Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2010, 21:12   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
All right - Got the fuel tank filled up last evening. Here is the stat's update.

A/C - ~90% ON.
Total run - 567 KM (~ 250 KM Highway, Rest within City).
Had to fill - 52 liters

Mileage - 10.9 KM/Liter

Anyone having any observation here ?

Prem.
I own a GX 4x4 BS3.
Thats a decent mileage you have got. Till date, I have got between 11.5 and 13 with AC.
Old 20th March 2010, 23:14   #107
Senior - BHPian

Today's fill of diesel: took 54.93 liters and had covered 572kms; that is 10.4kmpl. The worst so far.

But do note that this was with pure city driving (mostly office runs) and also two separate instances, totaling to 2+ hours, of sleeping in the Safari with the a/c on, with my toddler in arms, when wife was shopping.
Old 21st March 2010, 06:43   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
.... and also two separate instances, totaling to 2+ hours, of sleeping in the Safari with the a/c on, with my toddler in arms, when wife was shopping.
Absolutely ... Most of us consider our "Safari" to be the next home

Prem.
Old 26th March 2010, 13:36   #109
BHPian

Black Beauty has finally landed at the stock yard.
Would be able to feast my eyes tomorrow morning.
It's gonna be a long night .. TGIF.
Old 26th March 2010, 19:04   #110
Senior - BHPian

Bose: You should have put these details in the 'booking thread'.

Regardless; A BIG CONGRATS! Get the vehicle on hand and start off your own thread. And yes, it will be a long night.
Old 26th March 2010, 19:48   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bose View Post
Black Beauty has finally landed at the stock yard.
Would be able to feast my eyes tomorrow morning.
It's gonna be a long night .. TGIF.
Bose - Finally, a real good news Enjoy the pain, but like you said, its Friday evening !

Quote:
Bose: You should have put these details in the 'booking thread'...
HW, I agree, but I know why he has put in here. Bose wanted me to know this good news and he had his valid doubt that I might not see that thread

Prem.
Old 27th March 2010, 20:25   #112
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations kaviprem on the new safari.

I have a query.How do we get to know the manufacturing date from the chassis number of the car.I mean how would i know whether the car is 2010 BS4 safari?

Also any pointers as to which one should look at during the delivery.I already have a VX 4X4 3.0Lt. which had loads of problems post delivery which were sorted out by staying at the workshop for the whole days but now it has been a very reliable vehicle and we plan to keep it for a long time to come.This will be the second VX 4X4 in the home.and since its the 2.2 which i have never experienced or driven i wanted to know what are some issues that i should be looking out for.
Old 27th March 2010, 21:53   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Congratulations kaviprem on the new safari.

I have a query.How do we get to know the manufacturing date from the chassis number of the car.I mean how would i know whether the car is 2010 BS4 safari?

Also any pointers as to which one should look at during the delivery.I already have a VX 4X4 3.0Lt. which had loads of problems post delivery which were sorted out by staying at the workshop for the whole days but now it has been a very reliable vehicle and we plan to keep it for a long time to come.This will be the second VX 4X4 in the home.and since its the 2.2 which i have never experienced or driven i wanted to know what are some issues that i should be looking out for.
I think, you should look into this thread for decoding VIN - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...dian-cars.html. Also, Safari VX in Metros are BS4 only and those come with a "BS4" sticker on rear bumper. Refer to one of my photos in page-2 please.

If you belong to 3L DICOR family for a long term, then, I dont think you should be concerned about its 2.2L variant at all It would definitely be a smooth sail for you. As far as I heard & know, all or most of 3.0L niggles have been fixed in 2.2L over a period of time and as far as I see, its highly settled now. So, you need not be worried at all.

A suggestion though - If you can wait for a while, why dont you think of Aria ? This (my thought) is basically coming from the very reason that you already possess a Safari and Aria should be coming out with advanced engineering, atleast in terms of electronics since mechanically, its the same as Safari 2.2L, ofcourse with few additions like Traction control + AWD +++

Think about it.

Prem.

Last edited by kaviprem : 27th March 2010 at 21:55.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2010, 22:43   #114
Senior - BHPian

The thing is that i need this car immideatly for work.I work in Uttarkashi at a hydroelectric power project.roads and terrain does get bad at times.this is where the safari pioneers.And the other car is for my father's use in dehradun so i can't have it with me in uttarkashi.
I was initially contemplating a Fortuner.But the waiting time coupled with the sheer lack of space in that car was a big put off.We're basically spoilt by the football field space in the safari. lol.

This and the fact that we can just through the safari in ruts and places without caring of humongous parts bill is a relief.Recently we put the safari to good use going through some outright nonexistant village roads in rains.The result of those few trips of a total of 2000kms was that the whole front wheel was moving in the lateral plane.I mean you could grab the wheel and shake it with your hands.lol.This needed the replacement of the entire front suspension.everything.all arms, bushes, damper,springs were replaced at a cost of 32K. thats nothing compared to the usefullness shown by it on those roads.

We have been using the safari since the past 7 years in this terrain.this present safari is our 5th one and the next 2.2 would be the 6th.

Everytime we buy it, it gives numerous problems.We really curse tata then.but then when it comes to comfort and the sheer realtime use of this car there is simply no contender to this car.Frankly i would never put a bmw,audi,range rover through this kind of use. But this is our work and we have to do it.

This is the reason that we've booked the car without even test driving it or seeing what changes have been made.I know it will stand by me when we put it through the run.

Also a fact that has remained constant in our ownerships of the safaris is the service part.every service has been bang on time with oil and oil filters replaced every 5000kms.And i don't care what the manual says.Our cars have lasted all this only because of the timely services and regular oil changes.
Old 29th March 2010, 09:45   #115
BHPian

Congrats kaviprem, though belated, on your new Safari!!!

Somehow skipped replying to your thread so long . The fuel consumption figures in city are good for both HappyWheels and you. Mine is a shade thirstier than the ones you guys own. Maybe its to do with the summer heat, hehe.

Cheers.
Old 30th March 2010, 17:41   #116
BHPian

Few references to "manual"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Congrats kaviprem, though belated, on your new Safari!!!...
Cheers.
Thanks Kamath.

Few references to Safari owners' manual
Online manual link - http://customercare.tatamotors.com/m...afariDicor.pdf

Page 77 - Running-in - Max speed
First 1500-1800 km of operation.
1st 20
2nd 40
3rd 65
4th 90
5th 110

Actually, there is no mention about RPM. But, there has been a lot of discussion around maintaining RPM < 2500 during the initial period.
But, looking at the max speed mentioned above and as far as I have driven so far, I can say its very comfortable speed limit for all gears and almost maintains 2500 RPM. So, this feels more practical speed

Page 78 - Upshift & Downshift
Gear Change Speeds during upshift
1-2 20
2-3 45
3-4 70
4-5 90

With my experience so far, this gear to speed happens just around 2700/2800 RPM. I mean, Reaching 70 km/hr in 3rd Gear takes it around 2700 RPM and the moment I press the clutch (releasing accelerator), drops down to ~1700 and change the gear to 4th.
Anything different for others or any better recommendation for better performance/FE ?

Page 92 - About fuel
High speed diesel conforming to IS 1460 or EN 590 or equivalent is recommended to be used as fuel.

Does this mean, premium fuel is recommended ? I remember hearing a consistent response from fellow Safari owners in TBHP and also from the Tata sales/services folks that the "regular" diesel is recommended.

Page 100 - Tyres
235/70 R 16 Radial with tube

Is this information out-dated ? Need to check up what I got !

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2010, 17:52   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Page 92 - About fuel
High speed diesel conforming to IS 1460 or EN 590 or equivalent is recommended to be used as fuel.

Does this mean, premium fuel is recommended ? I remember hearing a consistent response from fellow Safari owners in TBHP and also from the Tata sales/services folks that the "regular" diesel is recommended.
This is most likely due to the BSIV engine which requires low sulfur diesel. In older engines sulfur is added to the diesel as a lubricant. For BSIII engines regular diesel is better than speed/premium diesel. Looks like for BSIV premium diesel is required.
Old 30th March 2010, 18:00   #118
Senior - BHPian

They have not updated anything to BSIV. The data in the booklet is the same as was there earlier. The high speed diesel that is mentioned is the regular diesel that we get. (This has been discussed earlier in the Safari's issues thread; same doubt cast).

As for the tires - someone forgot to update it! You would have definitely got tubeless.
Old 30th March 2010, 18:42   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
This is most likely due to the BSIV engine ...
This is exactly what I thought too (INITIALLY).

Quote:
... The data in the booklet is the same as was there earlier....
As for the tires - someone forgot to update it! You would have definitely got tubeless.
Yes - the manual is NOT updated as I can see only for BS III fuel specification, but no mention about BS IV.
Tires - I hope so

Prem.
Old 30th March 2010, 18:58   #120
BHPian

Congrats on your BS4 Tata Safari. Great SUV. Its also my favorite. Make your own road!
My friend wants to buy a Safari, can you please let me know how much mileage do you get in City and Highway for this BS4?
Thanks.

Most Viewed