Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2010, 22:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

It's C-O-R-O-L-L-A !!

Yes, It's Corolla... How I ended up getting it ?? Read on..

The word just adds up smile on my face whenever I say it or feel it reason being it being totally stress free, next to new and clean car and that too at a bargain price.

Imagine the look at the faces of friends who bought a loaded i20 and met to my home to flaunt it & another friend who bought new i-vtech Honda city a week later upon listening up the price I picked Toyota Corolla for.

BIT BACKGROUND and AN ADIEU TO CHEVROLET OPTRA

I have been using Chevrolet Optra from 2004 and was very much satisfied with overall performance. Back in 2003, a TV commercial where in a husband drives her lady in a Optra for getting her Karva-Chauth Vrat completed really touched my heart.

No... no... I a'int a heart throb nor I am talking about lady model, but the concept and the CAR. I just love the overall feel, road presence of car and overall sporty look of the car.

So at the time of car finalization in 2004 it was going to be top of my list for obvious reason

Only Glitch which started tinkering to my A** was my petrol bills which used to touch at least 15-16K a month due to high distance between home and office. At around 40K I got CNG kit installed along and was happy again as the monthly fuel drastically came down to a mere 4-5K. CNG fillment wasn't an issue to reason being enough CNG stations around my home and office as I personally never waited more than 10 mins for CNG fillment at any point of time, though I had to tip-off our parking guy in office usually which got CNG refilled while I am in office.

Now as car was about to complete 5 Year and around ODO was getting older than 1 Lakh Kms, I was sure I must move on. But I was truly surprised to see the poor resale commanded by GM products in market, hitted by which I had to sell off my maintained asset at a bargain. For sure the new owner is very happy and been taking care of here in a good manner as well.

It's C-O-R-O-L-L-A !!-img00057201001151733.jpg
It's C-O-R-O-L-L-A !!-img00058201001151733.jpg

Optra was very very close to my heart, every morning whenever I see her in my compound I a big broad smile sets on my face and I use to say to myself "What a car ?? It runs like a man, eats like a kid and look like a superstar !!" Seats were very comfortable, even for a big structured body like me it was simply Great. I had done many trips in it effortlessly, without a glitch.

I took my wife with it in my home for the first time, I took my kid with it in my home for the first time, I went on numerous trips with wife and parents in it without a second thought. I scolded here at best - topped up 150-160 many times over the highways, even touched 180 at Jaipur highway (Thanks to Stock replacement K&N filter, Mobil1 and a C class :-p) Though we have Innova in our family too but somehow I always like to drive Optra in-lieu of Innova on long trips.

Optra will be very close to my heart now and always, even today when I see a Optra moving on road I give it a look as a perfectionist. May GM have been doing well in US as well I may had picked up Optra again without a second thought but this time with diesel motor. (Have to catch up that C class AGAIN)

to be continued....
Old 16th March 2010, 22:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Ashish !!!

Waiting for the rest of the story...

Last edited by kpzen : 16th March 2010 at 22:18.
Old 16th March 2010, 22:25   #3
BHPian

Hey there! Congrats on your Corolla. I was hell bent on picking up a Laura but then last minute mind changes and the Corolla came home

I got a 2008 H4 A/T with 27k on the odo for 7.5l. Here is the detailed review about it : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...omes-home.html

P.S : Any mods planned on your Corolla? I am planning for Xenons now.
Old 16th March 2010, 22:33   #4
lsp
BHPian

loved the preface. Now waiting for the main chapters to follow. and going by the preface I am damn sure it will be a pleasureable read. Do post your new ride's pics.
Old 16th March 2010, 22:34   #5
Team-BHP Support

Is this the 1.8 LS model? How much did you sell it for?
Old 17th March 2010, 09:48   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

very good write up. Waiting for the full documentary. By the way, is this Corolla or the Corolla Altis
Old 17th March 2010, 10:16   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
very good write up. Waiting for the full documentary. By the way, is this Corolla or the Corolla Altis
He already mentioned that it's a pre-owned Corolla.
Old 17th March 2010, 11:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

One more pre-worshipped car on Team-bhp. any ways you have let the secret out with name of thread. Eagerly waiting for next part
Old 17th March 2010, 11:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice start Ashish, waiting for the next instalment. Methinks you should have kept the name a secret & edited the title later
Old 17th March 2010, 12:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Whers is the rest of the story boy. Even I love the Corolla, so waiting to see the rest. Do post fast, dont keep us souls waiting like this. It hurts
Old 17th March 2010, 14:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Congrats Ashish !!!

Waiting for the rest of the story...
Thanks Prajesh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Hey there! Congrats on your Corolla. I was hell bent on picking up a Laura but then last minute mind changes and the Corolla came home

I got a 2008 H4 A/T with 27k on the odo for 7.5l. Here is the detailed review about it : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...omes-home.html

P.S : Any mods planned on your Corolla? I am planning for Xenons now.
Thanks prateek, you too got a good deal. Congrates.

Yes, I am too planning to have Xenon projector headlights as well, do share any resource if would locate, I had gone through ebay complete assembly without HID were costing around 120 USD something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
loved the preface. Now waiting for the main chapters to follow. and going by the preface I am damn sure it will be a pleasureable read. Do post your new ride's pics.
Thanks, for appriciation. I do not write long writeups usually, but this time it is a story of around 3-4 months... which needs to be distrubuted all together without compromising office responsibilities as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Is this the 1.8 LS model? How much did you sell it for?
It is 1.6 LS, Price : One can buy a maurti alto after adding 40-50K for same

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Thanks, will try to keep up the spirit. It's Corolla mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
One more pre-worshipped car on Team-bhp. any ways you have let the secret out with name of thread. Eagerly waiting for next part
Well, something has to be different naa

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Nice start Ashish, waiting for the next instalment. Methinks you should have kept the name a secret & edited the title later
Dada, As i said something has to be different naa... It's something a guy bought a pre-owned corolla but how come he bought it with a healthy budget of new corolla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Whers is the rest of the story boy. Even I love the Corolla, so waiting to see the rest. Do post fast, dont keep us souls waiting like this. It hurts
Sir, do allow me to work as well I have to keep paying EMIs as well. :-)
Old 17th March 2010, 14:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Ha Ha. Agree. We all silently get stuck on bhp at office, dont we
Old 17th March 2010, 14:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Search begins...

My research started up with a budget, I fixed it up at 10-11 Lakh, requirement was to a car which I can keep up and go to anywhere I can either mountains or smooth roads, but it should take it without a gulp. If it could be an automatic one then it will be real great, but still I won't mind a manual as well. One thing for sure I wanted to have maximum security i.e. airbags, abs etc.. for the amount i was going to spent.

Ran a thread for suggestions..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ns-plains.html

Got many suggestions, some were goo but some were too good.. but somehow didn't got convinced due to my own reasons.

SX4 - Main Suggestion - Test drove it and found it smallish interiors of my liking, didn't felt a big car to me. (Yes, Optra has spoiled me) Rejected

Me: "Everything is good in SX4, but somehow it doesen't feel like a big car from Inside"
Salesman: "Sir, It is big car in every matter in the segment, see boot size, see interior.. blah blah blah"
Me: "Have you ever sat in Optra ??"
Salesman: With questioable face "No, Why ??"
Me: "Then you should and then tell me if SX4 interiors are small or not !!"

Manza - One of the suggestion - Test drove it twice, was very serious in picking it up but the poor product quality and 0% snob value really putted me off. Rejected

While test driving, one of the buttons fell down I looked at salesman face
Salesman (Grinning & smiling): "Sir, we are giving so much in the price somehow small adjustments has to be be made by you as well naa.."
Me: "Am I giving you torned and fake currency notes ??"
Salesman: Looks at me in a questioning manner, his smile is gone, he declined (for obvious reasons)
Me: "When you cannot make the adjustments, why should I ??"

Linea - Test drove it, somehow liked the overall feel but space was too much cramped in rear seat. Rejected.

Salesman: "Sir, being an empty road you can try depressing full accelerator and see the wild pickup"
Me (after running a bit): "Hmmm... It's Okish.. ain't too much exciting. Also, the T-Jet engine would had done wonders"
Salesman: "Sir, pickup of Linea is better than that of a honda accord, it is just interior space this car is lacking off otherwise honda people might had to struggle for honda accord sales"
Me : "Are you out-of-your mind ?? How the heck you can even think of comparing Linea tiny 1.3 Lt. Engine with 2.4 Lt. Engine of Accord. Do you understand that Accord's first gear will end up at a ratio where Linea's third gear will end up"
Salesman (Shamelessly) : "Sir, you believe it or not but it is true"
Me: "Mind it, linea 1.3 is having a poor pickup then even my optra then how can even you think of comparing it with Accord"
Salesman (Again shamelessly): "Sir might be the case that you have maintained your car so well that it's pickup is that good"
Me:

Dezire - Never liked the shape and never tried to test drove it as well Rejected

Fiesta - Bad shoulder room in front row, rejected at dealership only.

Honda City - Car felt good and peppy, found a bit smallish interior but quality of interior filled up the gap. Found it too similar for my taste. But 9.5 on-road and still you are driving a mid segment car... naah.

Salesman...Salesgirl.. ego was too high to talk only and only Honda and Toyota. Stated Tata meant for Trucks only and Maruti for general public cars only.

Me: "Why you are not offering alloys and features which you are offering Jazz in Honda City"
Salesgirl : "Sir, this is the Honda policy to bifurcate two product lines for different segment of people, you'll not find the features a car in another car."
Me:"You mean If i need my car with alloys I should pickup either civic or jazz, but city is not for me right ??"
Salesgirl (Stunned with my answer): "No sir, it's not like that it for customer satisfaction only so a segment higher customer should be more satisfied then that of lower one."
Me: "You mean a jazz owner must be more satisfied then that of City one, right ??"
Salesgirl (Quietly demonstrate another feature.)

Hyundai Verna: I must point out that this car is seriously for a person who understands the on-road responsibility and handle it in right direction. This car is seriously a pocket rocket. Very refined diesel engine, though hyundai should work a bit on interiors and add airbags for sure in this monster. Rejected

Civic : It is the car I had been eying long ago and it was there in front of me, on road 12 something... out-of-budget... but hey I can make necessary adjustments. Drove it, drove like a dream, peppy, luxurious, spacious, 101% of my liking. Ran like a sports car and looked like rockstar. Car entered into the list at no.1 position.

Corolla Altis : What a car, I must say it is the ideal car for one who want it ALL. Features - you start counting and it will not end, comfort - everything you can think off, drive-ability - Very smooth, just like a knife enters into hot butter, overall shape - looks like a distinct machine all-together. Price around 12 something, another contender on no.1 position.

Skoda Laura : Drove the diesel version, simple love the interior, felt like everything available at a tap. Car was silky smooth in drive, moved without an extra effort, liked it very much. But....... I don't wanted to run another thread over t-bhp for being cheated by Skoda Service so left the car without a second thought. (OT - SKODA PEOPLE IF YOU ARE READING THIS YOU REALLY MISSED A LAURA CUSTOMER)

Till now I was sure, if it is sedan is either Altis or Civic... On a second thought, let's try SUV and MUV too this time..

to be continued....

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th March 2010 at 16:46. Reason: removed extra smilie
Old 17th March 2010, 16:43   #14
BHPian

congrats on your buy and enjoy your ride. very nicely detailed story you've written. you got me hooked on. waiting for the next update.
Old 18th March 2010, 07:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

I am hooked, so now enters the SUVs into the game. However was wondering how good a corolla will be on mountains like Leh, or the road to Pangong Tso !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks