Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2010, 19:25   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Bose, Good to hear some of your experience till date.
A/C blower - I had the same complaint, infact, every Safari owners. Thats per design and we cant help it. I am used to it now. Onething I noticed is that, cooling (A/C) is very fast, but only that blower is slow. Cant help it.

You came for the Mariamman temple in OMR ??? If I had known, I would stepped out of my home and had a nice meeting with you, your family and its new addition. Ofcourse, with my family

Enjoy the new ride and yes, your City will have a sorry face for sometime and get used to [like my Marina].

Prem.
- OK, so I need to get used to the AC blowers.
- Yes, it was OMR. We need to do a Safari Owner's meet sometime before the summer vacations end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
@Bose: I see oil drops underneath your car in 2nd and 3rd pictures which isn't in the first picture.

Please check that all connections are right. With TATA & Mahindra one has to be a bit careful with visual inspection.

Cheers
- MC, thanks for the critical tip. I have been checking the parking spots and it all looks like water from the condenser. Will give it a second look.
Old 14th April 2010, 20:41   #47
BHPian

Safari is ready for the first service. ODO reads 1973
Did the much awaited Goa trip last weekend. Will post details with pictures by the weekend.
Old 14th April 2010, 21:49   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bose View Post
Safari is ready for the first service. ODO reads 1973
Did the much awaited Goa trip last weekend. Will post details with pictures by the weekend.
Wow - Thats so so fast to reach 2K KM. Seems like you already enjoyed a good ride on ghat section. Eagerly awaiting pics

Prem.
Old 15th April 2010, 00:05   #49
Senior - BHPian

Bose: Looks like you stay in Whitefield area as I see you getting the work done @ Favara car accessories on Varthur Road. Right? I too am put up in the same area and got a EX 4x4 5 months back
Old 15th April 2010, 06:49   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Bose: Looks like you stay in Whitefield area as I see you getting the work done @ Favara car accessories on Varthur Road. Right? I too am put up in the same area and got a EX 4x4 5 months back
Hi - Is yours a Cycus Grey and you stay somewhere in Brookfield ?
I have seen a couple of times, a NEW Cycus Grey EX in the stretch b/w Kundanahalli & KHT Motors while I was roaming around that area

Prem.
Old 15th April 2010, 10:03   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Right CD; I stay in Whitefield. Kadugodi to be very specific.
BTW I am not happy with these Favara guys. Tend to be negligent about the way they fit stuff.
Old 16th April 2010, 11:54   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Hi - Is yours a Cycus Grey and you stay somewhere in Brookfield ?
That is correct Prem. Mine is a Cycus Grey and I stay near Marathahalli bridge. It might be me that you have seen but I have also seen another Cycus Grey EX 2WD in the same area. Next time you should be able to tell b/w that and mine by looking at the wheels - mine being alloys

Quote:
Right CD; I stay in Whitefield. Kadugodi to be very specific. BTW I am not happy with these Favara guys. Tend to be negligent about the way they fit stuff.
I have never tried them so not sure. I have not been able to find a good car accessories shop around this area. When I was put up in Koramangala till 4 years back, I used to go to Sachin's Auto Shop (near Juke Box) and was very happy with their service and quality of work. Try them sometimes if you are going that side.
Old 21st April 2010, 20:29   #53
BHPian

Finally managed to find some time to update the thread. Has been a very busy/active fortnight since the Safari arrived. Have done around 2200 km so far and a large portion of this is from the GOA trip we did last weekend. A bit of a background before someone asks .. GOA in April?
I had to complete 4 dives for my open water PADI certification. <Yes, I am an amateur scuba diver> I needed to complete this before May since there is a time limit between the exam and the actual dives. The diving season in GOA ends in April hence the trip. Could have done Andamans but then it would have been costly and you cannot drive to Andaman ;-)

Back to the Safari. The first few days went in getting acquainted with the clutch, gear change, turning radius etc. Used the highway route to commute to office so that I could get used to overtaking etc.

A day before the trip I called up Concorde and sent the car for a basic checkup. The wheel alignment was wrong since I could feel the pull to the left and I also wanted to do something about the read door squeal. They sent someone to pick it up and I had the car back at 8 PM. I had also got the tyres filled up with nitrogen for the long highway drive. The had done a reasonable job on the door. The wheel alignment was OK and the only money I paid was 160 INR for the nitrogen. Other preparations for the trip included a mapmyindia roadpilot, a 12V tyre inflater, a converter for AC supplies from the 12V outlet <you can get one for 20 USD in Fry's> and the tubeless puncture kit from the my Honda. Music and movie CDs in case Khushi gets bored. The AC converter is a great help for running the laptop in the car. After looking at the Bangalore-Goa thread I decided to take the Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi route to get to GOA. The Dive shop www.goaaquatics.com is in Calangute. So entering GOA from the north was preferable for me.

Started from the basement at 5.45 AM on Friday. GPS showing ETA as 11.30 PM. I realized that the GPS assumes an average speed much lower than what one can achieve on the highway these days. Took some time to get tuned to the car .. reached Neelmangla in about an hour from Whitefield. The road stretch when you are just out of Bangalore in just horrible. Hope they really finish the construction soon. After Neelmangla the GQ takes shape and we started doing good time. 5th gear, 2100-2200 RPM, 100 kmph is the sweet spot. Really impressive noise isolation in this vehicle. Yes, I am saying this after riding a Honda for 6 years. The isolation is dB is Safari is definitely higher.
The best part was the feel. Safari at 100 gives the same stability feel as the City at 75/80. My wife has the habit of monitoring the speedo from the rear seat when we drive the Honda but in this car she did not bother.

A few pics of the NH
The Black Beauty - My 2010 Tata Safari GX 4X4-nh1.jpg
I am loving it
Name:  i_love_this_ride.JPG
Views: 2959
Size:  130.8 KB
2100 rpm, 100 kmph
The Black Beauty - My 2010 Tata Safari GX 4X4-2100_5_100.jpg
The Black Beauty - My 2010 Tata Safari GX 4X4-nh2.jpg

Road to Amboli from Belgaum
The Black Beauty - My 2010 Tata Safari GX 4X4-sawantwadi.jpg
The Black Beauty - My 2010 Tata Safari GX 4X4-sunflowers.jpg
The Black Beauty - My 2010 Tata Safari GX 4X4-look_at_me.jpg
The Black Beauty - My 2010 Tata Safari GX 4X4-look_at_me2.jpg
The Black Beauty - My 2010 Tata Safari GX 4X4-sunflowers2.jpg

Refreshments at Amboli - Vada and Chai. Yummy
The Black Beauty - My 2010 Tata Safari GX 4X4-bada_chai.jpg
Berries
The Black Beauty - My 2010 Tata Safari GX 4X4-berries.jpg
At the resort - Little Italy
The Black Beauty - My 2010 Tata Safari GX 4X4-look_at_me3.jpg

Driving on the Ghat was a great experience. On the way to Goa it is mostly downhill. Kept at 3rd gear most of the time. Engine compression for slowing down. On the climbs just maintained the rev. The Safari pulls amazingly at 3rd at slopes which are at about 15-20 degrees. On the way back while I climbed Almod-Ghat I did the climb almost with zero clutch. 3rd gear, 1500-1700 rpm, 30-40 kmph. The traffic was of course low; but it was just so comfortable.

Did Goa in 13 hours with peaceful driving. Top speed 110.
The next two days were hectic. Out at the sea from 8 AM to 2 PM. Clocked 3.25 hours. Got my license. We dived off the Grande Island. Did Suzy's wreck.
The Black Beauty - My 2010 Tata Safari GX 4X4-diveshop.jpg
The Black Beauty - My 2010 Tata Safari GX 4X4-water_skill.jpg
The Black Beauty - My 2010 Tata Safari GX 4X4-underwater.jpg
At last we are done
The Black Beauty - My 2010 Tata Safari GX 4X4-done_wth_dives.jpg
Afternoons and Evenings were reserved for food and fun
The Black Beauty - My 2010 Tata Safari GX 4X4-beads.jpg
The Black Beauty - My 2010 Tata Safari GX 4X4-too_many_emails.jpg

Started on Monday at 6 AM. Took the Molem route. Extremely nice roads. Took the Khanapur shortcut to NH4. Made it to Bangalore in 12 hours
A stretch on NH4A
The Black Beauty - My 2010 Tata Safari GX 4X4-nh4a.jpg

Caught some welcome rain at Chitradurga. Tested the wipers. Front ones are making some noise in the initial few minutes.

Verdict - If you want a vehicle to see India and you want to do it in style this is your car.
Old 21st April 2010, 21:10   #54
BHPian

Quote:
A day before the trip I called up Concorde and sent the car for a basic checkup.
After Neelmangla the GQ takes shape and we started doing good time. 5th gear, 2100-2200 RPM, 100 kmph is the sweet spot.
The best part was the feel. Safari at 100 gives the same stability feel as the City at 75/80. My wife has the habit of monitoring the speedo from the rear seat when we drive the Honda but in this car she did not bother.
The Safari pulls amazingly at 3rd at slopes which are at about 15-20 degrees. On the way back while I climbed Almod-Ghat I did the climb almost with zero clutch. 3rd gear, 1500-1700 rpm, 30-40 kmph.
Verdict - If you want a vehicle to see India and you want to do it in style this is your car.
Bose, Nice, Crisp, Clean write-up and I am just tempted to go for the trip though I dont anything like diving

I think, I should also do the checkup prior to my next highway to be on safer side. Thanks for the tip.

YES - 5th gear + 100/110 is just so comfortable and none can feel any vibration except a positive vibe and YES - my wife too has that habit and she didnt complain when we went for Tirupathi !

Talking of up-hill, YES, its too good and I too liked the pull. Try 3rd gear + 2000 rpm + 50 kmph. You will love it even better !

100% Agree with your verdict.

Once again, you just make me travel to GOA. I dont know when I will !

Prem.
Old 21st April 2010, 22:51   #55
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new truck Bose. One thing about it is that the more you drive it, the more addictive it begins to get.
I too got the ipod cable installed, but instead of putting it in the glove box, it comes out from the right side and plugs into my ipod which sits in a windscreen mounted holder just like your roadpilot. Its much more easier and convenient to use if you are driving, since its at eye level without having to stretch out.
I like you Safari dual tone color.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 22nd April 2010, 09:26   #56
Senior - BHPian

Hi Bose,

How accurate and useful is the ROADPILOT ? Could you please post some feedback on it. I am considering installing one in my Safari before my next road trip.

Thanks.

Jay
Old 22nd April 2010, 13:36   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Hi Bose,

How accurate and useful is the ROADPILOT ? Could you please post some feedback on it. I am considering installing one in my Safari before my next road trip.

Thanks.

Jay
The maps are good. Even the most simple of petrol bunks and ATMs are documented. My biggest motivation was the map. It even maps my parent's home in Durgapur, West bengal.

The device is a simple one. Apart from the basic GPS most features have been disabled. e.g. I cannot get the GPS log out of the device. At least have not figured out an easy legal way.
The GPS performance is nothing exciting but it serves the purpose. The TTFF <time to first fix> is about 30 secs to 1 min and the sensitivity is not great. I am not sure how it will perform in the urban canyons like mumbai but in Bangalore type of skyline it was OK. It had a constant error of 50-100m in the ghat roads and forests. I do not know if was the multipath effect or the error of the map.
The navigator - Again simple. I could not force it to via through some destinations. I had to actually set it for the intermediate destinations in order to navigate.

Summary - it is great VFM for India. 8K for the entire set. But I would not recommend the "device" if you were to use it for getting out of the parking lot of Ohare or JFK in search of your hotel. <you will not be able to load maps other than India but I was just giving an example>
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:19   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The maps are good....
The device is a simple one....
Bosa da - my primary requiremnt is good positioning rather than navigation. All I want is a device which would tell me where I am on a map and I can take care from there on Is RoadPilot a good VFM from that perspective?
Old 23rd April 2010, 14:53   #59
BHPian

@ Bose: Great choice and congratulations on the beast.

I had bought a 5800 Xpressmusic just for the maps and after buying it I realised it has maps of only for 5-6 major cities in India. That' a good 13 K gone down the drain.

I think the Gramin thing offered by Map my India is some what better. Any views???
Old 23rd April 2010, 15:55   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bosa da - my primary requiremnt is good positioning rather than navigation. All I want is a device which would tell me where I am on a map and I can take care from there on Is RoadPilot a good VFM from that perspective?
In that case all you need is a GPRS/WAP enabled phone with google maps.

Most Viewed