Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2010, 19:56   #46
BHPian

HELP

Tried playing my ipod Nano (5th Gen). Connected using the USB socket. Ipod is recognized in the Head Unit(HU). I can access all of the Playlists, Albulms etc. These are displayed in the HU display. But, Music is never played.

In the IPOD, i get the message "Connected to an Accessory. Ok to Disconnect."

Things i already tried:

1) Reset the iPOD
2) Tried another cable
3) USB Stick works fine. So does the radio. (So no connectivity issue)
4) Checked the manual and my iPOD firmware is also supported.

So if the HU can recognize the iPOD and access the playlists et all, why am i not getting to hear the sound?

Anyone who uses iPOD ; can you please help me? I need to know what the iPOD should display too? (It is not matching what is there in the ANHC manual)

Going on a long drive as its a long weekend for me.
Old 26th February 2010, 19:57   #47
BHPian

hrmanju1, excellent write-up. I loved the way you summed up the SBI experience. Honda Cars certainly guarantees a no-nonsense experience.
Old 26th February 2010, 20:08   #48
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrmanju1 View Post
Team-BHP 101

All Newbies like me, this is a suggestion i have for you. Things to learn in Team-BHP.

1) If you are undecided on a car - WHAT CAR section is the first place you need to go. So get a membership and start from there. Lots of inputs will be provided which may help you or mess you up completely.

Note: There are lots of brand Fan Boys here in the Forum. Irrespective of what your requirement is - they will tell ONLY about the brands they own/like. So take the answers with a bag of salt. Use your judgement.

2) Once you finalize on the Make/Model - Visit the Test Drive and Initial Ownership reports. Search for you Make/Model. Read through each one of them. Make notes as to what/why a person went to the particular model etc. Also, you will learn about Features etc which are way better than magazine reviews. Some of the reviews in here are spot on.

3) With research done on all the features - time for TD. Tips and Tricks for TD are also present if you search. Follow them to the T.

congrats man- btw are you sure you are not in the literary industry
Man its rare to see someone put so much matter and thought, probably you are a tech architect i suspect!
BTW you are 100% right about how to decide on which car, i always believe the best car is the one what serves YOUR purpose the best and not what is the most popular or sells the most. There are some strong loyal camps here and to the naive it may sway that last minute choice looking at some strong posts.
Anyways i think i am going but superb write up.
BTW is your car going to be parked outside the house? Take care of it well man, can give some free and expert advise on car care!!!

Last edited by mkh : 26th February 2010 at 20:10.
Old 26th February 2010, 22:34   #49
BHPian

Quote:
HELP

Tried playing my ipod Nano (5th Gen).

Connect your iPod to your PC, open up iTunes and restore your iPod to factory setting. That will surely help you BUT do remember to have a backup of your songs on your PC
Old 26th February 2010, 22:53   #50
BHPian

I have not used IPOD, but I allways play music from Iphone, only thing I do it connect it to USB and then press power or mode button (on the steering) nothing else.

It works absolutely fine, in worst case try using AUX (you cannot change track though from the controls).
Old 27th February 2010, 00:04   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFF-EIGHT-BEE View Post
So much detail and explaination of each process of buying process you have given (including team-bhp 101) that a layman whould learn the abc of buying process .
Thanks! That was the intent of writing the Test Drive and Initial Ownership experience. Layman/Newbies should benefit from it. Payback to t-bhp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
hrmanju1, excellent write-up. I loved the way you summed up the SBI experience. Honda Cars certainly guarantees a no-nonsense experience.
SBI & Honda ==> No-Nonsense approach. So far so good. Now, i have taken Bajaj Allianz insurance. Hope the same continues in this as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
congrats man- btw are you sure you are not in the literary industry
Man its rare to see someone put so much matter and thought, probably you are a tech architect i suspect!
Anyways i think i am going but superb write up.
BTW is your car going to be parked outside the house? Take care of it well man, can give some free and expert advise on car care!!!
Well mkh - you hit 2 birds with one stone.
a) I love writing. Its my secret hobby. I have written some scripts/dramas for School/College/Workplace. Even have plans to make a movie. Just kidding.
b) Technical Architect - Do you know me?

No, my car is not going to be parked on the road. I have a proper parking place. More on that later. Advises are always welcome and thats the reason i come to team-bhp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Connect your iPod to your PC, open up iTunes and restore your iPod to factory setting. That will surely help you BUT do remember to have a backup of your songs on your PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
I have not used IPOD, but I allways play music from Iphone, only thing I do it connect it to USB and then press power or mode button (on the steering) nothing else.

It works absolutely fine, in worst case try using AUX (you cannot change track though from the controls).
Thanks prateekm & raghu. I had set my iPOD as a "mass storage device" for transferring some video. In this option, HU will not play and it is clearly written in the ANHC User Guide. Bummer me! Anyways, it is in Page # 141. Yes, i do read Manuals. Occupational HAZARD.

What i did was,
a) Connect iPOD to iTunes.
b) Disable the "Mass Storage Option"
c) Reset iPOD (google if you dont know how to do it)
d) Connect to the HU
e) First song i played using my iPOD "Summer of 69" by Bryan Adams.
Old 27th February 2010, 10:06   #52
Senior - BHPian

@hrmanju: Great write-up there. When I saw the photo of your Civic and the 'KANSAS' plate, I was struck by nostalgia as I had the same Civic (green colour though) and I spent a good 2 years at Kansas City, MO. Were you put up at Overland Park by any chance? Conngrats on your buy mate ! All the best !
Old 27th February 2010, 12:36   #53
BHPian

Quote:
HELP

Tried playing my ipod Nano (5th Gen). Connected using the USB socket. Ipod is recognized in the Head Unit(HU). I can access all of the Playlists, Albulms etc. These are displayed in the HU display. But, Music is never played.

In the IPOD, i get the message "Connected to an Accessory. Ok to Disconnect."

Things i already tried:

1) Reset the iPOD
2) Tried another cable
3) USB Stick works fine. So does the radio. (So no connectivity issue)
4) Checked the manual and my iPOD firmware is also supported.

So if the HU can recognize the iPOD and access the playlists et all, why am i not getting to hear the sound?

Anyone who uses iPOD ; can you please help me? I need to know what the iPOD should display too? (It is not matching what is there in the ANHC manual)

Okay here is what I did before hooking the ipod to my Honda and it seemed to work instantly
- I own an iPOD nano 3rd Gen (8GB, FW:1.1.3, Model: MB249ZP)
- Launched the itunes and it asked me to upgrade to 9.0.2.25, I obliged.
- When I connect the iPOD to my Honda, it says OK to Disconnect as well
- I am using the USB connector that came with the iPOD
I have left the car for my second service today so I can't exactly tell you what is displayed on the iPOD when it's connected to the HU. Do let me know if the FW is upto date and what is the FW currently on.
Old 27th February 2010, 14:38   #54
BHPian

Quote:
My 4 year old son was still sleeping. This was a surprise for him. He did not know we were buying a car and that too today. So waited for him to stir bak out of sleep. It took a long time. Rest of the days, its a blessing in disguise if he sleeps (so that i can catch some movies) but today was not the case. At last he woke up. Took him out and asked him if he likes the car. He is another team-bhpian in the making. He recognizes most of the cars in Indian roads. He saw the car, named it.

And I asked " Do you like this car?"
Kid "Yes."
Me "Shall we buy it?"
Kid "Yes"
Me did some abra ca dabra magic and pulled out the keys, opened the car and made him sit in the back seat. That was a priceless expression which he gave. I could not capture that moment but it is in his mind.
Thats absolutely priceless! I cant even imagine the pure unadulterated happiness he must have felt. Agree with the back-seat thing, but when the car is not running you should give him 15 minutes in the drivers seat and a chance to make all the engine noises with his own voice!

Quote:
VW Polo :- With enough information coming in from Team-BHP and seeing Car & Bike show and Overdrive, i was not impressed with the 1.2 Liter Petrol at all. With the guarantee of no 1.2 TSI making it to India, slowly lost interest in VW Polo.With so much of secrecy surrounding the Pricing, Specs, Test Drives - the waiting for Polo kind of got on my nerves. It all started with Polo and with no definitive dates and confusing statements from the dealers, i gave it a miss. But i still love the Red Colored Polo.
I'm in the same boat as you. Would have been happy to put down 10L on a 1.2TSI Polo with DSG, but will probably end up picking up an ANHC or a Linea T-Jet this August. Why does increasing quality only come with increasing size in India?

All the best with your new purchase. Do remember to drive safe. And thank you for the very detailed write-up.
Old 27th February 2010, 16:33   #55
BHPian

Quote:
e) First song i played using my iPOD "Summer of 69" by Bryan Adams.
+1
Ever since I have connected my iPod to ANHC music system, I am not listening any other albums then 'Best of Bryan Adams', 'Best of Billy Joel' and the legendary 'Bob Marley'.

This music system is capable of producing the right beats and at this time I dont feel like upgrading any thing in it, except the Dot Matrix style display, Damn it cannt even scrolls so that at least I can see the full name of Track / Album.
Old 28th February 2010, 09:50   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
@hrmanju: Were you put up at Overland Park by any chance? Conngrats on your buy mate ! All the best !
Yes, Overland Park it was. World is flat & Small aint it? When were you KC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanth_yk View Post
Do let me know if the FW is upto date and what is the FW currently on.
iPOD problem is fixed. I had set iPOD as "Use as External Storage/Mass Sotrage". So i removed that option in iTunes, rebooted and voila - i can hear music. Thanks anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
but when the car is not running you should give him 15 minutes in the drivers seat and a chance to make all the engine noises with his own voice!
I'm in the same boat as you. Would have been happy to put down 10L on a 1.2TSI Polo with DSG, but will probably end up picking up an ANHC or a Linea T-Jet this August. Why does increasing quality only come with increasing size in India?
Yeah, when the car is not running, why not? That shouldnt be a problem at all. And theEnd, i remember the thread of 10Lakhs for 1.2TSI Polo with DSG. But i am reading the new Sedan info from VW. Man, this is going nowhere. Good i took my decision. Else, would have been disappointed that a Polo Sedan with 1.2TSI and DSG will be released. Adding to more confusion i would have paid more for my ANHC because of Excise duty.

I will give benefit of doubt yet to VW because they are new entrants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post
+1
This music system is capable of producing the right beats and at this time I dont feel like upgrading any thing in it, except the Dot Matrix style display, Damn it cannt even scrolls so that at least I can see the full name of Track / Album.
Well, in the Equalizer, there is this option called Power or something of that sort. This has BASS set to +6 i think. I did not like that setting at all. My doors were shaking. (I was listening to Black Eyed Peas "Boom Boom Pow")
Old 28th February 2010, 14:41   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Well, in the Equalizer, there is this option called Power or something of that sort. This has BASS set to +6 i think. I did not like that setting at all. My doors were shaking. (I was listening to Black Eyed Peas "Boom Boom Pow")
You can set it to 'C' which is center and should be Ok, I have set it to +2 and getting good results.

I have also set the fading to +3R (Rear) so that sounds comes to me from all directions.
Old 28th February 2010, 23:48   #58
BHPian

Manju, Just reminding you about the need being extremely careful when negotiating speed breakers in Bangalore. I guess there is no margin for error even with the Honda City. Please see the thread related to my buying of honda City, for some interesting pics of front under bumper sratches

Manju --> I bought City AT a week before your car. You can see my buying thread to view some more pics.

Guess you have to be very careful about using ANHC esp in Bangalore as speed breakers are awful !! It will drive you nuts since you have to be very careful all the time. There is absolutely no room for error with the City. I have updated some pics of minor scratches (at the wrong place) along with other pics in the same thread.

Please share your new experiences if you have any.

Last edited by v12 : 1st March 2010 at 00:09.
Old 1st March 2010, 01:04   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post
You can set it to 'C' which is center and should be Ok, I have set it to +2 and getting good results.

I have also set the fading to +3R (Rear) so that sounds comes to me from all directions.
Yeah, i reduced the BASS to C (0). Now it sounds fine.
I haven't tried the FADING option. Let me try this tomorrow. Thanks for the hint.

I hardly had time to play with the Music system from the day i purchased the car. I just pop in my iPOD or the USB stick and i am too eager to drive than looking at the Music controls. Well, maybe a few days later once the initial josh is gone.
Old 1st March 2010, 01:32   #60
BHPian

500 Kms Update

Well, the first weekend after i got my car. I was too eager to take it on Highway and try to feel the power. Let me shortly tell you where i did and then some of my observations on the Car.

Saturday

Took from Bangalore. Thought of going to Srirangapatna. Started leisurely (7:30 AM). Had nice breakfast in Kamat Lokaruchi. Went to RanganaThittu and my son had a whale of a time. Feb/March is one of the best seasons to visit Rangana Thittu i think. Not only there were many birds but there were newly born birds too and it was noisy. Pleasant noise though! Went to the usual places around SrirangaPatna and returned. While coming back, went to Coffee Day right before Maddur. My cousin owns it. Got a freebie Cold Coffee.

Sunday

Leisure morning. Had to get a hair cut for my kid. (Else they would have complained i think ;-).) So around 11AM, went to my dads birth place (Chickkaballapur). Main intent was to experience NH7. Went to a place called Muddenahalli too! Birth place of Sir MV. Good time pass.

Observations on Car

1) Steering wheel is loose or flexible in the city. But once on high speeds, it does get tighter. So all fears of having any problems of loose steering is put to rest. +

2) It is Hot in Bangalore now. So A/C was sufficient. Wifey is very particular about it and she was not complaining. So, i think A/C complanits can be laid to rest for now. Let me see how the March/April heat (37-39Deg) has affect on A/C cooling. +

3) Music system does its work. No complaints. I carry all music in MP3 itself from a long time. So in my previous car - there was no MP3 player. So had to burn CDs and carry them along. Now all i do is carry my iPOD and USB. +

4) Is it me or anyone else got lower back pain? I havent adjusted my seating position but after 3 hour non stop drive - i could feel a niggling back pain. Maybe time to play around with my seating position. -

5) Gosh, Orange colored dials. Not impressive at all. Both the Music system and also the dashboard. Well, i would have loved Civic or pale white. -

6) Last but not the least. Yeah the Ground Clearance. Man, the route i took had like 27 speed breakers in 10 KM distance. I am talking of the mini Hills and NOT the newly designed Island speed breakers. Island speed breakers are piece of cake. No problemo. Mini hills speed breakers HURT. I mean they are BAD. ANHC cannot take them. I have read the rules/techniques of overcoming the speed breakers. But with 5 people on board, mini hills are a HUGE problem.

a) There is a flyover near Metro Yashwantpur. So when we come from Mekhri circle , before we get on to the Flyover - there is this Mini hill. I was dead slow. Took sidewards. But NADA. DANG! I heard the first BANG! (Is that why we call this BANGalore) So get on to the flyover, there is an elevation of around 25 degrees. Come to think of it. Brilliant Road architects. Why is there a need for a Speed breaker when someone is climbing a steep incline onto a flyover. Please explain? So in this kind of situation, is there a way to avoid such a scenario. If you folks know - please HELP! Me and other who read all about ANHCs.

b) I trained myself to slow down and almost come to a stop and slowly cross the speed breaker. 95% of the time, it works. I have this habit of looking in the rear view mirror whenever i slowdown or apply breaks. In the innumerable speed breakers along Bangalore-Mysore highway, i slowed down to almost a complete stand still. In my rear view mirror, i see a Indica yellow board cab guy rushing in and not slowing down. Well, if i dont slow down - it is going to HIT the underbody for sure. If i slow down, folks coming from behind (especially cab guys) who just jump on these hills don't anticipate that i am going to slow down so much. Well, i was sure he would rear end me. But heard a screech from his NON ABS vehicle. Nothing happened though. But any ideas to get around this?

Net Net - Yes, low GC is a gigantic problem in Bangalore. No doubt about it. (Blame it on Karnataka civil engineers or on the car - will see).
I feel KA government collects so much of high road tax and their way of giving back the money to us is in the form of these Humps. Anyways, will experiment more on how to tackle Humps on an upward inclination.

PS: I am a newbie to driving in Indian roads and conditions. This was my 4-5th day of driving in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks