Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2010, 07:26   #46
Senior - BHPian

Hi Shatrughna, closing on some other items before booking it. Need to go to my accessory shop friend in Gurgaon, will check out with them on some jugaad for gear lock. That Shaktiman lights are awesome, not sure about sourcing them, however where there is a will there is a way, eveything is possible. Let me get my hands on beast first

How is your beast doing now ? I guess this is your primary drive now.
Old 1st June 2010, 15:30   #47
BHPian

Completed 11000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Hi Shatrughna, closing on some other items before booking it. Need to go to my accessory shop friend in Gurgaon, will check out with them on some jugaad for gear lock. That Shaktiman lights are awesome, not sure about sourcing them, however where there is a will there is a way, eveything is possible. Let me get my hands on beast first

How is your beast doing now ? I guess this is your primary drive now.
Have completed 11000kms two weeks back. Trouble free so far. First service at Sonali Motors -Patna, Second at KS Motors- Udaipur. Recently back from trip to Dehradun from Mumbai. KS Motors is a good facility and worth a visit. Sonali Motors is equally lousy.

Best FE so far 12.4 kmpl on highways, average FE-10.5 kmpl . Highway speeds as much car could go and road would permit.

Initial pick up is too slow( it feels slow) but as speed builds up, goes well. Used to lousy braking so not much discomfort felt .
No problems with electronics so far. No opportunity to engage 4*4.

AC is lousy. Perhaps need to check ac gas.

How about your decision to purchase?
Old 15th June 2010, 15:42   #48
BHPian

Completed 14K kms yesterday on my way back from Somnath. Car has been trouble free on the highways doing good speeds. Relatively, no change in FE.

Some beep sounds are audible sometimes but nothing shown on dashboard but since, there is no adverse change in performance so not worried much.

Its due for 3rd service. Got to fix the rear right footboard light( wire came out loose due to a unsuspecting stick that got stuck on highway and sheered off the wire from the joint), do some R&D for the beep sounds, tyre rotation, engine oil , differential oil, coolant changed.
Cleaning the airfilter and diesel filter/ replacement will be done as per the service advisors guidance.

Now praying for a good opportunity for using 4X4 somewhere closer to Mumbai. Lets see when it materialises.
Old 15th June 2010, 15:52   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Completed 14K kms yesterday on my way back from Somnath. Car has been trouble free on the highways doing good speeds. Relatively, no change in FE.

Some beep sounds are audible sometimes but nothing shown on dashboard but since, there is no adverse change in performance so not worried much.

Its due for 3rd service. Got to fix the rear right footboard light( wire came out loose due to a unsuspecting stick that got stuck on highway and sheered off the wire from the joint), do some R&D for the beep sounds, tyre rotation, engine oil , differential oil, coolant changed.
Cleaning the airfilter and diesel filter/ replacement will be done as per the service advisors guidance.

Now praying for a good opportunity for using 4X4 somewhere closer to Mumbai. Lets see when it materialises.
Those might be the speed warning beeps.
they have been set to beep at 140km\hr as default by mahindra.
Old 15th June 2010, 15:56   #50
BHPian

@Akshay- no , that beep sound is definitely not of the speed warning, or pen drive detected, or bluetooth connected, or any normal / regular alert. I have tried all things that I can think of. Normally, an alert like tyre pressure loss is accompanied by a visual warning on the dash too which I see none.
OT- I have reset speed warning @150kmph.
Old 8th July 2010, 10:37   #51
BHPian

any update on the beep sound and other related to 3rd service ?

-Pramod
Old 25th February 2011, 11:02   #52
BHPian

Re: Shrek-II My Scorpio VLX AT 4X4 -Airbags

Realised now that since, July10 never updated the thread.
Beep sound was taken care of with reset of tyre pressure monitoring system. At 18000kms , somewhere in end Dec 2010, started feeling some drag in the transmission system and often would feel stuck in a specific gear ( guessing by rpm v/s speed calculations). It wouldnt smoothly upshift gear as it would normally do.

It was due for service I guessed. So spoke to nearby authorised workshop but being full towards year end/ weekend - may be people wanted to get their cars serviced before some outstation trip planned for new year, so I got an appt. for 1st week Jan 2011.

Some hiccups in the window winders had also crept it and doors needed some greasing. Day 1 car was not returned , then waited for day2, day 3 followed up then got a call from Mahindra regional service /works manager regretting incovenenience due to delay and they offered an alternate ride. Suddenly thoughts of Pramod's ordeal at Leh flashed through mind. On enquiry found that it was some oil change needed in the automatic transmission box of slightly better viscosity costing something in the range of 9K plus. As per me , it should have been covered under warranty so feebly argued and they readily agreed , to my surprise. I was indebted due to their kind gesture of offering an alternate car ( Innova) so couldnt blame them for being unfair.

Realised that resetting automatic transmission oil and then gears is not a simple exercise. Anyway, it was done by 6th day and car was delivered back to me.

But the initial enthusiasm had died and also felt that car was sluggish as compared to Shrek I, pick up ( acceleration was slow- naturally). Sometimes badly missed Shrek I with manual transmission for quick take offs. Though on FE aspects and top speed matters too , Shrek II was evenly matched due to 6th gear.

Another reason was that my pete's box remained unused due to non-availability of any matching K&N filter. In trial runs, found that engine check warning light came up at speeds in excess of 130kmph so no point using it and also due to several other reasons, it was not such a fun in AT vehicle.

So, I have gone for an exchange through Mahindra dealer with great help from regional M&M team , First choice, local dealer and above all a friend who coordinated it all well. Shrek III has arrived- just the same replica of Shrek II. just few changes noticed is that rear flap/mud cover is black and not body colored ( white ) unlike as in Shrek II, the 4x4 selection knob is on left side of the florr console rather than on the right side and the inside levers for opening doors are differently shaped and poorer quality - though designed for looks a bit better with separate levers for locking unlocking unlike push in , pull out function of earlier levers. Most desirable change is 'Micro hybrid' as it is BSIV unlike Shrek I & II which was BSIII. When I picked up ShrekII , micro hybrid was available but not in AT version.

Shrek II is fully loaded with all refresh features like 2 din, bluetooth stereo, blueish lamps and 2 airbags in front. Tyre pressure monitoring system has been a victim of cost optimisation. Shrek I had all 5 tyre sensors including stepney but shrek II and III both have only 4 tyres monitored.

Will update about Shrek III in a separate thread.
Old 25th February 2011, 13:58   #53
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see the thread back to life again. I have heard that Scorpio Automatic box does not need any oil change in its entire life. i dont know if its true.

How will you rate the performance of Automatic Box? I am looking for a 4x2 AT version.
Old 25th February 2011, 19:35   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
I have heard that Scorpio Automatic box does not need any oil change in its entire life. i dont know if its true.
Yup, you heard right. It is factory filled and sealed and lasts throughout the life of the vehicle.
Old 26th February 2011, 05:43   #55
Senior - BHPian

so the vehicle is gone in one year. congrats on AT, your third scorpio. You are an amazing M&M fan.

Sad to see the issues on AT box, hope this vehicle serves you well.

Awaiting more pictures of the Shrek III
Old 26th February 2011, 07:51   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the new acquisition, shatrughna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Tyre pressure monitoring system has been a victim of cost optimisation. Shrek I had all 5 tyre sensors including stepney but shrek II and III both have only 4 tyres monitored.
Nope, TPMS works on all 5 tyres, just that the display shows 4, until the spare tyre is low on pressure - in which case the TPMS beeps and blinks.
Old 28th February 2011, 18:29   #57
BHPian

Just sharing my experience with TPMS. Mods please move this if posted on the wrong thread. Yesterday evening, me and wife went out for a bit of offroading in my Scorpio vlx 4X4. We first negotiated a small piece of forest land near the city and planned to head out later to more remote regions. Soon a warning chime began sounding at intervals and a warning light came up in the display. I could see that the front left tyre was flashing and the pressure began dropping. Realising we had a puncture and it was getting dark, I immediately headed for the city and the nearest tubeless tyre repair joint. The pressure was dropping and the frequency of the chime increased, however there was no change in steering effort, hence I climed down to have a look and sure enough the pressure was low. We managed to reach the tyre shop in about 25-30 minutes and the pressure had dropped to 14.6. A huge thorn was found to be the culprit and the repair done in 5 mins flat. Had it not been for the TPMS, I would have known of the punture much later when we would have been in the middle of nowhere and the tyre absolutely flat. TPMS saved the day!

Last edited by dr_anurag : 28th February 2011 at 18:59.
Old 1st March 2011, 10:47   #58
BHPian

How much does this beauty cost? The M& M have really improved a lot on thier offerings. The India Automobile Giants are really improving a lot to come to the international level.
Old 1st March 2011, 22:56   #59
BHPian

The Scorpio VLX (manual) BS IV with airbags and 4X4 mode costs 12.34 lakhs on road in Bhopal. Indeed the technology, M&M have put in makes it truly value for money.
Old 14th January 2012, 11:43   #60

Dear Pramod & Shatrughna & all Scorpio AT owners,

Researching for an AT SUV. I already own a Captiva. While looking at Fortuner, Endeavour, Santa Fe & Koleos, I suddenly came across Scorpio AT and realized that here's an AT SUV with very good VFM.

But I am a bit obsessed about quality and simply hate little niggles and sounds. The last thing that I want to do is to take the car to the service center for a anything apart from regular service.

Although I want an SUV, I am not going to do any off roading ever in my life. My weekly travel is going to be 600 kms on the same road.

Should I consider the Scorpio AT against Fortuner, Endeavour, Koleos & Santa Fe.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks