Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2010, 18:00   #1
BHPian

H- i10 my pleasure (Vanilla icecream flavour)

This is long overdue Initial Ownership report, I know!
But, here it is:

Flashback:
(Look at the top-left corner for the flashback scene) ::tongueout

I was tense, and really worried while zeroing in on our first family car.
I was thinking in between so many options, small cars-premium or mid-size entry level, or anything else, or wait for some more time! or some other launches..
But, one fine day (read: when I searched up tbhp forum on net - somewhere in November 09), I started to put in the options on paper! (yes!, I am not joking, I actually listed out all cars upto 6 lacs on 2 papers with their pros/cons, also tried to see if any beemer came in that segment - bad-joke)

Then, I worked up my side of the story, I wrote down my requirements, and expectations from the car (realistic ones!)

1. Family car:: Reliable-- 5 Star
2. I will drive sometimes:: Performance--4 Star
3. Maintenance be reasonable:: Maintenance/A5s--4 Star
4. I will take up some expenses on Fueling the car:: FE--3.5 Star+
5. Family may maintain the car/use it when I am not in town:: Manageable small car with space--4 Star

Overall, a small car, but with a little extra factor in it!
( I now see, that, many small-car-intending buyers come in a similar case!)

Contenders in the finale were:

1. MS:: Wagon / A-Star / Zen Estilo / Swift -P-
2. Hyundai:: i10 / Santro
3. Tata:: Indica Vista
4. Fiat:: Punto 1.2 / Palio

(the bold ones were seriously put in by me)

The ruling out of the contenders was in this sequence:
1. A5s
2. Performance
3. Reliability
4. FE

Then, in the final match, i10 won over Punto and Swift with its finesse, after sale service, interior-rich-feel, @ the offered price.

We decided on the Vanilla flavored Color unanimously! (No worries there)
The dealer too, tagged a car for us in the parent stockyard for me to do my PDI !! (He was really not expecting so much from someone in the town!)

Then, learning from the pros here, I too went ahead for the negotiation part!
I had the list, I had the PDI file, I knew the catches,( I had my dark goggles on, I was on my mission!)..
I laid down the Corp discount eligibility, free insurance, and mud-flaps, matting as "standard " accessories with the car ( I also cited and example, saying, Its like getting a mobile cover with a mobile! - that's so expected!)
The guy told me, he can either give me a AR coat or a Sunfilm.
I agreed finally on the AR coat since that is more a need than the sunfilm as I have mentioned before that I am from a coastal region/high humidity (living 2 km from the west coast).

So, getting the deal done at 4.27L OTR --Hyundai i10 1.2L (Kappa) M-series ( I mean a Magna )
with
Mudflaps+mattings &
Underbody AR

(plus 4K refund of Corp discount in a months time)

, I walked out of the showroom, with a word from the dealer to deliver by 12th Feb 2010.

12th Feb:

Morning, Time: 0930 hrs, I reach the showroom, to see my beauty waiting in the soft morning light, shining and longing to driven!

We complete the formalities, and get ready to roll out of the showroom, to get our dear car to her new home!
The dealer also had brought coconut and garland for Car's Pooja!
We did perform the Pooja, and thanked the Dealer for timely arrangement and left.

We headed straight to Fuel Station.
I was already getting nice attention! (enjoying!)
The Pump-Guy on seeing the new car, welcomed us, and asked If we are coming there for first time with the car,
On replying positive, he returns with a "Ganesha" idol as a welcome-gift from the Petrol Pump! (He said the white color really looks good!, To which I said "I know"- like Monica from FRIENDS..) We had smiles everywhere bouncing-re bouncing!

Same day, we went to our native place (50km trip), with my Parents and my Bro.

The trip was fine, and we all fell in love with the car.

Now:

Mum is very happy --New car, her fav color, feels good!!
So is dad------------ Good FE, good service, Low maintenance, Some of his colleagues at other HQs have bought Eras already and they now wish they had bought the Kappa like us!
Bro is happy--------- he is in college! he will be dropped to college in it sometimes now! that may score good, especially with a cute car!! Lolz
I am happy---------- Good 400cc more than what we would have bought by-default (Alto!), Nice performance, good interiors, and Cuter looks in the segments (Spark is cute too I agree, but -200cc to the i10)

Will post the pics tonight.

More experiences to follow.
---------------------------------------------
H-i10 My pleasure (read: Heighten my Pleasure!)
(also read: Hyundai-i10 >> My pleasure!!)
---------------------------------------------

Last edited by driverace : 19th February 2010 at 18:10.
Old 19th February 2010, 18:14   #2
BHPian

Congratulations driverace.. Enjoy your car and drive safely.
Old 19th February 2010, 22:08   #3
BHPian

Nice write up Buddy, Congrats! Waiting for the pics

Any plans for upgrade - Alloys, Tyres ?
Old 20th February 2010, 00:05   #4
BHPian

The Pics are here:

At the showroom

H- i10 my pleasure (Vanilla icecream flavour)-i101.jpg

Garlanded at home again!

H- i10 my pleasure (Vanilla icecream flavour)-i102.jpg

Good to go..
H- i10 my pleasure (Vanilla icecream flavour)-i103.jpg

Mods: request> please delete the pics from the previous post (was trying to edit the post due to the huge size of pics, but it said I had exceeded 20 mins time while editing! --My bad.
The right sized images are here.

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Dippy : 3rd March 2010 at 17:41. Reason: See note in your post
Old 20th February 2010, 01:45   #5
BHPian

Congrats man! i too bought a white i10 sportz last december. its very rare to find a white coloured i10. i10 is really a very nice car to own. put some alloys soon.
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:55   #6
BHPian

done 200 in 20 days

I am happy with my Vanilla i-10.
Falling in love with it, every time I take off the cover!, every time I look at the key, and as I think of driving it!
I even woke up early morning 5:30 am , just so that I could go on a drive !! (no exaggeration, I go to office @ 8am, and back home by 9pm or later!! too tired by then)

I have many queries with my sweet i-10, and if there is no other "Did-you-know / Some common problems with i-10"- thread, I intend to put it here in my ownership experience thread.

Q.01: There is a tick-tick sound at idling rpm i.e. factory set 800 rpm ( or upto 1100 rpm), what is this sound?
-It goes away when the car is doing higher revs, but immediately returns on rpms below 1100.
-I went to service centre, they say, Its there in all i10s !!, I checked a i10 sport there, it was in it too!! (it was brand new, Temp registration car)

Q.02: The gear shift from 1 > 2 is somewhat tougher and clickier than 2 > 3 , or 3 > 4 , or other shifts!
this seems to be experience of many i10-ians., and also, it seems to be solved either by 100-200 kms, or in the 1st servicing!
I am not clear about the problems-root.
Why is it so?

Q.03: How much heat on the gauge is normal say for 1 hr running with / without A/c ?

Q.04: The car idling rev go up when i engage full clutch - say while coasting over a speed breaker, or say when I am reversing, and I stop to take a look, but this occurrence is very random!
(My leg is definitely off the Accelerator while I find this happen)

The answer I found was, -Injectors may need cleaning.. (source -tbhp)
Another was -- Valve setting need to be done (some dirt getting stuck or such issue)

Any final answer/solution to this issue?

Current lessons :
Learning to parallel park with speed and perfection!
Drive/Stop/Drive Uphill w/o descending on slope
Completed lessons :
Shifting smooth
P.S. Mods, please delete the pics- HUge ones (sorry for the double post of pics)
Old 2nd March 2010, 23:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

congrats driverace - somehow I had missed your thread (blame office for that!)!

All the best with your car - you should have a wonderful time with the little monster!

Answers to your questions: (strictly IMO)

1. EPS motor?

2. Dunno - I drive an A/T

3. Its somewhere between quarter and halfway mark, more towards halfway.

4. May have a multitude of reasons - the rpm is set to increase momentarily when the clutch is engaged (as the crankshaft loses contact with the driveshaft), but idle speed control actuator should bring it down. Try checking the actuator, but I have seen this in many cars (also happens when you put the car in neutral).
Old 3rd March 2010, 10:43   #8
BHPian

thank you, blackasta!
@EPS motor,and actuator,I will go to my dealer, n let you know,how he analyses it.
my service #01 is due in 1 more month, but, if I see the problem early, I can approach him then and there, right?
will search up some more on net, before I knock my dealer's door!

P.S. blackasta,you were one of my inspirations in buying my i10,thanks for the info n wonderful feeds.
can't wait to get the polish set you got there!
Old 3rd March 2010, 10:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
thank you, blackasta!
@EPS motor,and actuator,I will go to my dealer, n let you know,how he analyses it.
my service #01 is due in 1 more month, but, if I see the problem early, I can approach him then and there, right?
will search up some more on net, before I knock my dealer's door!

P.S. blackasta,you were one of my inspirations in buying my i10,thanks for the info n wonderful feeds.
can't wait to get the polish set you got there!
you can approach the A.S.S anytime and any number of times you like within the warranty period.
Thanks for the compliments - others in team-bhp (tejas, jesal, svaid to name a few) were my inspirations.

And for the polish, try the ultra glo premium polish from waxpol. used it last weekend and I am all praise for it. The service station guys were amazed of how well water beading was happenning.
I shall post a pic of my entire collection (mostly desi stuff) soon.
Old 3rd March 2010, 17:30   #10
BHPian

With my i10, I begin my discovery of 4 wheel domain, practically!
I have driven Alto, 800, wagon-r. but I feel a sea of difference with my i10.

what i feel now is, let me run a stock car- core-basic!, and i am willing to learn, its capabilities, its limits, on default settings.
meantime i am reading through tbhp fellow mates, gurus!, to know what to mod/ how to get the best out of a mod, or what to expect from the mod
and with my driving, the i10 can evolve too!

driving is really a satisfaction, to my heart!
its just me and the car..

care.

Ace.
Old 8th March 2010, 16:07   #11
BHPian

Sun-day-drive

I love my i10 !!

This Sunday, I went on a drive. Long coastal highway-kind of roads.
Really enjoyed the ride.
7 AM Started off, with a generous wipe and dry polishing of the car. Straight went off the the Pump station to get my tyres checked for pressure (had not checked since getting it out of showroom! :oops)
filled upto 33 F & R ( Rear R - had 21 !! Woaahhh, rest 30s)

I had decided to do a couple of things Sunday:
Check the RPM Vs Speeds of the gears on my i10, For that I took the car on a coastal highway-road, and did my testing there
1st: 2000 : 15 kmph
2nd:2000 : 30 (+3~4 kmph)
3rd: 2000 : 45
4th: 2000 : 60 (shade less than 60, perhaps)
5th: 2000 : 70~72kmph

* that was with A/C on.
Furthermore, I do not find these following the general norm. as given by GTO, Rt and other honours in the forum (in various threads, e.g. 80kmph @ 2000rpm is common for Gear No. 5)

Q: 05: Where can I find the rpm :: speeds for gear(s) or such data/chart for stock Hyundai-i10, from where I can deduce the same?
The manual shows that, in the "Run-in" period, we need to drive between 2000-4000 rpm range (!) ~ As discussed in another thread, I conclude, that we can shift from 2000 and limit the rpm to below 4000.

Q: 06: Why does hyundai allow the revving of a new car upto 4000, (any reason except for its redline being 6500 ? - then it does follow the thumb rule of max rpm in run in around 50% or redline-)

Some pics of the trip attached:

H- i10 my pleasure (Vanilla icecream flavour)-fish-hook-eye.jpg
Lets go on a ride! what say?

H- i10 my pleasure (Vanilla icecream flavour)-eye-i10.jpg
Look into my eyes.. you will see !

H- i10 my pleasure (Vanilla icecream flavour)-car-bridge.jpg

the pacific highway, I was talking about.

Alternate view of the highway

H- i10 my pleasure (Vanilla icecream flavour)-flower.jpg
The cluster- or the flower!?

H- i10 my pleasure (Vanilla icecream flavour)-what-lies-behind.jpg
now thats a rear View !

H- i10 my pleasure (Vanilla icecream flavour)-backdrop.jpg
Hop in for a cozy ride.

H- i10 my pleasure (Vanilla icecream flavour)-c-i.jpg
Shine and bling..

Another thing I would like to say:
We can wear thin soled shoes to get a better and more precise feedback of the throttle/clutch/brake.
I was using trek-mountain-climbing shoes, and I was feeling the pedals much better than the normal thick soled plastic footwear.

Q :07: I had a query about quick-er shifting. How do I mix/overlap actions (clutching-release Acc-clutch depressing-Acceleration) order to get quicker shifts (quick as in fastest clutch release). If I try to shift faster, it results in a tad-more jerkier shift.
Any pattern/sequence to shift faster?

BTW,
I am done with Half tank of Petrol (as per the FI, which's not exactly accurate, I know), and clocked 250kms with that, so approxing it out, we can say, 13.8ish average kmpl. and that comes with:
20 percent revvier driving+
30 percent sedate driving+
30 percent experimental/learner type driving (bro driving)+
20 percent city&highway driving.

Generally keeping it below 2500, but occasionally above it upto 3000 only.

So that dept is good too, I guess.

Clocked: 270 km

Current lessons
Parallel parking/reverse parking (faster)
Completed lessons
Drive/start/stop uphill (now using Handbrake on steeper ones, and clutch->Accelerator for milder slopes.)
Care.

Ace.

Last edited by Dippy : 31st March 2010 at 12:00. Reason: Deleting pics on request
Old 9th March 2010, 10:28   #12
BHPian

waiting for feeds!

i10 owners n others, please pitch in your views about the queries and feedback!
quick query:
i am having a car_cover, it does not fit snug to the car. is it supposed to stay loose/snug?
waiting for 'some' feedback/answers!

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 9th March 2010 at 10:40.
Old 9th March 2010, 11:23   #13
BHPian

I like your photos and the titles you gave them

I'm getting similar RPM vs Speed figures that you have mentioned.

How many kms have you completed so far ? I would say keep the upper limit as 3000 RPM during the run-in.

You'll get 60 in 3rd gear, 80 in 4th gear, close to 100 in 5th gear at 3000 RPM. Fair enough right ?
Old 9th March 2010, 13:28   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
I like your photos and the titles you gave them

You'll get 60 in 3rd gear, 80 in 4th gear, close to 100 in 5th gear at 3000 RPM. Fair enough right ?
thank you para_7k! for your feed..
i am yet to test 3000 rpm levels!
limiting myself to 2500 in 3/4/5 gears, and 3000 in 1/2.
like my previous post says, its done 270km till now.

and, yes, i do avoid 4000s as of yet! will try those just before Service#01, so as to get full feel of car before & after the service!

P.S. please find the inline questions in my posts!, and i10 owners-- experiences are welcome!--

Care.

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 9th March 2010 at 13:30.
Old 9th March 2010, 13:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

congrats on the car and a nice write up. i can see your enjoying every moment with the i10

im taking delivery of the i10 tday.

have you posted the FE figures ? could not find anywhere

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks