bus from 400 KMs.

TATA Service has improved really improved. In recent report from JD Power CSI Tata ranked fifth position way above Mahindra. Fiat service which is managed by TATA ranked #2

http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/JD...10214-icsi.pdf

Quote:
One more thing - Me sitting with other car "drivers" in the same customer/waiting lounge is fine because, according to me, they are also representing a [TATA] product/customer. Also, I dont mind if they have free coffee & Tea though they do ask/serve free coffee/tea every 1 or 2 hours.
I am overwhelmed with you humane touch. I am also in same league as of you. It does not matter sharing space with drivers/customers in waiting lounge. They are also working to feed their family and no work is big or small.
Old 17th November 2010, 21:58   #253
BHPian

Quote:

So, the only feedback that I have told Prem was to improve the environment of the sitting lounge with better ambiance.

Prem.
Great experience report there prem. I also don't mind sitting with others in the waiting room. For ex: when I visit the BMW dealer, I do sit with everyone else. The funny part is that I own a used 2003 330xi. However I see there the guys driving in the latest 7 series, 6 series chilling in the lounge. So you were right on. As long as the ambiance is good and everyone behaves decent I don't think there is any reason to complain and I don't think communism has anything to do with it
Old 17th November 2010, 22:29   #254
BHPian

Quote:

Well, I suppose most other brands also have "drivers" (paid drivers) at the service centre customer lounge. Ok, but Concorde might have more taxi drivers than white board drivers. That should be fine as such for anyone. The real thing that has to be taken care is cleanliness and upkeep of the place.

Btw, the Dairy Circle Concorde is short of showroom floor space as well. It perhaps has just enough space for showcasing Fiat products alone.

Last edited by LobsterB : 17th November 2010 at 22:33.
Old 26th January 2011, 14:44   #255
BHPian

10K KM update

In the last 2 weeks, had 2 trips to Chennai [from Bangalore], hence completed 10K in ODO and currently around 11.3K.
Also, completing 1 year in another 20 days with my Safari. Wow !!! Time really flew away with this.

Positives, not that none mentioned these before, still its my thread
1 - Road presence
2 - Great driving comfort, Didnt feel tired/fatigue after all the drives that I had [all my drives were 350 KM one-way with 1 break, mostly in the A2B b/w Hosur-Krishnagiri].
3 - Very comfortable in managing around 120 KMPH speed, beyond which not at all necessary. Maximum I reached was 150 KMPH with my uncle/aunt in the middle row. They are usually scared of speed, but they were really comfortable while I touched my top speed. I accept, the vehicle is NOT in driver's control, for that matter, most [or all] vehicles wont be in driver's control in the speed beyond 120/130 KMPH.
4 - The drive I liked the best till date - Up & Downhill of Tirupati and the Yelagiri hills. Just awesome and it was a "cruising" safari in 3rd Gear + 30/40 KMPH in uphill and controlled within 30 KMPH while in downhill.
5 - Observation on parking - As per company statement "Safari makes its own road", but I realised that Safari creates its own parking too ! Yes, I parked my Safari where I wanted - Stones, small bush, uneven road surfaces, no road surfaces, anywhere/everywhere. Please understand I still need about 15 ft X 7 ft physical [real estate] space for parking.
6 - My daughter really likes this, some times, more than me ! And I guess, my second daughter too started liking it seems. If not, she wouldnt have slept in her [car] seat for about 5 out of 6 hours in the last drive from Chennai. She is 1.5 months old and I wasnt too comfortable in taking the new born for such a long drive, but, I am now convinced that Safari can make these kind of travel a comfort one. May be, most of the SUV's would do.
7 - [I dont know how many understands or care for this] Safari's Alpine DVD player is equipped with DTS support too which is NOT a very usual for a stock or after market DVD players for automobiles. I have a lot of custom-made Audio DTS CD's that plays well in this player. The only change I did was to connect my boxed 6X9 Xplod speakers placed in the trunk and this produces very good quality/deep sound and some [who has good knowledge on sound specs] in my office initially thought I have a SW And I should say that the bass from XPLOD's are really balanced & complimented by the stock tweeters in the front.

Niggles/Problems [again, not that others didnt tell these yet]
1 - Rear Door sound is back after 9 months. But, this time, I had been to a village very frequently while I was in Chennai. So, I was very much expecting some sound from the rear door. Need to fix this up in my 1 yr service.
2 - Power loss in 1-1.5K RPM in 3rd gear - For a change, I didnt get this even once in the last 2 weeks. May be, its bcoz I was in Chennai and does the weather [hot climate in Chennai] matters ? I need to monitor this for some more time.
3 - For the last 2 months, the whipper liquid is not being sprayed out in front windshield and seems like some block in that pipe, need to check up in the next service. I think, this is one-odd problem that I got this from rest of other Safari owners.

On the whole, very satisfactory 1st year with my Safari and am just praying that Safari gets more attractive after the launch of Merlin without the spare wheel in the rear.

Just before crossing the 10K mark, I signed up for the Gold club AMC contract [3 year, 35K KMs]. I am waiting for those booklets, etc ... Will keep this thread updated once I receive them.

Nothing changed in its look, so, no updated pics !

Prem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks