Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2010, 11:15   #166
BHPian

@alstonlobo i am getting polk db651 instead of 641 from poona motors, read some reviews of this speaker on the website, seems to be good enough, what do you suggest?

He is getting Boston Playsmart SI403 and has given an estimate of 5K - 5.5K, getting it from some other dealer.
Old 11th July 2010, 15:23   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativeGeek View Post
@alstonlobo i am getting polk db651 instead of 641 from poona motors, read some reviews of this speaker on the website, seems to be good enough, what do you suggest?

He is getting Boston Playsmart SI403 and has given an estimate of 5K - 5.5K, getting it from some other dealer.

Dude 5K for the Bostons is a steal, not for you but for the dealer. Its daylight robbery man! Be careful!
Old 12th July 2010, 10:30   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Infinity Electra 4.1 is a different category and cannot be compared with Boston/JBL etc in both quality as well as price.
JBL also give very good crisp sound - both mids and highs are really good.
I feel both JBL and Boston are equally good.

Yes... 6" components are always better than the stock size.
But was not willing to cut the door pannel.
That is the reason for sticking to the stock size.
For those who doesn't mind cutting the door pannel, 6" is the best option.
I think a spacer ring is also reqd for the install.
Pls post your pics..
Dude, Illusion series are available in Cochin near Renaissance forgot its name. If you need that I can get it within a day. (I mean the shop name)

Yes you need to sacrifice something to enjoy something better than the stock puny 4". Actually I was little bit reluctant to cut the door panels but once I compared the door installation with my stock 4" I got convinced that this is the sound I am looking for. It took 3 spacers each for door mounting, but note that its with less cuttings on the door panel back, hence less rattles even on mid level and yes it will make rattle once you push the volume to its near clipping limit. Am yet to do the damping, but the cost is pulling back.

My ownership and the ice thread on the way, may be next week or so I can upload. Till then no pics, Heck my cam is down cant depend on mobile pics.
Old 14th July 2010, 15:48   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Dude, Illusion series are available in Cochin near Renaissance forgot its name. If you need that I can get it within a day. (I mean the shop name)

Yes you need to sacrifice something to enjoy something better than the stock puny 4". Actually I was little bit reluctant to cut the door panels but once I compared the door installation with my stock 4" I got convinced that this is the sound I am looking for. It took 3 spacers each for door mounting, but note that its with less cuttings on the door panel back, hence less rattles even on mid level and yes it will make rattle once you push the volume to its near clipping limit. Am yet to do the damping, but the cost is pulling back.

My ownership and the ice thread on the way, may be next week or so I can upload. Till then no pics, Heck my cam is down cant depend on mobile pics.
How much did the speakers cost you?
Old 14th July 2010, 15:58   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
How much did the speakers cost you?
Which one, front or rear?

Front: Phoenix Gold 6" Component - $59.99=Rs.2835 from Amazon.com
Rear: JBL GT5 S204 4" Co axials - Rs. 1350/-
Sub Woofer : JBL GT5 CS1215 12" - Rs. 3650/-
Old 14th July 2010, 16:35   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Which one, front or rear?

Front: Phoenix Gold 6" Component - $59.99=Rs.2835 from Amazon.com
Rear: JBL GT5 S204 4" Co axials - Rs. 1350/-
Sub Woofer : JBL GT5 CS1215 12" - Rs. 3650/-
Whats the amplifier you are using for the sub? How is the sound quality overall? Any vibrations which are causing issues?
Old 15th July 2010, 13:33   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Whats the amplifier you are using for the sub? How is the sound quality overall? Any vibrations which are causing issues?
I am using a Clarion XR 2410, 400W 4 Channel Amplifier also from Amazon for $114.58 (Rs. 5415) and it's quite good in performance comparing the money I spent for it. I have compared with my cousin’s car with a JBL amp don’t remember its model no, we found that the fidelity was good with my setup. May be it’s my personal feeling though. Front speakers are powered from the amp and sub woofer is wired in bridge mode. I would say it’s rocking when you play some Hip Hop types but damping is an essential as the hatch door is rattling in peak volumes.

Last edited by sajjt : 15th July 2010 at 13:40.
Old 17th July 2010, 16:02   #173
BHPian

@alstonlobo - I got my Beat speakers upgraded to Ilusion EL 4.1 and EL 42 for 7.5K combine, could not procure Polk Audio and Boston Playmart speakers searched for 2 weeks. Finally decided to hike my budget slightly and went for Illusion series
Old 19th July 2010, 11:06   #174
BHPian

Quote:
@alstonlobo - I got my Beat speakers upgraded to Ilusion EL 4.1 and EL 42 for 7.5K combine, could not procure Polk Audio and Boston Playmart speakers searched for 2 weeks. Finally decided to hike my budget slightly and went for Illusion series

Wise selection. You can upgrade with an amp without changing the speakers.
Old 19th July 2010, 21:48   #175
BHPian

Quote:

Good stuff dude... Did you get them installed? How is the sound clarity? What about an amp? Any plans for a sub? I am waiting to install one Any thoughts?
Old 3rd August 2010, 22:43   #176
BHPian

Hi all, my Subwoofer has been purchased from Bangalore and will arrive in 2 days along with amplifier wiring kit. Watch this space
Old 3rd August 2010, 23:41   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Good stuff dude... Did you get them installed? How is the sound clarity? What about an amp? Any plans for a sub? I am waiting to install one Any thoughts?
I got it installed from Poona motors the day i brought the speakers, so sadly i could not post any pics of the speakers, the attendants there were quick enough to finish the job in an hour. I do not have any plans for installing a sub.

The sound clarity has improved significantly in terms of treble output, bass is not very powerful, i don't know how to put it but the Sony Xplod system i had in Alto was slightly powerful in terms of rear speaker output since they were 6" inch oval and the bass was much more thumping.

However with some HU equalizer settings bass effect does improve on Illusion speakers as well though not thumping it does help in smalls ways to the sound effect if you increase the sound fade slighlty toward rear speakers.
Old 4th August 2010, 11:52   #178
BHPian

Quote:
I got it installed from Poona motors the day i brought the speakers, so sadly i could not post any pics of the speakers, the attendants there were quick enough to finish the job in an hour. I do not have any plans for installing a sub.

The sound clarity has improved significantly in terms of treble output, bass is not very powerful, i don't know how to put it but the Sony Xplod system i had in Alto was slightly powerful in terms of rear speaker output since they were 6" inch oval and the bass was much more thumping.

However with some HU equalizer settings bass effect does improve on Illusion speakers as well though not thumping it does help in smalls ways to the sound effect if you increase the sound fade slighlty toward rear speakers.

4” Comps can’t match the bass offers from 6X9 ovals as the cone is too small to produce the bass. Bigger the cone better bass. If you are looking for the thump, go for the Sub woofer with a good enclosure. Bass tubes are found to be good in bigger vehicles. Once I have seen a JBL Bass Tube in a Bus was sounding very good. But in my friend’s car it’s like boom boom and annoying too. I have powered my front 6” comps and the Sub woofer from the amplifier and rear is driving directly from the HU. In effect rear will be bit more subtle than the front stage. Of course the SQ too in the front.
Old 4th August 2010, 14:58   #179
BHPian

I have bought a Hertz 150W RMS sub from Bangalore and I will be running it on my Hertz EP2 amp.
Old 6th August 2010, 17:23   #180
BHPian

Got my Beat ICE'd finally.
Got Polk audio 6.5 inch component speakers (DB series) Polk Audio - db Series - Mobile / Marie Speakers installed in the rear on custom made 'BassFX' parcel tray
with Hertz audio DIECI DCX100 coax 4" speakers HERTZ by Elettromedia - Special Car Stereo in normal front speaker slot. Didnt have any money left for amp and woofer as had a budget of 15-16 thousand and this stuff alone cost me close to 11,000. But totally worth it. These were the largest size components available, and trust me, they are worth every penny i spent. The Bass is not thumping, but its absolutely adequate and what i wanted. The sound is so sweet and music has started sounding amazing. Crystal Clear sound upto volume 32-33. Jars a little after that.
My query to u all is whether to go for an amp ? Will the sound improve any more with amp (as the dealer suggested) ? Should i get the woofer installed on the parcel tray itself or in an enclosure ? Any idea about "GLIDER" amplifiers ? Getting awesome power for 6000 rs. It is rated at 1500 watts in comparison to peak 1000 of JBL at same cost (as per the dealer again). I have no idea whats better, so, help me out guys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks