Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2010, 19:42   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
If you got your engine/chasis number it means your vehicle was already made. Then why is delivery taking so long? There is definitely something wrong here. If you vehicle is ready, it should be shipped to the dealer in about 10 to 14 days. Tata definitely owes you an explanation for this.
I think, you are mixing up. Arjit got his Safari in a week's time and his case is closed It's Bose who hasnt got any idea of his vehicle delivery after a month time since booking (with an advance amount only).

Anyway, as I put in above, lets defer discussing this further as its neither the right section nor the right thread !

Prem.
Old 8th March 2010, 19:53   #77
BHPian

as said by prem, i got my vehicle in a week and its bose who is kept in the dark regarding his vehicle.
Old 10th March 2010, 19:13   #78
BHPian

Did some enquires/running-around in the last few days.
TML says end of March for me to get the truck.
Unofficial contact at Pune says that the Safari assembly line has had issues in the last few weeks; ~1000 backlog. But things are moving now.
Will start a thread on ownership reports once I get the truck.
Old 10th March 2010, 21:48   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bose View Post
Did some enquires/running-around in the last few days.
TML says end of March for me to get the truck.
Unofficial contact at Pune says that the Safari assembly line has had issues in the last few weeks; ~1000 backlog. But things are moving now.
Will start a thread on ownership reports once I get the truck.

finally some information ! not long brother !
Old 16th March 2010, 00:58   #80

Plans....!!

Dear Kaviprem, firstly congrats on your new beast!!

I've been driving a 3.0 Dicor 4X2 LX (El Toro!!) for the last 4 1/2 years, and have clocked 72K on it by now. Extremely satisfied with it!!

Just wanted to ask you, could you be able to compare the 3.0 vs the VTT 2010 model in terms of drivability & user satisfaction? Am planning to upgrade, & coincidentally, love the Cycus Grey VX 4X4 that you have chosen, in fact have zeroed in on it for some time now!

Once again, many congrats and many happy miles of comfortable, pleasurable driving to you!!

Scorpindio
Old 16th March 2010, 07:16   #81
BHPian

Scorpindio, Thanks !!!
I havent driven any of the older safari (DICOR 3.0 nor TCIC 3.0). So, I cant compare them. I just finished up 400 KM of drive (Bangalore-Mysore) and am still preparing its draft to update it here with my experience and observation on my vehicle.

I asked about the dealer on the new generation Safari (which is caught testing all around Pune), but, the only response I got so far is 2010 Minor Face Lift model is the only update to Safari in 2010. Other than this, its only the launch/marketing of Aria. Nothing more. May be, if you have better sources to ask for, see if its worth waiting for "ALL NEW" Safari later this year. One notable difference that everyone pointed (I think, my memory serves me good here) is that 17" Alloys whereas the current 2.2 VTT comes with 16".

Prem.
Old 16th March 2010, 08:44   #82
BHPian

Bangalore-Mysore drive

First long drive - around 400 KM.

Overall Feel
Good, Comfortable ride in all kinds of road where we had been in last 2 days.

Stats
  • Passenger Load - Full - 7 adults + 1 kid.
  • Sitting - 3 adults in middle row and 2 adults + 1 kid (4 yrs) in back (side seats) with a couple of small bags.
  • Luggage - Not much since its only 1.5 days trip to Mysore.
  • Max speed touched (infact controlled within) - 100/110 KMPH.
  • Gear - Speed - max RPM - 4-90-2500, 5-100-2200. Both 4th & 5th gear at these speed - Highly comfortable and super smooth on highways.
  • Milleage - Need to check up in few more days when I fill up the tank.
+ve's
  • Comfort level - No complaints from any of the passengers. Infact, 20 KM of "patchy" road b/w B-M highway and Brindhavan garden was super nice. All but me slept for that 30 mins drive !
  • Bumps - A couple of small bumps very nicely negotiated by its huge tyres + suspension.
  • Real time - Overtook a couple of Innovas in 2nd, 3rd & 4th gear with ease and I can definitely feel the power difference in 2nd & 3rd gear while just after "Bumps" or "almost" a stop.
Observation
Major
  • Power o/p with A/C blower - Huge power lag till it reaches ~1700 RPM with blower in speed 3. Also, considerable lag with A/C blower in speed 2 till ~1500. But, beyond these RPM's in these situation, vehicle just becomes LION and asking me where to go and how to go ??? Really, this is exactly what it means by its ROAR & PUSH.
  • For the above problem, I found a workaround of "tapping" the gas (accelerator) pedal slowly that increases the RPM very quick (step-wise) than flooring the pedal. I know, "flooring" is NOT a good thing to do. But, I am not sure if "tapping" is also a bad thing :( Any advice here ?
Minor
  • A/C - Slow fan speed in 2 and too noisy in 3rd. So, had to avoid it just for noise unless very needed (around mid-day).
  • Some minor rattling sound from under the seats if none sitting. Pretty sure, its typical Safari style, but nothing specific to mine Need to check it up in a day or 2.
  • Now, I am settled in operating the 1st gear successfully. So, its only the time to "get used to". Infact, my Marina's gear shift is slightly uncomfy now
  • I made a "soft" change to my rear seats by packing up the left over space with a hard baggage. On top of it, put a hard pillow to cover up the seat and the packing. So, the seat height is increased for better leg space & height and above all, my wife & my niece didnt complaint with that kind of cushioning. I will take a snap of that arrangement and share it here.

Thanks and TBHP has always been a good source of information to me and hope, this update means something to few more

Prem.
kaviprem is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2010, 09:43   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@kaviprem:

The ac blower fan speed shouldn't have any bearing on the engine as the fan is purely electric without any load directly on the engine.

I have the same fan noise issue with my scorpio, anything above 1 is loud and I put it on only for the initial cooling when I get into the car or when it is very hot outside.
Old 16th March 2010, 10:14   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The ac blower fan speed shouldn't have any bearing on the engine as the fan is purely electric without any load directly on the engine
I think increasing the fan speed, also increases the duration and frequency of compressor switching, i.e. compressor switches on more frequently and stays on longer on a higher fan speed position.

As compressor is driven off the engine, it does load it. However, someone reported on this forum somewhere that Safari ECU senses the load on engine and cuts-off the AC (compressor) automatically when situation demands e.g. climbing hill etc.

-BJ
Old 16th March 2010, 11:46   #85
Senior - BHPian

The blower sound is indeed irritating at higher setting. Guess it is something to get used to!

Minor rattling from the seat - have faced it; it was from the bolts on the base of the seat. Some WD40 took care of it for some time. It seems to be re-surfacing now.

Can you explain what is the "tapping" you do? I do not see any set way of accelerating; as you said, one should not floor the accelerator, but gently increasing the acceleration would be just fine. If by tapping you mean acc-release-more acc-release... and so on, I would say no to that.

Would love to see what is the DIY you have done on the back seat.

@BJ: I have noticed this auto-cut-off of compressor in the Indica, but not in the Safari. Well, to be honest, I did not face a situation where I have floored the Safari as I have done the Indica.

But, IMO, I think the Safari's engine had enough power in it to handle the compressor load also, without requiring a auto-cut. So, wouldn't be surprised if this was not present in the Safari.
Old 16th March 2010, 12:24   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Can you explain what is the "tapping" you do? I do not see any set way of accelerating; as you said, one should not floor the accelerator, but gently increasing the acceleration would be just fine. If by tapping you mean acc-release-more acc-release... and so on, I would say no to that.

Would love to see what is the DIY you have done on the back seat.
But, IMO, I think the Safari's engine had enough power in it to handle the compressor load also, without requiring a auto-cut. So, wouldn't be surprised if this was not present in the Safari.
Happywheels, Thanks for acknowledging a few issues.
YES - its almost what you explained about "tapping". But, I get the RPM increased to required (around 1700) in about 3 taps. But, yes, I too guessed it's not a right thing to do.

Do you have the same problem of power lag in this combination - gear 2/3 + Blower 3 + highway ? If so, how do you circumvent ?

While writing about "tapping" itself, I realize its not a right thing to do :( But, its really irritating to loose power in a long drive like this.

Regarding the DIY, I will put the snap later today.
Old 16th March 2010, 13:15   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While writing about "tapping" itself, I realize its not a right thing to do :( But, its really irritating to loose power in a long drive like this.
why don't you shift down 1 gear?
never felt the need to "tap dance" on my highway rides
Old 16th March 2010, 16:08   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
...Do you have the same problem of power lag in this combination - gear 2/3 + Blower 3 + highway ? If so, how do you circumvent ?...
Do not recollect facing a lag, but then, if the speed (RPM) is low (which is when a lag will be notice), what I do is, as given below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
why don't you shift down 1 gear?...
Old 16th March 2010, 16:39   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
why don't you shift down 1 gear?
never felt the need to "tap dance" on my highway rides
True, when I have/had patience, I will come down 2 gear (not necessarily 1) and work it out. Its only when series of speed breakers are encountered in the highway which is really stupid to call those roads an highway

Forget about Bangalore-Mysore highway which is technically a state highway (SH17). We have bumps in Bangalore-Chennai (NH7 and NH207) while crossing every towns - Krishnagiri, Vaaniyambadi, Bargur, Vellore, etc ...

Prem.
Old 16th March 2010, 16:50   #90
Senior - BHPian

I doubt if Bangy gets hotter than Kerala. I have never used blower at the 3rd even when fully loaded. If I have people on rear ( adults at boot area too) the overhead is kept at level 2 speed and the main at level 2 speed. Cooling never was an issue.

But then, my car is heavily tinted for rear and back.

Safari never came with 17inch.

Most Viewed