Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2010, 20:06   #1
BHPian

Haste's Child - Ritz Zxi EDIT: Sold after 10 years and 1 lakh+ km!

Yes, she was bought in a hurry, 3 days to be precise, but it was something that was in the offing. She was bought mainly because of the road trip that I proposed to do from Hyderabad to Calcutta for my convocation ceremony. I know that makes me look like a spoilt brat, but let me please explain myself. Dad was initially fine with me taking the OHC , but later after talking to my other friends parents, he told me that the car should have ABS and airbags.

Now since our faithful ikon 1.6, was getting really long in the tooth, and was getting expensive as spares were getting to be costly, Dad was like, buy a big hatchback with ABS and airbags, which you can take on your trip and which mom can use later in the city.

Wednesday afternoon I head to the Chevrolet showroom to check out the beat. Was dissapointed with the space (we were 4 6 feet tall guys to go on the trip), and the variant with ABS and airbags would take a month. The showroom wasn't very eager to offer me a test drive, so the beat was knocked of the list. Next went to the Maruti showroom. I had driven the Vdi before and quite liked it, but paid more attention to space this time, and while not overly spacious, it was quite comfortable, and I quite like its looks, rear included. They again had only a Vdi, but I was promised a Zxi would turn up at my house the next morning for a test drive. Next stop, was the Honda showroom. Loved the looks of the Jazz, and the space inside was mind-boggling. The packaging is just brilliant. Went for a test drive, the engine seemed a lot like an OHC, with low torque, but liked being revved. I did not like the ride, i found it too stiffly sprung. There was a rattle from the B-pillar too. Came back home that day, thought I'd decide between the two after I test drive the Ritz. Dad had a soft corner for the Jazz, our delectable experience with the OHC made sure of that.

Very promptly the Zxi came home the next day. Sit in, and adjust myself. You definitely sit quite high in this car, more than the jazz, refinement was very good. At low revs I found it more responsive than the Jazz too. The ride was definitely better too. After the TD, the sales rep told me a flat discount of 25k, plus around 10k of accessories free, as it was a dec 2009 model. My dad never had a problem with lower resale, and even I was fine with that. Paid him 5k and booked the Ritz.

Next day, feeling guilty for not having checked out the Figo, sat in the OHC, and zipped to the ford showroom. Would not buy the petrol, as power rating was very low, diesel seemed ok. Space was decent, rear seats lacked a little in under thigh support, very good driving position. Did not like lack of rear power windows, no steering mounted audio controls, no alloys for 6.33 on road. Diesel was nice and torquey, but a tad unrefined. So figo was out. Went to the maruti showroom, where my driver got the ikon, maruti evaluated it and were offering a total of 80k for the 1999 1.6 ikon which had run 1.35 lakh kms. I thought it was fine.

Went to the bank and got the DD from my a/c , resulting in only 8k being left. We had to pay them around 4.73 lakhs now. Went checked out the car thoroughly in the yard with a LED torch, as light was fading. Did all the necessary T-Bhp checklist items. Off the shelf they only had a silver available so there went any hopes of owning a car with any other color.

Called the showroom today morning and told them to start fitting the accessories, and that I would come in an hour. Seat covers, floor mats, steering cover, mud flaps, side strips, sun films was almost done by the time I reached the showroom. Some formalities later, took out my camera, took pics of our faithful ikon which was leaving us today, then started clicking photos of the ritz. Was given the necessary briefing, gave my sales rep the sweets box (thanks T-bhp), tips to the cleaners, security guys and drove off. Engine was very smooth, ride quite nice, clutch very light. I quite like this car, build is not the best, but really good for a maruti. Filled in fuel, got the air pressure reduced from the ridiculous 40psi to recommended 29psi, and got her home.

More on her later, and of course the epic road trip with her starts next weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Haste's Child - Ritz Zxi EDIT: Sold after 10 years and 1 lakh+ km!-p1040268.jpg  

Haste's Child - Ritz Zxi EDIT: Sold after 10 years and 1 lakh+ km!-p1040269.jpg  

Haste's Child - Ritz Zxi EDIT: Sold after 10 years and 1 lakh+ km!-p1040270.jpg  

Haste's Child - Ritz Zxi EDIT: Sold after 10 years and 1 lakh+ km!-p1040271.jpg  

Haste's Child - Ritz Zxi EDIT: Sold after 10 years and 1 lakh+ km!-p1040274.jpg  

Haste's Child - Ritz Zxi EDIT: Sold after 10 years and 1 lakh+ km!-p1040275.jpg  

Haste's Child - Ritz Zxi EDIT: Sold after 10 years and 1 lakh+ km!-p1040276.jpg  

Haste's Child - Ritz Zxi EDIT: Sold after 10 years and 1 lakh+ km!-p1040277.jpg  

Haste's Child - Ritz Zxi EDIT: Sold after 10 years and 1 lakh+ km!-p1040278.jpg  

Haste's Child - Ritz Zxi EDIT: Sold after 10 years and 1 lakh+ km!-p1040279.jpg  

bhuvan_prasad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2010, 20:16   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats!! That was a really fast decision! Before you leave on your long road trip, I would suggest you get better quality tyres.... Will benefit you for your long highway trip and your mom for the better ride comfort in the city.
Old 20th March 2010, 20:20   #3
BHPian

tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Congrats!! That was a really fast decision! Before you leave on your long road trip, I would suggest you get better quality tyres.... Will benefit you for your long highway trip and your mom for the better ride comfort in the city.
Yes I thought so too, will go to the tyre shop tomorrow. Michelin XM1+ or Apollo A -drives? Any idea how much I should get for my new tyres, they would have done 50km odd by then? Are these JK's really that bad? I haven't had the chance to test grip, but ride seemed fine. (or maybe I'v gotten used to the OHC )
Old 20th March 2010, 22:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Buddy.
That was a real quick shopping .
Great stuff man, enjoy your long trip and drive safe .

Cheers
Old 20th March 2010, 22:04   #5
BHPian

Congrats Bhuvan, and wish you a safe road trip to Kolkata (my hometown). My friend is also planning to do the same sometime later!

BTW Is this the Varun Motors opposite KBR park?
Old 20th March 2010, 22:06   #6
BHPian

Congrats Bhuvan. Your Ritzy looks beautiful. I'd suggest you get front and rear bumper guards too. They are actually more useful than the door beading.

Do follow the instructions given in user manual for first 1000 KMs.
Old 20th March 2010, 23:24   #7
BHPian

@ schoudhury : thanks for your wishes. will keep you all posted on the trip, and write a proper travelougue, with lots of pics

@ quadmaniac : yes, this is the varun motors opposite KBR park, thanks for your wishes

@ gandhi : thanks didn't think about the bumper guards. will check it out soon. thanks for the tip. am following the usual running-in procedure mentioned in the manual and also in T-bhp. The door beading was more for the look, sides were a wee bit bland without them. and i like the 'ritz' written in the end.
Old 20th March 2010, 23:48   #8
BHPian

That was a fast decision from start to finish. Good luck and God speed, buddy, and here's wishing you many many pleasant years of trouble free motoring. With Maruti, you are assured of support just about in every corner of India. A word of caution, though, with a new car on a long trip, do run it in carefully, because, no matter what the books say and what your friends say, the car is yours and if you dont run it in slowly, its your pocket that will be hit. And in most every case, a car run in well lasts a lifetime. Anyways, as long as you are happy, that is what ultimately counts. Please post your Hyderabad Kolkotta Hyderabad drive experience with pics, if any. Cheers, Ranzy....
Old 21st March 2010, 00:02   #9
BHPian

Hi Bhuvan congrats for your new car as well as for the degree. Follow the run in period and drive safe.

I'm thinking of blacken the front portion (between the grill) in my Ritz with vinyl, attached a photo of Bhuvan's car (done in paint brush as I'm not familiar with PS). It gives a Audi like look. What do you think friends?
Attached Thumbnails
Haste's Child - Ritz Zxi EDIT: Sold after 10 years and 1 lakh+ km!-p1040274.jpg  

Old 21st March 2010, 00:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats bhuvan - and a sensible decision to get a car equipped with ABS + Airbags. Believe me, the premium that you paid for these two features is puny compared to the fact that they might save your life someday.
Waiting for the road trip thread to start - do post a link of that thread here.
Also, please post some three quarter view pictures of your car here.
Old 21st March 2010, 09:32   #11
BHPian

@ DJANGO : Thanks for the wishes and your advice. Be rest assured I will run in the car properly before letting her loose. Her first service will be during the trip, and that strengthened the case to buy a Maruti.

@ gaddiwale : it looks nice, but with the license plate covering most of it, i doubt the amount of impact it will have

@blackasta: ABS + airbags was what initiated the new car search, which ended up in a buy. will post the rear three quarter pic soon. pic no.7 is close but not quite a rear 3/4 pic.

I still did not any reply about the tyres? what should i do? are the vectras not good at all? priority is

1.) ride comfort + low noise
2.) decent grip & handling
3.) fuel efficiency
4.) long lasting
Old 21st March 2010, 12:53   #12
BHPian

Tyres

Just called up and spoke to Ritesh at ashoka wheels. He said I'd get 2.2k for my current JK's, and that Yoko A-drives would be 3.3k, while Michelin XM1+ would be 3.8k. Are these rates decent? In what ways are the XM1+ better than the A-drives? I'll be going post lunch to swap the tyres, so a swift reply would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 21st March 2010, 17:31   #13
BHPian

Congrats on your great buy. That was some real speedy work with the entire purchase.

Don't have too much info on the A-drives but the XM1's are great tyres. Can't comment on the rates though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
I'm thinking of blacken the front portion (between the grill) in my Ritz with vinyl, attached a photo of Bhuvan's car (done in paint brush as I'm not familiar with PS). It gives a Audi like look. What do you think friends?
Actually seen a few Ritz's with that done & it looks real neat.
Old 21st March 2010, 19:48   #14
BHPian

Xm1+

Got the XM1+ for 3.8k a piece minus 2.2k for my tyres. Would have gone for the A-drives at 3.3k, but dad came along, and he was like might as well buy the better tyre for a bit more.
I really can't see what the fuss is all about, tyre noise over rough surfaces has reduced a bit, but the overall ride quality is more or less the same with the JK's. Cannot comment on the grip and handling aspect yet. Feeling guilty for having spent 6k on the whole thing now
Old 21st March 2010, 21:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

bhuvan,

the better tyres will ofcourse prove the mettle in emergencies.

Secondly - the audi idea is good. Do that, and move the number plate to the bumper. Check out zaks' palio thread for the image of the same (essentially a sticker IIRC).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks