Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2010, 12:36   #61
Senior - BHPian

Hi Everyone,

My first service is due next week.

I'm planning to have a full checkup as well as oil changes. Also planning for an underchassis and body coating. I hear dupont discontinued teflon coating, so am exploring other body protection means.

Suggestions are welcome. :-)
Old 3rd May 2010, 19:50   #62
Senior - BHPian

First Service of my Innova

Hi Everyone,

I'm back.

Yesterday was the first service day for my Innova. I had fixed the appointment almost a week ago. Though I'd preferred a saturday, being a public holiday, Nandi Toyota remained closed. I chose Sunday, being the next convenient day.

I was given the first appointment, at 9AM. The staff arrived promptly on time and took the car for service.

I had specifically requested for the following:

(1). Check all systems (Electrical, mechanical, chassis)
(2). Check all fluids and see if any required replacement.
(3). Under chassis painting.

Luckily, nothing required replacement. Nandi Toyota service engineers suggested I would only require the oil change at 10000kms.

The under chassis painting was done in about 30 mins. This is a rubberized coating. It comes with a 5 year warranty.

The total cost came to about INR 2500/-, including the under chassis coating.

The service engineers also confirmed its safe to fuel from Shell Diesel, as long as its the "Normal" diesel.
Old 10th May 2010, 12:53   #63
Senior - BHPian

@Nitin
Congratulations on your purchase. We bought our diesel v model in Oct'09. Has been fun driving it especially as it packs in the whole family.
Like btirthankar says in his post - important to keep it as stock as possible which I have - have only added a rear nudge guard and bought myself the XCarLink which I got installed professionally.
Now a question - have anyone ever noticed that the following characteristics or is my driving style that's at fault?

a) When I am trying to go on a slight curve at about 80-90 , I feel as if the car will go flying off the road.
Vehicle feels as if it is oversteering.

b) When I am driving the car fully loaded, it does feel a bit under-powered on pick-up. especially when trying to pass other lighter vehicles.
Old 11th May 2010, 10:27   #64
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Like btirthankar says in his post - important to keep it as stock as possible which I have
Agreed. The Innova is all about functionality and practicality (not drag racing). Best to keep it as stock as possible.

Quote:
When I am trying to go on a slight curve at about 80-90 , I feel as if the car will go flying off the road.
First time with a utility vehicle? Its known as body roll. The tall stance / higher center of gravity is at play here. It is recommended to adopt a demure driving style (vis a vis hatchbacks / sedans) when cornering in an MUV / SUV. UVs feel distinctly top heavy.

Quote:
When I am driving the car fully loaded, it does feel a bit under-powered on pick-up. especially when trying to pass other lighter vehicles.
When unladen, the Innova diesel has a power to weight ratio of only 60 BHP / ton. Say, you're carrying 4 passengers for a total averaged weight of 400 kilos (including driver), the power / weight drops to a measly 49 BHP / Ton. Most hatchbacks / sedans are anywhere between 75 - 100 BHP / Ton, so don't try passing that enthusiastically driven Palio 1.6
Old 11th May 2010, 16:10   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
so don't try passing that enthusiastically driven Palio 1.6
@GTO : I think as always you've got it absolutely right. For many people upgrading to a MUV, their mindsets regarding performance/speed etc still remain aligned with what the earlier rides were capable of. In my case it was the Palio 1.9 D - which used to be perceived by many as a driver's car with great feedback and a certain vroom factor (certainly less than the 1.6 but good nevertheless).

And as in all things, driving styles must reflect the passing of time and therefore am reconciled to the sedateness in life/driving style that come with age.
Old 11th May 2010, 22:26   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
@Nitin
Congratulations on your purchase. We bought our diesel v model in Oct'09. Has been fun driving it especially as it packs in the whole family.
Like btirthankar says in his post - important to keep it as stock as possible which I have - have only added a rear nudge guard and bought myself the XCarLink which I got installed professionally.
Now a question - have anyone ever noticed that the following characteristics or is my driving style that's at fault?

a) When I am trying to go on a slight curve at about 80-90 , I feel as if the car will go flying off the road.

b) When I am driving the car fully loaded, it does feel a bit under-powered on pick-up. especially when trying to pass other lighter vehicles.

I have driven at speeds above 80kph but not had any such feeling. However, I guess it could be the roads that you drive. Do understand the Indian roads (most of them) are simple coats of tar and are not designed for any specific speeds. Further, the curves are again not created for any maximum speed, i.e. at speeds equal-to or below, one may simply keep the steering at one position and the vehicle should negotiate smoothly.

However, I've seldom seen such curves/bends where one has to constantly steer, add to this the uneven surface of the road which gives you the "off-steer" feeling.

I have felt this the second time I'd fuelled from an HP petrol station. However when the filters were cleaned during the first service, everything became normal. I'd recommend you fuel from a known petrol station or Shell and do keep the tyre pressure at optimum levels.

The front bull I'd installed is made of fiber and approved by Toyota. In the event of a severe collision, the bull guard would shatter transferring the shock to the bumper, thus activation the SRS/Air bags.

Nitin.

Last edited by nitinbose : 11th May 2010 at 22:29.
Old 17th May 2010, 14:23   #67
Senior - BHPian

Am I conned?

Hi Everyone,

I recently took my car to Nandi Toyota, Bangalore for a 3M body coating (paint protection). This was duly done but to my shock, I found the warranty card nowhere mentions "3M", though the service person assured me its 3M.

Strangely enough, after three days, I found there is no shine at all, the car just looks like the way it was.

I began to suspect and called up 3M. My warranty card mentions "HiGlow Tefcoat". 3M confirmed they have no such product and its quite probable that Nandi Toyota gave me some other product.

I called up the service person and he still assures me its 3M, though no shine appears for paint protection.

I have registered a complaint with Toyota and waiting for resolution.

Apparently, my car was also badly handled; the seats were misconfigured, the aircon, music systems etc., had their settings changed. A usually keep a bottle of water in the car which is also missing.

Worst of all, the sunfilm on the windshield and right-back-side window is having some cracks.

So I believe, all service centers are just "Workshops".
Old 21st May 2010, 18:28   #68
Senior - BHPian

Dead Pedal

Nitin / Innova Owners

Do you find the need for a dead pedal in Innova. If on long trips, once you put it in 5th and drive, do you feel there can be a dead pedal.

I use a santro and find the dead pedal very useful.

your views please
Old 22nd May 2010, 02:12   #69
Senior - BHPian

Well-to say from experience, all my cars have had dead pedals before I bought the innova. (Fiat Uno, Baleno and Santro). While we miss the dead pedal for the first week, ultimately you get used to it and dont miss it much.

On the long drives, you will not miss it at all as you dont use the clutch much.

Also - the Innova clutch is a bit long travel and dead pedal or not, the foot will have to move a bit to press it.
Old 23rd May 2010, 20:01   #70
Senior - BHPian

3M Treatment Finally

Hi Everyone!

After raising a bit of a noise, I did manage to get the genuine 3M paint protection treatment from Nandi Toyota.

The service person seems to have done this intentionally. He gave me the warranty card of some "HiGlow Tefcoat" along with a 3M pamphlet. Anybody would have simply taken it for 3M, until I verified this product with 3M.

I made sure the coating was done in my presence. please find the pics attached.

For the price we're paying, I found it unbelievable that they're simply applying the whole thing as a polish and buffing - thats all it takes. I feel we could buy some polish (good quality) and do this ourselves at a fraction of the cost.

Apologies for the poor quality pics because it was taken from my mobile phone camera.

Another part I found quite shocking and feel it utmost important to tell you all is what I heard from the technicians - who were standing and having some general talk on their own.

They were proudly mentioning on how they interchanged the glass of some qualis! I could not believe this happens with Toyota as well.

Friends, I promised myself NEVER to leave the car with the dealer. I would make sure the whole thing is done in my presence!

I would suggest others do the same.

We pay up hundreds of thousands for a car of our choice, only to be cheated my some money-hungry dealers.

I did complain to the CR, however, they spoke in a defensive tone so I feel this is a racket between the dealers and some spares dealers!
Attached Thumbnails
My Innova has arrived!!!-img00003201005221058.jpg  

My Innova has arrived!!!-img00004201005221101.jpg  

My Innova has arrived!!!-img00005201005221107.jpg  

My Innova has arrived!!!-img00006201005221107.jpg  

My Innova has arrived!!!-img00007201005221117.jpg  

My Innova has arrived!!!-img00008201005221118.jpg  

My Innova has arrived!!!-img00009201005221118.jpg  

My Innova has arrived!!!-img00011201005221118.jpg  

My Innova has arrived!!!-img00012201005221138.jpg  

My Innova has arrived!!!-img00013201005221138.jpg  

Last edited by nitinbose : 23rd May 2010 at 20:05.
Old 24th May 2010, 09:55   #71
Senior - BHPian

Qualis Glass change Cheating issue

Nitin Da,

Nice Pics

Good that you fought and got athe orignal 3M. They cheat us unless they are sure we know our stuff. Most customers go to the dealer and order for stuff as if they would buy a packet of dish washing soap from provision stores.

There are very few who research (I am referring to Non-Tbhpians) and then buy a car.

I have an idea for that "Qualis Glass Change" issue. Drive your Innova to some Glass merchant and "Etch" your Registration numbers on all 8 glasses. From Team-BHP I infer that It should take you INR 200/- at the max. This will save you trouble of standing with them, if you job does not allow syou you to do so. I mean they might just say it will take 8 hrs for the repair work, You are in que number xxxx etc and shoo you away.
Old 26th May 2010, 08:49   #72
BHPian

Does anyone know where the etching can be done in Bangalore I have just booked an Innova Vx and etching the glass sounds like a good idea.
Old 26th May 2010, 10:00   #73
Senior - BHPian

I have another question about Innova. Does 2009 / 2010 Innova V / VX come with 5 alloys or 4 Alloys + 1 Steel wheel. ?
Old 26th May 2010, 10:04   #74
Senior - BHPian

Arvindr - Try this address . I am not sure if they undertake for car, but still give it a try

Sridevi Chemicals
Location - No.98/1, Balepet Cross, Lakshman Rao Road, Balepet, Bangalore - 560053

080-66497233
Old 26th May 2010, 12:31   #75
BHPian

Thanks Bharath, Will try that

Most Viewed