Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2010, 14:36   #271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithleshsridhar View Post
gr8.. and SKIDS looks kewl.. perhaps if it can transform and protect your car. .

I so badly wish that bro
Old 24th November 2010, 16:03   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
I so badly wish that bro
Alston, have a look: This is voice activated cam which can be mounted on the windscreen for the survilance purpose.

Review:  My new Chevrolet Beat-28087918.jpg

Review:  My new Chevrolet Beat-90756737.jpg

Review:  My new Chevrolet Beat-35803149.jpg
eBay India: 2Gb Mini Video Recorder With Car Mounting Stand: (item 310273671812 end time 26-Nov-2010 23:58:48 IST)
Old 24th November 2010, 16:39   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Alston, have a look: This is voice activated cam which can be mounted on the windscreen for the survilance purpose.

Thanks Sajit, I have already ordered this one last week, its already on its way to my address.
Its an IR camera (records in darkness)
works on rechargable battery
stores video on SD MMC supporting upto 32GB
wirelessly transfres video to the lcd screen (i am yet to confirm on this feature)
etc etc
Attached Thumbnails
Review:  My new Chevrolet Beat-dvr001av_01.jpg  

Review:  My new Chevrolet Beat-dvr001av_03.jpg  

Review:  My new Chevrolet Beat-dvr001av_02.jpg  

Old 24th November 2010, 17:15   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sajit, I have already ordered this one last week, its already on its way to my address.
Its an IR camera (records in darkness)
works on rechargable battery
stores video on SD MMC supporting upto 32GB
wirelessly transfres video to the lcd screen (i am yet to confirm on this feature)
etc etc
Happy film hrs BTW, how much is this?
Old 24th November 2010, 17:37   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Happy film hrs BTW, how much is this?
Thanks, this one costs

Rs 5133.54 or $ 109.98
Old 24th November 2010, 21:38   #276
Senior - BHPian

Hey Alston, it ios really annoying why people have such bad habits. I remember, some scratched profanity on my bro-in-laws SUV's bonnet once, thankfully he had downgraded to a Safari at that time.

Anyways, forget about taking it to the showroom, those guys think money regenerates in our pockets. Paint an entire hood for a damn small scratch.

Do tyhe following (though it may not entirely remove the scratch, it may atleast minimize the pain bit)

1. If you have rubbing compound, apply it over the scratch.
2. Use your fingers to work the paste around the scratch nicely, firmly, across the scratch.
3. You are basically rubbing paint / clear coat from surroounding areas to cover the scratch
4. Do it for a minute or two then let it stay for a few seconds
5. Then use a cloth, lint free to rub the entire paste out, again think of the buffing procedure when rubbin it out
6. The scratch should have considerably diminished
7. Then apply moto wax / polish over the area and buff again
8. This should have reduced almost all or atleast 60% of the damage

It has worked on my others cars wonderfully, several times
Old 24th November 2010, 22:13   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Hey Alston, it ios really annoying why people have such bad habits. I remember, some scratched profanity on my bro-in-laws SUV's bonnet once, thankfully he had downgraded to a Safari at that time.
Thanks DC for the elaborate step by step procedures. When the scratch was fresh it stood out really well, looked white initially. Now its faded and seems to have blended with the paint. I waxed the scratch cavity with Formula 1 carnauba wax the next day I saw it cos I did not want any rust build up. The Chevy guy did quote a rough estimate of 4k but I will think about it. Still 7500 on the odo, so before the next service is due at 10k I hope that guy has put up another scratch and this time I will catch him on camera

Any idea about the scratch pens we see on tv? I was also thinking of buying a touch up set of paint and clearcoat which is available on ebay usa for covering up such scars which will save a lot on paint costs at the dealers. All we need to do is specify the colour code of the paint and the right product will be sent over.
Old 25th November 2010, 16:17   #278
BHPian

Ok guys, another bad news

This happened last monday, forgot to take my car's windscreen shade, as I realised that when I parked the car in office. Left it at home due to the sunday wash. The weather was cloudy so thought that it would rain later during the day, hence I did not keep a bit of the driver side window open (which I normally do)

Surprisingly the weather was bright and sunny all day, which I realised later and in the evening when it was time to start the car and go home, I noticed something strange. It looked like someone broke into the car and smashed the ACC display. I was confused as to how such a thing could happen as there was no sign of any vandalism.

When I touched the display it was slightly oily, that's when my brain told me to smell my finger and I immediately knew that it was the smell of the car perfume - Ambi-Pur.

The perfume trailed down from the bottle when the interiors got heated and since it was a new bottle, the liquid easily seeped out and trailed till it reached the ACC display. Surprisingly the dash did not get damaged much excect a small patch near the vent. Its only the ACC display that got cracked as if it reacted with acid.

I called up Chevy and they said that the whole ACC panel with knobs can be purchased and not just the display, cost for the whole ACC panel - 10,000 bucks

Have a look at the pictures guys. Seems like a bad week for my car
Attached Thumbnails
Review:  My new Chevrolet Beat-image1220.jpg  

Review:  My new Chevrolet Beat-image1221.jpg  

Review:  My new Chevrolet Beat-image1222.jpg  

Old 25th November 2010, 16:27   #279
BHPian

10k is hell lot of a money. Hey did you mention to A.S.S that it was the perfume which is the culprit? Are you sure that was the cause? I had times when the same thing happened with me. One time the perfume bottle accidently fell on my mobile, and it got all over the display. But there was no crack or any reaction. Even the scratch guard was safe and fine. I suspect on the fact that the perfume reacted with the display and caused this trouble. May be its the extra heat that made it expand and eventually crack on the weakest point? If that is the case you should get it covered under warranty no?
Old 25th November 2010, 16:29   #280
Senior - BHPian

God. I didnt know perfumes can cause that muc damage. That is real bad man.

With reference to your other post, try rubbing compound. It is entirely differnt from wax and is meant for thick scratches. Make sure you do not apply the compund on other spots, as it is very strong and can cause damage if left for long.

As for the pens, check out the reviews on google. Complete fraud and waste of money. Even I wanted to buy one as they make it seem so easy on tv. It is basically the application of a clear coat into the scratch, but it dries up in about 30 seconds and the whole tube / pen becomes like cement after being opened. Futher, most often it stands out.

Not sure about the paint and clear coat bit though.
Old 25th November 2010, 18:18   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
10k is hell lot of a money. Hey did you mention to A.S.S that it was the perfume which is the culprit? Are you sure that was the cause? I had times when the same thing happened with me. One time the perfume bottle accidently fell on my mobile, and it got all over the display. But there was no crack or any reaction. Even the scratch guard was safe and fine. I suspect on the fact that the perfume reacted with the display and caused this trouble. May be its the extra heat that made it expand and eventually crack on the weakest point? If that is the case you should get it covered under warranty no?

I am dead sure its the perfume, checkout the pic attached as I have highlighted the trail the perfume took in red and black highlights reflects the damage done. Yes, the heat added to the trouble and hence made the display crack. 10k is obviously an overkill, so I am thinking of procuring the same part or similar one can be made in bangalore. Another option is to get one from a totalled car in a scrapyard.
Attached Thumbnails
Review:  My new Chevrolet Beat-image1222.jpg  

Last edited by alstonlobo : 25th November 2010 at 18:21.
Old 25th November 2010, 21:12   #282
BHPian

Alstonlobo, sorry to know about the damage to the ACC panel. 10K is steep and I also doubt the quality of the panel. I suggest you mail GM regarding this ( price and quality ). Perhaps, as a goodwill gesture, the company might offer you a better deal.
Old 25th November 2010, 22:00   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-one View Post
Alstonlobo, sorry to know about the damage to the ACC panel. 10K is steep and I also doubt the quality of the panel. I suggest you mail GM regarding this ( price and quality ). Perhaps, as a goodwill gesture, the company might offer you a better deal.
Good idea buddy, I shall do that and send them this link too so that they will know we are not just some regular Chevrolet customers, but the ones who worship our cars
Old 26th November 2010, 09:10   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Good idea buddy, I shall do that and send them this link too so that they will know we are not just some regular Chevrolet customers, but the ones who worship our cars
+1 to that. I still have hope that GM can do something regarding this. After all its just a fiber part no, not much costly thing to procure. So GM may help you getting the damaged part only.
Old 26th November 2010, 09:19   #285
BANNED

Do you have some kind of plastic wrap still attached to the display? It looks like plastic wrap is still attached. Why don't you peel it off and see how it looks?

That liquid causing a crack in the panel is highly unlikely. Looks to me like the plastic wrap got detached from the panel.

Most Viewed