Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2010, 11:52   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanth_yk View Post
I think it should also include the gear lever.
You are right, I missed that one.
Old 19th April 2010, 20:36   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnk77 View Post
You are right, I missed that one.
Thanks vnk and jayanth! Hope to see long term drive reports from you guys
Old 19th April 2010, 23:22   #78
BHPian

The car finished 1K Kms last week and went for first free service. There were no complaints so nothing much to write about it. The servicing cost was 0. I left the car at White field Honda
at about 10:30 AM and went back at 5 PM to collect it. It was washed and ready. But I observed that the leather seat covers had black stains on them and there was a line scribbled from
blue ball point pen, probably that was from the service adviser's pen. I confronted the service adviser about these. He got them clean immediately. The black stains are gone but that
line from the pen is still visible slightly.

We went for the first long drive in the car to Ooty and back. Covered over 700Kms in 3 days, 16th, 17th and 18th. From Bangalore, Mysore, Nanjangud, Gudulpet, Bandiput, Mudumalai, Masinagundi Ooty.
While coming back , Ooty, Gudalur, Mysore (By pass ring road), Bangalore. This route was nearly 80Kms more than the one that we took while going to Ooty.

We left Bangalore at about 4:30 AM with 5 people in the car with luggage in the boot about 50% full. Drive till Mysore was smooth, reached there are about 7 AM. Since there was no traffic at that time,
more or less maintained constant speed through out. Road after Mysore was also in good condition, but encountered some regular office going traffic till Nanjangud.

Driving was a pleasure. I maintained speed of 80 - 100 KMS for most of the stretches, touched 110 for a very brief period and that's it, beyond
this I was not confident of my driving skills. But the car seemed perfectly balanced at those speeds. It negotiated the curves along the road pretty well, the back seat passengers were all very well
asleep with out realizing that they are traveling at 100Kmph. My mother, from her past experience traveling in my Wagon-R, was worried that she would get travel sickness , but ANHC handled the speed
pretty well with out any body roll.

I faced some problems while climbing up the ghats (I think its called Segur ghats) which has about 39 hairpin bends. I felt that even after flooring
the the accelerator I was not able to get enough power and the RPM stayed at 2 - 2.5K RPMs. I could get just enough power to negotiate the up gradient and the hairpin bends. In fully auto mode
it stayed at 2nd gear. Then finally I had to down shift to 1st gear manually to get a little more juice out of it. In full auto mode the RPM never crossed 2.5K RPMs even after flooring the
accelerator. I am not sure if this is expected, or was there something in the way I was driving, or was it the fuel? I had tanked up at shell@yeshwanthpur and then topped it up at a petrol pump
in Mysore. The drive till reaching the ghats was very smooth and didn't give me any indications of adulterated fuel.

There was an instance where I had to avoid a villager who suddenly decided to cross the road with out following the basic rule of looking to your right and left before crossing. I was at about 90 Kmph and
I had to apply sudden break and do a sudden right followed by left deviation. I never felt that the car was out of control during this maneuver. Is this ABS at work? The steering also felt
perfect at high speeds.

There were 2-3 road humps that managed to hit the under chassis even at dead slow speed. There were few bad stretch around Ooty where the under chassis again manged to kiss the ground a couple
of times. Apart from these all the road humps and bad roads were handled pretty well at slow to dead slow speed.

Two things I missed during thie trip:

- A little more powerful AC with ACC
- More space for 1Lt bottle.

Couple of observations during this trip, I am not intending to make any blanket statement, these are just my observations. Most of the Swifts and Tata Indicas that I came across were being
driven very very rashly. They over take with out making sure that they have enough space beyond vehicle they are overtaking. They just overtake and if there is no enough space to get back to lane
they just barge in to the lane hoping that the other car gets scared and slow down to give him space.
Old 20th April 2010, 09:07   #79
BHPian

Quote:
There was an instance where I had to avoid a villager who suddenly decided to cross the road with out following the basic rule of looking to your right and left before crossing. I was at about 90 Kmph and
I had to apply sudden break and do a sudden right followed by left deviation. I never felt that the car was out of control during this maneuver. Is this ABS at work? The steering also felt
perfect at high speeds.
ABS comes in to play when it senses a wheel lock up. A wheel can get locked up during an abrupt breaking if the tyre and the road are unable to grip mutually for a sudden deceleration. The causes of failure to grip could be a loosely held road, wet road, sand or gravel filled road or tyres with worn out treads. Any of the above conditions can cause a wheel lock when the break is applied abruptly.

If the ABS has come into play you will notice a pulsation on the break pedal with a slight noise (trrrd....).

Note that ABS can't control the stability of the car. For example ABS will not handle an oversteer or an understeer while making sharp turns at high speeds. It's job is to sense only wheel lock.

Quote:
I faced some problems while climbing up the ghats (I think its called Segur ghats) which has about 39 hairpin bends. I felt that even after flooring
the the accelerator I was not able to get enough power and the RPM stayed at 2 - 2.5K RPMs. I could get just enough power to negotiate the up gradient and the hairpin bends. In fully auto mode
it stayed at 2nd gear. Then finally I had to down shift to 1st gear manually to get a little more juice out of it. In full auto mode the RPM never crossed 2.5K RPMs even after flooring the
accelerator. I am not sure if this is expected, or was there something in the way I was driving, or was it the fuel? I had tanked up at shell@yeshwanthpur and then topped it up at a petrol pump
in Mysore. The drive till reaching the ghats was very smooth and didn't give me any indications of adulterated fuel.
Even I have noticed it, I can't comment on the AT, but in MT I usually feel the lack of power during a high steep HP bends and the need to switch to 1st gear. I am sure this is the case with all petrol cars. A diesel may be an exception for early torque curve nature. More so, Honda's are notorious for low torque at low rpms. You will need to get used to it.

Quote:
Two things I missed during thie trip:

- A little more powerful AC with ACC
- More space for 1Lt bottle.
I second you on this. Another thing you may have experienced, during long drives your right hand seems to pain since it's difficult to find a proper pivoting place.

Last edited by jayanth_yk : 20th April 2010 at 09:09.
Old 20th April 2010, 09:14   #80
BHPian

Quote:

I second you on this. Another thing you may have experienced, during long drives your right hand seems to pain since it's difficult to find a proper pivoting place.
Placing bottles was never an issue for me, but the pain in the right hand.

This is one thing I have felt in my last long drive from Bangalore to Vijayawada, earlier with my Santro I never felt the pain as right hand can be placed on the door without any issues and reach was amazing.

But, it's not something with ANHC.
Old 20th April 2010, 10:34   #81
BHPian

A/c and Power Issues

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Hi on the a/c front I agree with you. I have even put lumar film in my ANHC. With the current heat in Mumbai, the a/c does not seem powerful enough to cool the car especially for the back seat passengers. I used to have ford fiesta earlier which had a superb a/c.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Have crossed the 10 k mark. Switched over to Mobil 1 synthetic Oil and K&N Filter. Can feel the differance , car feels much smoother and the pick is also slightly improved. In case you decide to put mineral oil please but the same from outside and not from the dealer as there is a significant price differance[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]A relative of mine has just bought an ANHC in Mumbai. They ordered the same in march but not delivered yet. The dealer has charged them Rs 6250/- for fitting a EUR IV kit. Any one heard of the same.[/FONT][/COLOR]
Old 20th April 2010, 10:59   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanth_yk View Post

I didn't notice any pain as such and I don't prefer resting the right hand while driving because I feel I cannot respond to unexpected events effectively.

On which routes did you experience low power at HP bends?

I would like to know the feedback of other ANHC owners also about how it behaves in steep hairpin bends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post

Have crossed the 10 k mark. Switched over to Mobil 1 synthetic Oil and K&N Filter. Can feel the differance , car feels much smoother and the pick is also slightly improved. In case you decide to put mineral oil please but the same from outside and not from the dealer as there is a significant price differance
I plan to switch to synthetic oil after 3rd service. Does using the K&N filter voids the warranty? Is it really superior to the filter that comes with Honda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
A relative of mine has just bought an ANHC in Mumbai. They ordered the same in march but not delivered yet. The dealer has charged them Rs 6250/- for fitting a EUR IV kit. Any one heard of the same.
I thought ANHC is already Euro IV compliant. Is it not?
Old 20th April 2010, 16:54   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Does using the K&N filter voids the warranty?
Well, in some cases it has come to light that the Honda A.S.S cribs about warranty becoming void if the air filter change from stock to K&N is not done at their service centres.

In other cases, some people have suggested to have the filter changed outside and to replace it with the stock one when sending the vehicle for service at A.S.S.

Quote:
Is it really superior to the filter that comes with Honda?
Apparently, there are many types of K&N filters, not all, each of them may be superior compared to the stock ones that come with ANHC.

There are many threads discussing the benefit of air filters on T-BHP, here is some information that I like to refer whenever I seek any performance mods on my car(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...tml#post489457)

Quote:
I thought ANHC is already Euro IV compliant. Is it not?
The cars sold in certain Indian cities (read here Emission standard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) until March 31, 2010 were required by law to be at-least BS-III (Euro-III) certified. From April 1st, 2010, stricter laws have been placed and these cities now require to register cars that are at-least BS-IV (Euro-IV) complaint.

So, sticking to the law, ANHC that was sold until April, 2010 was at-least BS-III certified. Its a mystery as-to what the max compliance of these cars is.

My Honda dealer told me that ANHC is Euro-V complaint(in December, 2009) but was BS-III certified. He said whenever Indian govt changes its regulations, they will get the same car (without any engine modifications) re-certified under the new norms. I am not sure if he was/ is correct.
Old 20th April 2010, 17:09   #84
BHPian

Hi ,
I have driven my ANHC AT in various ghats which include quite steep ones too, never felt any lack of power.
In full auto mode the car auto shifts to 1st gear on very steep inclines.
Old 20th April 2010, 18:03   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchie View Post
Hi ,
I have driven my ANHC AT in various ghats which include quite steep ones too, never felt any lack of power.
In fact i love to drive in ghats because of power it generate and ease of driving with full auto-mode.
Old 20th April 2010, 19:05   #86
BHPian

Hi VNK,

I did the same route last December with 4 Adults and 2 Kids, I never felt it under power.

Mine is MT.

Cheers
Raghu
Old 20th April 2010, 19:29   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchie View Post
Hi ,
some how in my case it never shifted to 1st gear, I had to do it manually using paddle shifters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
In fact i love to drive in ghats because of power it generate and ease of driving with full auto-mode.
Do you climb such steep roads in 2nd gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Hi VNK,

I did the same route last December with 4 Adults and 2 Kids, I never felt it under power.

Mine is MT.

Cheers
Raghu
Dumb question....but can this happen if the engine is over heated?
Old 20th April 2010, 20:10   #88
BHPian

Quote:
On which routes did you experience low power at HP bends?
On the way from Shimoga-Theerthahalli there is 1 HP bend and since the car was new I was hesitant to floor the accelerator and was very cautious not to allow the rpm to cross 2.5k, that's when I felt the lack of power. I would assume it was my mistake. Now that I drive liberally, I feel there is so much power in stock.

Quote:
I don't think the onboard computer will let the engine to get overheated, as long as coolant is below the required level and exhaust fan is malfunctioning. Pretty much a major failure of the system

Last edited by jayanth_yk : 20th April 2010 at 20:17.
Old 20th April 2010, 20:38   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
shamanth, vnk,

I have never felt that the car is underpowered in the ghats. I have done couple of trips to the Nandi Hills, a trip to Ooty via the short hill climb having 36 hairpins.I have enjoyed it really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
My Honda dealer told me that ANHC is Euro-V complaint(in December, 2009) but was BS-III certified. He said whenever Indian govt changes its regulations, they will get the same car (without any engine modifications) re-certified under the new norms. I am not sure if he was/ is correct.
Kalyan,

My dealer is of the same opinion, when i asked him what does E10 sticker on the car mean. He explained a lot about e10 and how the fuel works too. It was quite interesting though.

VNK77,

your observation of Swifts driving rash is absolutely right, i second you on this. Few guys driving Swifts in Bangalore have lost nuts in their head, especially guys driving the diesel variants. I just let them pass by.These guys are disgusting and are a nuisance on the road.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 20th April 2010 at 20:50.
Old 20th April 2010, 20:41   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
some how in my case it never shifted to 1st gear, I had to do it manually using paddle shifters.

Do you climb such steep roads in 2nd gear?

Its easily shifts to 1st gear during hairpin bends, no problem with it also. I feel your issue is something to do with driving style.

Most Viewed