Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2010, 09:05   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
I asked that question again since the only reason you pointed out earlier was that Punto is not economical in city and was thinking why Polo petrol and not something with a diesel heart. It looks like you wanted to buy VW Polo so you bought one
I would've considered a diesel Polo but it wasn't possible to book one back then. I even had the diesel Figo on my list but struck it out after reading through some of the initial feedback on the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formel_eins View Post
when I had gone for test drive I had asked SP about service cost, he mentioned that it requires 3L oil change and service charges of approx. Rs1500. So I guess it would bein the range of Rs.5K per 15000Kms.

@Khan75, maybe you have asked about service costs to your dealer??
3.5L if I'm not mistaken. Oil filter, filter element and fuel filter for roughly 300, 500 and 800, respectively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by better4worse View Post
whoaaaaa ! ...4.6L for a Punto 1.4 Emotion pack for a second hand (barely 6-9 months old)! Khan saab ...How did you manage this ? I am sitting with the price list handout from Tata-FIAT motors, this tells me that a new Punto Petrol 1.4 Emotion Pack has a ON ROAD price of approx 6.25 L (post discounts) and you managed seemed to have managed a depreciation of approx 1.5 lacs in 6-9 months on a hot selling car !

Seems like a case of 'desperation sale' (original owner moving out of country on an immediate basis or something)....or did you put a gun to the owners head ? ...If not, is this a reflection on the re-sale value of the model in the first place ?
It was about 4 months old with 4000kms on the odo when I bought it from the seller. Thread here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...4-emopack.html
The owner's son couldn't drive it or something and they wanted to buy a Corolla. In any case, I had gotten it checked by the local Fiat service center and bought the car after they returned it with a clean bill of health. Except for one or two niggles that's pretty much expected of any Fiat and the lower than average fuel consumption, the car has been excellent, especially as a highway cruiser. I've driven to all kinds of places across north India and she has never broken down.
It's certainly not an indicator of resale values as Puntos that are older than mine are still being transacted at higher prices. I guess I was just plain lucky.
Old 26th March 2010, 09:12   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Not really. One of our TBhpians got 18 on his Punto on Pune-Mumbai run. I feel if the Punto and Polo are driven in 80-100 range both will return more or less the same FE. I can not comment on i20 though. The only problem with Punto petrol is, the higher rpm response and engine note is very tempting
I have done many trips to South Mumbai and back from Pune, and obtained 17-18 km to the litre from my 1.2 litre i 20. My rough calculation for e way driving alone at speeds from 90-110 is 19-20 to the litre.
Old 26th March 2010, 09:16   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I have done many trips to South Mumbai and back from Pune, and obtained 17-18 km to the litre from my 1.2 litre i 20. My rough calculation for e way driving alone at speeds from 90-110 is 19-20 to the litre.
20kmpl is diesel territory! I honestly doubt if either the Polo or Punto can get to that, unless someone tries all the hypermiling tricks in the book.
Old 26th March 2010, 09:25   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
20kmpl is diesel territory! I honestly doubt if either the Polo or Punto can get to that, unless someone tries all the hypermiling tricks in the book.
Not really, not on this e way. One can hold a steady 100 almost the entire stretch with marginal moves on either side of that speed to flow past other cars if needed. And at that speed, the i 20 engine is in very relaxed mode.
And if the stated Punto got the 18 for the total run, the e way returns would be in a similar range. In the case of the i 20, this is also partly the other side of the weaker low end performance of the engine.

Last edited by Sawyer : 26th March 2010 at 09:35.
Old 26th March 2010, 09:56   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not really, not on this e way. One can hold a steady 100 almost the entire stretch with marginal moves on either side of that speed to flow past other cars if needed. And at that speed, the i 20 engine is in very relaxed mode.
And if the stated Punto got the 18 for the total run, the e way returns would be in a similar range. In the case of the i 20, this is also partly the other side of the weaker low end performance of the engine.
: EWay is fantastic and you can break records on that road for sure. The full stretch is some 90KM. I do one Mbai trip every month and my Palio with >50%AC always returned in the range of 15-16kmpl with 35% Mbai city driving included.
Old 26th March 2010, 12:13   #81
BHPian

WTH? It seems some unscrupulous folks are trying to make a killing on the new car.
The usual price of the 3M film is about 2K, now the tint guy is asking for 2.5k for the Polo because "he isn't familiar with the car and there might some wastage of the tint film."

Currently drooling over this CaymanS and MINI CooperS style central exhaust:

The new Polo GTI has LED lights in its headlamp clusters:

Last edited by khan75 : 26th March 2010 at 12:28.
Old 26th March 2010, 14:35   #82
BHPian

Wow those polos look very tempting. I had seen a Polo sport picture at my dealers place, it was only the front view, started getting weak in my knees , the rear is gorgeous too. I particularly like the metal oxide type alloys. Would it be possible to make some coating on stock alloys to give them that oxide metal looks???
Old 26th March 2010, 15:24   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by formel_eins View Post
Wow those polos look very tempting. I had seen a Polo sport picture at my dealers place, it was only the front view, started getting weak in my knees , the rear is gorgeous too. I particularly like the metal oxide type alloys. Would it be possible to make some coating on stock alloys to give them that oxide metal looks???
If you meant the "gunmetal" look that's on the Polo cup car, then yep, a lotta shops will do that for a reasonable amount.
Old 26th March 2010, 15:49   #84
BHPian

@Khan75, can you comment on the audio quality, features of the CD player? do the speakers sound decent or an upgrade is recommended?? are you thinking of a upgrade? I had asked SP that can I do upgrades like putting an amplifier and bass drum. He said the moment you put additional electrical load on car your warranty gets void. He also said that wiring of polo is different compared to others. In polo they are bundled together, enclosed in some protective casing and bla bla bla, eventually he meant to say, if you cut any wire you fuse your warranty, so Khan enlighten us
Old 26th March 2010, 16:36   #85
BHPian

Yes sorry, I had meant to post a proper audio review last night but some things got in the way (women and their parties). Anyways, I have a draft report on my home laptop and will post it when I get home tonight.

As for some of your questions:
1. Audio quality is strictly average for the OEM unit and speakers. No "wow" stuff. Completely beaten by the Punto's factory setup, let alone my Punto's upgraded JBLs. In short, at the very least, a speaker upgrade is necessary unless you plan on listening to FM broadcasts all day long.
2. Don't think warranty will be void. In any case, I think uprated fuses and relays should take care of the situation.
I'm pretty sure I have a snap of the back of the HU DIN on my laptop that I had found on some forum. Will post it when I get home.

Last edited by khan75 : 26th March 2010 at 16:37.
Old 26th March 2010, 16:49   #86
BHPian

Quote:
I got a chance to extensively test drive a "Squeeze" green Figo Titanium diesel and "Chill" silver-grey ZXI petrol earlier today and would be glad to answer any queries on comparing the three cars. The Figo is certainly a nice car but I couldn't bring myself to like the bland styling and SUV-ish rear. The differences between the two top end trims is essentially down to safety features- ABS and airbags. There are a couple of other gimmicky differences as well, such as "anti drip wiping" but I feel that's just desperation on the part of Ford to differentiate between the two trim levels.
Khan75, is it possible for you to put in a writeup comparing the petrol mills of the Figo ZXI and the Polo HL. More from the driving experience point of view - the engine response, gearshift, brakes, steering feedback, suspension, maneuverability within the city and highway manners, etc.

It's a toss up for me between these two cars and a unbiased comparision from you (like the current thread) will be much welcome.

Also haven't seen much being written about the Figo petrol on TBHP anyways. Nearly all of them talk about the TDCi.
Many people might be looking forward to the petrol Figo as there is a huge 1 lac difference between the petrol and diesel variants.
Old 26th March 2010, 17:20   #87
Senior - BHPian

Got my first look at a silver Polo coming at me on the road - very imposing and classy! But when I looked at it going away in my rear view mirror, I wasn't overwhelmed. Seems like two cars in character glued together.
Old 26th March 2010, 18:04   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryasanyal View Post
Khan75, is it possible for you to put in a writeup comparing the petrol mills of the Figo ZXI and the Polo HL. More from the driving experience point of view - the engine response, gearshift, brakes, steering feedback, suspension, maneuverability within the city and highway manners, etc.

It's a toss up for me between these two cars and a unbiased comparision from you (like the current thread) will be much welcome.

Also haven't seen much being written about the Figo petrol on TBHP anyways. Nearly all of them talk about the TDCi.
Many people might be looking forward to the petrol Figo as there is a huge 1 lac difference between the petrol and diesel variants.
Will do tomorrow morning. The Figo does have some things that I liked over the Polo although describing it in detail might be a problem since there is a difference between TD'ing a car and driving one every day plus I did not drive it on the highway.

Quote:
Got my first look at a silver Polo coming at me on the road - very imposing and classy! But when I looked at it going away in my rear view mirror, I wasn't overwhelmed. Seems like two cars in character glued together.
Confirms exactly what I had posted on the first page.

Last edited by khan75 : 26th March 2010 at 18:07.
Old 26th March 2010, 18:13   #89
BHPian

[quote=khan75;1805173]Will do tomorrow morning. The Figo does have some things that I liked over the Polo although describing it in detail might be a problem since there is a difference between TD'ing a car and driving one every day plus I did not drive it on the highway.

Thanks a ton. Looking eagerly for your writeup.
Old 26th March 2010, 20:50   #90
BHPian

Quote:
It was about 4 months old ....... I guess I was just plain lucky.
Damn lucky indeed ! Khan bhai, I managed to do a Polo TD today and I like the car !!! By the way, I see the pics you've shared in one of your previous posts on the same page, did you manage to have a look at the Polo with outer (add-on skirting for 50K). I'm sure you must've. I saw one at the VW showroom and boy she looks 'Pretty' (goes without saying in RED) does one get that as a standard in the Highline variant ? (guess I missed asking the sales person about this bit)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks