Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2010, 11:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post

@tanwaramit- good that you finally saw the post- I know it has been a long time since we started discussing it here.
Had been searching your ownership reports for a long time, glad it came up and it has been written quite well.

Quote:
I got a call that they have agreed to revert the excess charges. It will take few days and some formalities and thats fine with me .
Thats a wonderful news, congrats on getting that money saved.

Quote:
There is a brownish reddish stain under the driver's seat on the carpet . It was there in my previous one also. We tried to wash it off with shampoo but its still there. Its not an eyeshore but nevertheless its there. They are taking it back tomorrow to their workshop to activate airbag and will try to clean it as well as remove all the unwanted stickers and stains. Lets see.
Surprised to hear that a stain is found on two vehicles at same spot, is it about making mistakes with consistency

Quote:
My bad, I didnt actually think on those lines to pm you while at auto expo in Delhi. Missed the opportunity. I had gone with single point focus to have a look at Yeti though I saw many others as well and it was real treat and worth the time and efforts. While driving back - dense fog troubled a lot till Jaipur but beyond that it was all smooth. It was definitely a memorable drive.
No problemo, I will be driving down to Mumbai in my 4x4 AT Scorp before Dec 2010. Which car did you took ? Why dont you share a travelogue on that ? I took a drive to Amritsar, Dharamsala on 31st Night, what a foggy experience !

Quote:
So when parking will be arranged man? Know the budgets have hit prices and by the time you place an order , price hike will get effective. But its worth the wait to have a proper place to keep it safely.
What parking, I have given up on parking here, have started exploring some houses with inside parking, hope to finalise on that by April End, have seen some, liked some, negotiations going on. Am willing to shift house to accommodate Scorpio in my home, but dont want to park it on the road on a daily basis. It needs a home for sure. I dont mind waiting a few months more, but will not give in to the urge of booking it now, Once even went to the dealers place negotiated all and had asked him to collect checks next day, but calmed myself down.

Quote:
And you owe us an update on the security options. Gear locks - in stock condition is out question. You may find some enterprising mechanic/ store owner who can develop one for ATs as Delhi and Punjab are full of innovators and modifiers.
Thats one thing, I should start doing now, this had been pending for long. What all have you managed to find on the security options ?

Quote:
Once you have the keys in your hands, please, plan a trip to Mumbai or Goa- via Mumbai and dont forget to pm me unlike I did.
Thats a done thing. A drive to Mumbai in Scorpio on NH8 will be amazing, like Yeti did.

Quote:
About the keys - the M&M person informed that it has a inbuilt chip in the key set and the system identifies the embedded chip and memorises it after first use and thereafter it jumbles several combinations - which are synchronised between the system and the chip in the keys. Its difficult to mimic it and impossible to drive away with a duplicate key without the identical-chipset. The remote locking also has the security as it was earlier so, it is now two ways that its working. they have done away with customisable pass codes and now there is no such option.
Glad for this update, this is one thing which pushes me to buy scorpio now as the chances of it getting stolen are remote. however how can I avoid scratches, dents from people who cant stand a new scorpio in the neighbourhood.

Quote:
Nevertheless, Scorpio remains most desirable vehicle for the thiefs and susceptible- hence, we will have to take extra measures. Currently, figuring out what all is viable.
Couldnt have said better.

Awaiting inputs on Petes, how well does it improve performance on an AT box.

Quote:
Thanks again Vinod for pointing out and now I have another point to convey to the dealer. I didnt know about such sticker and now I ll insist. I ll get all other odd stickers- automatic, Auto tranny etc. removed and ensure that they put 4X4 sticker neatly.
I dont think its a sticker, guess its a chrome badge, for both Automatic and 4 WD, no plans of bullguard ?
Old 4th March 2010, 13:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Excellent choice going for AT. How is the gear shift ? are you able to notice the changes.

I personally feel MT would be more addictive than an AT.
Your comments pls?
Old 5th March 2010, 13:51   #18
BHPian

Hey..congrats on the buy. Have you tried any other auto boxes,maybe like the ANHC,SX4 etc.If yes,could you please compare them.
Old 6th March 2010, 17:08   #19
BHPian

Aha- so I should start looking forward to a drive again. Couple of guys from Bangalore are planning a Leh trip this summer- they would team up here at Mumbai , then Delhi-to Leh -would you be a game for it? I am in dilemma as yet- not too sure.
Nevertheless, so your trip to Mumbai will be awaited eagerly. All the best for your new house with a parking though after reading your post- I got an impression that you are buying a parking with a house attached to it.
4 years back when I bought 3 parkings from the builder, everyone was looking at me as if I was mad- as almost all the parkings were unsold and empty. My wife also didnt get convinced and said it was sheer wastage of money- ultimately, we bought just one covered and two open ones , still it meets the purpose. I am glad to note that we have all prospered and aspire to own cars, but today, in our society/ premises there is a problem of parking space as most of the people have bought a car or planning to buy one and now I am the one who is happy with my decision.

I can understand what it takes to calm yourself down when you know what you want and when its available and within reach and appreciate your patience to wait patiently and acting as per priorities. Its a practical and wise decision and will be eagerly waiting for update from you.

Travelogue- Not too good to be able to write a travelogue, besides, Mumbai to Ludhiana drive on NH is like a home run as have done it many times. Amritsar and Dharamshala- I have done many years back when I was staying at Pathankot. You travelled in peak winters on this route and its supposed to be coldest in Amritsar and Dharamshala is no better being a hill station. So I am sure you had a lots of fun in chill and fog. Winters have their own charm- I was for a week in Dasua( near PTK) and was wondering where did all the high energy drink and foods with cream, butter and ghee that we incessantly muched on and gulped go. I am sure even 30% of similar gluttony in Mumbai climate - can make one fall sick. The main aim was to visit the expo - but a few days of chill is good for spirits- specially when on a holiday for a friend's marriage ( hope you are not jealous now while imagining what fun we might have had- in that case, figure us out bathing at the borewell in open at 5-7degrees temp and I am sure you will have second thoughts) I didnt want to tell you that water was warm enough -so dont pity us too much.

I have driven on this route in Indica, Innova, Accent CRDi and Verna. This time it was in Laura. ( all sedans except Innova as they are faster and FE is much better and roads are very good). Safari-I dont use for long distance travels unlike what most safari owners do nor have I tried it in Scorpio. But now I guess, things may change with Scorpio AT once I get used to it as Scorpio is definitely more liveable than Safari- IMHO- due to its less attention seeking problem as compared to Safari. Latest problem is that last week my Safari's timing belt got broken- spent 17K. Once, I feel absolutely used to Scorpio , will dispose off Safari as niggling issues are too many. Though, it looks much better than Scorpio(subjective) and safety and tech features are better than earlier VLX. Now VLX too caught up and with AT - it has become another option to drive for long distances.

Of course NH8 is quite good and you will definitely enjoy the drive.

Have written to the dealer for the 4wd chrome badge for ShrekII. They are yet to revert. In fact , saved a pic from here and sent to them for reference. Lets see what excuse do they come up with for not having put it.

Tomorrow, few of us are planning a meet wherein we will be testing the vehicles- 4X4 systems and capabilities as well as will install petes box. Updates will be put up.

Other than a Micro VBB system, there is nothing currently in mind- its a gsm based sytem with gps chips to track the vehicle and it can disable the system through a sms- exactly, what the immobiliser does. I am not able to figure out - that if the key based (chip) system once immobilises it and then overridden by the hi-tech thief, would they/ he not be able to override the immobiliser based on this too? So would it be worth considering to install. Other thing I have in mind is to put a kill switch hidden somewhere.

In accessories, since you asked and sounded surpised as to why not even a bullbar- so okay- will consider a bull bar and a rear guard- though I think anything like this can do more damage in a serious accident scenario as they carry the impact directly on to the chassis thus causing more damage while the crumple zones in the bumpers dont get into play when a guard/ bar is fitted. Will have to think about it. Only advantage I see in real life scenario is that on day to day basis - it is very useful as it saves from many scratches and dents. Besides, a bull bar is a good mount for Hellas- someone has suggested to fix hellas on it- and I secretly admire hellas- though have no practical value to me. If I take it on highways more often as my primary car, then - I may consider even HIDs- but that may be few months from now. The stock bulbs are quite good for night driving on NHs even now. Since, now you are there, lets compare prices of accessories there and here. Most accesorries should be cheaper in Delhi - I guess, except may be Micro VBB anti-theft gps /gsm system. So you may pm me your wish list and I ll scout in the market here and you may do the same there- if nothing else, at least it will keep you busy planning for your new baby which is conceived but not yet delivered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Had been searching your ownership reports for a long time, glad it came up and it has been written quite well.

Thats a wonderful news, congrats on getting that money saved.

Surprised to hear that a stain is found on two vehicles at same spot, is it about making mistakes with consistency

No problemo, I will be driving down to Mumbai in my 4x4 AT Scorp before Dec 2010. Which car did you took ? Why dont you share a travelogue on that ? I took a drive to Amritsar, Dharamsala on 31st Night, what a foggy experience !

What parking, I have given up on parking here, have started exploring some houses with inside parking, hope to finalise on that by April End, have seen some, liked some, negotiations going on. Am willing to shift house to accommodate Scorpio in my home, but dont want to park it on the road on a daily basis. It needs a home for sure. I dont mind waiting a few months more, but will not give in to the urge of booking it now, Once even went to the dealers place negotiated all and had asked him to collect checks next day, but calmed myself down.

Thats one thing, I should start doing now, this had been pending for long. What all have you managed to find on the security options ?

Thats a done thing. A drive to Mumbai in Scorpio on NH8 will be amazing, like Yeti did.

Glad for this update, this is one thing which pushes me to buy scorpio now as the chances of it getting stolen are remote. however how can I avoid scratches, dents from people who cant stand a new scorpio in the neighbourhood.

Couldnt have said better.

Awaiting inputs on Petes, how well does it improve performance on an AT box.

I dont think its a sticker, guess its a chrome badge, for both Automatic and 4 WD, no plans of bullguard ?

Yes Ramsagar- AT is choice due to convenience it offers- given that I am bit lazy driver and prefer to keep my hand free!
Gear Shift is normal- I mean smooth and not too jerky. A lot would depend on driving style. One has to understand the nature of the gears and acordingly adapt the driving style to extract most out of it.

Of course, no comparison with MT in terms of performance and FE. My previous one was Mhawk-MT and still remember the shove and pull it had when peddle was put to the metal. Not this one for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Excellent choice going for AT. How is the gear shift ? are you able to notice the changes.

I personally feel MT would be more addictive than an AT.
Your comments pls?

Thank you Ahmed26 for your wishes. I have two cars which have AT- a Santro- 4 speed and Laura- DSG - 6 speed. A bit of non-tech perception is sketched - may please, follow the link.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...ml#post1760100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed26 View Post
Hey..congrats on the buy. Have you tried any other auto boxes,maybe like the ANHC,SX4 etc.If yes,could you please compare them.

Last edited by shatrughna : 6th March 2010 at 17:21.
Old 6th March 2010, 20:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi Capt,
Great write up...keep continuing to post your experiences here regularly.
And yes, hopefully after the P's B is installed tomorrow you'll see a more powerful kick in Shrek-II.
Enjoy the beast !
Old 10th March 2010, 19:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hey Shatrughna,

Catching up with this thread now. Congratulations for getting your Scorp. Your impressions of this one vis a vis the earlier scorpio are interesting.
Old 10th March 2010, 22:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aha- so I should start looking forward to a drive again. Couple of guys from Bangalore are planning a Leh trip this summer- they would team up here at Mumbai , then Delhi-to Leh -would you be a game for it? I am in dilemma as yet- not too sure.
I am ready, only thing, I wont have my gaadi by that time, so would need a lift.
Quote:
Nevertheless, so your trip to Mumbai will be awaited eagerly. All the best for your new house with a parking though after reading your post- I got an impression that you are buying a parking with a house attached to it
Yeah, cant help, bought this house last year only, didnt consider parking will be so critical, was assuming parking on road will be ok.

Quote:
who is happy with my decision.
Foresight, I must say.

Quote:
Its a practical and wise decision and will be eagerly waiting for update from you.
More glad that family is understanding too and is not getting off on the purchase though.

Quote:
where did all the high energy drink and foods with cream, butter and ghee that we incessantly muched on and gulped go. I am sure even 30% of similar gluttony in Mumbai climate - can make one fall sick. The main aim was to visit the expo - but a few days of chill is good for spirits- specially when on a holiday for a friend's marriage ( in that case, figure us out bathing at the borewell in open at 5-7degrees temp and I am sure you will have second thoughts) I didnt want to tell you that water was warm enough -so dont pity us too much.
North Indian food has its own charm, and yes, bathing at borewell, did the same last year Holi after colors. However at this temperature do tell us the major fun must have been coming out of the water.

Quote:
Scorpio is definitely more liveable than Safari- IMHO- due to its less attention seeking problem as compared to Safari. Latest problem is that last week my Safari's timing belt got broken- spent 17K. Once, I feel absolutely used to Scorpio , will dispose off Safari as niggling issues are too many.
Gosh, that's quite costly for Safari, however what is meant by less attention seeking problem (does it mean less visits to ASC ?)

Quote:
Of course NH8 is quite good and you will definitely enjoy the drive.
My office is in Gurgaon so atleast I start on NH8 daily, however get off the highway quite soon

Quote:
Lets see what excuse do they come up with for not having put it.
I am sure by this time it must have come up, Pramods got one "automatic" badge extra and installed it on the left side below the left turn indicator

Quote:
Tomorrow, few of us are planning a meet wherein we will be testing the vehicles- 4X4 systems and capabilities as well as will install petes box. Updates will be put up.
Where are the updates ? Cant see them ? Are they in some other link ?

Quote:
So would it be worth considering to install. Other thing I have in mind is to put a kill switch hidden somewhere.
The more the gadgets, the better it is, I am also fully in agreement to something like kill switch with more than 2 options which can't be overridden, is there a starter fuse in the car ? if we remove it will the car not start but other stuff like immobiliser and security stuff continue to work ? Will check out on my Santro tomorrow.

Quote:
they carry the impact directly on to the chassis thus causing more damage while the crumple zones in the bumpers dont get into play when a guard/ bar is fitted. Will have to think about it. Only advantage I see in real life scenario is that on day to day basis - it is very useful as it saves from many scratches and dents. if nothing else, at least it will keep you busy planning for your new baby which is conceived but not yet delivered.
9 months gestation period. Yup, already have one good contact for accessories, need to get more people involved especially from Karol Bagh.
Whats that blue vision headlamps ? Whats blue about it ? Hellas will be a killer on the car, I guess the Hybrid switch place is empty and the button can be installed there. There have been thoughts that bull bar transfers damage to chassis, however, in serious accidents, dont you think the bullbar will get crushed and bumpers will be hit which will form crumple zones. The timing of hit between both would be milliseconds, so I am still not convinced that having bull bar puts you on more risk in case of major accidents. They are a must for the beast, prevents accidents, gives a good look. Raj will agree on the looks part here.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 10th March 2010 at 22:37.
Old 10th March 2010, 22:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There have been thoughts that bull bar transfers damage to chassis, however, in serious accidents, dont you think the bullbar will get crushed and bumpers will be hit which will form crumple zones. The timing of hit between both would be milliseconds, so I am still not convinced that having bull bar puts you on more risk in case of major accidents. They are a must for the beast, prevents accidents, gives a good look. Raj will agree on the looks part here.
yes, even i have read that bull bars negate the efficiency of crumple zones in an accident. but for a city dweller, he will be faced with more dents & scratches (which can be avoided with a bull bar) and less high speed collisions. also, as tanwaramit said, i dont understand how a bull bar can affect safety adversely. i mean, i dont get the theoretical reasoning.

yes, as amit said, i do feel the bull bar uplifts the scorpio's personality. but then looks are subjective. some may like it, some wont. i love it!
Old 31st March 2010, 13:08   #24
BHPian

Installed Petes & Mini OTR at Thane

7th March - few of the Scorpio fans met at Thane and we installed Petes. Post that it was time to test the 4X4 functionalities. Being an AT with 4X4 , initially we were a bit more cautious and decided to first try it on a relatively easy patch. It was driven by our good friend Guderian here and Kumar was the coach and guide- facilitator.

The Petes was installed by Guderian with able tele-guidance from few good friends on phone. The tool kit, gloves and process oriented approach of Guderian to install it was an experience in itself and no wonder it has been such a neat install.

Emboldened by the success after trial and re-trial, we took it for a lil more difficult off track patch.

It was a team effort and what a fun filled day. The wheel spin induced in 4X4 due to soft sand and vehicle almost liften on a small bump from one side made it quite a sight. Obstacle was negotiated after a few trials, successfully.

The footboard light's wire was the only casualty apart from some nips on the aluminium foot board. Wire was fixed again after the OTR was called off. The loose wire also caused a fuse blown which was later replaced.

Overall it was an excellent demonstration in practicality of the Scorpio in day to day life and dealing with bad roads . It was not a serious off roading that we had attempted and we had kept it deliberately very moderate- primarily due the fact that none of us actually had a prior experience of serious OTR and vehicle in its stock condition, without tow rope , picks shovel etc. may have given us more headache than fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Shrek-II My Scorpio VLX AT 4X4 -Airbags-testing-grounds.jpg  

Shrek-II My Scorpio VLX AT 4X4 -Airbags-recce.jpg  

Shrek-II My Scorpio VLX AT 4X4 -Airbags-bold-decision.jpg  

Shrek-II My Scorpio VLX AT 4X4 -Airbags-action.jpg  

Shrek-II My Scorpio VLX AT 4X4 -Airbags-repair.jpg  

Shrek-II My Scorpio VLX AT 4X4 -Airbags-petes.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 31st March 2010, 14:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

cool, so your car is now PETE'D? whats the noticeable difference?
Old 31st March 2010, 14:23   #26
BHPian

Extended Test Drive- 4687 kms

Inspired and emboldened after the mini-OTR, I finally could muster the courage to drive it to Bihar and back. A similar trip in 2004, in a sedan had actually scared me so badly in daring it due to horrible road conditions that finally, I had to abandon my attempts to reach home and had finally loaded it into a truck back to Mumbai from Allahabad(approx. 500kms short of the destination). Hoping that roads would be comparatively better and Shrek would be able to negotiate the obstacles on the so called motorable roads.

While going - route was Mumbai- Surat - Baroda-Udaipur- Kota-Jhansi- Kanpur-Allahabad- Benaras-Arrah- Patna-Muzaffarpur-Darbhanga .

Till Udaipur- it was excellent roads. Between Udaipur-Chittorgarh, the old road is pock marked but quite scenic. From Chittorgarh- hit the Kota -expressway kind of 4 lane which had just a few diversion- but almost no amenities- like restaurant etc. The road is still under construction at many places. Towards the Kota end, last 18-20 kms is still under construction and the old road was almost like OTR track. Driving through Kota town was almost like driving on Sion -Dharavi road besides LT hospital in the evenings(crowded and disorganised).

Kota-Jhansi was also quite good road. Till here , I was wondering whether I really needed to get Shrek for this trip as obvious compared to Skoda, the FE is almost 60% less ( 10 v/s 16 kmpl).

From Jhansi till Kanpur - the roads are under construction and its here that I actually appreciated Scorpio and glad that I bought a 4X4. Though, I just used it more as a caution, the dirt track had several bumps at diversions and definitely, the under belly of sedan would have got scraped badly.

From Kanpur-till Aarah - it was again dream drive.The bad traffic condition caught up in Aarah didnt leave me till Muzaffarpur. The average speed from Arrah till home was approx 20 kmpl due to traffic and/or bad roads plus some one way bridges / culverts where only one side traffic would be allowed alternately and Auto tranny was a boon.

Distance approx. 2500kms . Overall FE achieved was 12.43 kmpl - full ac. The only hitch was caused by the Petes box. Moment I used to touch about 130kmph (which sometimes was inadvertent due to miles long free concrete stretches with almost no traffic on Chittorgarh-Kota- Kota Jhansi stretch), I used to get an engine check light warning coming up which initially gave me jitters. Later , I figured out that it could be because of the fact that Petes without K&N is causing this as stock air filter is not able to keep pace with the Petes.

Friend HVKumar was available for navigtional aid on phone and so was Guderian for any other assistance and while I was driving on- he was busy checking and re-checking possible causes for engine check warning light. Later confirmed that it could only be because of Petes box without K&N filter.

After reaching home, I unistalled petes and will re-install it after K&N is put in.

Obviously, mostly , I drove in 120-130kmph range on free roads to avoid check engine light. Max I touched was 140kmph.

Returned via- Darbhanga- Muzaffarpur- Patna- Ara-Mohaniya-Benaras-Allahabad- turned towards MauKatni road-Kartal - Ajaigarh- Panna- Khajuraho T junction toawards Chhatarpur Sagar-Bhopal-̀ndore -Sendhwa-Dhule-Nasik.

Roads(which are almost missing) between Allahabad to Chhatarpur Sagar is worth for Scorpios - felt like Bharat Darshan- full of life and vegetation around- a treat for tourist .

This route is approx 460 kms shorter that Udaipur 'Kota - Jhansi road.
Total driving hours while going was around 42 for 2460 kms while coming back it was 37 hours for 2000kms.

I touched a max speed of 155 kmph on Nashik-Mumbai road- after a long time standing on accelerator pedal ( petes unistalled). But it took ages to reach that speed. In fact it inches up very gradually after 100od kmph speed. Its in attaining top speed quicker- Petes box assists a lot- it being an AT - not much difference would be felt in lower gears except that engine revvs up much easily.

Some New Toll gates are ready and trials started on Dhule-Nasik and Nasik-Mumbai-4laners . Some work is still under progress. After Allahabad was in dilemma as to whether to take Satna - Jabalpur- Bhopal route or Nagpur route but Satguide calculated the Sagar route as shortest hence took a chance and was so glad to be in Sagar after almost 20 years and OMG that town has grown so well and so much and ditto for Indore Mhow (-was there after 16 years)-

A dip in Ganges at Allahabad was spur of the moment decision and last dip I had taken almost 28 years ago ( was wondering what had stopped me till now).

M P tourism has a lovely Jungle Camp site at Panna reserve working since Oct last year and got the contact details (anyone interested may pls ask for) .

As mentioned earlier - there was just one opportunity where I used 4X4 more out of eagerness rather than any real need . So 4X4 only gave moral support but no real use was there on this route as yet . But damn happy with AT box - though lil slow & unenthusiastic mostly but did reasonably well in times of need .

There were occassions when felt manual could have worked much better with less weight on accelerator but it was superb for comfort and ease of driving on those roads as I am sure every odd minute there was need to switch from 3 to 2 or 1 and vice versa from Allahabad till Sagar. In fact felt Bihar roads are much better than the roads in that part of UP (Banda distt) and MP (till Sagar).

Brakes did give some anxious moments but ABS worked fine - lack of bite made nervous at a few occasions .

It was the AC that felt ineffective in sun and blowers too noisy even at '2' - at '3' it was too loud and 4 as expected and this can be called the weak link in an overall fantastic vehicle . Wiper water throw setting didn't work well despite all attempts- was not able to clean the wind shield at all and it had to be done in traditional way (water shampoo and wipe in hand ). Need to try few more adjustments of the nozzle before checking the pump if need be.

Satguide was a bit handy in towns and localities which were plenty. Some of the old roads also are missing or misaligned.

Shrek behaved well as expected and happily ate miles of craters dips ditches fresh stone chips etc. under heavy foot as I wanted to test its toughness and reliability on such roads . This trip has improved my impressions about scorpio and no wonder I must have come across at least 200 odd white scorpios in UP and Bihar. It seemed there that anyone who can afford it buys a scorpio and its white. I guess , its because Black color is considered to be slightly risky (not so auspicious). Yes a few Safaris too (only in white or silver) were seen. But roads are full of Boleros in all shades.M & M must have captured almost 90pc of UV market there.

Had gone for 1st Service at Patna(Sonali Motors) and friends who are cribbing about the poor ASCs in Mumbai / Bangalore- must visit at least once here . Perhaps realisation would dawn upon us about your ASC s that how much better they are !! It felt like having taken Shrek to a Quack and hammering it to cure it of its any ailments that its not supposed to have . And less said the better -I still can't believe that an ASC could have such ignorant technicians or mechanics- they seemed like roadside puncture repair wallahs - they didn't even know what all to be done in first service and worse they didn't have the tools for the front differential oil filler nut - and I was nuts to have gone there .

Overall the test drive under all conditions that this trip offered has been a very satisfactory experience. I have started appreciating Scorpio a lil more than earlier for its no-nonsense utilitarian values and toughness. I was mostly merciless in throwing it at all ditches and bumps , broken tarmac, missing roads, gravel, crushed stone chips laid on the dirt roads or whatever- specially in daytime as I had kept all the ASCs no. handy and was in touch with friends who could have reached me in no time on this route. I wanted to test the durability of its suspension as well as axles. To my pleasant surprise , despite all this - the wheel alignment is still good enough. No electronics or mechanical came out loose, no rattles induced and no fuses blown. Of course few scratches on the front bumper have been earned due to an over-enthusiastic motor-cyclist and a very tight U turn scraping a wall at an hour long traffic jam in Arrah. Though none too noticeable.

Now its time to fix bull guard, wndow visor and sun-film with K&N.

Attaching some pics- I dont know how to add captions and organise photo- some pls. guide.
Attached Thumbnails
Shrek-II My Scorpio VLX AT 4X4 -Airbags-225.jpg  

Shrek-II My Scorpio VLX AT 4X4 -Airbags-178.jpg  

Shrek-II My Scorpio VLX AT 4X4 -Airbags-241.jpg  

Shrek-II My Scorpio VLX AT 4X4 -Airbags-268.jpg  

Shrek-II My Scorpio VLX AT 4X4 -Airbags-182.jpg  

Shrek-II My Scorpio VLX AT 4X4 -Airbags-224.jpg  

Shrek-II My Scorpio VLX AT 4X4 -Airbags-233.jpg  

Shrek-II My Scorpio VLX AT 4X4 -Airbags-239.jpg  

Shrek-II My Scorpio VLX AT 4X4 -Airbags-209.jpg  

Shrek-II My Scorpio VLX AT 4X4 -Airbags-243.jpg  

Last edited by shatrughna : 31st March 2010 at 14:25.
Old 31st March 2010, 14:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

hi buddy, your AC is ineffective because your car does not have a sun film. get it ASAP.

for your image uploading worries, go through this, especially point no. 2-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...-team-bhp.html
Old 31st March 2010, 15:09   #28
Senior - BHPian

nice review Shatrughna, Where are the roads ? Except in a picture or two. The AC ineffectiveness, what could be the reason ! The weather isnt too hot at this time of the year at these places. Wonder what would happen when its May/June.

The 4x4 experience in Thane is interesting read. So next time you are going to install petes yourself ? Also, is the wiring for footboards light so low that it got out of its place?
Old 31st March 2010, 16:37   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
hi buddy, your AC is ineffective because your car does not have a sun film. get it ASAP.

for your image uploading worries, go through this, especially point no. 2-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...-team-bhp.html
Thanks for indicating the link. After reading it I had tried resizing pics in ms paint- but it doesnt work much. I am resizing them in Roxio but it takes 6 clicks per photo to open -edit-and save as.

I was looking at some simpler option if it was there- eg. in 1 go all photos get reduced in size?

Seen the attachment option and will use it henceforth.

Quote:
nice review Shatrughna, Where are the roads ? Except in a picture or two. The AC ineffectiveness, what could be the reason ! The weather isnt too hot at this time of the year at these places. Wonder what would happen when its May/June.

The 4x4 experience in Thane is interesting read. So next time you are going to install petes yourself ? Also, is the wiring for footboards light so low that it got out of its place?
Most of the road from Allahabad( Rewa) till Sagar was like as seen in the pic. Road was not there.Only tarmac stretch in this road I got near Panna Sanctuary. The road was very scenic full of life. There was almost a 10-15 kms stretch somewhere in between where view was absolutely breathtaking- road was lined by lovely trees- bloomed with red flowers as you see in one of the pics.

As Raj has mentioned- we would have to put sun film to make ac effective. Though I used removable sun screen( one with a suction pad in centre) still the heat was too much for comfort.

the wiring for footboard lignder the footboard and it got entangled with some stub / remains of a plant- and it got sheared off. Will have to explore other options to re-route these wires before serious offroading. Apart from this aluminium sheets also are to be fixed under the engine and body to guard some innards.

Last edited by shatrughna : 31st March 2010 at 16:50.
Old 31st March 2010, 16:58   #30
BHPian

I am feeling the same with AC here in Nagpur, just a note my previous VLX didn't had any film and still it was ok in Nagpur summer, but the refreshed one seem to lose the plot, I am looking for sun film, talked to one and he mentioned to have garware RTO approved one which I am intereseted in, garware provides a certificate of approval is what I am told.
VLX front windshield has rain sensor, has anyone tried using front windshield sun film and does the rain sensor work after the film?
Let me know if I go for film I will be going all around including front windshield, the Garware front windshield film comes with 5 year warranty.

-Pramod
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks