Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2010, 07:33   #61
Senior - BHPian

Manju, seems like you are doing all the right things. Not sure what could be your GC issue. Sure ANHC has low GC, but i never thought of it as a big issue.

Maybe i can help. Send me a PM, we can probably check out your car/driving style somewhere over the weekend.
Old 1st March 2010, 09:24   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrmanju1 View Post
5) Gosh, Orange colored dials. Not impressive at all. Both the Music system and also the dashboard. Well, i would have loved Civic or pale white. -

PS: I am a newbie to driving in Indian roads and conditions. This was my 4-5th day of driving in India.
Lots of people drive without using sun glasses in India. The Orange colored dials help a lot when one is driving on a very bright and sunny noon/afternoon time with the sun rays directly hitting your eyes. Generally ehen one is shifting eyes from the bright roads back to the ODO/dials, generally any other other color is not visible immediately where as orange seen immediately. one has to do less efforts to focus the eyesight with orange colored dials. this saves precious seconds especially one is at higher speeds.

i know the speed breaks you are mentioning after Devanhalli, near chikballapur, indeed they are mini (Nandi) Hills.. The one near the Yesvantpur flyover also belongs to the same class.,

Each day will be a learning experience for you on Indian roads.
Drive safe,

Last edited by StarVegabond : 1st March 2010 at 09:26.
Old 1st March 2010, 09:48   #63
BHPian

Humps indeed are a big problem in Bangalore, you need to be very slow, but with 5 people on board it sometimes becomes un-avoidable.

Being slow also is tough on highways, while doing the same I had a Santro guy banging my car from behind, didn't had major damage though.

But, it gets bit annoying sometimes. Wish they could have further increased the wheel base.

I saw ANHC on Hosur road yesterday, couldn't take a snap, it had mods

- Yokohoma 16/17 inch tyre and alloys looked pretty descent, probably that would be a correct choice to avoid (not solving) the scraping.

Last edited by raghu230506 : 1st March 2010 at 09:53.
Old 1st March 2010, 10:00   #64
BHPian

Quote:
I hardly had time to play with the Music system from the day i purchased the car. I just pop in my iPOD or the USB stick and i am too eager to drive than looking at the Music controls. Well, maybe a few days later once the initial josh is gone.
Ditto with me, for few days all I was doing was just get in the car start and drive nothing else. I even didnt start the music system or better to say forgot that it has got music system as well.

Still I have not explored all the features of music system and haven't read the manual completely.

Good that you have covered some KMs on highway, I am still waiting for my highway experience.

BTW, as you are newbie for Indian conditions, have you considered upgrading the tyres, upgrading headlights, sun-films etc?
Old 1st March 2010, 10:03   #65
BHPian

Slowing down at speed breakers

Quote:

b) I trained myself to slow down and almost come to a stop and slowly cross the speed breaker. 95% of the time, it works. I have this habit of looking in the rear view mirror whenever i slowdown or apply breaks. In the innumerable speed breakers along Bangalore-Mysore highway, i slowed down to almost a complete stand still. In my rear view mirror, i see a Indica yellow board cab guy rushing in and not slowing down. Well, if i dont slow down - it is going to HIT the underbody for sure. If i slow down, folks coming from behind (especially cab guys) who just jump on these hills don't anticipate that i am going to slow down so much. Well, i was sure he would rear end me. But heard a screech from his NON ABS vehicle. Nothing happened though. But any ideas to get around this?

Net Net - Yes, low GC is a gigantic problem in Bangalore. No doubt about it. (Blame it on Karnataka civil engineers or on the car - will see).
I feel KA government collects so much of high road tax and their way of giving back the money to us is in the form of these Humps. Anyways, will experiment more on how to tackle Humps on an upward inclination.

PS: I am a newbie to driving in Indian roads and conditions. This was my 4-5th day of driving in India.
Manju, unfortunately nothing much can be done about seating 5 people and managing to escape unhurt from the humps. Regarding slowing down, I guess we have to do a gradual breaking. For that you got to see those humps pretty early and then start applying breakes a little early with the intensity at the maximum near just before the humps. This way, the driver behind you will get an early warning from the break lights of your car. I uses this approach quite effectively and it had not failed me till date (touch wood)
Old 1st March 2010, 19:30   #66
BHPian

Manju, I know the hump you are talking about (near Yashwanthpur flyover). Last weekend I went over the same hump with 4.5 people + some luggage (not much though) and didn't scrape. Ofcourse I was dead slow and did one wheel at a time. I'm now wondering whether ANHC rear suspension is softer than Civic's. Well even in that case, ANHC's wheelbase is 150mm shorter than Civic's; so it should atleast be on par(considering ANHC's GC being 10mm less). Can someone measure how high the body hangs with full load in ANHC? I'll do it for Civic.

Another thing you need to do is to avoid braking over humps, as it reduces GC even more. Even if the car is not sufficiently slowed, take your feet off the brake. This effectively gives better GC than hard-braking over the bump.

As soon as you reach the bump, stop braking and coast till front wheels start rolling down the bump. Then, mild-brake till the rear is completely off the bump. This is easy in an MT as you can play with the clutch and be in total control. Its quite a challenge and needs practice in an AT. Sometimes, you may need to accelerate a bit, to push the front wheels to climb the mountain and end up over-accelerating a little and hit the chassis right behind front wheels.
Old 1st March 2010, 20:15   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Maybe i can help. Send me a PM, we can probably check out your car/driving style somewhere over the weekend.
Thanks. Will ping you for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Being slow also is tough on highways, while doing the same I had a Santro guy banging my car from behind, didn't had major damage though.
After looking at the various threads here, slight scraping or slight Bang is not really so worrisome. I have seen pictures of Underbody service center pictures in one of the threads and it looks good.

But Fender Bender/Rear Ending by folks who are in urgency is a cause of highest concern. Saw this 3-4 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
Regarding slowing down, I guess we have to do a gradual breaking. This way, the driver behind you will get an early warning from the break lights of your car. I uses this approach quite effectively and it had not failed me till date (touch wood)
Yeah, thats true. But with so many Cabs on road and so much pressure on them to maintain time, i think its a tough situation. I go to office in my office Innova which comes to pick me up. Drivers say that if they come >5 minutes late - they are fined 500 Rs. Thats a lot of money for them. But in India, if you dont have this stringent rules you will always get to hear the excuse "Sir, i am just 5 minutes from your place. Little adjust." Catch-22 situation. But anyways, if there is a genuine delay - i sign the trip sheet saying there was really a Traffic Jam and was the cause of delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc15 View Post
I'm now wondering whether ANHC rear suspension is softer than Civic's. Well even in that case, ANHC's wheelbase is 150mm shorter than Civic's;

Another thing you need to do is to avoid braking over humps, as it reduces GC even more. Even if the car is not sufficiently slowed, take your feet off the brake. This effectively gives better GC than hard-braking over the bump.

As soon as you reach the bump, stop braking and coast till front wheels start rolling down the bump. Then, mild-brake till the rear is completely off the bump. This is easy in an MT as you can play with the clutch and be in total control. Its quite a challenge and needs practice in an AT. Sometimes, you may need to accelerate a bit, to push the front wheels to climb the mountain and end up over-accelerating a little and hit the chassis right behind front wheels.
MKC - i have to regularly use this particular Hump route. First time i went, i thought i was dead slow. I wasnt. So it hurt. Today - 5 folks again, came to a STOP. One wheel at a time, 10 honks from behind - nothing happened. So my perception of blocking traffic maybe made me go faster the first time.

But you got it right on the AT. I was braking while half crossed on the humps. I am going to try "Removing my leg off the breaks and then a mild break before the back wheels come on. Yes, you are right. MT braking is WAY WAY different from AT. AT brake pads have a short time span. Let me try this and i will update this thread of the findings.

Till then - let me enjoy the ride.

Weekends are when 5 people end up on my car. Weekdays - its just me and my car!
Old 1st March 2010, 21:51   #68
BHPian

Registration Card Details

Folks

Couple of queries. I got my RC card by post today. I opened it and saw all the details of my name/address correctly spelled and looking fine. Popped it in my pocket.

Question:

1) Heard a friend of mine who owns a 2 wheeler saying "Why do you carry the RC card ? Get a photo copy of the same and keep the original @ home."

Is this correct/legal? Because all along, i was thinking that we should carry

a) Original DL
b) Original RC
c) Original Insurance Papers
d) Emission Checks
<Am i missing anything else?>
So what is correct?

Important

I have a car loan with SBI for my car. I had Form 20 taken from the dealer. Gave the same to the bank. Bank approved the loan and All IZZ Well.

Nowhere in my documents am i seeing mention of SBI. I just saw that even the Smart Card RC also doesnt have mention of SBI or anything of that sort. Is there something missing?

Also, once the car is delivered, do i have to go and submit any documents to the Bank RACPC?

Tax Invoice? Anything else?
Old 1st March 2010, 22:19   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Folks

Couple of queries. I got my RC card by post today. I opened it and saw all the details of my name/address correctly spelled and looking fine. Popped it in my pocket.

Question:

1) Heard a friend of mine who owns a 2 wheeler saying "Why do you carry the RC card ? Get a photo copy of the same and keep the original @ home."

a) Original DL
b) Original RC
d) Emission Checks
So what is correct?

Important

I have a car loan with SBI for my car. I had Form 20 taken from the dealer. Gave the same to the bank. Bank approved the loan and All IZZ Well.

Nowhere in my documents am i seeing mention of SBI. I just saw that even the Smart Card RC also doesnt have mention of SBI or anything of that sort. Is there something missing?

Also, once the car is delivered, do i have to go and submit any documents to the Bank RACPC?

Wow, your RC had arrived lightning fast Manju. I took my car before you on the day of Shivrathri but is yet to receive my card. Looks like it may take upto a month's time as per Whitefield Honda.

The RC books has the hypothecation stamped on it. I am not sure how it is in the RC card. There should be some record in the card too.

You got to carry the card atleast when you go long drives. Inside Bangalore, police generally will give you time to submit the documents. Is the RC card, storing information adhering to some national standards so that it can be read by Police from any state ? It could be, as what they issue is an Indian Union license.
Old 2nd March 2010, 02:01   #70
BHPian

Great write-up there. Thread subscribed

Regarding GC - what is the maximum upsize for ANHC ? Does it help ?

Last edited by quadra : 2nd March 2010 at 02:04.
Old 2nd March 2010, 09:14   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Folks

Question:

a) Original DL
b) Original RC
d) Emission Checks
So what is correct?

Important

Hi Manju,

Yes, RC card doesn't have bank details. Nothing to worry.

I allways carry Duplicate copy of RC book and rest in original. I heard from RTO that it's pain staking to get a duplicate copy of the smart card as the first lot itself takes hell of a time. So, I preferred carrying a duplicate (colour XEROX and laminated) instead of original.

As well the smart card readers are to be rolled out much later in the year which would be portable enough to be with traffic police and till then the readers are available only in RTO offices.

I remember that it's fine to carry duplicates long as they are attested by gov lawyer.
Old 3rd March 2010, 18:17   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
Wow, your RC had arrived lightning fast Manju. I took my car before you on the day of Shivrathri but is yet to receive my card. Looks like it may take upto a month's time as per Whitefield Honda.

The RC books has the hypothecation stamped on it. I am not sure how it is in the RC card. There should be some record in the card too.

You got to carry the card atleast when you go long drives. Inside Bangalore, police generally will give you time to submit the documents. Is the RC card, storing information adhering to some national standards so that it can be read by Police from any state ? It could be, as what they issue is an Indian Union license.
Well, i did not do anything special with the RTO. I did not ask for any special numbers also. So no clue why there is a delay at your end. Anyways, keep us posted once you get the RC card. Have you taken any loan? If so, is it there in your RC card?

If bank loan taken, do i need to submit any documents to the bank post delivery?
Old 3rd March 2010, 19:15   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Well, i did not do anything special with the RTO. I did not ask for any special numbers also. So no clue why there is a delay at your end. Anyways, keep us posted once you get the RC card. Have you taken any loan? If so, is it there in your RC card?

If bank loan taken, do i need to submit any documents to the bank post delivery?
Hi Manju,

Bank name is not there on my RC Card, and there is no need to submit any documents to bank post delivery.
Old 4th March 2010, 06:58   #74
BHPian

One Week Update

Been driving inside the City for last couple of days. So i was HUMPing around the city with innumerable humps. (Pun Intended ) With just 2 people, all the Humps looked like a piece of cake. Same Humps with 5 people was a slight *DING* but with 2 people on board - nothing.

Note: This applies to A/T transmission car only.

I did follow the advice given by mkc15.

As soon as you reach the bump, stop braking and coast till front wheels start rolling down the bump. Then, mild-brake till the rear is completely off the bump.

Is Honda or KA govt encouraging Small/Nuclear families?
Old 4th March 2010, 09:49   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did follow the advice given by mkc15.

As soon as you reach the bump, stop braking and coast till front wheels start rolling down the bump. Then, mild-brake till the rear is completely off the bump.
How was the ride comfort over the hump, this way? Does the passengers feel tossed around?

Quote:
Is Honda or KA govt encouraging Small/Nuclear families?
Looks like KA govt likes high GC vehicles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks