Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2010, 09:56   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpmeister View Post
Hey alstan,

Congrats & many more miles to burn on ur Bea(u)t(y)!!!

have been reading ur posts ... im 5'9 .have taken the Beat TD once but am not so sure abt the road visibility.... u think its more fun to drive dan the Figo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshatverma1979 View Post
Dont worry about the visibility if you're 5'9".You'll have no trouble at all.Also it's definitely more fun to drive than the petrol figo.diesel is another thing altogether.

Hey dude, with akshat completely. I am 5'11". When I first sat in the driver's seat of this car, I had mixed feelings on the visibility front. I was skeptical, nervous, alert etc etc, but later got used to the dynamics of the car and my judgement does all the manouvering, though the bonnet restricts complete visibility, I get a feeling that I am driving a 'big car' and it feels real good.

But the A pillar is a blind spot when it comes to looking before turning. Have to do a little bit of leaning forward or backwards to get visibilty from what the A pillar blocks me from.

Overall it is a wonderful city car with a nice driving posture and road visibility.
Old 2nd May 2010, 20:33   #122
BHPian

Two months have almost passed and these are the pics post the wash she got today, Amway shampoo, F1 Carnauba wax, F1 dashboard cleaner, F1 tyre foam and lots of love and care, my baby still smiles with all the pampering she got today just like every Sunday
Attached Thumbnails
Review:  My new Chevrolet Beat-image0590.jpg  

Review:  My new Chevrolet Beat-image0591.jpg  

Old 17th May 2010, 09:11   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
I wont be changing the stereo nor going to touch the head unit even. I will be working out a way where I will upgrade the stock speakers and install an amp and sub without hampering warranty
Waiting for your updates on speaker and amp upgrade.
Old 17th May 2010, 11:52   #124
BHPian

Hey Salbin, installed the rear suspension collars on the car?Where are you now? Cochin or bangalore?
Old 17th May 2010, 12:34   #125
BHPian

Here are the pics of the first installment of ICE. The goods were sourced out by my best friend Reo from Bangalore. We both made good use of the sunday at his place and did the install all ourselves.

The front coaxial speakers are 4" Boston si403 Play Smart.

The rear coaxial speakers are 6" x 4" Polk db461.

The amplifier for the sub is Hertz EP2.

The subwoofer is Rockford Fosgate r1l-1x12.

Right now I do not have the sub with me as there was no stck from the dealer in Bangalore. It should hopefully arrive this week or next week, shall keep you all posted.

We managed to hook up the rear speakers and I must tell you it is such a pain to ICE this car. Screws, plastic moulds, horrible provisions for speakers, all obstacles crossed and somehow rigged up the Polks for now. They sound awesome and do not jar at high volumes too. Crisp mids and active high frequencies. Definitely worth the upgrade for all the hassle. We were too tired after the install and had a break and decided to install the front Bostons but called it a day. The front install will be done by Reo later today as I will be in office and wont be able to help out for the install. Till then enjoy a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Review:  My new Chevrolet Beat-image0659.jpg  

Review:  My new Chevrolet Beat-image0660.jpg  

Review:  My new Chevrolet Beat-image0661.jpg  

Review:  My new Chevrolet Beat-image0662.jpg  

Review:  My new Chevrolet Beat-image0663.jpg  

Old 17th May 2010, 12:36   #126
BHPian

Checkout the stock speakers after getting them uninstalled.
Attached Thumbnails
Review:  My new Chevrolet Beat-image0658.jpg  

Review:  My new Chevrolet Beat-image0666.jpg  

Old 17th May 2010, 12:40   #127
BHPian

Here is a stck picture of the sub I am planning to install. Though I do not have it with me yet, the pic is just to give you an idea
Attached Thumbnails
Review:  My new Chevrolet Beat-rf.jpg  

Old 17th May 2010, 12:54   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphilip View Post
Hey Salbin, installed the rear suspension collars on the car?Where are you now? Cochin or bangalore?
No kphilip.
I am yet to get it done for my Beat.(may be I am lazy now a days)
Presently I am @ Bangalore.
BTW you may find my ownership review thread here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-report.html
Old 17th May 2010, 13:14   #129
BHPian

Hey dude, I have few doubts:
- Where did you fix the 6"x4" rear inch speakers? I think the stock ones are smaller than 6x4 is it? Did you mounted it on the parcel tray?
- I remember you mentioning about trying to accomodate the sub under the seat. Is it really possible with the one you are getting?
- Is the mounting hole pitch same for both stock and new 4" front speakers?
Cost of ICEing?
Old 17th May 2010, 13:51   #130
BHPian

So astonlobo, the speaker upgrades alone are causing a big improvement in quality right? I.e. the HU is fine, and GM gave el cheapo speakers?

Thats good news then.. I'll plan my speaker upgrade.. but next year (budget constraints )
Old 17th May 2010, 22:58   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Hey dude, I have few doubts:
- Where did you fix the 6"x4" rear inch speakers? I think the stock ones are smaller than 6x4 is it? Did you mounted it on the parcel tray?
- I remember you mentioning about trying to accomodate the sub under the seat. Is it really possible with the one you are getting?
- Is the mounting hole pitch same for both stock and new 4" front speakers?
Cost of ICEing?
Hey bro

- The stock speakers are 6" x 4". They are mounted by default on their plastic tray next to the parcel tray. I removed these speakers from their tray and replaced them with the Polk 6" x 4"

- Yes i did mention about the underseat sub. Had planned to get an active one but they were too pricey and do not play their money's worth. Then had a look at the Pioneer shallow series online but they did not appeal to me and they were too pricey yet again. So I weighed the pros and cons and thought how much I actually make use of the boot on a daily basis and the answer was nil. So I decided to go for a box sub with a decent quality and power, not that I wanna blow up the neighborhood but something that would deliver good quality sound to complete the setup. So the Rockford sub will be stacked in one corner of my boot.

- Well the front speakers fits easily and took only ten minutes to install. The rear ones were a little tricky. The hole positions on the plates on new and old speakers do not match. But ultimately managed to make use of three out of four holes for screw mounting for each speakers.

- Cost of Polk - 3600
Cost of Boston - 1600
Cost of Hertz amp - 6000
Cost of the RF sub - 8200
Cost of Scoshe RCA cable - 350

Total is a neat round up of 20000
Old 17th May 2010, 23:07   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
So astonlobo, the speaker upgrades alone are causing a big improvement in quality right? I.e. the HU is fine, and GM gave el cheapo speakers?

Thats good news then.. I'll plan my speaker upgrade.. but next year (budget constraints )

Dude the GM speakers are extremely outdated paper cone ones. The rear ones sound ok but we can only leave it to that.

It took me weeks of research to zero down on the most suitable replacement speakers. I wanted the Infinity Electra 4.1 for the front but they were not available with the dealer and had to make do with the Bostons but all said and done, what the setup delivers now is crisp and clean mids and highs. Waiting to rig up the Sub and get that THUMP for the lows.
Old 18th May 2010, 09:11   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
Hey bro
- The stock speakers are 6" x 4". They are mounted by default on their plastic tray next to the parcel tray. I removed these speakers from their tray and replaced them with the Polk 6" x 4"
Got it.
It looked smaller than 6x4 to me! That is why I asked you.

Is it okay to just replace the speakers (as quadmaniac mentioned) without the amp for getting somewhat better quality audio?

What is your openion on changing only the front speakers?
Old 18th May 2010, 20:21   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Got it.
It looked smaller than 6x4 to me! That is why I asked you.

Is it okay to just replace the speakers (as quadmaniac mentioned) without the amp for getting somewhat better quality audio?

What is your openion on changing only the front speakers?

Hope this pic explains it all

Yes the speaker upgrade is sufficient and there wont be the irritating jarring at high volumes which was obvious with the stock speakers. Sound quality is crisp and clear. The setup is sufficient but if you want the thump and boom then an amplifier and a sub is definitely recommended.

Regarding changing only the front speakers, that wont make a huge difference as the rear stock ones would jar on higher volume so you might lose out on the balance in sound. But if you are on a budget constraint then you can just stick to changing the front speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Review:  My new Chevrolet Beat-image0677.jpg  

Old 20th May 2010, 08:45   #135
BHPian

Yes, so for those on a budget, just upgrading the speakers (4 x 6x4 at Rs 3600) sounds like a reasonable deal to up the SQ by a fair margin (and I'm not a basshead who likes deep thumping bass... crisp neat sound is fine by me)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks