Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2010, 23:20   #1

1000KM Tata Manza Review and Questions :)

Hey Folks,

I know I know, there have been 'n' number of review posts on Manza already and almost all of you have already read and commented on them.
Hence, I’ll limit myself to providing the essential details in bullets.

Also, I do have a few questions…

Dealer
============
Car: Tata Indigo Manza Aura ABS (Safire)
City: Bangalore
Dealer: K.H.T Motors (Whitefield)
Booking Date: 14th Feb 2010
Delivery Date: 23th Feb 2010
Odometer on delivery: 136 KMs
Free stuff: Floor mats, Boot mats, window film, mud flaps, chocolates
Price: 6.3 Lac approx

Experience: Excellent - they were exceptionally decent and polite! In addition, the car was delivered right on time with everything fitted right in.

Car
=========
Total Driven: 1000KMs
Total Time: 23 Days
Maximum Speed attained: 80 km/h
Millage: 10 km/l

Additional Accessories:
Seat Covers
Phone holder
Reverse sensors

Pros:
1. Ample amount of space
2. All the techie stuff comes standard
3. Very comfortable ride - Suspensions eat up pot holes
4. Smooth drive

Cons:
1. Engine noise (even in Safire) – it’s just too much. With the music system off, it’s just too loud.
2. Knocking sound – Tata’s specified the ideal km/h speed/gear for ideal millage. 1st, 2nd, 3rd speed gear ratios are perfect; however, 4th and 5th are far from that – too much of knocking.

Problems:
1. Clutch – minor clutch pedal problem – a screw was loose which was fixed by the service guys
2. Seat belt/Door buzzer – The car got delivered without the buzzer working! I didn’t even know it existed until I saw another manza making sounds; the same was fixed when I went to get the clutch pedal fixed

Questions
=============
1. Is 136KMs normal? When I asked the dealer he said that they had to drive the car from their storage area. In addition, they took it for a test drive before delivery.
2. Knocking
a. If I change to 4th at 40, I hear the engine knocking till I cross 50 km/h (or 2500 revs).
b. If I change to 5th below 70, I hear the engine knocking till I cross 70 km/h (or 2500 revs).

The above mentioned is observed under normal city driving condition, highway driving condition, and overtaking

Has any Manza owner experienced this?

3. How can the knocking be rectified?
4. Is it just that the car has not gone for its first service and hence, the knocking?
5. Tata does mention the speed limit prior to the first service – why is that?
6. After the first service, can I go beyond the specified limits?

Well, that’s it!
Looking forward to your answers!

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th March 2010 at 23:25. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed, please read our board rules carefully before proceeding further, thanks
Old 19th March 2010, 06:38   #2
BHPian

First congratulations for your new asset. Any specific reason to go for petrol-Manza?

1. No 136 Kms is on higher side
2. Can't say is it slugging/some service issue
3. as above
4. May be
5. For the initial running-In period of the engine. Usually 1500-2000 KMs
6. Yes after finishing the smooth running-in you can definitely go for higher speeds/rpm's

Cheers
Old 19th March 2010, 06:49   #3
BHPian

Hi, Me too interacted with KHT prior to buying my Safari. Yes, they were really good and courteous.

Congrats on your Manza !!!

Knocking in 4th & 5th gear ...
I have been using Marina for 5 years now and I had a similar experience. In my last service, CSR advised me to go till 70/80 in 4th gear and then change it to 5th gear. But, you should be able to drive past 80 then in 5th gear. If you come back to 70, you may again feel the same lag & knocking till you cross 80. This is normal and this is good power band for these sedans.

You might have noticed a sticker saying
1st - 10
2nd - 20
3rd - 30
4th - 40
5th - 50

This is only till 1st service for the engine to settle off.

So, you will get comfortable after your 1st service. Nothing to worry.

Good luck and safe driving !

Prem.
Old 19th March 2010, 07:35   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

@Gautam, Congrats on your car.

Reg knocking : 4th at 40 is early, pls try 50. for 5th, do atleast 60.
For better results, check the owner's manual where they mention the ideal speeds for each gear - during and after run-in. I suspect you have mixed up the minimum speeds and ideal change speeds.

While 136km is high, we cant do much about it now. It's definitely not as bad as some vehicles that are driven down from the factory .. but that's another topic altogether.
Old 19th March 2010, 07:36   #5
BANNED

Congrats on the new vehicle. How does it handle on the city road and highways? Please include some pics. What tyres do you have?
Old 19th March 2010, 11:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Manza. 136 kms may seem on the higher side but it really depends from which warehouse/store location has it come. Don't worry too much, as long it has no scratches. After all we have seen higher than 136 on this forum.
Old 19th March 2010, 12:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhutanigautam View Post
Hey Folks,

1. Is 136KMs normal? When I asked the dealer he said that they had to drive the car from their storage area. In addition, they took it for a test drive before delivery.

Not sure if its normal. I have taken the car from K.H.T Motors. My car was showing 56KM when I took the delivery. They are nice people to deal with. However, I had few niggles during the delivery. For example - the tank lid wasn't working due to a small loose contact. Boot light was also not working because of the same problem. Though they are helpful people I think their PDI is not upto the mark. These small issues like seat belt buzzer not working should be fixed during the PDI I thought.
Old 19th March 2010, 12:11   #8
BHPian

Congrats on your buy. Please post some pictures.
About the knocking -
a. Technically speaking knocking term has a different meaning. Experts correct me if I am wrong.
b. Main reason for that sound is I think you are shifting too early. Please refer to the manual for the correct speeds to shift. My experience is limited to petrol engines only and 40 kph for 4th is too low (atleast for my VTEC).
c. What car were you driving previously. May be you need to adapt your driving style to the torque of the Manza engine compared to your previous car.
Old 19th March 2010, 20:49   #9

Firstly, thank you so much for the replies! I needed the same to rest assured that its not the car that has problems. It's just that I need to get used to it!

I took everyone's advice and drove the car today; guess what, no knocking sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
First congratulations for your new asset.
Cheers
Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
... CSR advised me to go till 70/80 in 4th gear and then change it to 5th gear. But, you should be able to drive past 80 then in 5th gear. If you come back to 70, you may again feel the same lag & knocking till you cross 80. This is normal and this is good power band for these sedans.

You might have noticed a sticker saying
1st - 10
2nd - 20
3rd - 30
4th - 40
5th - 50
What you mentioned is so true! I wonder - why did Tata mention these speed grear ratios when they don't work properly! hmmm...

Also, When I used to adhere to the above mentioned, I used to get a milage of 9! Now that I do not adhere to the gear/speed ratios, i am getting a milage of 10.3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Congrats on the new vehicle. How does it handle on the city road and highways? Please include some pics. What tyres do you have?
Thank you... I'll put up a detailed review with pictures tomorrow for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajanjohn View Post
...I had few niggles during the delivery. For example - the tank lid wasn't working due to a small loose contact.
Same here - my tank lid doesn't open with the lever. Planning to get it fixed when I give the car for the 1st service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Congrats on your buy. Please post some pictures.
c. What car were you driving previously. May be you need to adapt your driving style to the torque of the Manza engine compared to your previous car.
I was driving a Honda City and I used to shift to 4th at 40 and 5th as needed. I believe you are right... I need to change as per the new car!
Old 5th June 2010, 11:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hey! How's the Manza performing? Do you experience any power/torque problems on steep inclines (like when going up the parking inclines in the Mall at Sony World crossing, Koramangala or Nandi hills)? More info, please. There seem to be very few Petrol Manza owners who wish to review

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks