Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2010, 23:04   #46
BHPian

Congrats buddy on Your New "i" and Welcome to the club too . RE on the sides looked real good. We all are now waiting for some exterior pictures.

I will get be getting my car's filming and covers done on Saturday.
Old 9th September 2011, 19:53   #47
BHPian

i20 upgrades not fitting?!?

I own a March-2010 i20 Asta. It really pained me when Hyundai upgraded the entire i20 line with steering mounted bluetooth controls & I was intrigued by the 2011 Verna's ingenious reverse parking sensors.

Bluetooth connectivity in the car would be a boon to me, since I'm usually driving alone & hate fidgeting with my phone even a bit if it rings, even if it's only to silence the ringer! I've never been much of a fan of bluetooth headsets & don't like any after market fittings in the vehicles for the same. Strapping something onto my steering seemed plain stupid, although simple! And I've generally refrained from the usual after-market parking sensors since it involves adding another rear-view mirror that looks quite garish to begin with, but also takes away the day-night function.

So, I called up Hyundai Motor Plaza today to ask what'll the cost of these upgrades be if I choose to have them installed at my upcoming service. But, I was met with a curt "NO"! They said the "circuitry" of the new car was completely different and it just wouldn't be possible to add. I thought maybe because I asked specifically for the Verna's reverse sensors & cam, this was an issue. But, as it turns out, they even refused the bluetooth fitment from the fresh i20!

Other i20 owners on the thread below have been met with the same negative response. I still can't get how they can't make the upgrade possible. Does anyone have any ideas? Can anyone shed light on what technical problems one may face with this fitting? The service advisor couldn't explain what the exact problem could be & I think it's just a case of him never having attempted this before. And I don't even mind a HU overhaul. I'm keen to get this done at a dealer since it won't void warranty

Here's the rear mirror with the verna's reverse camera:

Original thread here

And the new i20's steering mounted bluetooth controls:

Original thread here
Musicmaker23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2011, 00:09   #48
BHPian

Re: i20 upgrades not fitting?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicmaker23 View Post
I own a March-2010 i20 Asta. It really pained me when Hyundai upgraded the entire i20 line with steering mounted bluetooth controls & I was intrigued by the 2011 Verna's ingenious reverse parking sensors.

Bluetooth connectivity in the car would be a boon to me, since I'm usually driving alone & hate fidgeting with my phone even a bit if it rings, even if it's only to silence the ringer! I've never been much of a fan of bluetooth headsets & don't like any after market fittings in the vehicles for the same. Strapping something onto my steering seemed plain stupid, although simple! And I've generally refrained from the usual after-market parking sensors since it involves adding another rear-view mirror that looks quite garish to begin with, but also takes away the day-night function.

So, I called up Hyundai Motor Plaza today to ask what'll the cost of these upgrades be if I choose to have them installed at my upcoming service. But, I was met with a curt "NO"! They said the "circuitry" of the new car was completely different and it just wouldn't be possible to add. I thought maybe because I asked specifically for the Verna's reverse sensors & cam, this was an issue. But, as it turns out, they even refused the bluetooth fitment from the fresh i20!

Hi Musicmaker23!

I own the new i20 CRDi Asta model (May 2011 make).
I can understand why your concerned about the Bluetooth feature. IT IS Amazing. Absolutely no need to touch the phone at all. But, I can't comment on retro-fitting the Bluetooth because I haven't seen anybody do it before.

But I can give you a small food for thought. You can try searching for a Music system that is embedded for bluetooth connectivity which also receives phone-calls... I DO NOT know about any such systems per se but you might have to hunt if there are any. This could, of course, cost you a bundle and that too for a bluetooth connectivity.

About the Reverse parking Sensor. I have installed a Reverse Parking sensor and it came for a comfortable Rs. 2500/-
The Brand name is, ACORN Reverse Parking sensor.
Here is a link to my thread where I have posted a pic for the same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ta-crdi-4.html

This reverse parking sensor is working like a dream and is just amazing. As you can see in the picture that I have posted, the gadget sits comfortably over my Rear-view Mirror stuck with a 3M adhesive tape.
It provides ACCURATE distance and is more than enough to get rid of the parking hassels. It also beeps in Ascending mode as and when you get close to an object behind. The bumper has been drilled at 4 places where the sensors were placed and the whole process has taken place without voiding the warranty.

DO NOT go for the rear-view mirror type Parking sensor. After a certain period of time it vibrates a lot. I was about to go for a camera model but I was advised against it. And I'm happy that I didn't go for it. Simply I would have wasted an additional 4-5000 bucks and dashboard space on it.

For a hatchback- this sensor works pretty cool. I personally do not see any reason why you should go for a camera for a car that is not long.
Old 10th September 2011, 01:11   #49
Senior - BHPian

Re: i-20-"Won": My new car steals the show

Here's a little better thing I found! But insanely expensive

IRVM DVR with cams - Car Camera Recorder SALE | Car Security Cameras | Rear View Video Cam

Rear parking cam for Hyundai i20 (It fits in place of one of the numberplate lights while still retaining illumination from that light! Totally discreet and no holes anywhere) - G62VS : HYUNDAI I 20/ I 30 REV.CAMERA 2007-10 PAL CCD CAMERA :: Drive Assist Gator
Old 12th September 2011, 18:46   #50
BHPian

Re: i20 upgrades not fitting?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowaby View Post
You can try searching for a Music system that is embedded for bluetooth connectivity which also receives phone-calls... I DO NOT know about any such systems per se but you might have to hunt if there are any. This could, of course, cost you a bundle and that too for a bluetooth connectivity.
Hey arrowaby, thanks for the suggestion, but I really wanted something "stock" or as close to it fitted. I could go in for a media overhaul which would even have my steering controls integrated, but paying 30+ overall doesn't seem feasible right now. Like you said, "it's only bluetooth" and that's why making relatively small hardware changes from the service center made sense.

Quote:
DO NOT go for the rear-view mirror type Parking sensor. After a certain period of time it vibrates a lot. I was about to go for a camera model but I was advised against it. And I'm happy that I didn't go for it. Simply I would have wasted an additional 4-5000 bucks and dashboard space on it.

For a hatchback- this sensor works pretty cool. I personally do not see any reason why you should go for a camera for a car that is not long.
I've seen your sensor installed in a friend's car & it works great on his City. But, I'm a bit of a tech-freak & really loved the subtle integration of the cam display in the verna. Personally, I've found no matter the size of the car, a reverse cam is of use whenever there're 2-wheelers parked behind you as it's difficult to judge them, especially when there's not much space in front of you to maneuver around.

The hunt still goes on! I've been trying to get in contact with other service centers. I may just get fed up & buy the OEM parts & get them fitted elsewhere, especially the reverse camera. My current thinking is that people are easily able to fit other such units on cars outside the dealers, so this shouldn't be an exception. Unless, of course, there's some ECU crap I'm not anticipating. Thinking I'll just book my next service & talk this out face to face!
The bluetooth fitment seems to be an uphill battle, as that'll most definitely involve redoing the steering wheel, HU & MID

Wildon, could really use your expertise over here!

Last edited by Musicmaker23 : 12th September 2011 at 18:47.
Old 29th September 2011, 20:00   #51
BHPian

Upgrade Update:

Had to take the car in for its first paid service with some bodywork. Spoke to their accessories fellow who seemed flabbergasted with my request. I asked for more details on what exactly needed to be changed to add the bluetooth accessory. Said the steering wiring, central console(?), head unit & ECU would require changes. Apparently, the steering would require the most work and he seemed confused about whether he'd be able to pull it off without wrecking anything else in there, like the PS gears
Tried a lot of coaxing and cajoling but it's definitely not worth getting a job done by a man who has NO confidence or imagination.

Said he couldn't get me the Verna's new reverse sensors, but had some other brand's products ready to be sold for around 12k with camera and reverse sensors. Again, I didn't want another mirror latched onto my present one. I politely had to pass.

I'm just wondering whether it would actually be difficult to get these fitted outside in the *real* auto-world; I definitely don't want to void warranty. I've already been warned a couple of times at different service stations that changes once made to any minor electronics will void a lot of crap
Old 29th September 2011, 20:17   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Musicmaker23!

I own the new i20 CRDi Asta model (May 2011 make).
I can understand why your concerned about the Bluetooth feature. IT IS Amazing. Absolutely no need to touch the phone at all. But, I can't comment on retro-fitting the Bluetooth because I haven't seen anybody do it before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicmaker23 View Post
Upgrade Update:

Had to take the car in for its first paid service with some bodywork. Spoke to their accessories fellow who seemed flabbergasted with my request. I asked for more details on what exactly needed to be changed to add the bluetooth accessory. Said the steering wiring, central console(?), head unit & ECU would require changes. Apparently, the steering would require the most work and he seemed confused about whether he'd be able to pull it off without wrecking anything else in there, like the PS gears
Tried a lot of coaxing and cajoling but it's definitely not worth getting a job done by a man who has NO confidence or imagination.

Said he couldn't get me the Verna's new reverse sensors, but had some other brand's products ready to be sold for around 12k with camera and reverse sensors. Again, I didn't want another mirror latched onto my present one. I politely had to pass.

I'm just wondering whether it would actually be difficult to get these fitted outside in the *real* auto-world; I definitely don't want to void warranty. I've already been warned a couple of times at different service stations that changes once made to any minor electronics will void a lot of crap
If you so badly want the Bluetooth, I think its better off you get a Pioneer 2 din HU fitted. Fits perfectly in the current 2 din slot and also gives you far better audio experience along with the perks of a touch screen and a ton more options to fiddle around with. There is a 3150 (IIRC) 2 din for 18k approx. Touch screen with BT. Or you can go with the 7 inch Pioneer 4390 like the one i have and get a BTB200 module (But this would be a very expensive alternative). Yeah, It will void warranty, but its only voiding your electrical warranty. I don't think the Engine, Suspension and other warranties get void.

Even i gave it a thought initially when i was about to make some mods, but when i heard that even installing a window rollup will void warranties since it involves cutting wires, I just thought there is no point cribbing over electrical warranty since i can't resist cutting wires for the next 3 years

Most Viewed