Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2010, 16:56   #31
Senior - BHPian

She's a beauty, congrats man! The interiors look really nice!

Enjoy reclaiming your life!
Old 19th February 2010, 16:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

Nice color. Should be careful while in OTR's.
Seems to be a lot of chrome finish is added to the Mirrors, front grill etc.
Not a major changes apart from Speed dials & dark wooden finish etc.
Pls go for HS no. plate. Adds more character to the beast.
Old 19th February 2010, 17:47   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
.... Pls go for HS no. plate. Adds more character to the beast.
Yes, you listed almost all but the BS4 compliance. But yeah, it doesn't show up externally but for the sticker
Btw, I need to learn something here. What is "HS no. plate" ?

Prem.
Old 19th February 2010, 18:50   #34
BHPian

Initial observation

Folks, So far, I have driven around 30 KM with my Safari. I have few observation, but neither saying right or wrong.
  • I am coming from a Petrol vehicle, though Tata's Indigo Marina (GLS). So, it feels a slight difference while releasing the clutch pedal & pressing Gas pedal. I should be able to get rid of this minor one in a day or 2.
  • Gear-Speed-RPM
    • Idle - 0 KMPH - ~1000 RPM
    • 1st Gear - 10-20 KMPH - ~1000-2000 RPM
    • 2nd Gear - 20-40 KMPH - ~1500-2500 RPM
    • 3rd Gear - 30-50 KMPH - ~1500-2500 RPM
    • 4th Gear - 50-70 KMPH - ~2500 RPM
    • 5th Gear :( Didn't get a chance at all

Lower side of RPM in all the gear (except Idle & 1st) always have a good vibration in the vehicle. May be, my clutch/gas pedal is not syncing up. Can someone validate and suggest me something please ?
  • AC & Blower speed
    Blower speed inside the cabin seems SLOW to me. Air Conditioning (temperature) is good, but the blower speed of 2 is just around my Marina's 1. I hate going beyond 2 since it's too noisy and I cant listen to any music peacefully. Any comments/suggestion here please ?
  • Ride
    • On bumps (speed breakers), I have an habit of going slow (in 2G + Clutch pressed) and I am hearing a small noise which usually happens in old vehicles, like chassis scratching or something like that. I am not sure if I am explaining it correctly. Worst case, I will record & upload the audio
    • Whenever I press the Clutch pedal, I hear a TING sound. I think, its coming in the pedal itself since its very open and its very much around my left leg. I need to WATCH more closely than "hearing"

On the whole, while driving, it feels really up and above almost all other vehicles around except Bus and Tempo travelers.
Fortunately, I had an Endeavor coming along with me this evening and man o man, so much of difference in terms of sitting position. I didn't realize Safari seats would be this high !

Thanks to all of you who indirectly made me buy Safari with both + & - of the same. Though I have a greater bias on Tata Motors, I was thinking too much before buying Safari. Had a great debate and finally left with choosing b/w Heart & Brain like most other TBHP.
Finally, I went with "Heart" and here I am writing about my experience on Safari.

PS - Like someone suggested, I will upload some neat photos (after taking off plastic covers) in a few more days.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2010, 21:45   #35
BHPian

congrats kaviprem.
Is 2010 Safari only available with grey interiors or is their a choice of beige and grey interior.Did you find the quality of interiors better than the previous versions?
Old 19th February 2010, 21:51   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stable rock View Post
congrats kaviprem.
Is 2010 Safari only available with grey interiors or is their a choice of beige and grey interior.Did you find the quality of interiors better than the previous versions?
No color options - Grey Dash with a new Wood Center Console and Graphie/Red (kind of) dual tone seat & steering wheel.

Prem.
Old 20th February 2010, 06:30   #37
BHPian

Also, I would like to know if there is an DO's & Don'ts while driving Safari in initial days. Please share with me the same.

Thanks in advance, Prem.
Old 20th February 2010, 16:05   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Btw, I need to learn something here. What is "HS no. plate" ?

Prem.
thats high security number plates.
Old 23rd February 2010, 18:39   #39
BHPian

Finally, TML has updated its web with the new (2010 variant) brochure - http://www.safaridicor.com/downloads/eBrochure.pdf

PS - A Tata touch is there in page 3 of the above PDF

Prem.
Old 24th February 2010, 08:24   #40
BHPian

congrats kavi,

thats a really nice looking ride. i'm curious as to why tata decided to go back to the grey interiors....it should make for an interesting question to pose to the TATA think-tank (cue evil laugh!!!! )

this is the cycus grey right? i actually prefer the orvm in the same body color as before, because the chrome seems to add bling in areas that just do not need it. however, horses for courses as they say!!!

i have always liked the looks of the safari and the true test of how well it has aged is the fact that even today, the clean unfussy lines hold their own amongst MUCH more modern designs. sure it's showing some of its age, but come on - its a 10 year+ old design for crikes sake!

i'm glad the interior wood finish on the centre console has now become the darker shade of brown, because IMHO it looks a whole lot classier than what it used to be. PERIOD.

pls post some pics of what they have done to the seats, because i would again lean towards just a really nice dark brown leather on the seats to complement the centre console. i might be wrong, but thats only after i can actually see what it looks like at present.

however, i shall stop rambling and conclude by saying, 'well done and congratulations'. you have made a really good choice and may you enjoy her to the hilt. i know that i do..

tc and drive sane mano.
Old 24th February 2010, 10:30   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
congrats kavi,

...why tata decided to go back to the grey interiors

...this is the cycus grey right? i actually prefer the orvm in the same body color as before, because the chrome seems to add bling in areas that just do not need it. however, horses for courses as they say!!!

i have always liked the looks of the safari and the true test of how well it has aged is the fact that even today, the clean unfussy lines hold their own amongst MUCH more modern designs. sure it's showing some of its age, but come on - its a 10 year+ old design for crikes sake!

i'm glad the interior wood finish on the centre console has now become the darker shade of brown, because IMHO it looks a whole lot classier than what it used to be. PERIOD.

pls post some pics of what they have done to the seats, because i would again lean towards just a really nice dark brown leather on the seats to complement the centre console. i might be wrong, but thats only after i can actually see what it looks like at present.
tc and drive sane mano.
Thanks BTB (Hope the acronym is right !)

Interior - It looks good to me with Grey interiors compared to the earlier (some color, not sure).

Yes - Its Cycus Grey though my daughter calls it a BLUE which I mostly agree.

OVRM chrome - Yes, I am kind of neutral to both, but, in BLACK, Chrome just kicks !!! As a matter of fact, in both Cycus Grey and Black, OVRM says "Oh buddy, I am here".

I would have even preferred to have CHROME Alloys (as displayed in Auto Expo 2010). But, some (mass, I believe) feedback has gone into TML and they maintained the same brush/mate finish Alloys.

Central Wood - Wow ! Same here, I too didn't like the other wood finish and I was very happy to see that its changed in 2010 and I am given that.

Yes - I will put some interior close-up shots soon. I just cleaned up all those plastics, that was one heck of a job !!!

Prem.
Old 24th February 2010, 12:01   #42
Senior - BHPian

Prem,

Congrats on the buy. The best offering - comfort + 4x4!

And as for the facelift, not a big fan of all that chrome.

For your queries in post #34:
> The idling RPM should be less than 1000. Do check out the dashboard photos in my ownership thread to know my point of reference.

I feel that you are upshifting at a higher RPM. I have been able to upshift around 2k or slight less than that and drive comfortable. And do keep the RPM below 2k for the first 1000kms.

Vibration? Should not be there. Not sure why it is so. Would have blamed RPM, but your shifting is not on the lower side.

> The AC blower speed is a pain. This is similar to the wiper speed (which you will notice on the first rainfall you meet). Nothing much to do except live with it.

> Ting sound on clutching was there initially with my vehicle, but no longer present. Have noticed the same in few other new vehicles. But I hear this when I stand outside the vehicle and never inside.
Old 24th February 2010, 12:50   #43
Senior - BHPian

Every upshift deducts 500rpm; use this info if you always want to be in the powerband.
Old 24th February 2010, 13:04   #44
Team-BHP Support

The best way to drive this car is to upshift a notch below 2500rpm. so when you reach higher gear you are around 1900 or so,
I always follow this logic.
Lets say I am in gear "X".
If while driving RPM falls below 1500, I shift to X-1 if it rises above 23-2400, I shift to X+1
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2010, 19:26   #45
BHPian

Thanks TSK, JSK & HappyWheels, I will follow your suggestions and observe more.

HappyWheels, My TING sound - I can actually fell and hear it whenever I press. I dont think this should be any major issue, will check it out this weekend.

Prem.

Most Viewed