Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2010, 00:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

One more Fiat Punto MJD Emotion-1 Year Completed

One more Punto, Yeah Red one, Yeah Multijet, Yeah Emotion. Not news anymore on team bhp, isn’t it?

Date was 6th of Feb. Saturday. Mom and Dad already had indicated that it was high time we got a car. Which car? No idea. They as well us were totally blank. Budget? Definitely something under 5lacs.

Bit of history:
Wifey family had trusty Maruti 800 (Which still is going strong).
My family? Well father always thought of getting car but there was just that thing to be done before that. True in middle class style things kept coming up and before he knew it he was retired!!!!!

Me and Wifey went to HDFC Outer Ring Road to get address updated. There we saw a Brand new Chevy Beat kept by chevy for demo. Decided to check it out. Price was good. Funnily the car on demo was not the high end one. Wifey went in and checked out things while I discussed things with salesguy as if I was very knowledgeable about cars. Cool handles on the rear doors. But biggest setback was that 3yrs maintenance available on Spark was not available on Beat and Cruze at that time. Don’t about now. Beat definitely looked huge from front. But there was too much of plastics at weird angles. Similar to Hero Honda Hunk(when they will get it right?). To put it in other words “Plastics are a bit too loud!!!!”. Just my silly observation, Beat owners spare me.

Took the brochure and headed back to house. On the way was Prerana Showroom on the outer ring road. Went inside and saw Punto. If there is love at first sight this was second time it happened to me. First time it was of course with wifey. The doors were shutting with such a thump!!! And the artist in me recognized the sheer style on this vehicle. Class!! Those clean free flowing lines. That front grille. It was totally different from what market had to offer. And something told me that market wont be coming up with something like that in a long time to come. This beauty will hold its ground for decades. Then we took test drive. For me the fate was sealed. I wanted this car. Economics!!!! Well we live only once. My favorite defence when going for things which force you to stretch budget. Wifey nearly killed a pedigree dog during the test drive!!! Nice brakes Punto I think while I massage my forehead. On forthcoming test drives rear seat for me. We went back to showroom where salesguy took us to financier who was gunning to sell the car outright to us. Here is breakup of Punto Petrol emotion quote on 6th feb.

Price: 533314
Insurance: 15697 Future Generali (free till feb end!!!! Yummy)
Life Time Road Tax: 76264
Regn,Trnsp etc etc: 4750 (Cheating! Price includes transport. Salesguy tells us its for bribing RTO people and other things)
OTR: 630025
Extended warranty: 5000 (free till feb end!!!! Yummy again)
On Road Price: 630025-(15697+5000+8000)=601328 (8000 is corporate discount)

But thanks to Team-BHP tips I ask: Engine Chassis will be of 2010 make?
Salesguy: Sir that will cost you 6000 till feb end.
Me: Can I see communication from regarding the same?
Was taken to Manager cubicle where he showed the same. I give up.
So we are looking at final price of 607328.

13th Feb. We decide to go for a test drive again. Prerana again. This time of a diesel. I wanted a diesel but wifey was maintaining that she will not drive diesel. It’s for truckwallahs and not for cute women with slim fingers and huge sunglasses (ok I added the last parts). She had once travelled in new indica diesel 3 yrs ago and ever since hated the rumble and smell of diesel vehicle.

There something happened which I realized only later while going through threads.
The vehicle given to us for test drive was not a vehicle having demo written on it. I did not check the odo as I was aware that these things happen. When wifey enquired salesguy told that regular car had met with an accident and hence FIAT had sent this one. Point I noted was that this car was not highest version as usually demo cars are but a emotion only. On 16th Feb when I asked the car to be brought to office so that some of my friends can check it out I was informed that it had gone to HQ’s. I do not know for sure if we test drove a vehicle already sold. I might be wrong. But if we did take test drive on a vehicle awaiting delivery, it was un-intentional. And it was not abused. Wifey just drove 800mtrs. Now I have resolved never to TD a vehicle which does not have Demo written on it. Infact this was the main reason why Prerana went out of contention.

Anyways we took demo. Wifey was unable to make much of difference between the two. And found to be steering to be lighter too!!!! I decide that I will have to get expert opinion now.

OT: My wife knows how to drive but is not comfortable with reversing and parking!!!! And has not driven since last 3 years and is comfortable with driving in small town sparse traffic only. Hmmmmm hmmmm hmmmm.

14th Feb Sunday. We go to fellow Team-BHPian house. Discuss the
Car. Opinions are favorable. Showing great spirit they (yes….Husband Wife and Kid)
agree to accompany us to Showroom to check out the car itself. Prerana was closed on
Sunday!!!! We went to Concorde. Salesguy was good. We took
diesel for a spin as it was available that time. It was a long and proper spin.
Was accelerated to 120KMPH. 5 adults on board. Braked hard. Driven over rough
patches. AC was turned off to gauge cabin noise. And etc etc.
Verdict: Road handling very good. Sticks to road well. At under 2K RPM a little
underpowered but very good at above 2000 RPM.

By that time Petrol 1.4 demo car came back. Fellow Team-bhpian duly takes it out but
brings it back within 10 mins only.
Verdict: This is 90bhp(not sure, I have poor memory) but does not feel like one. If you
want a punto, get MJD. Petrol is not worth it.

Also later pointed out that the stock tyres on emotion pk are R15 while on lesser versions
R14. Will make a hell of difference in handling. Suggests that I go for a emotion pack. Or
else later I will repent. Diesel emotion pack!!!!!!!!Wallet sends out an SOS!!!!!

Had food at Bangliana@kormangala. Fish lover’s paradise. Especially good on Sunday
afternoons.

Later in day after thanking Team-BHPian we take off to check out remaining models
too just for sake of checking.

Checked out i-10. Wifey goes crazy for interiors. Now she is more confused than ever.
The car is after all going to be driven more by her. She is going to use it for office
commute. Took a test drive. It was good but it was not a punto. That almost all features
were available on i10 at around 5 lacs something on road made things ever more difficult.
Add to that FE of i10 petrol vs FE of punto diesel.

Next stop was Maruti. Was surprised to see the waiting time for Swift. Checked out Ritz.
As soon as I saw it heart said a bit NO. Ditto with wife. If you are into humour ask
salesman why rear of Ritz is like that. They can generate some amazing tales about it.

By this time its evening and we call it a day.

Feb 15th to 18th. I think on and on and on. Wifey okies Punto.
Finally decided on Punto MJD.

BTW horrors of all the horrors in case you haven’t figured it out till now:
1. I don’t know how to drive car. Joined a driving school few days back.
2. Our monthly run wont be more than 800km.

Why I took Punto MJD when:
1. It’s more expensive.
2. A.S.S is not as good as others like Maruti or Hyundai.
3. Resale value will be very bad.
4. When highway runs are going to be few (can’t commit on that since I am yet to learn driving the car).
5. Diesel cost of 60K extra over petrol version wont be recovered I guess. Since our monthly runs are low.

The answer will be I guess that I am a heart driven man. So is my wife. Life is short and
hence if one likes something on should go for it. And also those so called tales of horrible
transitions from petrol to diesel do not hold for me cause this is first vehicle I will drive.

Somewhere on this forum someone is wondering why even before buying a car Indians
are thinking of selling it. Very pertinent.

Well I never went for that Hero Honda Splendor my dad wanted me
to take. Bye Bye FE!!!

Our first choice was Punto. Among petrol and diesel, diesel was better option for 60K
extra . GTO was bang on target when he said that Punto is a car you buy when you go
with your heart and not head.

Anyways come 19th of Feb, Friday we were back in Concorde showroom with all papers
and the checks in hand.

Here is what Concorde quoted us for Punto MJD emotion:

Price: 578325
Insurance: 16934(Future Generali, Free till feb end)
Road Tax: 82700(Ouch. Come on Karantaka!!!)
Handling charges: 4750(hands in glove with others)
Ex-Warranty: 5000(free till feb end)

And corporate discount was 12k!!!
Add to this 6000 which we will pay for 2010 model.

So final price for us turned out to be 659775.

HDFC gave loan of tenure 3yrs @9%. SBI was tempting but processing time was 10 days. And there was budget to beat!!!! So went ahead with HDFC.

It was Friday. Went to office after all paper works.

Disaster@23rd of Feb, Tuesday:
Call from HDFC loan processing officer.
“Sir, Your loan is rejected. “
Thanks to CIBIL!!!!!!!
Turns out that Wifey had a credit card on which some dues were there.

I ask the finance guy at Concorde as to what can be done? He says that it’s better that I apply for the loan. The deal remains the same. So on 24th I apply for loan.

25th goes in anticipation of getting loan approval sms.

26th. Finance minister is presenting the budget. 2% hike in excise announced!!!
I am calculating the extra money I will have to shell out. Not only on 2% hike but also on the free insurance and the extended warranty as that also was till Feb end (as of now the offer still continues in month of March.).
At 5 in evening however I do get the SMS of loan getting approved.

I told Concorde guys that I have got sms. They tell me to come to their showroom then itself where they will be doing the paper works. I went.

I kept calling to get updates. Then on 8th I got a call from sales guy that they need my Id proof and residence proof since they are expecting the car to arrive on 9th. On 9th I was told that the vehicle has come!!! I was happy. Got the VIN number. I check it out with Team-Bhp. Its Feb 2010 make after all. I told them that I want to carry out the PDI when the car reaches the showroom basement and before it goes to the RTO. Team-BHP PDI does sound warning bells in many a hearts I guess. When I was telling that I will be doing a detailed PDI there was a murmur from some guy that there is no need to follow all what is written on Team-BHP site!!!!

I went to dealership on 10th afternoon with my friend (the same old team-bhpian) and did the PDI. Team-bhp list brought a big smile on sales guy face. I told him it will take sometime. He was patient. Fellow team-bhpian checked out the driver seat, all the controls, everything!!! While I went around the car looking for dents and scratches. The Odo said 30kms. We were happy with the car.
I discussed with fellow Team-BHPian. He found the car to be fine and suggested that we go ahead with the registration.

I gave ok to the car. I went to showroom and gave the needed papers and details. I was told that by Thursday Evening or Friday morning the car will be ready for delivery. Thursday came and went. I was also held up in some work and was secretly thankful about the delay. I was expecting registration to be done by Monday. On Friday got a call from sales guy. He wanted some more details from me. Also informed me that the car has been registered now and is ready for delivery. Now I was in dilemma. Next day was Saturday and that not the good day according to my parents. I did not want to leave the car in that cramped basement till Monday. So talked with my fellow Team_BHPian friend. He suggested that we take the delivery of car on Friday itself. He will be available post lunch. So I also took second half off and soon we were in the basement. The car was ready with some balloons floating around in it. First things first. Again a full checkup. Checked the odo. Still showed 30 kms. Turns out that the car was not actually sent to RTO. My friend checked everything. Once satisfied I said yes and signed the papers. Checked the documents they gave. PUC was missing. Was told that till the end of one year no one will ask for the PUC.

Regarding the Sunfilm and the Mudflaps, they were out of stock. Sales guy promised that once they are available he will give a call.

The good old pujari at the show room did the puja and off we went.

Till now it has been good, taking it out for small sorties. Wifey is in love with it. Planning to soon take it out on a long trip.

Got seats done in JC road this Saturday.

Small niggling problem:
I wonder if any owner has experienced this issue till now.
Punto is giving a rather loud squeak with a hint of thunk kind of noise in rear right wheel when passing over a pothole( to put in more precise words, narrow trenches dug cutting across the road and then half filled in a shabby manner). Funny thing is that the sound is not there when the wheel passes over a speed-breaker.

Any ideas as to where problem might be there? I am planning to take it up with dealership once I go for sunfilm but if someone has already seen this problem I will love to hear from him.
Attached Thumbnails
One more Fiat Punto MJD Emotion-1 Year Completed-up_p1020982.jpg  

One more Fiat Punto MJD Emotion-1 Year Completed-up_p1020983.jpg  

One more Fiat Punto MJD Emotion-1 Year Completed-up_p1020985.jpg  

Old 17th March 2010, 06:09   #2
BHPian

Congratulations on the new buy. hopefully the ribbons and tape did not leave a mark.
Old 17th March 2010, 06:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Have a Fiatful time with your Red Magic - PUNTO.
Old 17th March 2010, 07:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude131 View Post
Congratulations on the new buy. hopefully the ribbons and tape did not leave a mark.
Ribbons were off on day one itself.

Team-BHP any ideas on the small problem i have?

"Small niggling problem:
I wonder if any owner has experienced this issue till now.
Punto is giving a rather loud squeak with a hint of thunk kind of noise in rear right wheel when passing over a pothole( to put in more precise words, narrow trenches dug cutting across the road and then half filled in a shabby manner). Funny thing is that the sound is not there when the wheel passes over a speed-breaker. "
Old 17th March 2010, 08:57   #5
BHPian

@download2live- first off congrats on ur buy ,i own a punto and am absolutely loving it. i dont think we have to justify our purchase to anyone except ourselves. people on this forum are very harsh on fiat for god knows what reason. grace of god i have had no problems with my punto 2 months old and 3500kms so far . after sales automatrix in mangalore rocks so no probs there .i took it on a long drive to chennai from mangalore about 2000kms and it was a joy to ride ,felt solid and steering was rock steady (my fiesta if u hit 140-150 u can feel the steering lighten that i slow down to below it.. nothing like it on punto) . The looks u get from passer by s is enough to make u smile especially little boys who stare open mouthed at it.

one reason i stopped checking this site was the incessant bad mouthing of fiat cars here ,strangely people who own them are happy ,it is mainly armchair analysts of the indian automotive industry who are critical of it. guys if u r not comfortable with a car, any car ,just dont buy it. go for the car which will give u peace of mind but dont spoil others peace of mind. for me BRAND matters ,SAFETY matters, PERFORMANCE matters and PRICE matters the other things like resale and stuff comes later .

sorry to go off on a tangent @download2live but was waiting to say all this and more for a few days now but i have been busy shifting house. congrats once again and enjoy ur ride.
Old 17th March 2010, 08:57   #6
BHPian

Welcome to the Punters Club. Enjoy the long happy ownership.
Old 17th March 2010, 09:01   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats dude!

The Red looks good. By the way all the while reading the buying experience (very well narrated), thought that it was Emotion Pack, but after seeing the pic, its a emotion model.

Please do post more pics
Old 17th March 2010, 10:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hey Congrats. I too got Punto on 12th Mar. I am thoroughly enjoying my drives. I have not experienced any noise from rear right wheel.
Old 17th March 2010, 10:12   #9
BHPian

Great car selection mate. I simply love the looks of a Punto. Add red color to it and the car is a looker. One question though, since you were looking at the Punto, why didn't you check it's competitor i.e. i20. You checked for the i10 which is a lower segment. Hope you learn driving ASAP to enjoy this beauty.

@ Gr8Native

No sir, it's not the Fiat that is getting bashed out here but even Skoda. That is because of the shady and unethical business they follow. These companies deserve it. The material quality is not the best on a Fiat. They have the guts to give a customers car for a TD to a new customer. Imagine if that would have been your car at the showroom and a new client rips it on the road. Not good, right? The other day I went to a Fiat showroom and the guys there were more interested to show me the Tata cars. I always love those Italian beauties and they are condemned mainly because of the service centers.
Old 17th March 2010, 10:13   #10
BHPian

Congrats on your new ride, download2live! It's a fantastic looking car. Fiat's have their good points and their bad points, just like other cars. Things could be better, but then again just look at a Linea or a Punto. Nothing else seems to matter now, does it?

And who says buying a new car is not news on T-bhp? We love cars, new or old. Period!
Old 17th March 2010, 10:23   #11
BHPian

For Some Strange reasons, I always found those going for FIAT's , listening to Their Hearts Over Head , Did i say that i am one amongst those as well ...same story difference being still waiting for my Punto & saving big time to own her at Diwali time , Probably the best diwali gift i will gift to my family..

Congrats Man , got emotional while going thru whole story.. Drive her well , keep her well and put in one NIMBU and few green CHIILY's In front , in typical B,lore style....to ward off evil spirits
Old 17th March 2010, 10:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
One question though, since you were looking at the Punto, why didn't you check it's competitor i.e. i20. You checked for the i10 which is a lower segment. Hope you learn driving ASAP to enjoy this beauty.
I checked out i20 also in the showroom, but it did not pull the heart strings the way Punto did. That rock solid build of Punto feeling did not came when i sat in i20.
Old 17th March 2010, 10:34   #13
BHPian

Congrats download2live!
And great car choice.
Do get your suspension checked at the T.A.S.S. asap.
It's raining Punto's on Team-BHP

P.S. Who's that helpful Team-BHPian, if you don't mind telling us?

Last edited by aman9393 : 17th March 2010 at 10:35.
Old 17th March 2010, 10:59   #14
BHPian

Congrats man...And welcome to club Punto...You have bought one of the finest hatchback IMHO available in India...I too have GP MJD E+ and I am just loving it...

Today I crossed the 9 K mark on the ODO done mostly in city... FE is awesome hovering around 18-20 KMPL....

After sales service is also good I will say it is improving and FIAT and TATA are getting there...

Niggles part...I am hearing some squeaking sound inside the cabin...it may be coming from passenger seat but I need to pinpoint the area (still not able to do it)

Other than this its a great car to drive...
Old 17th March 2010, 11:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats pal, great choice, Enjoy the Bold Italian drive!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks