Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2010, 22:32   #16
BHPian

First Drive

Manza Fist Drive/Info Report:

The first thing I noticed about the Manza was that it is remarkably silent inside the cabin than any of the previous multi-jets I have driven. Love it for its fantastic all round view of the car from the driver’s seat. SUV type mirrors which give a good view of things that are going on at the rear / side of the car. Wife doesn’t like this prefers a view in which the boot of the manza is not seen and likes a view which I think is more away from the car. However I like it this way at least I know which vehicle behind me likes to get touchy or as how close the touchy idiot is to my car and how much margin I have to take my car to either side and what not.

The interiors of the Manza are so massive when compared to the other cars that I have driven it almost feels like I am driving a huge limo heh, and initially when the Exterior body image of the car was just growing up on me I used to honk loud and hard at anything that moved on the roads. Only after a few unavoidable slow moving bumper to bumper traffic later did I realize that the manza is a car which has taken the Inside out design to a completely different level. A level that makes other similar sized cars look ridiculous, for the amount of space that they have not utilized. How do I put it? It’s like a house which reads 1700 sq ft on paper but when you step in, (the rooms/hall etc) feel like it is 5000 sq ft.

The car is decent on the inside. It could have been designed/styled better. Would have loved the Aluminum black with a touch of metal look. Rounder /wider classy looking air vents. And definitely a rear air con at least in the top 2 variants. The A/c does its job well however it gets chilly at the front in a minute however takes a while longer for the passengers at the back to feel it. A/c on full blow is full blow and on zero it stops. Thank god it is not like some other so called reputed manufacturers who seem to forget zero means off and not puffing air through the vents.
Overall fit and finish is passable and will last the lifetime from the feel of it. The child lock for me is god sent (at the driver side arm rest) (Although I use it when adults are around heh) I hate it when people at the rear keep opening their window every now and then to throw that plastic bottle on the road, and to click some pic of that cute lil baby in the other car and what have you, to even clicking pics of that chick with the latest must have footwear and GOD!! Thank you TML for the Adult lock.
The glove box is large,Deep and extremely spacious and lights in it add to the pleasure of opening it. Fabric inside (Dash board/Steering etc) feels ok, not as great as the Linea (which for me was top of the line touch and touch all you want kind). Seat belts do their job is comfortable for me as well as my wife, not adjustable but neatly placed and does not feel like it is a rope going across you.
The Gear Knob is about the right size and is placed at a comfortable angle/place (and comes with a nice looking leather cover). The gear does not need any wrestling and slots into place nicely and in a very neat manner ( by far the best in any of the TATA cars). It is a case of TATA engineers doing a better job than the ones working on the Linea. This doesn’t mean TATA’s are better than the Maruti’s in my household. While it beats the Zen, the Dzire’s gearbox is something which is brilliant the TATA’s have improved a lot and are getting there. However a lot of experimenting is needed before they master this and graduate to the class of the big boys.
What for me have gone almost unnoticed are the torque ratings of the Manza. 200Nm of torque at RPM’s which are easily achievable 1750>rpm makes the Manza a fantastic drive. This probably is the one reason that my wife enjoys driving the manza. Gear changes (every now and then be it however good the gearshift maybe) ruin the fun of driving. The low end torque makes up shifting the Manza a reality at city conditions unlike other cars which have max torques at higher Rpm’s and need a gear shift for slower speeds. Also as any serious T-bhpian would know, frequent gear changes ruin the FE (to some extent) and this is probably the reason that even though the Manza comes with an ARAI figure of 14 in the city achieving 16+ is easy. I have an FE of 15.3 AVG in the city (100% ac). DIS strangely shows 15.7(however would rely more on my calculations) at least for the initial few days.
The steering of the Manza is precise however would have loved it to be more direct. The car does well at corners and is comfortable. Would have loved the seats to be a little deeper to hold and envelope the passengers like some of the higher segment cars. Maybe the TATA’s have had enough of pampering us. Heh. And would like to remind us that this is a 7Lakhs+ on road car and not a 20 lakhs luxury.
Speaking of prices I paid 7.34 lakhs for this car Aura (ABS) Quadrajet. Its Dew white (has been called porcelain, Pearl and cream and what not?) As far as I know it is Dew white, my brochure says so, my dealer says so, TML website says. And yes it costs 5000 rupees extra.

Niggles?? None so far. Would like to mention the importance of PDI for a TATA car. My PDI went on for 2 hours. Had 3 of my friends join me. T-bhp list was extremely helpful, also had a list of previous TATA niggles and a list (if I may call it that) from one of the cab drivers at my place of work (which was freaking hilarious). But I didn’t want to risk anything, the guys at Concorde thought we were crazy, and honestly we are heh, but I guess I am paying 7 lakhs for the car right? VFM or no VFM would love a car that is trouble free don’t want to be a guinea pig I prefer being a human.

So I guess that’s about it, would love to answer direct questions that you guys might have. Have covered most of the things that come to mind. Have also uploaded a few pics, most of it is extremely amateurish. But I can’t be good at everything right? Heh Would try to pen down something about my drives in the Highways however ever since the new Royal Majestic beast has entered the household, time spent at home is very minuscule.

Last edited by kingpin1 : 16th March 2010 at 22:38. Reason: Typos
Old 16th March 2010, 22:46   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin1 View Post
Have also uploaded a few pics, most of it is extremely amateurish. But I can’t be good at everything right?
where are the photos?
and good review.
Old 16th March 2010, 22:58   #18
BHPian

Manza (QJD AURA ABS)..My Royal White Beast!!-dscn0853.jpg

Right outer side view mirror.

Manza (QJD AURA ABS)..My Royal White Beast!!-dscn0854.jpg

Rear View mirror tried to capture the entire view however i think this is the best shot even though i failed to get the whole mirror.Pic provides a reasonable view.

Manza (QJD AURA ABS)..My Royal White Beast!!-dscn0855.jpg

Co-passenger side mirror.

Manza (QJD AURA ABS)..My Royal White Beast!!-dscn0856.jpg

A pic of the display this in sunlight. Unfortunately forgot to turn on the car for the DIS.

Manza (QJD AURA ABS)..My Royal White Beast!!-dscn0858.jpg

A view from the back of the car.

Manza (QJD AURA ABS)..My Royal White Beast!!-dscn0861.jpg

Rear side view or whatever self explanatory pic i guess!! Whew uploading pics on t-bhp is not easy.
Old 16th March 2010, 23:13   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhil@Bengaluru View Post
where are the photos?
and good review.
Man you are quick! Gimme a few seconds haha Thought would write something along with the pic so the pics are of some use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats dude on the Manza. It looks good in White having spotted one myself.

Please post the pics by the way
Thank You. Although if you ask me Monarch Red with dark tints look good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Congrats kingpin1. Appreciate you chose Indian brand over the similar Italian !
Awaiting pics and more information on its drive, handling & utility factor of this baby from Tata.

Prem.
Wait no more! Pics have been uploaded. And if you have any more Q's please shoot.Would love to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Congrats kingping1 on your ownership.
Very sure the white Manza would look ROYAL on road.

Your post with the frank comparison to others in the segment was very helpful, especially your impression of the Fiesta. Manza over Fiesta must be mind over heart isn't it!!!

Also great to know your wife likes to drive the manza. I always wondered how women will take to this huge car.

Please put in detail your Mangalore trip; and also initial niggles, if any. Hope there are none.

And PICS PLEASE!!!!
Mangalore trip update soon. Like i said IPL + New car = Almost no time. heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by adits View Post
The third person referring to the Manza as a beast. btw what's royal about your white beast as compared to windiesel's?
haha it is the same royal beasty looking baby in white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
You're not alone, friend. There're plenty more henpecked husbands out there. So relax, rejoice and POST SOME PICS for heaven's sake, lest I should complain to your wife!

It is a beast, albeit a feline and graceful one. It does'nt have in your face butch looks like SX-4, neither does it have a strap on boot job like a Dzire.

Hey kingpin, did you have to pay the 5K extra for white too? which shade is your white?
No strap on's, No boot jobs, Just a complete C segment "sedan". Yes paid an Extra 5k. Its called the Dew-White and Dew white only.

Last edited by kingpin1 : 16th March 2010 at 23:14.
Old 16th March 2010, 23:27   #20
BHPian

Hey! That was a Nice report on the car. Good pictures too.
Old 16th March 2010, 23:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!
Are you planning for the tints and alloys?
Which make is the stock tyres?
Old 17th March 2010, 00:04   #22
BHPian

Thanks

Quote:
Man you are quick! Gimme a few seconds haha Thought would write something along with the pic so the pics are of some use..
Was eagerly waiting to see Manza in white.
Thanks for the pics and enjoy your drive.
Now after the Manza's arrival i have started to search reasons to take car to office (i usually take office cab) So atleast once in a week i get one or the other reason to rake the car :-)
Old 17th March 2010, 09:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Congrats! The car looks great in white. Just needs 2 crossed tricolors on the dash and a neta topi. Drive safe. Enjoy her.
Old 17th March 2010, 09:46   #24
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 309316

A pic of the display this in sunlight. Unfortunately forgot to turn on the car for the DIS.
How did you manage to get a mirror image pic? Everything is reversed (see the Tata logo on the Console for clues)
Old 17th March 2010, 09:58   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Congrats!
Are you planning for the tints and alloys?
Which make is the stock tyres?
Tint yes,However wife is not comfortable driving the car at night and want her to get used to the Manza before i go for the Tints.
Alloys though i would love it.I might go for it only in the later half of the year.Think alloys might add a diffrent dimension to the Manza's looks.
Stock Tyres are the Bridgestone's 185/60/15 (if i am not mistaken).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhil@Bengaluru View Post
Was eagerly waiting to see Manza in white.
Thanks for the pics and enjoy your drive.
Now after the Manza's arrival i have started to search reasons to take car to office (i usually take office cab) So atleast once in a week i get one or the other reason to rake the car :-)
haha enjoy your drive!
Had a 1st service q. Can we delay it? My 1st month (free service) is due on the 23rd of this month can i delay it by another 15-20 days? Or will i have to end up paying if i miss the due date?
Old 17th March 2010, 10:26   #26
BHPian

Quote:
haha enjoy your drive!
Had a 1st service q. Can we delay it? My 1st month (free service) is due on the 23rd of this month can i delay it by another 15-20 days? Or will i have to end up paying if i miss the due date?
I think you can delay the servicing by few days. My 1st serve was scheduled for 18th Jan but i got it done on Feb 1st.(at 1400 kms on ODO)

Better get the sunfilm installed soon.
Old 17th March 2010, 23:00   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adits View Post
How did you manage to get a mirror image pic? Everything is reversed (see the Tata logo on the Console for clues)
HAHA search me! I am clueless.
Old 18th March 2010, 09:50   #28
BHPian

Guys can any one of you recommend a place in Bangalore where i can get tints.? Some colleagues of mine got it done from some guy in JC Road! Concorde does it but i think i can get a better deal outside.
Old 18th March 2010, 13:52   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Guys can any one of you recommend a place in Bangalore where i can get tints.? Some colleagues of mine got it done from some guy in JC Road! Concorde does it but i think i can get a better deal outside.
I got it done at Concorde (for side and back glasses) and did not like the quality of the work.
For the front windshield got it done from V Kool dealer. even though it was costly but the effect and work was carried out was good.
Suggestion try to get it done other than any Tata Dealers.
Old 19th March 2010, 16:33   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Manza Fist Drive/Info Report:

The first thing I noticed about the Manza was that it is remarkably silent inside the cabin than any of the previous multi-jets I have driven. Love it for its fantastic all round view of the car from the driver’s seat. SUV type mirrors which give a good view of things that are going on at the rear / side of the car. Wife doesn’t like this prefers a view in which the boot of the manza is not seen and likes a view which I think is more away from the car. However I like it this way at least I know which vehicle behind me likes to get touchy or as how close the touchy idiot is to my car and how much margin I have to take my car to either side and what not.

The interiors of the Manza are so massive when compared to the other cars that I have driven it almost feels like I am driving a huge limo heh, and initially when the Exterior body image of the car was just growing up on me I used to honk loud and hard at anything that moved on the roads. Only after a few unavoidable slow moving bumper to bumper traffic later did I realize that the manza is a car which has taken the Inside out design to a completely different level. A level that makes other similar sized cars look ridiculous, for the amount of space that they have not utilized. How do I put it? It’s like a house which reads 1700 sq ft on paper but when you step in, (the rooms/hall etc) feel like it is 5000 sq ft.

The car is decent on the inside. It could have been designed/styled better. Would have loved the Aluminum black with a touch of metal look. Rounder /wider classy looking air vents. And definitely a rear air con at least in the top 2 variants. The A/c does its job well however it gets chilly at the front in a minute however takes a while longer for the passengers at the back to feel it. A/c on full blow is full blow and on zero it stops. Thank god it is not like some other so called reputed manufacturers who seem to forget zero means off and not puffing air through the vents.
Overall fit and finish is passable and will last the lifetime from the feel of it. The child lock for me is god sent (at the driver side arm rest) (Although I use it when adults are around heh) I hate it when people at the rear keep opening their window every now and then to throw that plastic bottle on the road, and to click some pic of that cute lil baby in the other car and what have you, to even clicking pics of that chick with the latest must have footwear and GOD!! Thank you TML for the Adult lock.
The glove box is large,Deep and extremely spacious and lights in it add to the pleasure of opening it. Fabric inside (Dash board/Steering etc) feels ok, not as great as the Linea (which for me was top of the line touch and touch all you want kind). Seat belts do their job is comfortable for me as well as my wife, not adjustable but neatly placed and does not feel like it is a rope going across you.
The Gear Knob is about the right size and is placed at a comfortable angle/place (and comes with a nice looking leather cover). The gear does not need any wrestling and slots into place nicely and in a very neat manner ( by far the best in any of the TATA cars). It is a case of TATA engineers doing a better job than the ones working on the Linea. This doesn’t mean TATA’s are better than the Maruti’s in my household. While it beats the Zen, the Dzire’s gearbox is something which is brilliant the TATA’s have improved a lot and are getting there. However a lot of experimenting is needed before they master this and graduate to the class of the big boys.
What for me have gone almost unnoticed are the torque ratings of the Manza. 200Nm of torque at RPM’s which are easily achievable 1750>rpm makes the Manza a fantastic drive. This probably is the one reason that my wife enjoys driving the manza. Gear changes (every now and then be it however good the gearshift maybe) ruin the fun of driving. The low end torque makes up shifting the Manza a reality at city conditions unlike other cars which have max torques at higher Rpm’s and need a gear shift for slower speeds. Also as any serious T-bhpian would know, frequent gear changes ruin the FE (to some extent) and this is probably the reason that even though the Manza comes with an ARAI figure of 14 in the city achieving 16+ is easy. I have an FE of 15.3 AVG in the city (100% ac). DIS strangely shows 15.7(however would rely more on my calculations) at least for the initial few days.
The steering of the Manza is precise however would have loved it to be more direct. The car does well at corners and is comfortable. Would have loved the seats to be a little deeper to hold and envelope the passengers like some of the higher segment cars. Maybe the TATA’s have had enough of pampering us. Heh. And would like to remind us that this is a 7Lakhs+ on road car and not a 20 lakhs luxury.
Speaking of prices I paid 7.34 lakhs for this car Aura (ABS) Quadrajet. Its Dew white (has been called porcelain, Pearl and cream and what not?) As far as I know it is Dew white, my brochure says so, my dealer says so, TML website says. And yes it costs 5000 rupees extra.

Niggles?? None so far. Would like to mention the importance of PDI for a TATA car. My PDI went on for 2 hours. Had 3 of my friends join me. T-bhp list was extremely helpful, also had a list of previous TATA niggles and a list (if I may call it that) from one of the cab drivers at my place of work (which was freaking hilarious). But I didn’t want to risk anything, the guys at Concorde thought we were crazy, and honestly we are heh, but I guess I am paying 7 lakhs for the car right? VFM or no VFM would love a car that is trouble free don’t want to be a guinea pig I prefer being a human.

So I guess that’s about it, would love to answer direct questions that you guys might have. Have covered most of the things that come to mind. Have also uploaded a few pics, most of it is extremely amateurish. But I can’t be good at everything right? Heh Would try to pen down something about my drives in the Highways however ever since the new Royal Majestic beast has entered the household, time spent at home is very minuscule.
My sentiments exactly. See my post on windiesel's Manza http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1774905

I do remember a few peculiar things. The windows lock (the lock on the driver's armrest that locks the windows from being rolled up or down) is actually reversed. There is a small red light on it that glows when it is unlocked and vice versa. Is this the case with all Manzas?

Another grouse (we are getting picky aren't we?) - The up-down buttons on the steering to control the audio system. When listening to the FM stations as I normally do, pressing these buttons actually sends the system to scan the frequencies in that direction while I would prefer it to move to the next programmed station. Any comments from anyone?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks